Start by marking “The Price (Bitter Creek, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Price (Bitter Creek, #4)

The Price

(Bitter Creek #4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  836 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Joan Johnston presents the thrilling saga of two dynastic families, the Blackthornes and the Creeds, with this powerful New York Times bestseller -- a novel of intrigue, passion, ambition, and love set amid Houston's towering skyscrapers and the majestic plains of South Texas ranch country.
Luke Creed has sacrificed everything for his career at the prestigious law firm DeWitt & Bl
Published February 1st 2004 by Pocket Books (first published March 25th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Miss Kim
Jun 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Miss Kim by: continuation of series
The Price is the 4th installment of the Bitter Creek series. The story is accelerated twelve years later than the previous novel. It didn’t really like that, but some of the previous characters do make minor appearances.

Luke Creed is now an up and coming lawyer at DeWitt and Blackthorne, a prestigious law firm in Houston. He’s divorced, and has two young daughters, 10 and 6. His dedication to his career has cost him his wife and family. Now he works 80 hour weeks and has time for har
Christel
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: contemporary romance readers
Shelves: joan-johnston
Another novel in the Bitter Creek Series by Johnson.

Luke Creed had always been a rebel, doing what he wanted when he wanted. Amy was his high school sweetheart.

They broke up and Amy later married a man from Virginia and moved away. Luke meanwhile, went to college got his degree in law and became a practicing lawyer at the prestigious lawfirm of DeWitt & Blackthorne. He has sacrificed everything for his career, a marriage, 2 beautiful daughters, and his families
Stephanie Jenkins Ortiz Cerrillo
The 4th book in the Bitter Creek series was slow paced in the beginning compared to the other books but it did not disappoint. I have a major illness so the deceit and lawsuit around the drug controversy in this book was very intriguing to me! I'm sure this kind of thing happens all the time unfortunately but I hope it doesn't go as far as it did in The Price.

Luke Creed has spent years with one goal in mind, tobr a partner at DeWitt & Blackthorne Law Firm. He's sacrificed his marriage, time
Bark
Feb 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, audiobook
When I started this book I didn't realize it was #4 in a long running series. This means the author throws out tons of characters and refers to past events that left me shaking my pea brain in confusion.

Set in Texas two ex-high school lovers now in their 30's and divorced with kids reunite at Luke's family farm. Sort of. Luke desperately wants to get together with Amy. She was the love of his life despite the fact that she dumped him to marry a stable doctor-type. She wants nothing to do with h
Jaime Atkins
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
This is the second book I've read by Joan Johnston and I loved it as much as I did the first. I read it entirely in one day because I couldn't put it down. The only part of this book that I didn't like was when Luke's wife calls and basically "gives" her kids to him....that would never happen. The fact that they were staying close by would have been enough to make the story have a good ending or they could have settled on better visitation arrangements. Other than that....GREAT book!!!
Jodi
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
Marianne
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Continuing saga of the Creeds and Blackthornes. This one was Luke Creed's story.
These frothy romances are good quick reading, albeit very unrealistic with everything coming out like a fairy tale.

But, I like to read these stories between serious books. Good diversion.
Jenn Bradshaw
Lawyers, Juvenile Diabetes, and second chance romance, all bundled neatly into one steamy romance novel - The Price, by Joan Johnston, a Bitter Creek novel. I loved the story, except for one glaring omission.

Luke’s given everything he can to rise to the top at a prestigious law firm on his own merit. To wit, he’s lost his marriage, has little time to give to his young daughters, his relationship with his mother (though that might be more a case of bitterness towards his step-father a
Marcia
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read this series completely out of order, but that's ok, as the author provides enough back story, to catch the reader up. This is Luke Creed's story. He has never gotten over the murder of his father and his mother marrying his father's enemy, Jackson Blackthorne. With the marriage, their two ranches have been joined and while his siblings have reconciled with the situation, Luke has wanted nothing to do with his step father. He left Bitter Creek, got his law degree, married and subseque ...more
Anna
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I totally enjoyed this book and this author. The story line was Rey interesting, and very well written. The characters in this story were very much alive and fitting for this story. So many levels in the life of one person are shared in this story which reflects how we live in the real world. I discovered this book while seRching for additional works by this author. I totally recommend this book as a great companion for the road trip in audio/e-book form. Hoping to get the opinion of other reade ...more
Pj
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Big drug company, big lawyer, big scheme to hide the deaths caused by a miracle drug targeted for diabetics. Courage is needed for one lawyer, hoping to be made partner, to do the right thing even though he must go against the whole firm. Will he win or lose everything?
Glenda Kinard
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just when I think this series can't get anymore of a roller coaster ride with who did what or why or who did what with or to who it does as with this book Luke Creed's story oh my was this one ever a page turner. I can't hardly wait to get into the next book. Joan Johnston really has a wonderful way with keeping her readers on the very tip edge of ones seat
Richard Guerrero
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyed it, did not care for the part when Nikki Maldanado was murdered. Knowing that he wanted to killer and gave him more of the ammunition to follow through. The storyline was was good and I did like how Jackson helped Luke and now they will be more cordial with each other.
Tracy Hall
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

I enjoyed this book very much. It was more lawyers than I like and less cowboys than I want but overall, it was fantastic.
Tonya Lucas
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one fantastic book!!! Deceit, murder, revenge, nail-biting drama, so set back and enjoy what's about to unravel.
sandy forguson
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book and characters like creed and Amy would highly recommend 👍
HiDee Ekstrom
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want to put this book down!
♥ Vonda M. Reid ♥
Overall Rating: 4.45
Action: 3.0 / Emotion: 3.5 / Romance: 3.75 / Sensuous: 1.5 / Suspense: 4.0 // Laughter: 0 // Teary: 3

The Price: 4.45
Re-reading The Price, the fourth book in The Bitter Creek Series, provided many hours of enjoyment and entertainment. Even though this book was a wonderful addition to this series, it is not the best book of the series.

Hero: 3.50:
Luke Creed: The rebellious troublemaker, who didn't follow anyone's rules, turned into a responsible, driven hero. However, the wa/>:/>The
Gina Salamon
I have read other books by this author and have enjoyed them, which is why I picked this one up at the last book sale I visited. Regrettably, however, and in all honesty, I didn't finish this book, which is why I have not rated it. I feel that without knowing the whole story, any rating would be unfair.

I started skipping sentences and then paragraphs before I got through the first chapter. By page 85, I was so bored, I just couldn't keep going. I felt that long before then I should have develop
Jess
Jun 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Eh.. this was okay I guess. This book differed from the others because it was not located in Bitter Creek. It focused on Luke Creed's job in a firm in Houston. There was a lot of focus on his case about a drug manufacturer and the drugs effectiveness. I was looking forward to reading more about the cowboys and his family, if I wanted to hear about drug trials and courts I would have turned on the news. I hope the next one isn't similar otherwise I'll be upset.

Also, Luke's character a
Amanda Williams
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Oops, didn't realize I had already read this until I went to log it in my index card file of "read" books. Oh well, it was a good read, but must have been unforgettable in the big scheme of things. Wouldn't be the first time I have done this - I usually remember having read it though, even if I didn't remember the whole thing.
Robyn
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Not my favorite one so far. Too much legal talk and not enough romance and cowboy. ;-) Although I was glad for Luke's story, I just couldn't get into it like I did the first three in the Bitter Creek series.
Shelley Vanbrunt
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not sure if I am going to finish this series. If I wanted to read a murder mystery I would read one. And really what was the deal with Valerie giving custody of the kids to their dad. I was left with WHAT? with no explanation this made no sense and I truly don't understand the point.
Orla
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lot of characters and subplots here
Tonya Lucas
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book with lots if deceit, backstabbing, murder, and 1st loves reborn. Set back and enjoy Luke Creeds story.
Kimberly
Dec 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
The only reason I finished it was because it takes place in my hometown. Otherwise, I didn't like this book.
Arica
Oct 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Not bad...not super, super good... but entertaining. Moves along quickly.
Judy Smith
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Second time I've read this series love it!!
Mellanie C
Aug 18, 2016 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mom
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and it kept me reading to find out what the real story was regarding the kids dying. I wanted the big corporation to be at fault. Spellbinding.

• Willow
  • Lone Star Christmas (Hawk's Way, #11; Long, Tall Texans, #18)
  • Total Access: A Journey to the Center of the NFL Universe
  • Force For Change: How Leadership Differs from Management
  • Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction
  • The Ten Commandments: The Significance of God's Laws in Everyday Life
  • Fairy Tale
  • A NASCAR Holiday 2: Miracle Season/Season of Dreams/Taking Control/The Natural
  • Last Chance (Cassidy Men, #2)
  • Istri Pilihan (Bride Wanted)
  • The 13th Apostle
Joan Johnston (born Little Rock, Arkansas) is a best-selling American author of over forty contemporary and historical romance novels.

Johnston was the third of seven children born to an Air Force sergeant and his music-teacher wife. She received a B.A. in theatre arts from Jacksonville University in 1970, then earning an M.A. in theatre from the University of Illinois, Urbana in 1971.

Bitter Creek (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Cowboy (Bitter Creek #1)
  • The Texan (Bitter Creek, #2)
  • The Loner (Bitter Creek, #3)
  • The Rivals (Bitter Creek, #5)
  • The Next Mrs. Blackthorne (Bitter Creek, #6)
  • A Stranger's Game (Bitter Creek, #7)
  • Shattered (Bitter Creek, #8)
  • Sinful (Bitter Creek, #9)
  • Shameless (Bitter Creek #10)
  • Surrender (Bitter Creek, #11)