Start by marking “The Bride Takes a Groom (The Penhallow Dynasty, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Bride Takes a Groom (The Penhallow Dynasty, #3)

The Bride Takes a Groom

(The Penhallow Dynasty #3)

Lisa Berne’s Penhallow Dynasty continues with a pair of star-crossed childhood friends who meet again years later—and find love where they least expect it...

Katherine Brooke may be a fabulously wealthy heiress, but she’s trapped, a pawn in her parents’ ruthless game to marry her into the nobility. Then Captain Hugo Penhallow—so charming, as handsome as a Greek god—comes in
Published April 24th 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Bride Takes a Groom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride Takes a Groom

Laura the Highland Hussy
May 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: d-n-f
Review posted on Got Fiction?

I know, I know. 1 star. Guys, I never give 1 star to books. Buckle up. It's about to get bumpy.

In this book, Katherine is in a terrible position. Her parents have an obscene amount of money, but money can't buy class, isn't that the saying? Her parents have given her the best education money can buy, but she was caught making out with a teacher, he of course blamed her, and her poor young teenage heart learned that lust is bad (more on this later).

Her parents left he
Barbara Rogers
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: iblog, edelweiss
Series: The Penhallow Dynasty #3
Publication Date: 4/24/18

World’s coldest heiress meets world’s most likable hero – how in the world can this ever work? It can, and it is lovely to see. This is a well written and well-plotted book with a lovable hero and a heroine you will love to hate – at least for a fair amount of the book.

Hugo Penhallow is a much-loved member of the prestigious Penhallow family. He’s not a peer, but his family name is so revered that he might as well be a duke. Hugo’s immedia
Stacee
Apr 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
1.5 stars?

I loved the idea of a marriage contract slash childhood friends to more story. I was especially excited after seeing several high reviews already posted. Sadly this one was disappointing.

I didn’t like Katherine. She’s a spoiled brat and definitely acts like one. I understand that her home life is arguably horrible, but I would have thought it made her nicer towards people, not so hateful. Hugo has potential, but he’s so laid back and it came across as not caring about anything. Even w
Sissy's Romance Book Review
The Bride Takes a Groom by Lisa Berne is book three in The Penhallow Dynasty series. This is the story of Katherine Brooke and Captain Hugo Penhallow. I have read the previous book but feel you can make this a standalone book if you choose to do so.
Katherine and Hugo once where childhood friends and Katherine loved his family, but then he went off to school and into service. In addition, her father inherited money from the death of her grandfather which set off a chain of events that changed he
Jessica Grogan
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The first half of this book was excellent which is why I gave it three stars. It went off the rails for the second half, however, and made it a much more tedious read in the end.

The plot in the blurb was resolved around the 40% mark. Part of what kept me reading up to that point was my curiosity as to whether Katherine became a better person or not. I was looking forward to watching Katherine and Hugo get to know each other again and fall in love. Somehow I felt robbed of that.

Katherine is bey
Michele
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

See the full review at HarlequinJunkie.com

A spoiled heiress and a self-sacrificing hero were quite the fiery match in The Bride Takes a Groom, which was basically a friends to lovers *and* a marriage of convenience trope. After a very rocky beginning, this pair ended things on a wonderfully romantic note with a lovely HEA for all involved.

I’ll be honest: even though I loved Lisa Berne’s writing style and the overall storyline in this book, I struggled to get through the f
Bambi Unbridled
description

The Bride Takes a Groom is the third book in the Penhallow Dynasty series, and my first read by this author. Penhallow is an esteemed and revered name in London society, and the family bucks tradition by marrying for love and maintaining close relationships throughout the family lines. I really liked everyone in the family, even Aunt Henrietta, who is a reformed stuffy matron sort.

Captain Hugo Penhallow has been in America fighting a war for the past 10 years or so, and has returned home after b
Diane K. Peterson
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a hard book to review. Lisa Berne shows excellent writing skills, but somehow the story just didn't fully engage my emotions. The premise was good; a nice twist on the marriage of convenience trope. My biggest complaint was the minimal amount of Hugo's point of view. I really liked him at the beginning, but the book failed to show the development of his feelings toward the heroine. As a result, Hugo seemed vague and indecisive. I felt sympathy for Katherine, but she went a long time with ...more
Adria (Musings and Reviews)
Originally posted on Adria's Musings and Reviews (Blog post MAY have additional content such as playlists, interviews, giveaways, etc).

* A copy of this book was and provided by the publisher via NetGalley/Edelweiss for the purpose of an honest review. All conclusions are my own responsibility and I was not compensated for this review.

What’s it About? Katherine Brooke has it all, looks, wealth, and youth but she is still just a pawn in her parents’ ruthless plans to marry her off to the nobility.
Debbie
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it

I have to admit I really struggled with this book. I picked it up and put it down several times simply because the heroine really rubbed me the wrong way. Katherine has had a tough upbringing, there is no denying that. However, I have to say she is certainly lucky Hugo and his family are so kind hearted to give her a chance and believe there is something more beneath the surface. I'd have to say with a majority of other people she would have been dismissed as being a royal PITA because
Leah
Jun 20, 2018 added it
2.5 stars? i did like it....but it didnt?
Gayner
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a book that will make you and cry. Two people, one broken in body the other broken in spirit. It starts out with action and ends with love and action. Well worth the read. This is my first time to read anything by Lisa Berne, I'll be looking forward to reading more of her work.
Deana Smiel
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lisa Berne has a unique style that didn't grate like some stream of bizarre conscience books can. I liked the relationship. Hugo was a man's man but not arrogant or autocratic in any way which I enjoyed. His family is just darling all the way around. I enjoyed this one and while I want to read the next one I don't think I'll go back and read the first two.
Amandine
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai mis du temps à apprécier Katherine... mais au final, son personnage évolue tant que je suis admirative devant elle. ❤ Hugo m'a beaucoup plu, avec sa patience, son sourire, son attitude simple. ❤ Quoi que leur amour est venu trop soudainement à mon goût, j'ai aimé leur relation. Une fois la confiance installée, ils se soutiennent et s'aiment. ❤
Homelessghost
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The story ends with plenty of good fortune and luck. I was also wondering what happened to her family in the end although it didn't seem relevant. Overall, those parts are not that realistic but I'm a sucker for a happy ending and I will never complain about a too happy ending.

Bonus point for hero making sure about consent all the time. I like seeing that change in HR. No more of those "I know you want me and I will make you realize" heroes.
Lynsay
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have to admit that I almost didn’t finish this book. Katherine was very unlikable in the beginning, so much so that I thought there’d be no redemption for her. Thankfully that wasn’t the case. Though I don’t think having readers hate the heroine first thing is a great idea.
The book is enjoyable, however I could have done without the random French, as well as going to secondary characters’ pov.

Suzanne
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really solid book, with a heroine who learns to love herself and becomes part of a family. Marriage of convenience between childhood friends, an heiress and a Captain.

Full review here: www.loveinpanels.com/prose/the-bride-...
Veronica
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm surprised to see this book got so many low ratings! I actually really liked it. It's definitely my favorite of all of the Penhallow books. As with all of Lisa Berne's books, the writing is really great. I thought that the plot moved along at a nice pace in this one. Also, I liked that the characters had some realistic flaws. My favorite historical romances are those in which the characters behave in a somewhat realistic manner (after all, people usually don't say and do exactly the right thi ...more
Julie Eichelberger-Ford
The Bride Takes a Groom is the third in the series but can also be read as a stand alone. This is a story of marriage of convenience, a rich bride and a groom with a famous family name. Katherine's family's wealth comes from mining so they weren't accepted by the haut ton. Her parents were constantly trying to push her to find a titled husband so that they would be accepted. Hugo has been away serving in the Army in America until he is injured, as he arrives home he learns of his family's financ ...more
Jackie
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A difficult heroine proposes a marriage of convenience to her former childhood friend who has come back from soldiering in Canada in need of money to support his mother and younger siblings. Very unusual to have such an unlikeable heroine, who continues to be unlikeable for so long into a story, which made this intriguing for me. Katherine is so prickly and stand-offish, even in the face of the genial hero's equally genial and offbeat family. But finally by book's end, she starts to admit that s ...more
Tamera
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an enjoyable historical romance with a refreshing twist - our hero, Hugo is marrying the wealthy heiress Katherine for her money! The couple are very upfront about his, and Katherine is especially happy to get out of her intolerable life with her selfish vain parents. Hugo and Katherine grew up together until her parents became wealthy and moved to build a show off house. Having fond memories of Katherine, Hugo hopes this will be a good solid marriage in addition to providing him finances t ...more
Sandy Frediani
Aug 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm finished... as in I gave it two chapters and gave up. Normally, I won't leave a review on a book I don't finish, or in this case can't finish. The writing, at least in the first two chapters, is nothing but tell tell tell tell, a dash of insipid dialog, and back to tell tell tell. Then there are the info dumps which aren't needed and don't advance the story. There's proper words and complete sentences and they fall flat. The characters aren't even two dimensional. Nothing about this engaged ...more
Liz Clappin
Dec 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Honestly just skimmed the last 75 pages or so, because I couldn't force myself to finish it. The heroine was so irritating and idiotic that I couldn't force my way through another page. I get that the author leaned heavily on colorful secondary characters to spice up the story but they just made it feel cluttered and chaotic. The protagonists had very little chemistry, and as previously noted I had zero respect for the heroine. Shame because the cover is really beautiful.
Elisabeth
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-fiction
It took at least half the book to fall into step with the MC Katherine. She is distant and withdrawn and in her own world away from the rest of the characters for most of the book, even her love interest. This can make it hard to like the main character and connect.

It really hits it's stride at the halfway point and then you can really enjoy the book. So my advice: stick in there and read through.
Dolly
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fave new author for sure. This is such a deft romance, which is equal parts a character study and a romance.

I love, love, love the romance in this: childhood friends, grown apart in a marriage of convenience. And it features my fave type of romantic hero - the sweet, charming, non-rake. And on top of that the heroine is amazingly characterized and gets one of the most interesting arcs in any romance I've read.

Also some excellent love scenes, wooh!
Mari
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a typical romance that takes awhile to develop. They marry in name only to fulfill problems in their families. Katherine has the biggest change after marrying Hugo, she realizes she's always loved him. And god-like Hugo has to overcome physical problems to become all he can to find happiness in his marriage. He realizes he's loved Kate all along too. They make lemonade out of lemons.
Lissa
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hugo family in Whitehaven
mom
Gwendolyn/Gwenie 14 - imposive, wants to be pirate.
Percy (twin) 13- horse mad
Frances/Frank (twin) 13- likes studying classic, philosophical
Bertram - 12 scientist like father. Always reading natural history,science, mechanical books.
Great Aunt Verina twin
Great Aunt Claudia (artist) twin
Grandfather, Mr Mantel
Sarsparilla
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As delicious as chocolate

The Penhallow series is something different. Storybook prose woven into real emotions. I read dozens of romance novels and blazed through the three available in this series in two days.
MrsMascara
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Note to self: loved the way the heroine takes control to try and get what she wants, freedom from her family. Also loved the relationship between Hugh and his family.
Courtney
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Full review here: https://courtneyreadsromancesite.word...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dare to Love a Duke (The London Underground, #3)
  • All Dressed in White (The Brides of Belgravia, #2)
  • Texas Legacy (Texas Trilogy, #3.5)
  • The Banished Bride
  • A Touch of Frost (The Cowboys of Colorado, #1)
  • A Common Scandal (The Grantham Girls, #2)
  • The Bride Who Got Lucky (The Cavensham Heiresses #2)
  • For the Duke's Eyes Only (School for Dukes, #2)
  • I Spy a Duke (Covert Heiresses, #1)
  • Last Night with the Earl (The Devils of Dover, #2)
  • The Duke of Dark Desires (The Wild Quartet, #4)
  • My Fair Duchess (Dukes Behaving Badly, #5)
  • The Devilish Duke
  • The Scandal of It All (The Rogue Files, #2)
  • The Trouble with True Love (Dear Lady Truelove, #2)
  • How to Deceive a Duke
  • Wildest Dreams
  • Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)
I write historical romance for Avon/HarperCollins. To learn more about me, my books, and my quirky interests (as revealed in my blog), you are cordially invited to visit my website, www.LisaBerne.com, and to sign up for my newsletter, too, so that you’ll never miss a new release!

The Penhallow Dynasty (4 books)
  • You May Kiss the Bride (The Penhallow Dynasty, #1)
  • The Laird Takes a Bride (The Penhallow Dynasty, #2)
  • Engaged to the Earl (The Penhallow Dynasty, #4)