Start by marking “The Last Best Story” as Want to Read:
The Last Best Story

The Last Best Story

Rose Regnero was a star reporter for her high school paper, destined for a career in journalism, when she abruptly quit two months ago, leaving behind her very-nearly-sort-of-boyfriend and editor-in-chief, Grant. Now she is trying to be normal at her senior prom, with a new boy and new interests, and isn’t looking back.

Grant was totally blindsided when Rose walked away fro
Published August 7th 2018 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Last Best Story, please sign up.
Maggie Lehrman Hi! The Last Best Story is inspired by the classic movie His Girl Friday -- if you've seen the movie you'll see parallels, but it's absolutely not…moreHi! The Last Best Story is inspired by the classic movie His Girl Friday -- if you've seen the movie you'll see parallels, but it's absolutely not necessary to have seen the movie to get the book. Hope that answers your question!(less)

Stacee
Well. I came for the cutesy cover and EW premise of a “romantic comedy” and then the premise on GR mentions a possible school shooting and I was confused.

I liked Rose and Grant well enough. There were a lot of characters here and they’re all clichés. I didn’t feel like I actually got to know anyone as they’re all so wrapped up in themselves. I will say Rose’s mom was awesome for the short time we saw her.

Plot wise, it was all over the place. The chapters flip flop between past and present and
Samantha (WLABB)
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, arcs, contemporary, 2018
Rating: 3.5 Stars

For almost four years Rose had been Grant's "person", but then she abruptly walked away from the paper, journalism, and Grant too. The search for the truth about the gunman was their last chance to work on a story together, and maybe their last shot at friendship as well.

• Pro: The parts, which focused on the journalistic aspects were very interesting. I really enjoyed getting to see their whole process.

• Pro: I keep seeing a lot of reviewers saying they hated Grant. I didn't
Milena
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
At first glance The Last Best Story looked like a fluffy summer contemporary but surprisingly it turned out to be a more complex story about gun violence and school safety. I enjoyed the story and I liked most of the characters, except Grant. He behaved like a jerk a lot of the times, lying to and manipulating his friends to get what he wanted. I really don't see how he can be a good love interest for any YA heroine. He spoiled the book for me a little, but overall, The Last Best Story was an en ...more
demislibrary
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in one lazy day. It was quite an enjoyable read, though wasn’t what I was expecting.
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book made me want to read and write YA again! So good it hurts! I felt every emotion possible while reading The Last Best Story. The banter, the relationships, and the little mysteries swelling up throughout the novel had me finishing the book in two days, even though, early on, I'd ordered myself to slow down so I could savor it. Because I KNEW I wanted to stay in the world of Rose and Grant as long as possible. Each page closer to the end of the book was bittersweet in the best way.
Ann-Eliza  M.
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I just stayed up all reading this book in one sitting. It might be the lack of sleep talking, but this book was FULL of deplorables. I'm not talking flawed characters, I mean absolutely worthless human beings. I thought I was reading a Rom-com based on what I'd heard about the book, but talk about false intel. This book was chocked full of just about every high school trope you can think of- bullying, hazing, gun violence, sexual assault, police race relations...the list goes on. It's a bit much ...more
Jen Ryland
The format of this was challenging for me. I appreciate a writer who experiments with narrative, but in this case I thought the format got in the way of the flow of the story. It was a happened-in-one-night story about a lockdown at the prom, interspersed with flashbacks, told in a third-person omniscient style.

It wasn't really a thriller. It wasn't really a romance. I wasn't really sure what it was until I read the acknowledgments.

See my full thoughts on my review on JenRyland.com! Check out my
Thamy
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A little too slow and for not much.

Rose has quit the Gazette and decided not to go the college she'd been aiming for, she's also let go of her long-time crush, editor-in-chief Grant. It's been months and now it's prom, but Grant is not her date. When her best friend's boyfriend gets in trouble, her reporter self speaks louder and she goes after the vice principal. That's when the school goes into lockdown. Someone has a gun and Rose can't keep away from one last story.

I'd say this book's biggest
Michelle (Love, Stars and Books)
(I received a free review copy in exchange for an honest review from the Edelweiss.)

Book review: The last best story by Maggie Lehrman (2 stars)

“Something always happens.”

Title: The last best story
Authors: Maggie Lehrman
Format: kindle (eARC)
Genre: YA, romance, Contemporary
Rating: 2/5 stars
[Synopsis] (Taken from goodreads)

Teenreadsdotcom
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rose and Grant have been best friends since the start of high school and have worked side by side on their high school newspaper, the Gazette. In Maggie Lehrman’s THE LAST BEST STORY, the two are now at their senior year prom and Rose and Grant are no longer communicating. For some inexplicable reason, Rose quit the Gazette two months prior and left behind Grant, the editor-in-chief, and their future together as star journalists in college.

Now, Rose is at prom with a new guy, trying to forget ab
Rimpy Toor
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: august-2018
I received this novel a while ago and because of that when I finally did pick it up I decided not to read the synopsis and go into the novel blind. I figured from the front cover (which is beautiful and cutesy and colourful) that this novel would be an allover easy read. This novel definitely wasn’t a totally easy read, a majority of the novel felt easy but there were so many intense topics being discussed.

I was completely surprised that this novel featured a school shooting threat. It was very
Genie in a Novel
This is one of those moments when judging a book by a cover bit me in the behind. This was not at all what I expected it to be.

The structuring of the story was a little complicated with the constant flashbacks, prolonging the actual events of what the story was really about. It took forever to get to the actual "conflict" of the book where the prom goes on lock-down because of a supposed shooter in the school.

As far as characters go, Rose was okay, but I didn't understand how she could end up
Layla
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more of a 3.5 than a solid 4 for me.

As someone who used to work in journalism I really appreciated the story, what I struggled with, was the characters. I had a hard time relating to the main characters and related more to characters that were only very barely featured. Which is a problem for me. Good or bad, I want to be able to root for the main characters in some way. I just felt that the characters fell a little flat for me.

The showcasing of journalism was brilliant though. And aga
Lauren R.
This was fine I guess. It annoyed me a lot and I definitely didn’t get the ship at all? Rose spent the whole book explaining the reasons she thought Grant was an idiot, while Grant spent the whole book actually being an idiot. Soooo why would I want them to be together? I liked the realness of certain aspects (high school life) but the rest was definitely an interesting, unlikely situation. I’m not sure what to say; this definitely disappointed me.
Caroline
Dec 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
I had no idea what the main premise of this story was going into it, but after reading it, I wished I had found out what the main story of the book was.

I'm just going to jump right into my thoughts on the book. We kept jumping back and forth between present and past, and it was very confusing in the first few chapters, because there wasn't a title at the top of the chapter page that said so.

Another thing, (view spoiler)
Susan Mesler-Evans
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, read-in-one-day
NOTE: This book has not yet been released. I was given a free Advance Reading Copy by HarperCollins and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This book will be released on August 7, 2018. If you would like to send me an ARC, please see this page.

I read this all in one sitting, and I doubt I'll be the only one once this book hits the shelves. It's extremely easy to get through, with a fast-moving plot and a compelling voice. I was mostly satisfied by the ending, but honestly, my main though
Laura's Book Addiction
“He was the thing she could chase forever and never catch, like the perfect story.”

If it’s a cute fluffy story your looking for, then don’t let this cover fool you. The Last Best Story is a unfortunate tale of a annoying male character who is self centred and at one point his white privilege pissed me off so much when he put a black student in danger and he justified it by his need to have a girl start talking to him again.

I had such high hopes for this novel, it was on my most antic
Julie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I wasn't a fan of the cheating on both of their parts. He was dating someone and she was too. I did like that she realized it and try to focus on other things. This is a last story that they end up doing and figuring out their love for each other.
Beth Rodgers
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'The Last Best Story' by Maggie Lehrman is provocative and intriguing, bringing a shadow of a doubt to the truth-finding process and how life throws curveballs that can throw one's life completely off-kilter.

Rose and Grant have been friends and newspaper buddies since freshman year. Over their time on the paper together, their relationship has stayed pretty constant, and they are generally found co-conspiring about how to work the story to their mutual benefit and present the best piece of writi
Kidlitter
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A DRC was provided for a fair and honest review by Edelweiss.

Would a high school junior really say to his vice-principal and future writer of college recommendation letters, "Mr. Hackenstratt, this is a super fun fight, but are you going to censor the paper or what?" If you can suspend disbelief and accept that Reporter Rose and Editor Grant are that sassy and confident, then you'll love this whip-smart romantic YA romp. So what if it hurtles between screwball sleuthing, and an uneasy nod to som
Kara
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Riley
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, young-adult
As a fellow newspaper nerd, I loved this book so much, and from a writing/technical standpoint, I think it does a lot of difficult things well. It's all-around a good, fun YA contemporary, with character depth. I wish it were getting more attention!

The details around high school newspaper life were accurate and believable, and really took me back to my own high school days.

I saw a lot of myself in both Rose and Grant -- which makes for kind of a strange combination, haha, but that's OK. I partic
JoLee
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Maggie Lehrman's debut The Cost of All Things and was eager to see what she'd do next.

The Last Best Story is a bit of a conundrum. It's kind of a crazy caper, and I absolutely loved that part of it. We have Rosie and Grant, serious about the newspaper (well, that is until Rosie quit), and when things go slantwise at the prom, their investigative instincts kick in. They have to get to the bottom of it all. Even Rosie, who has sworn off the paper and Grant.

I also really loved
Jeannie
Sep 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Elizabeth
Christine
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Entertaining and exciting

I read this book in one sitting. It was enthralling to say the least. While I have issues with Grant- so many issues- Rose was a relatable, likable, and well rounded character. I love her and would die for her. And even my issues with Grant were everything to do with the believability of his actions. Another fully formed character.
Another thing I enjoyed about this book was the amount of times I was proven wrong. I take notes while reading and a FEW times I’d note some
Heather
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oh, dear, this was a bit of a train wreck, to say the least. The plot was disjointed and the constant flashbacks within a chapter, without any warning, had me struggling with the flow of the story. Also, until nearly the middle of the book, nothing happened and, even when the shooter finally made an entrance, I wasn't that impressed. The Last Best Story lacked suspense and I had almost given up on the book at this point.

Rose was quite a good character, but Grant was rather disappointing, especia
Sophia M
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
As someone who worked on a high school publication, this book was so incredibly relatable and real to me. I was able to relate to the characters and the stress they felt regarding both their publication and deciding whether a publication was the most important part of high school.
I don’t usually read YA, as I don’t usually find the character voices believable and the stories often melodramatic. But I didn’t find this story to be unbelievable, and I found the emotions expressed throughout to fee
Kiki Cole
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***A huge thanks to the author for sending this to me through an Instagram giveaway***

This was definitely a “don’t judge a book by its cover” instance! The contemporary, sweet looking cover made me think of a wedding or prom book with a swoony romance, but it was actually a contemporary, mystery thriller. It was about uncovering a case of a potential school shooter during a inexpensive prom experience. I thought this book was a complete deceiving irony, but I loved it! I didn’t really like Grant
Christiana
3.5 stars. Don't let the cover fool you. This is not a breezy romance about prom. This (surprisingly literary) read takes on a series of serious issues ((view spoiler)) along with complicated characters who are not always likable (much like real people). All in all though, it was a little too madcap (think: Trouble is a Friend of Mine but Digby is 10 times less concerned about people's feelings) and I thin ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • If Only
  • The Absolute Value of -1
  • All That I Can Fix
  • Le libérateur (Les outrepasseurs #3)
  • Missing at 17
  • The Art of Feeling
  • Dream Country
  • How to Breathe Underwater
  • Action: A Book About Sex
Maggie Lehrman is a writer and editor living in Brooklyn, NY. She grew up outside of Chicago and went on to get a degree in English at Harvard, where she once received a grant to purchase young adult books the library didn't have. During her decade of working as an editor of books for children, she also earned an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts. The C ...more