Start by marking “The Summer Wives” as Want to Read:
The Summer Wives

The Summer Wives

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  16,153 ratings  ·  1,933 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Beatriz Williams brings us the blockbuster novel of the season—a spellbinding novel of romance, murder, class, power, and dark secrets set in the 1950s and ’60s among the rarified world of a resort island in the Long Island Sound . . .

In the summer of 1951, Miranda Schuyler arrives on elite, secretive Winthrop Island in Long Island Sound a
Published July 10th 2018 by William Morrow (first published July 3rd 2018)

Meredith
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads

“Nobody ever says what they really mean. There is this vast fabric of tender little lies, and all the important things are unspoken. Boiling there underneath. We only bother telling the truth when it’s too small to count.”

Dark secrets, lies, and betrayals set the stage for The Summer Wives. This chaotic saga is built around exclusive Winthrop Island, where the rich vacation and the locals live modest lives. The class lines create a comfortable divide, but when boundaries are crossed, it
Diane S ☔
THE HAVES AND THE HAVE NOTS......the genesis of many a tome. Here, it is a summer enclave on Long Island Sound, where the wealthy come to their summer mansions, their country club, their parties. The year round people make their living from shops, as servants and from the ocean. Miranda arrives at the age of seventeen, when her mother marries into one of these wealthy families, not used to the ways of the rich. She will fall in love and become entangled in something she little understands.

Diffe
Helene Jeppesen
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was pretty much bored throughout most of this book, and while it wasn’t bad enough for me to DNF it, I didn’t at any point feel compelled to pick it up.
Miranda, a national movie star, returns back to an American island after many years of absence. This island is a closed community where everyone knows each other and their secrets, and Miranda is visibly nervous to go back and reveal herself.
The closed and protective community of this island is what drives the plot forward, and I wasn’t buyin
Katie B
Miranda Schuyler has arrived on Winthrop Island in the summer of 1951. Her mother is set to marry Hugh Fisher, and after the wedding she will be spending the summer in his home with her new stepsister, Isobel. Miranda soon realizes there are two types of people on the island, the wealthy who come to the island to stay in their vacation homes and dine at the country club, and the working class make ends meet by catering to the rich. As Isobel shows her around the island, Miranda is drawn to Josep ...more
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it

Miranda has come back after eighteen years to the island where she has spent every summer since her mother married into the prestigious Fisher family. She hasn’t told anyone the reason why she has returned to Winthrop’s Island with bruises that no one mentions, but since she stays for a relatively long time, the reason can be assumed even though it might be the wrong guess.

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

2.5 Stars

Before I begin, let me say that this is not a book that normally falls into my wheelhouse when it comes to my “must reads.” So how did I end up with it? Well, there are several reasons. To begin with, where I live . . . .

Also, along with my favorite time of year of bulky sweaters that hide my fat, comes my arch nemesis of basic bitches . . . .

*shudder*

So I figured I might as well read as many “summery” things as possible b
Umut Reviews
Please find full review on my blog: https://umutreviews.wordpress.com/201...
I love a good historical fiction full of family saga, some mysteries of the past and a bit of romance. This book is exactly that!
The book is set up in several time frames, and we travel within these times back and forth. I love this type of books in which we travel in time to slowly put the whole picture together. And this book really keeps you on the edge till the VERY end 🙂
Miranda Schuyler is our main character, who a
♥ Sandi ❣
4.5 stars Thanks to BookBrowse and William Morrow for allowing me to read and review this ARC. Publication July 10, 2018.

Although I have heard that Beatriz Williams was a good author, I had never read her before. I do have a number of her books on my TBR list however. Now that I have read one of her books, all the rest of them need to be elevated to the top of my reading list. I found her character development to be superb. The story line was well thought out and flowed well, while bouncing bet
Renee (itsbooktalk.com)
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! Told in alternating time periods between 2 women, only Beatriz Williams can pull this type of narrative off SO well. I loved the setting...a little island...and how she was able to evoke the details of the time and place so that I felt I was there, sipping one of MANY cocktails with the characters in the story. I thought she weaved a fantastic story and although I may have had a tiny issue with an event at the end, it wasn't enough to influence my enjoyment of the way ...more
Kate Olson
Thanks to TLC Book Tours and William Morrow Books for this free review copy!
Set on an exclusive island of elite wealth in Long Island Sound, THE SUMMER WIVES bounces between 1930, 1951 and 1969. Williams masterfully weaves these storylines and events together while always maintaining a taut tone of romance and suspense revolving around two very different families on the island - one year-round Portuguese family and one of the wealthy New England summer clans.
There is really something for most
Sherri Thacker
The Summer Wives was another book by the wonderful Beatriz Williams. She can tell a story unlike anyone else and I felt like I was right back there in time! I did find myself getting confused because of so many different characters and all the different time periods and because of that I didn’t finish this book. It was just dragging too much for me. I’m very disappointed in this one. I know I’m in the minority for not loving this one.
Thekelburrows
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Someone was wrongly accused of murder! And then someone else was impregnated out of wedlock! And then someone else set fire to a building! Also something about a lighthouse! AND EVERYONE INVOLVED WAS INCREDIBLY ATTRACTIVE!
Lauren
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This could be my favorite book of 2018 no matter what I read moving forward. This is the book you recommend to a friend when they say to you, " I need a good page turner". It is full of mystery, romance and drama. It captures you from page one and never lets you down. Of course until you finish the book and you want to read more. Don't try to explain to people what it is about just simply tell them to trust you. I do advise readers to pay attention to every character no matter how insignificant ...more
Catherine Faulkenburg
I have mixed feelings about this book.

First, the writing is very pretty. It's sensual, and paints evocative pictures. I forgot I was reading about a fictional place in America, it seems very European all the way through. So it's got that going for it.

The conflict is also well thought out. Miranda makes an excellent main character, and the conflict of the well to do summer residents vs. the working class plays out well.

The negatives: the plot kind of drags. I am honestly kind of tired of reading
MaryBeth's Bookshelf
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beatriz Williams is back with another perfect summer read.

Miranda Schuyler arrives on Winthrop Island in 1951 with her mother, who is about to marry Hugh Fisher. She is drawn in to a world of high class parties and money, something she knows nothing about. She ends up falling for Joseph Vargas, a fishermen on the island. This is not acceptable as there is a clear distinction between those who live on the island and those who simply spend their summers there.

Almost 20 years later, Miranda returns
Janelle
Thank you so much to TLC Book Tours and William Morrow Books for this gorgeous free copy of THE SUMMER WIVES by Beatriz Williams - all opinions are my own.

This is my second Beatriz Williams novel and it was everything I hoped it would be: a story with mystery, murder, drama, and romance, told in alternating time periods, spanning decades with two narratives that only Williams can execute so flawlessly. Miranda Schuyler arrives at Winthrop Island located in Long Island Sound in the summer of 1951
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
Some reasons for 3 stars:

- Many parts were predictable.
-I would have like a chart of all the families names. It would not ruin a surprise
-The ending I did not like.
-However, I did like the time period.

Bookworm
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another elegant and mesmerizing read by Beatriz Williams. I've come to enjoy Ms. Wliams' books. They are kind of like visiting an old friend. The Summer Wives is a story that weaves multiple timelines into a twisty and satisfying ending. Although the twists were not jaw dropping (I was able to guess what was probably going on midway through), it is nonetheless an absorbing story that is hard to put down. We meet the Fisher family who spend their summers living on Fisher's Island in the long isla ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
What I love about Beatriz Williams books are how they are all connected to the Schuyler family, one way or another. This didn't I know when I started to read the books. So, it was with delight that I discovered that the books even when they are not part of a series are in some way connected. I have yet to read Overseas, Fall of Poppies and The Forgotten Room (there is a Schuyler in this one woohoo), but I will get to them soon I hope! Also, I'm dying to read the upcoming book: The Wicked Redhead ...more
Book of the Month
Why I Love It
by Liberty Hardy

There’s no time like the present to sink into an enchanting historical novel. I present to you The Summer Wives, a fantastic page-turner set on a New England island where the very privileged live and play. There’s mystery! There’s romance! There are waves crashing and hearts pounding! It’s perfect.

It’s 1951 on Winthrop Island and Miranda Schulyer has returned from boarding school to spend the summer at her new stepfather’s home. Here she will meet Joseph, a friend of
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Miranda's return isn’t a welcome event even after all of this time, though, because of her testimony at the trial of the lig
Holly
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The fateful summer still lay before me, a reel of film waiting to unspool, and how could I know that I was right now witnessing its first momentous scene? I mean, you never do suspect what inconsequential event will change the course of your life.

Miranda Schuyler visits Winthrop Island for her mother’s wedding to Hugh Fisher. She finds herself in a new world of the privileged upper class with her own “tour guide,” her half-sister Isobel Fisher. Miranda soon learns that Winthrop Island consists o
Camille Maio
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another stunner by Beatriz Williams. It will probably go down as among my favorites of hers.
Tracy
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a die-hard fan of Beatriz Williams! I've read all of her books and love them all.

I love the back and forth between different times and characters as a writing style.

This story was no different in that I loved the writing, the story, the setting, the time period, the characters, the sassiness of Isobel, etc. I did get a little confused at times on who was who and had to go back and re-read some parts. In the end it did all become clear and I absolutely loved the intensity of the scene with
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
This had the feel of a daytime soap opera. I’m not a fan of those, so maybe that’s why this didn’t work for me. Additionally, I didn’t feel convinced of the love affairs of the various characters, who all seemed like stereotypes. I thought the writing was ok, but the narration on the audiobook was so-so.
Sally Koslow
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With a sophisticated scalpel, Beatriz Williams dissects long-held passion, prejudice, and mistrust lurking in an insular (did I mention the book takes place on an island?) community with secrets that go back for generations. Pour yourself a gin and tonic, and don’t rush this ravishing novel by New England storytelling’s reigning queen. Set in the 50s and 60s, THE SUMMER WIVES offers profound relevance for today’s times, As we ask ourselves, who belongs here and who doesn’t?
Katy
I received my copy free through Goodreads Giveaways.

An enjoyable read with a few twists in the plot.
Ed
First half of book is boring. The second half has a lot of profanity and is not suitable for Christian readers or teens and children. I do not recommend this book to anybody.
Donna Hines
Miranda Schuyler arrives at Winthrop Island seeking peace after losing her dad WWII.
She receives anything but peace as she deals with Elitists who make up the Winthrop Society of the rich and famous.
Meanwhile the other group is the Portugese Fishermen who work hard to earn a buck on the water all day.
Miranda falls for Joseph Vargas who is facing prison time and has recently escaped on the run.
We start in the Summer of '51 and find ourselves on a lovely journey till the Summer of '69 with a deep
Riva Sciuto
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
"There's something about the smells of your childhood, isn't there? Even when that childhood was short and flavored by bitterness and ended in catastrophe, in a disaster of devastating proportions, you still remember those small, sublime joys with an ache of longing. Because there's no going back, is there?"

***

This was my first foray into the historical fiction of Beatriz Williams -- and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. 'The Summer Wives' is, unsurprisingly, a perfect summer read: bu
Retro Chapter Chi...: August 2018: The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams 15 28 Sep 07, 2018 05:01AM
Play Book Tag: The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams--4 stars 6 26 Aug 22, 2018 08:00AM
Book of The Month: The Summer Wives 8 33 Jul 27, 2018 09:17AM
Play Book Tag: Summer Wives 4 35 Feb 02, 2018 12:24PM
“There's something about the smells of your childhood, isn't there? ... You still remember those small sublime joys with an ache of longing because there's no getting it back, is there? You cannot return to a state of innocence.” 5 likes
“knew I was in love with him. Just imagine. As innocent, as uncomplicated as that. I still remember that moment, that sweet, shy revelation, remember it fondly, because it only comes once in your life, and then it’s gone. You can’t have it back. And it’s only a second! Isn’t that capricious? One measly instant of clarity, tucked inside the reach of your livelong days.” 0 likes