Start by marking “Contagion (Contagion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Contagion (Contagion, #1)

Contagion

(Contagion #1)

It got in us

After receiving an urgent SOS from a work detail on a distant planet, a skeleton crew is dispatched to perform a standard search-and-rescue mission.

Most are dead.

But when the crew arrives, they find an abandoned site, littered with rotten food, discarded weapons...and dead bodies.

Don't set foot here again.

As they try to piece together who—or what—could have dec
Published July 24th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Contagion, please sign up.
Megan Two of the main characters, Nova and Dylan had a one night stand that is mentioned only briefly and gives no descriptive details. It's obvious through…moreTwo of the main characters, Nova and Dylan had a one night stand that is mentioned only briefly and gives no descriptive details. It's obvious throughout the novel that Nova has more than professional feelings for Dylan, but nothing of a romantic nature occurs.
It was a really good novel, in my opinion. I cannot wait for the sequel, although it's apparently not due out until next year.
But if you can stand the tortuous wait for the second novel, you definitely should read it.(less)
OroumonSol Well, the short answer is (as I have conceived it from both of my parents who are doctors) if someone's heart is not active for, say, 10 seconds, mout…moreWell, the short answer is (as I have conceived it from both of my parents who are doctors) if someone's heart is not active for, say, 10 seconds, mouth-to-mouth ?can? properly revitalize someone, and getting electrocuted is not different. Again, I think...(less)

Start your review of Contagion (Contagion, #1)
Elle (TheBookishActress)
I am quite sure this will work perfectly for a certain kind of reader. Contagion is a very, very fast-paced sci-fi horror novel about a plague and several deaths. As such, this might be good for fans of fast-paced scifi like Heart of Iron, or maybe more suspenseful scifi like The Loneliest Girl in the Universe. But it didn’t give me the same punch I wanted, and that cliffhanger ending on what is essentially a thriller just does not work for me.

I’m tired and behind on reviews, so here’s a quick
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 Contagion ★★★★★
#2 Immunity ★★★★☆

I am a huge fan of sci-fi/horror mash-up stories, whether they’re in books, film, whatever, and after how much I enjoyed Erin Bowman’s Vengeance Road duology last year, I knew I had to check this out! It was one of my most anticipated releases of 2018, but I was also a little bit nervous because I wasn’t 100% sure whether Erin’s writing would translate as well to this setting.

It got in us and most are dead. Decklan flew for help. Don’t trust the kid.
megs_bookrack
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5-stars**

OHHHH BABY!!!

That was a wild ride. Zombies in space!

Y'all know, everything is better in space.

When an SOS gets sent from a mining crew on a distant planet, a quickly assembled team heads off to investigate.

The number one selling point of this ragtag team, they were the closest individuals to said planet.

They aren't prepared with manpower, experience, equipment, you name it, but off they go anyway.

Once arriving at their destination, they discover an abandoned site and a bunch of
joanna ☽ the little brown fairy
Firstly: I can’t wait for 2019. The sequel for this is going to be amazing. I can already feel it.

This was honestly such a fantastic, gripping story; it kept me up reading all night, even though I knew what the consequences would be in the morning. (They were not pretty consequences.) It’s one of those rare books that steals your breath and holds you so tightly that you’re afraid to tear your eyes away from the pages even for a second.

You can read my full review here on starburnt reads!
“IT GO
Erin Bowman
Dec 06, 2016 marked it as books-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Contagion will be my next book after Retribution Rails and it couldn't be more different. This tends to be a trend of mine; I write in one genre and then follow it up with something polar opposite. I'm currently in the middle of a major revision, but let me get a few frequently asked questions out of the way:

The current description is really vague. Who are these two teens?
Thea Sadik, an ambitious seventeen-year-old with a love for science, and Nova Singh, a high-school dropout with piloting expe
I’m not sure why I didn’t realize this when I started the novel, but this is the first of a duology. After I finished this and realize there would be a sequel, I was bummed. There is just something about a solid standalone YA sci-fi/horror novel that sounded like exactly what I needed, but clearly I was wrong about the standalone part. Anyway, now you know there’s a sequel, so no disappointment for you.

Set in the future, where humans have colonized on planets out in space and the discovery of a
Jodi Meadows
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
CONTAGION perfectly toes the line between science fiction thriller and horror. I couldn't stop reading.
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
"Follow the bloody footprints, they said. What could go wrong, they said." Quite a lot apparently. 😂

4.25/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐.25

description

Favorite Quotes:

"Numbers and data made sense, but people were impossible."

"Impossible is just an excuse not to try," Nova said. "You break it down into little steps, and then it becomes a bunch of things you can tackle. Possible things."

Pros:

❇️Normally when I see "recommended for fans of-" blurbed, or mentioned while describing a new release I find that to be a huge turnoff, b
Stacee
I was insane with excitement when I read this synopsis as it has everything I love: mass infection and possible zombies. Sadly I was disappointed.

My main complaint about this book is the multiple POVs. There are several — more than what is necessary, in my opinion — and because of that, I didn’t get to know any of the characters. Everyone felt shallow. The minor details we did get wasn’t enough to make me root for anyone.

Plot wise it was okay. The first 40% or so of the story is dry and boring
Kat
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2, favorites
This is SUPER well-written, a sci-fi zombie story set in space where a rescue crew is sent to investigate a drill site that has sent a distress call. This site is located two MONTHS away by hyper-space, and they’re the closest crew, so you get a real sense of the isolation. It’s set on a barren, violent-weather-tortured rock and as soon as the crew gets there they can tell something is Not. Right.

The pacing is amazing, both the sense of suspense and “what the heck is going on here?” as the crew
Adah Udechukwu
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved every moment of Contagion. I'm sure book 2 will be as great as book 1
Yodamom
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funtastic space horror, fun times, so many die, the bodies piled high. Intense action, mystery, and more dead bodies. Don't love any of them, they may be dead on the next page. You have been warned.
Seriously, this was a good read for me. I loved reading it, I even read it slow in bits because I needed to step back and reflect (relax) on what I just read. I ordered book 2 before I even finished this one.
Mary
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THE GOOD:

* excuse me, i have to pick my jaw off the floor
* every once in a while, I get fixated on a book that i just know is going to be amazing and I AM NEVER WRONG, because Contagion was one of these books and, to be quite frank, hoLY FUCK™
* listen here, if anyone ever asks you for a horror recommendation, you shove this book in their face and/or beat them with with
* THIS is how you write a space horror
* i finished this book in about 4 hours, because I could not and would not put it down
* it’
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
3.5 stars...

I loved Bowan's other series so I was expecting to really like this one too. I tried several times though to listen to the audiobook and couldn't get into the narrator so I ended up just reading it. It was fairly entertaining once I finally got into it which actually happened when Coen came into the picture. He was definitely my favorite character of the bunch.

Even though this book didn't produce any overwhelming emotions or anything from me, I'm dying to read the next book just to
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/08/04/...

Contagion by Erin Bowman stars the ragtag crew of the Odyssey, a mining ship that responds to an SOS at a seemingly deserted base on a remote planet. Led by their determined by green captain Dylan Lowe, the team immediately begins searching for survivors but instead find a pile of dead bodies. The ship’s doctor, microbiologist Dr. Lisbeth Tarlow appears baffled at the cause of all the death and carnage, but her seventeen-y
Hollis
I was so so excited to dive into CONTAGION because I enjoyed Bowman's Vengeance Road series, so I was familiar with her writing, and I am so here for more good YA sci-fi. Throw in some horror and creep factor of a virus that has taken over a space station and the rescue crew hired to investigate? I'm trash for it.

But it didn't quite live up to my expectations. Why? Because half the characters are either dumb or unlikeable. I was more or less fine with the plot, it was at turns thrilling and eeri
Montzalee Wittmann
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Contagion by Erin Bowman is an audible book I picked up from the library. I fell in love with this intriguing take right away. I like a good mystery mixed with my science fiction, throw in a deadly unknown killing factor, people who may not be what or who they say they are, crooked business or governments, and lots of suspense and that is my mind of book! This is all that and more!
The narration complements the book perfectly too! Really made the book that much better! Tremendous job one voices,
7jane
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Black Quarry base, on a remote planet Achlys, has sent a distress message, and a skeleton crew barely out of surviving a storm on a frozen planet is sent immediately towards it. But on arrival there seems at first to be no survivors... as they try to figure out what happened while waiting for a backup, a threat rises from below, putting everyone in danger.

This reminds me a bit of the second Alien movie, though only in certain details (young people being sole survivors of a disastrous event,
Erin
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the very moment I laid eyes on the premise of this story, I knew it was going to be a good read! A mixture of horror and spacey sci-fi was just what I was looking for, and in return, I got a whole lot more than I initially anticipated.

Contagion starts with a bang and keeps going with a quick and unrelenting pace right up until the finale! It is non-stop action from the get go, and even the slower moments are just a way to pause before building up the thrill and suspense again.

Very easy to
Alaina
I NEED TO READ BOOK TWO ASAP!

Contagion was so freaking good! I've been wanting to read this for a while so when I got the chance to get the audio - I didn't hesitate one freaking bit! It was so good guys! I can't believe I waited so long to dive into it.

I will admit thought that beginning was a little rough patch for me. With all the info dumping and ya know.. being bored out of mind - I almost pressed paused and dove into another book. YET, I didn't because I was lazy and had no idea what I wan
Amanda
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, sci-fi, horror
As I was reading Contagion I kept thinking that this would make a much more interesting movie than it does a book. It feels very much like a horror movie you would see on the big screen. It has space ships, a distant inhospitable planet, zombies, and dumb characters with no damn sense. Reading this story rather than watching it made it harder to follow. I’m not really making sense here. The point I’m trying to make is that this is an incredibly visual story so telling it without visuals doesn’t ...more
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
When a distress call comes out from a lone planet in the far reaches of space, only one drilling team can respond in time—but soon the occupants realize that their captain has an ulterior motive for responding so fast. And one of their crew holds a deadly secret about the planet Alchys.

This was creepy as hell and a thrill a minute and I really enjoyed it!

I think the biggest enjoyment was that there was no romance bogging down the plot (there's a hint of potential, but thankfully the heavy use of
booksnpenguins
Impossible is just an excuse not to try.

Sci-fi is not my favorite genre, but I can recognize and appreciate a good sci-fi book when I read one.
Contagion is definitely one.
I've only read another book by Erin Bowman, but I didn't like it that much, so I'm glad it went better this time around.
Contagion is well written and developed and, although I didn't feel anything special towards the characters and there were a few too many dull moments, the story was interesting and creepy enough to kee
Ashley (pawingthroughpages)
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I will say the beginning was a little confusing and it was too many characters to keep tabs of. Progressively this did get easier to track what was going on and kept me engaged. I will continue with the concluding book next year!
Justine
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read

I found this pretty enjoyable overall. It's fast paced with a lot of action. I agree with the critique that the story feels somewhat derivative, but that didn't keep me from being reasonably engaged.

What I didn't like was how over-the-top the Captain was, and this is what brought the rating down for me. The whole situation was dangerous and tense, so there wasn't much need to have the character in charge also be irresponsible and foolish with the lives of her subordinates to make things
Gigi
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-best-reads
4.5 stars (rounded up)

This was like Guardians Of The Galaxy meets The Walking Dead. Except everyone on the ship is human.

I'm a newbie to reading Sci-Fi and after the last 2 tragic DNF's (The Luminous Dead & Aurora Rising), I was starting to lose faith in the genre. But this..It kept me up all hours of the night reading!

I really enjoyed the alternating timelines and POV's. The last 30% of the book was an intense ride. I had the same adrenaline rush as when I watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

The C
Hillary
Mar 09, 2019 marked it as dnf-zone
Shelves: sci-fi
DNF 11% | 09/03/19

This is my third dnf of the month and I don’t know if I should worry about a reading slump coming or if it’s just bad luck in picking books to read.

This was just not for me. The first bit (prologue?) grabbed my attention, but 2 pages into the real first chapter I realized already that I didn’t like the writing style. But I kept going. Some pages after that I noticed the confusing and sudden switching of points of view, of which I learned there are a freaking lot. Though, the ki
Lindsay
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
An exceptionally derivative science fiction horror story.

On the distant planet of Achlys the Black Quarry mining crew has sent an SOS which is received by its parent company. Odyssey, a small ship and crew, is sent to investigate with larger backup not far behind. When the ship gets to Achlys, it becomes apparent that there's been a disaster at the Black Quarry site, on the huge research ship Celestial Envoy and the rest of the planet. The team do find a survivor, but only shortly after finding
Veronique
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75*

This YA-scifi-horror novel turned out to be a fun and very easy read. From the beginning, you cannot help yourself making parallels with Aliens (second film): a disparate crew is re-directed to investigate an SOS message from a mining crew on a fringe planet. Naturally, when they get there, they find the quarry site abandoned, that is until they stumble on the first dead body...

The characters also echoed stereotypes we’ve seen in many films. And yet, I couldn’t help being entertained watchi
 LEAH⇢
THE DETAILS5 STARS ● CONTAGION #1 OF 2 ● DEEP IN SPACE ● ZOMBIE-ISH VIRUS ● YA ● HINT OF ROMANCE ● LENGTH OF AUDIO - 9 HOURS, 37 MINUTES ● I LISTENED ON LIBBYTHROUGH MY LIBRARY

MY THOUGHTS●●●

I wasn't sure what to expect with this…the only other books by Erin Bowman that I've read have been YA Westerns. This is way different than those books. I'll admit, early on, I thought she was jumping on the bandwagon, so to speak, with this deep space horror/thriller based on a crazy virus. It felt an awf

• Sanctuary (Sanctuary, #1)
  • Containment (Sanctuary, #2)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Wilder Girls
  • The Bone Houses
  • Not Even Bones (Market of Monsters, #1)
  • This Splintered Silence
  • Nyxia Uprising (The Nyxia Triad, #3)
  • DEV1AT3 (Lifelike, #2)
  • Sawkill Girls
  • LIFEL1K3 (Lifelike, #1)
  • Nyxia Unleashed (The Nyxia Triad, #2)
  • The Disasters
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • The Loneliest Girl in the Universe
  • Warrior of the Wild
Erin Bowman is the critically acclaimed author of numerous books for children and teens, including the Taken Trilogy, Vengeance Road, Retribution Rails, the Edgar Award-nominated Contagion duology, The Girl and the Witch’s Garden, and the forthcoming Dustborn. A web designer turned author, Erin has always been invested in telling stories—both visually and with words. Erin lives in New Hampshire wi ...more

Contagion (2 books)
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)