Start by marking “Hawklady (Spellmonger Cadet, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hawklady (Spellmonger Cadet, #2)

Hawklady

(Spellmonger Cadet #2)

Hawklady!

When Lenodara the Hawkmaiden – Dara, to her friends – was made an apprentice to the foremost wizard in the world, Minalan the Spellmonger, Magelord of her native land of Sevendor, she thought that the adventurous life was behind her. She looked forward to a long, boring career of learning how to read and taking magic lessons . . . but Dara’s life as the Spellmonge
Published May 9th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Hawklady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hawklady

Start your review of Hawklady (Spellmonger Cadet, #2)
Thomas
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
General Overview
The second instalment of Terry Mancour’s Spellmonger Cadet series, Hawklady see our heroine Dara, faces down dangerous monsters, and even more deadly ladies of court. Another exciting read, for readers of all ages.

Style
Mr Mancour’s writing style remains as engaging as ever. He also continues with the unnecessary repetition of parts of his book, which have been a personal bugbear of mine for his series. ( See my previous reviews for more on this)

He does however deliver again wit
Christopher Finn
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's Terry Mancour, so, always a win.
This part of the series hits around (it's been a while) the Journey Mage or Knight's Magi timeframe of the Spellmonger series.
I thought it would have been a great idea to delve into the talents of Dara then, and it's been a pretty good ride, considering you're revisiting what's now considered history in the timeline of Sevendor.
The book delivers, and, to my surprise, I love the tie-ins from Dara's point of view on subjects addressed in the nine books I've re
Dorothy
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series!

I have now read every book in this series and I have to say I want more!!! The world created by Mr. Mancour is so real! The books so well written that you lose yourself in the stories! Lady Dara is so well written that I would love to meet her and her bird frightful! I have been a avid reader of fantasy novels and I have to say that the spellmonger series ranks with the very best of the fantasy elite! I would love to see movies made of this world but I honestly question if any
Alice
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-middlegrade
This was just as enjoyable as the first, but definitely suffers a little more from expecting you to have read the main series. There were a few unexplained changes to the world that threw me slightly - such as there suddenly being a king now - but they were easy to get over since they didn't relate directly to the main character and the actual plot of the book.

What confused me the most was Dara's sudden lock of white hair. I remember it being mentioned at all in the previous book, and consideri
Zachary
Mar 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Another fun adventure for the Hawkmaiden

This continues the adventures of Lenodora. It's pretty fun, though it dips into politics a little (not too much). The action is pretty well done, and it's always fun to see the heroine get recognized. This did cover events from the main Spellmonger series, just from a different perspective. I found it fun and refreshing. Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Danny Moody
Mar 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Really good book. I’m liking Dora a lot more than a lot of the characters in this series. She is a lot more innocent and not as corrupted as a lot of the other characters. This brings a fresh perspective to the books. Once again I wonder what my thoughts would be if I didn’t know what was going to happen because of other books.
Leslie
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Further Insight into Spellmonger Continuum

Dara character shown in development across the storyline which is consistent with the main novels. It did add some texture to my understanding of society here and as usual is well crafted and written.
val judy
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fine addition to the Spellmonger Universe

A short but worthwhile and enjoyable dive into the Spellmonger Universe so adeptably constructed by Mancour. Enjoyed the new perspective from Min's new apprentice.
Roger D. Robertson
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun Read

Sometimes it is fun to just read to expand on a story you are already in. These books expand on the themes I have already read. Good read, just for fun. Enjoyed it and recommend it to all, no matter your age.
Daniel Marquez
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Slow (I wanted more)

I liked it, I really did. But the thing is I wanted more. Took 2 books to tell somethings thate were in few chapters in the third book. I think my critisism is not really one. I just wanted more.
Mike
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful addition to the Spellmonger series.

I find the retelling of events from the mainline story thru young Dara's eyes very entertaining reading. The tone of the Hawklady books is generally light and entertaining, making for a fun fast read.
William Howe
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Needs proofreading

Far too many obvious errors, to include sentences that are little more than word-salad.

Still readable. It was interesting viewing the battle from a different perspective.
Keith
Not as good as the first.
Jenn Moon
Excellent sevond installment to this series.
Jeffrey A. Dewey
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Awesome read as Dara continues to develop her magic talent while helping to save the realm from the unleashed goblins and assassination attemot.
Jordan Roch
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great short story

Lovely novel from Dara's perspective. Goes into way more detail then Magelord on after the dragonfall. Can't wait for more!
Heath
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2018
Good Read.

The young adult novel of the hawkmaiden that becomes the hawklady. The story continues, but from a different view with new happenings that the reader was not aware of.
Bob Roseman
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun!

An entertaining tale worthy of the Spellmonger series. This series has gotten to be among my all time favorites. Highly recommended!
Jeffrey Brockway
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love these books. I'm really enjoying this cadet series. ...more
Ingrid
Mar 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Fantastic follow up to Hawkmaiden. Such an enjoyable ride. The narrator on audible is amazing.
Kristine
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought the Audible version when I read that it was on the "New Release" list and then realized once I started listening that I had already read this. So - I went ahead and read it and listened to it again and enjoyed it just as much as before. It is always nice to go back into the world of the Spellmonger and it is doubly so because the events in this novella take place right in the middle of the current plot (after some major events, yet before others). This takes me back to when Dara was you ...more
GaiusPrimus
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic, magic
Terry Mancour continues to deliver on the Spellmonger literary world, but who really turns his stories from a 4* to a 5* novel are his voice actors.

This picks up right after the previous book in the side-series and we get to see a lot of important information that ties directly to plot running through the main books. It really fills out the character of Lady Dara and I'm hoping we get to see the experiments with Frightful to get the giant eagles in the next book.
Amanda Kern
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book

Read the first book before reading this. You do not have to read any of the other books except hawkmaiden before this one. It does help though and gives you some background to the characters. I can't wait for the next book.
andrew jenkins
Morso
Dec 16, 2020
Stickman-G
Oct 24, 2017

• Inflame (The Completionist Chronicles, #5)
  • The Red Sea (The Cycle of Galand #1)
  • The Silver Thief (The Cycle of Galand #2)
  • Shadeslinger (The Ripple System #1)
  • Arcane (The Arinthian Line #1)
  • Brushfire
  • The Wound of the World (The Cycle of Galand #3)
  • Unity (Henchman #3)
  • Defender (Light Online, #4)
  • Critical Mass (Expeditionary Force, #10)
  • Twilight Templar (The Eternal Journey #1)
  • The Dao of Magic #3
  • The Jade Lord (Viridian Gate Online #3)
  • Darkling Siege (Viridian Gate Online #7)
  • Mana Master (A Mage's Cultivation, #1)
  • Salvation (New Era Online, #6)
  • Sandqueen (Rise To Omniscience #7)
See top shelves…

Spellmonger Cadet (3 books)
  • Hawkmaiden (Spellmonger Cadet, #1)
  • Sky Rider (Spellmonger Cadet, #3)

News & Interviews