Start by marking “Granted” as Want to Read:
Granted

Granted

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,399 ratings  ·  336 reviews
From the author of beloved novels Ms. Bixby’s Last Day and Posted comes a hilarious, heartfelt, and unforgettable novel about a fairy-in-training.

Everyone who wishes upon a star, or a candle, or a penny thrown into a fountain knows that you’re not allowed to tell anyone what you’ve wished for. But even so, there is someone out there who hears it.

In a magical land called t
Published February 13th 2018 by Walden Pond Press

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Granted
Miranda Reads
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
description

A wish is many things. It is apprehension and anticipation. It is lucky coins and dandelion fluff and rainbows stretching to forever.
Ophelia Delphinium Fidgets is a fairy of the highest caliber - she has the honor, privilege and responsibility of being a Granter.

Granters are the select few who get to leave Haven (their magical safe house (ok, actually a safe tree)) and fly out into the world to grant a human wish.

Wish-granting is responsible for all fairy magic...only things have been going w
Glen
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

In a world where magic power is ever decreasing, a young fairie has the job of granting wishes. She's lucky to even grant a fraction of the wishes wished. She sets out into the human world to find out why.

Good for kids.
C.
Such a fun, sweet, delightful read! I enjoyed this one so much. I really loved the fairy ~Ophelia Delphinium Fidgets. I thought the plot of being a grantor of wishes was so interesting, though I didn't understand WHY they are so seldom granted?

There is a lot of intense suspense towards the end because of all the events/obstacles that get in the way of her retrieving the coin that her assigned wish was wished upon.

This was my first Fairy book and I hope the next ones that I read will be as encha
Lorie Barber
I needed to bury myself in fantasy today, because the state of our nation is... I don't know what it is. But it's not good for a great many people. This book - this magical, wishful, hopeful book - helped a little.

Granted's Ophelia Delphinium Fidgets is marvelous. She is so uniquely HER. Anderson did an incredible job with all the voices. I could HEAR them all - Phee, Charlie, Squint, and Sam - as though they were telling me the story of a wish-granting fairy and what is really essential.

There
JoScho
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I checked this one out from the library based solely on the cover. It is an adorable middle grade book about a fairy that is tasked with granting a wish. She is a “granter” but this is her first assignment. Things get messy and complicated and along the way she meets a stray named Sam that helps her out. Sam is awesome. It is a super cute little feel good book about wishes coming true.
Ms. Yingling
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Ophelia Delphinium Fidgets is a young fairy in a very well-developed and complex fairy world. She is supposed to work as a Granter, but for a variety of reasons, not as many wishes are being granted lately. There are lots of protocols and procedures involving the assigning and granting of wishes, combined with a decrease in the general level of magic, attributing to this. When Ophelia finally gets an assignment, to provide a girl named Kasarah in Kettering, Ohio with a p
Patrick
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Magical. Inspiring. Whimsical. Heart-warming. I was inthralled with this newest novel by John David Anderson. So different from Posted or Ms. Bixby. Wishes. The why of wishes. The how of wishes. Following our hearts to achieve those wishes. A definite read aloud during 2017/2018!!!
Chris
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who knew a quest into the realm of humans could be so perilous? Or so enthralling and delightful? Someone has wished upon a coin, and now the fairy Ophelia must retrieve that coin to grant the wish. She's sure she's up to the task, but she has severely underestimated all of the obstacles she will encounter. Anderson serves up a nice blend of earnestness, adventure, humor, and subtle worldbuilding. I was a bit hesitant at first, but it didn't take long before I was entirely enchanted.
Melissa Mcavoy
3 1/2 stars. The book dragged for the first half, which surprised me; I don't think of Anderson as an indulgent or sappy writer. Lots of twee fairy names mixed with Luddite ruminations on the loss of imagination and wonder and thus a loss of magic, associated with industrialization, mixed with some salty language (sucked, screwed up) and yet nothing much happens. Ophelia Delphinium Fidgets is one of the small cadre of fairies lucky enough to be tasked with granting wishes, and yet because of the ...more
Cristina Quattrone
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“A wish is many things. It is hope and desire and daydreams. It is impossibility and improbability and something in between. It is stardust and well water and spectrums of light in the sky. It is half-melted birthday candles and Christmas lists. It is broken turkey bones. It is the willing suspension of disbelief. And sometimes it is desperation. It is a hole in your heart that wants filling. It is more-than-anything-in-the-world.”

I WISH....I could share this book with all the children in my lif
Robyn
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Prior to getting active in Goodreads, I never really considered reading YA, middle school, or children's books, beyond reading to my son years ago, or reading to my grands, currently. So, thank you to GR friends who love this genre and include it in their TBR list (Morris, Karen, Ron).

ON to GRANTED....
First, WHAT A COVER! SO PRETTY.... I love the cover... it is becoming clear that you might really be able to judge a book by its cover! This was a pretty cover and a pretty story. What an adventu
Leonard Kim
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Doesn’t reach the heights of Ms. Bixby but I liked it better than Posted. My only real criticism is that there are some unnecessary episodes that, on first reading, may cause the reader to wonder whether there is anything really at stake in this story, or whether this is just a premise and adventure, like a disposable made-for-Hollywood fairytale. But you can trust Anderson. In fact I think he has become one of those authors where I will read anything he writes. Despite the cute naming system an ...more
Karly
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute and magical story for tweens. The heroine is loveable and relatable for kids.

My one knock against it is I wish Ophelia didn’t ‘swear’ so much. She doesn’t use ‘adult words’ to swear, but for example she would say “oh fig nuts!” when she was frustrated. It’s ok to have an outburst everyone once and a while. But I found the amount in this book almost encouraging saying nonsense words when you’re upset, instead of taking things out.

Other than that, it was an action-packed, fantasy/real world
Snazzy Reads
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stacey Mulholland
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I just couldn't get into this book. I'm sure others love it for the writing is beautiful but it just wasn't for me.
Leslie Sachlis
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The hook for me was the cover. Who was riding/being transported willingly by that handsome pup? The answer is Ophelia Dellphinium Figits, a fairy with a mission/assignment/duty to grant a particular wish. She has been chosen for this type of work and has been studying for it for over a year. She is about to find out that book learning can be very different from doing. Surprises and unexpected challenges abound. Ophelia must succeed. A fairy has never failed a wish granting assignment. If she wer ...more
Kellee Moye
Full review with teaching tools: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=1...

John David Anderson never ceases to amaze me. I have read all but one of his books, and I am learning that I cannot even guess what he’s going to tackle next; although, I can assume he is going to do it well!

But I will be honest, I would not have guessed that his newest would be about a super sweet, determined, and a bit quirky fairy named Ophelia Fidgets. But yes, Ophelia is our phenomenal fairy protagonist who every reade
Kathie
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you to Edelweiss+ for an eARC of this book. All opinions are my own.

Ophelia is a fairy whose job it is to grant wishes...well, that's supposed to be her job, but she hasn't had a chance to actually perform it yet because the supply of magic is low. When she is finally given an opportunity to go on her first mission, she needs to find a coin on which a girl has wished for a new purple bike, and make her wish come true. But the mission is anything but straightforward, and Ophelia quickly dis
Theresa Grissom
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to John David Anderson for an ARC of this wonderful book! I loved this fantasy! I think it will be a hit among the upper elementary kids at my school. Anderson has a special talent of combining humor, sweetness and meaning in every book he writes. I can truly see this book turned into an animated movie.

Update: I have since read this book a second time and currently am reading it AGAIN out loud to my 4th grade son. He so far loves it and keeps saying "one more chapter"! The more I read
Brenda
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opening Line: "The last time you blew out your birthday candles, what did you wish for?"

Ophelia Delphinium Fidgets is the youngest fairy to graduate from the academy, a certified wish granter who is about to embark on her first assignment to Kettering, Ohio to grant 13-year-old Kasarah's wish for a purple bike to replace the one that was stolen. Ophelia is one of many fairies living hidden from the outside world in the Haven, a place infused with magic from wishes granted by the Great Tree at it
Carolina  (fictionologyst)
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got this book from Owlcrate Jr March "I WISH" box. To be honest I've never seen or heard about this book or the author anywhere before so I had no expectation on this book. I dove into it blindly, not knowing anything beside it's about a fairy,  well at least the cover said so.

Plot

The story follows Ophelia Delphinium Fidget, an ambitious and perfectionist little fairy, actually she's not just an ordinary fairy, she's a granter, the most noble profession among fairies. A granter's job is to ma
J.L. Slipak
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Description:

From John David Anderson, author of the widely acclaimed and beloved novels Ms. Bixby’s Last Day and Posted, comes Granted, a hilarious, heartfelt, and unforgettable novel about a fairy-in-training and her first wish-granting assignment.

Everyone who wishes upon a star, or a candle, or a penny thrown into a fountain knows that you’re not allowed to tell anyone what you’ve wished for. But even so, rest assured: There is someone out there who hears it.

Ophelia Delphinium Fidgets is no or
Jan
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Wishes are made in moments of wonder and desperation. Wishes are prayers without a salutation and minus an amen."

Do you make a wish when you throw coins in a fountain? Blow the fluff off a dandelion? See a shooting star or an airplane flying overhead? Blow out your birthday candles? How about making a wish and then holding your breath before driving through a tunnel? I just did that one yesterday on my way to the coast! Yeah, I do all of those things and more. Do I believe any of them will make
Jordan Henrichs
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I personally thought this was wildly different than anything else Anderson has done recently but his sharp dialogue and meticulous plotting is still evident. Ophelia is fully realized and Sam is the perfect sidekick. I think Dreamworks or Pixar should snatch the rights to this title up fast, as it would make a fantastic animated feature.

If it would not have taken so long for the story to get moving, this would have been a 5-star rating all the way, for me. I can't pinpoint any specific details
Brenda A
Granted is cute. It follows a young fairy off on her first assignment to grant a wish and the ensuing pandemonium as a result of it.

She’s a little bit of a butthead to be honest, especially toward Sam in the beginning. Dogs are amazing! They love everyone and are pretty much permanently happy unless you hurt them in some way. She eventually learns this, but it took too long for my liking.

As was the point, I legitimately cared whether the family got their wishes. Who cares about a bike when a pa
Darla
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Walden Pond Press and Edelweiss for an ARC of this soon to be published middle grade novel.

Ophelia Delphinium Fidgets is about to go on an odyssey, but she sees it as a few tocks to the destination, one tock to grant a wish and then a quick trip home. You will fall in love with Ophelia and feel her immense frustration as each attempt she makes to finally grant that wish is thwarted again and again. Her journey takes place in the midst of lyrical narratives about the magic of wishes.
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-will
This was really an enjoyable book. Ophelia is a fairy who has the job to grant wishes. She finally gets called up for her first real job and it’s not as easy as she thinks.

There are lots of good lessons in this book for kids. Ophelia has to learn how to think and make adjustments when things don’t go her way. She learns first hand not to judge other creatures by what she has been taught about them and becomes friends with them. She learns to follow her heart to do the right thing, even when it
Jean-Marie
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 11-year-old and I have been reading quite a lot of excellent but very serious realistic fiction during bedtime. We needed some lighter fare. Granted by John David Anderson did just the trick. Like Posted and Ms. Bixby's Last Day, Granted is warm and funny. Better yet, it has a dog! You can't go wrong with a story featuring a loyal, charming, life-saving canine companion. This bedtime story gave us the feel good break we needed. Middle grade readers will really enjoy this magical "fairy" tale ...more
Donna
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun story about all the work that goes into granting a wish.
Main character is persistent and doesn't let things like getting hit by a truck, nearly drowning in a pond, or getting attacked by a cat slow her down. She befriends a dog who helps her out and then in turn she helps him.
Who decides what wishes come true? Should they continue down the path they are currently taking or change things up?
This would make a great read aloud for persistence and make great discussion on how decisions are made.
Niki
As Granted is one of my 10 yo daughter's favourite books, I wanted to read it (and I wanted to love it too). Ophelia is a wish-granting fairy who is tasked with her first mission, but it goes horribly astray and she needs to make tough decisions about what she believes is right.

Personally, I found the writing to be too drawn out. The cute storyline could be a shorter, more accessible book, making it more appealing to a wider audience. However, as already noted, it is one of my daughter's favour

• The Season of Styx Malone
  • The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle
  • Saving Winslow
  • The Parker Inheritance
  • Bob
  • You Go First
  • Inkling
  • Finding Langston
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster
  • Clayton Byrd Goes Underground
  • The Science of Breakable Things
  • Walking with Miss Millie
  • Amal Unbound

John David Anderson once hit himself so hard on a dare by his sister that he literally knocked himself out of a chair and nearly blacked out. He has since translated this passion and singularity of purpose to the related arts of novel writing and pizza eating. The author of STANDARD HERO BEHAVIOR, SIDEKICKED, MI