Start by marking “Tailor-Made” as Want to Read:
Tailor-Made

Tailor-Made

Before Grace Henderson began working as a tailor in her father’s bespoke suit shop in Wiliamsburg, Brooklyn, she established a hard and fast rule about not dating clients. The edict is an easy one for her to follow, considering the overwhelming majority of the shop’s clients are men. But when Dakota Lane contacts her to commission a suit to wear to her sister’s wedding, ...more
ebook
Published December 1st 2017 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Tailor-Made, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tailor-Made

Start your review of Tailor-Made
Lex Kent
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-f-bsb-romance
3 1/2 Stars. This was better than Wallace’s other two books she released this year, but wasn’t as good as some of her older work. I like Wallace as an author and I also like that she writes many main POC’s. I’m always happy to read books with some diversity in them. I enjoyed this read but had a few issues with it.

Dakota is a model who is well known for her androgynous look. She models and wears mostly men’s clothes. With her sister’s wedding approaching, Dakota decides to get a suit
Rosi
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a kind of fairy tale, by the way it is developed and especially by its end and there are some things that are not quite coherent. It is clear that many of the characters in romantic novels are very stereotyped, but I believe that in this case, Dakota has too many topics. Also, does not it seem that her behavior is absolutely credible, being a top model and working as a bicycle messenger? Fairy tale. Then, the doubts of Grace and her changes of attitude towards Dakota seem somewhat ...more
MJS
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
ARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This story was just straight-up charming. I loved both characters, although Grace did annoy me a little, especially towards the end. I was worried this would be one of those ‘player keeps on playing whiled she decides if she can settle down’ books, but Dakota was far from that, and I confess to being half in love with her myself by the end of the book.

The chemistry between Grace and Dakota was immediate but this is a slow burn,
Romie
To put it simply : this is boring. And offensive most of the time.
I didn’t find the relationship interesting: it has this weird vibe of insta-love topped with a LOT of cheesy moments that ad nothing to the story—probably what made me dislike it so much.
I disliked Dakota’s character, I found her full of herself and though she tried to challenge what gender really means, she playing with the idea of gender, but at no moment is she presented as anything but cis.
Grace wasn’t much better to be
Xan West
Note: I do not recommend this book to trans and/or non-binary readers, or butch readers.

A copy was provided by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I wanted to read this because it was a romance with a Black MC who was a tailor of bespoke suits. I was excited for all the tailoring details, and that it centered around a long-time Black-owned Brooklyn family business in a neighborhood that was gentrifying (Williamsburg). It promised complex family dynamics and a bunch
Stephanie
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the characters in this book. However, I wanted much more. So many of the actions of both characters just didn't make any sense. It moved too fast and didn't give this reader enough build-up.
The end was way too cliche' and way too perfect.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jude
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yolanda Wallace is always a sure bet. The theme of this book (never judge a book by its cover) was cleverly treated, though the ending was a bit rushed. The characters were good, including the supporting cast of friends and family.
Anja
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
A solid 3, I liked Grace and Dakota and how the story played out, but in the last quarter of the book there were quite a few whys. Why did Brooke actually show up? Why did Grace qalk out on Dakota? Why are Grace's sister so superficial?
Natasha
Review also on my blog

Twitter

Bookstagram

I received an arc from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, this is going to be tricky to review. I really wanted to love this but I just... didn't. There was a lot of discussion around gender which was good but both of the leads are cis. One of them, Dakota, does say she isn't a fan of labels and is overall more androgynous but in the end, the novel seems to only present her as cis.

I should note I am cis but there were some
Arien
3.5 stars. A bit too fairytale like for my taste but otherwise a pleasant read. Never have I read a lesfic book that involves tailoring and it's nice to tackle new topics. Keeps me engaged.

But other than that this is a fairly typical butch x femme story. Both characters were nicely developed though Grace's wishy-washiness was too forced at times. She did a lot of 180 seemingly without much extrinsic pressure. It was also not quite clear why Dakota changed her player ways too. It's all a bit
Kate ☀️ Olson
Feb 08, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
I wanted to love this but DNF 50% through, based on weird feelings about the non-binary rep - this #ownvoices review solidified my decision to DNF: Review at Corey's Book Corner
Jess
I received this book free from NetGalley and Bold Strokes Books in exchange for an honest review.

This review was first posted to Love Bytes: LGBTQ Book Reviews. It has been slightly edited here for content.

This is Yolanda Wallace’s twelfth (!!!) book and my personal favorite work of hers so far. Wallace has proven to be a varied writer who crafts diverse characters in a wide range of settings, and this take on a simple, sweet, butch/femme love story really showcases her soft writing style and
Pippa D
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian-romances
Grace Henderson works as a designer and tailor in her father’s bespoke suit shop in Brooklyn. Working in the family business has all the perks and problems you’d expect, but Grace loves the chance to create for her clients.

Dakota Lane is hired as a male model for her gender-bending looks. However, for Dakota, it’s more than just a fashion statement. Looking for a special outfit for her sister’s wedding, Dakota asks Grace to design a suit. A suit might be their introduction, but how far will it
Heidi
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked the characters. Nothing was a surprise or really different, but still a good light romance.
Tara
Yolanda Wallace did a fabulous job of developing two complex, interesting women who I found myself investing in and rooting for. They had chemistry from their first encounter, with their relationship development including a compelling push and pull to it as both women were battling between desire for each other alongside other concerns or challenges that could stand in the way of a relationship. They both had character arcs that were very good and I so happy when I saw where they ended up in ...more
Velvet Lounger
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional, romance
i vacillated between 3.5/4 on this one...

Grace is a tailor, working at the family firm her father built up, mainly taking the women and younger clients, but gradually taking over the business from her father. Her work-life and home life are great, but her dating life is a mess, constantly trying blind dates with women her friends set her up with, and rarely making a second.

When rising supermodel Dakota Lane walks in late for an appointment, needing a suit for her sister’s wedding, Grace is
Catherine
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
It's funny when I read the blurb I wasn't drawn to the book however I do enjoy Yolanda Wallace's previous books so thought I would read it anyways. I enjoyed the story more than I thought I would which was a nice surprise. I did struggle a bit with Grace as a character who I found to be a bit judgmental. Her sisters just sounded like brats so they weren't great additions to the book.

I didn't love the book but still enjoyed it enough to finish. The characters won't stay with me. A quick light
Trisha
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harker
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rep: Plus size Black Lesbian MC, Genderfluid presenting MC, supporting LGT cast, Filipino side character

CW: some homophobic comments/inferences

Tailor-Madehas lighthearted moments like many romance novels, but there are many depths within this novel. There's steaminess as well, plus it touches on serious subjects such gentrification and difficulties faced by the LGBTQIA+ community.

Grace and Dakota may be the focus of the story, but once you pick up this book, you will find much more than their
A.W.
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I did like that this book had an androgynous character as the main. Dakota’s character was really likeable whereas Grace was a little annoying.

The pace of the romance was good for the most part. Like others, I did find the ending to be quite rushed, which was a shame.

I quite enjoyed reading Tailor-Made but something was missing for me to say “Wow, this is a great book.”

Review also posted here: https://wp.me/p4Pp9O-LN
Kennedy
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-ng-okay
I enjoy romance novels and this read was sweet with some push and pull but communication is the key to navigate the challenges. I like the main characters. What interesting and unique careers they both have. The bike ride, caught in the rain, a meal in a quaint/trendy restaurant and a cute scene at a baseball game. The romantic in me smiles very big. Both characters are likeble and you want happiness and fulfillment to boil over for them. Grace Henderson has it all figured out from the business ...more
Megan
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really sweet story that I enjoyed quite a bit. I've read a few of Wallace's books and I'm always impressed how adept she is at switching things up and keeping things interesting- plots, settings, story lines. - and also includes a more diverse set of characters than you normally see in lesfic., Tailor-made focuses on Dakota, an androgynous model/bike courier and Grace, a tailor working in her family's business. It's a great set up and Wallace does a fantastic job with developing both ...more
I received a free pre release copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars. I was in the mood for a butch-femme romance and this one hit the spot! Sweet, but with plenty of sexual tension, no insta-love, but instead a relationship building over time, and interesting characters including not only Dakota and Grace, but their friends and family. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a sweet (with some steaminess near the end) contemporary romance.
Martha
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hella hot, confident, grown-ass ladies with their own lives who aren't pining for a partner and don't immediately act without (for a while) considering consequences? Sign me up. And, yes, it's just as gratifying as it sounds.
Kay
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
#RWLChallenge: A Lammy Award winner

A bit predictable but I really liked it. Possibly the steamiest book I've read this year.
JenReadsRomance
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-f
What a great romance! Tailor Grace Henderson is assigned the task of measuring and designing a suit for gender-fluid model Dakota Lane. There's instant chemistry, but Grace has the voice of her conservative father in her head, warning her that Dakota is too much of a wild child. Or it just that Grace is afraid of her own feelings for Dakota, who's nothing at all like the woman she usually dates?

There's a real sense of fullness in this story, with Grace and Dakota both having rich backgrounds of
Pamela
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Grace Henderson is a master tailor in her father’s Brooklyn tailor ship. She’s been promised her father will hand over the keys to the shop when he retires. She has a rule against dating clients, which is easy to follow since the vast majority of their clients are men. Then Dakota Lane walks into their shop. Dakota is a handsome androgynous woman with two jobs—a bicycle messenger and male model. Grace is immediately drawn to Dakota, but reminds herself of her rule against dating clients and that ...more
Finn Longman
Real rating is probably a low 2.5*s, so let's live in hope that 2018 is the year that Goodreads gives us a half-star option...

I enjoyed the premise of this book -- enough to request it from NetGalley and be relatively hopeful about it -- but the execution was something of a disappointment, and as a result, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I'd hoped.

My issues were mainly stylistic. In particular, I felt there was too much exposition, and it wasn't particularly skilfully done. In the early
Dannica Zulestin
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finished reading this book really late at night, and I couldn't wait to review it, so I might have to edit this review later to be more precise or what have you. But I think the fact that it kept me up late reading says something about the book in itself.

The Premise
Grace is a tailor running the family business. She's a lesbian who only dates feminine women, and never dates customers. Dakota is a...well, as she says, "whatever I feel like on any given day", or in simplest terms possible, an
Lauren loves llamas
Hello, opposites! Dakota is a playgirl and party girl. She’s such a playgirl that there’s an off-hand comment that one of the security guards at a building she delivers to is always good for a “quick round of athletic sex in the supply closet.” That’s some serious dedication to hookup sex! Dakota is confident in her sexuality and the androgynous image she models, and isn’t interested in relationships. In her words, she’s “never met anyone who makes me want to come back for more.”

Grace is set in
« previous 1 3 next »

• Just for Show
  • Right Here, Right Now
  • The Do-Over
  • The Shape of You
  • Love After Hours (A Rivers Community Romance, #4)
  • Hearts Like Hers (Seven Shores, #2)
  • Beautiful Dreamer
  • Sparks Like Ours (Seven Shores, #3)
  • Who'd Have Thought
  • Charming the Vicar (Axedale, #2)
  • Falling into Her
  • Edge of Glory
  • Casting Lacey
  • The Lily and the Crown
  • Blend
  • Touch
  • It's Not a Date
  • The Princess Deception
Yolanda Wallace is not a professional writer, but she plays one in her spare time. She has written seven novels, and her short stories have appeared in multiple anthologies. She and her partner live in beautiful coastal Georgia, where they are parents to four children of the four-legged variety — a boxer and three cats.

Yolanda Wallace also writes under the pen name Mason Dixon.
“everyone’s born naked and the rest was drag.” 0 likes