Start by marking “The World Awakening” as Want to Read:
The World Awakening

The World Awakening

(Gateways to Alissia #3)

"The World Awakening is a great conclusion to what is a very readable and highly enjoyable series. Characters that are more than the sum of their parts, a world that has so much to offer, and a story that races along apace – the Gateways to Alissia books have it all." -- SFFworld

Quinn Bradley has learned to use the magic of another world. And that world is in danger.

Having
Published February 13th 2018 by Harper Voyager Impulse

To ask other readers questions about The World Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World Awakening

Start your review of The World Awakening
Angel Leya
Quinn is at it again in the 3rd and final book of the Gateways to Alissia series. (If you haven't already, it's a good idea to read The Rogue Retrieval (Gateways to Alissia #1) and The Island Deception (Gateways to Alissia #2) first.)

Alissia has never been in more danger from the gateway linking their world with Earth's, and it's time to start choosing a side. Logan is still following orders, Quinn's gone native, and it's all coming down to a fight to see which world will prevail.

This book stru
Anna Tan
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, review-copy
The problem with third books in a trilogy, especially when the second one came out about a year ago, is the fact that as much as you really liked the earlier books, suddenly you're thrown into a world that you have vague memories of.

The World Awakening starts in the middle of the action. Honestly, I feel the book loses part of its impact for this sole reason--I had to backtrack a little and skim through parts of The Island Deception to figure out what was happening so that I could move forward.
Eric
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reviews
TL;DR: The World Awakening is a satisfying conclusion to the Gateways to Alissia trilogy. I’m sad to see it go but had fun while in country. Highly recommended.

Endings are always a mixed blessing. We get answers, but we have to leave. Some series, I’ve put off reading the final books because I want to stay in the world a little longer. Some, I have to return to. What began in The Rogue Retrieval and escalated in The Island Deception comes to a boil in The World Awakening, and it was an ending to
Mervi
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The third and final book in the Gateways to Alissia fantasy series. I got an eARC from the publisher. Thanks!

A small amount of time has passed since the end of the previous book, the Island Deception. The stage magician Quinn Bradley is enjoying his new-found real magical talents and has left the magicians’ island, Enclave, with Jillaine whom Quinn is hoping to get to know a lot better. They’re looking for Jillaine’s father and Jillaine has saved Quinn a couple of times already. Still, she’s kee
Marlene
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

Now that we are at the third book of the trilogy, I still see the Gateways to Alissia as a blend of S.M. Stirling’s Conquistador with L.E. Modesitt’s Imager Portfolio. And as far as I’m concerned, those are marvelous places to start. I probably read Conquistador at least ten years ago, and it still sticks in my memory, while the Imager Portfolio is one of my favorite epic fantasy series and I’m happy to say that it is still ongoing and still fantastic.

Both
CoffeeQuills
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The World Awakening is the third book in a trilogy (Gateways to Alissia), and it was a wonderfully satisfying conclusion of a group of humans from our current world visiting the magical fantasy world of Alissia. There are several people to follow as they near the time of decisions: do they stay in Alissia, helping their friends and keeping the world safe from the predatory clutches of CASE? Or will they decide to go home no matter what the cost may be?

What sparked me about this series was that I
Evan
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This series of books was well worth the read. A slow start with a unique take on the " gateway to another world" standard fantasy in the first book.
A great second book with a little more character development and plot twists..and a happy climactic ending in the third.

Overall though, I get the feeling the author had other irons on the fire while finishing this.
The first book felt unfinished and really only reads well if you read it back to back into the 2nd...maybe he was under pressure to fini
Rosie Rizk
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This series was kind of a mix of military action and portal fantasy. I didn't much care for all the action, and the basic wasn't super unique, but the world still pulled at me. I had to know how it would end.

As for the characters, I didn't connect deeply with any single character, but on the other hand, after reading though to the end, I've come away with a better understanding of their personalities.

My favorite was Quinn, who had the whole mystical magician persona - the type who always has an
Thomas Weaver
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish there had been more to this book in particular AND the trilogy as a whole, because I didn't want it to end. (The title for the trilogy is Gateways to Alissa. Gateways, plural. Is that a hint that we'll get more stories in this setting eventually? I hope so.)

I've described this trilogy as being part techno-thriller and part portal fantasy, and for me, the most interesting aspects of the story were in how those elements interacted. NEVER was there any 'Magic works here, so tech doesn't' non
Elizabeth
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
What would you do if you could choose to live in a medieval world with magic or the mundane world? This book doesn't seriously ask that question. I mean there's no indoor plumbing, long distances are covered by horse or donkey, and you can't order books online!

Anyway, this is the third in the series in which a company in the mundane world has found an entrance to a world with magic and has promptly decided to squeeze as much profit from it as it can. The cast of characters is large and mostly f
Vinay Badri
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
The series right from the start has been old wine in new bottle - with inspirations from a bunch of prior set ups but the key to the series has been the charm of lead character and the easy narrative flow

Given the concluding entry, the stakes do escalate but the series does go in a diff way even as the locals fight back against the technological superior interlopers, with the help of a couple of aces in their back pocket and Bradley’s competence and luck

Interesting series with a kind of predic
Diana Urban
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’m so sad… because this series is over! The world building was excellent, and I loved getting to know the characters, especially Quinn, who was flawed and makes mistakes, yet is so fun to root for. I love how everyone had depth and dimensions, including the antagonist. This was such a satisfying ending, yet leaves enough to the imagination where I wish I could know even more about Alissia; but I think that’s what great SFF does — you want to jump into the pages and have a look around yourself.
Mark Lambert
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
World Awakening is Just Plain Fun

Dan Koboldt is a storyteller. He pulls you through his books with evocative writing, well formed characters, and a style that reminds you that reading can and should be fun. The downside is that I inhale his books, come up for air and sadly realize that now I have to wait for another.
Marian
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heck of an ending.

Oh, I don't want to be done with this world. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this series, and would love to know how things shake out in the aftermath. The characters and world building were great. I hope to see more from this author.
Sean Randall
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A perfectly-ended series, Dan's managed to tidy everything up without losing any pacing. A cracking series from start to finish, with enough new to make it feel original and fresh. Highly recommended.
Royce Sears
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The World Awakening is the third (and hopefully not final novel) in the Gateways to Alissia by Dan Koboldt. Koboldt draws the reader into the world of Alissia though his likable characters and provides you with a healthy mix of modern tech alongside the ingenuity of a medieval society that's hell-bent on protecting its way of life from outside invaders. (Oh! and there's magic too!) Highly Recommended!

Royce Sears
N. Lang
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very satisfying conclusion to a trilogy. And great surprises along the way
Martin Koch
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story with interesting switches. A pity that it is only a trilogy....
Mark
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
The World Awakening is the finale to Dan Koboldt’s Gateways to Alissia trilogy, which started with The Rogue Retrieval and continued with The Island Deception. The third book always has the biggest task in any trilogy – it needs to deliver a grand yet satisfying conclusion to the series, all the while tying up any loose ends floating about. Fortunately Koboldt manages to hit almost all the right notes as our time on Alissia comes to a close…

With the groundwork laid in the previous novels, and ev
Christie Danielli
Michelle Ogilvy
Jun 15, 2018
Pegasus21
Nov 25, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Default book view doesn't show cover 3 15 Jan 26, 2018 06:08AM

• Crooked River (Pendergast, #19)
  • Shorefall (Founders, #2)
  • Just For One Night (Alice Worth #1.5)
  • Blood Money (Alice Worth #0.5)
  • The Vengeance Code
  • Heart of Shadows (Alice Worth, #5)
  • Choosing Theo (Clecanian, #1)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
  • Weird Al: Seriously
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3)
  • Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1)
  • If It Bleeds
  • Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim, #4)
  • Devil in the Dollhouse (Sandman Slim, #3.5)
  • Halo: Renegades
  • Get Out of Your Own Way: A Skeptic's Guide to Growth and Fulfillment
Dan Koboldt is a genetics researcher who has co-authored more than 90 publications in Nature, Science, the New England Journal of Medicine, and other journals. Every fall, he disappears into the woods to pursue whitetail deer with bow and arrow. He lives with his wife and three children in Ohio, where the deer take their revenge by eating all of the plants in his backyard.

Gateways to Alissia (3 books)
  • The Rogue Retrieval (Gateways to Alissia, #1)
  • The Island Deception (Gateways to Alissia, #2)