Start by marking “A Case of Conspiracy in Clerkenwell (A Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventure Book 3)” as Want to Read:

A Case of Conspiracy in Clerkenwell

(Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #3)

The ladies of Clerkenwell Central Hall are none too pleased at having their Temperance meetings disrupted by the rowdy Communists next door, but for Miss Olive Stapleton in particular, the uneasy coexistence proves fatal when she is found stabbed through the heart with a paper-knife. Enter Freddy Pilkington-Soames, who’s been recruited by British Intelligence to ...more
Published May 3rd 2017 by Mount Street Press

To ask other readers questions about A Case of Conspiracy in Clerkenwell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Case of Conspiracy in Clerkenwell

Start your review of A Case of Conspiracy in Clerkenwell (A Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventure Book 3)
Robin
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
A Case of Conspiracy in Clerkenwell is the 3rd book in the Freddy Pilkington-Soames series by Clara Benson. The story is set in the late 1920s or early 1930s in London. Freddy is a sort of ne'er do well, upper-class Englishman, who tries to work as a newspaper reporter. He was first introduced to readers in Benson's Angela Marchmont series.

Clerkenwell Central Hall is the meeting place of two disparate organization on the same evening - the Young Women's Abstinence Association and the East
Andrea
Enjoyable light read, though I guessed the killer (which is rare for me). I think Freddy could do with a sidekick to bounce off, but I'm not overly keen on his fixation with Iris.
Scot
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Third in this Freddy series. I kept feeling I had read this book or seen a film a lot like it before, odd bits of literary deja vu However, the setting is unusual enough and the date of publication new enough that an earlier encounter was highly unlikely. In any case, I enjoyed reading it enough to keep going. Freddy is asked to infiltrate a weekly meeting of Communists as he is a reporter and can say he is just researching a story. The Communists share the building where they meet once a week ...more
Susan
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unfortunately the Temperance meeting and the Communists have to share the Clerkenwell Central Hal with each other. The ladies of the Temperance society are not happy concerning this, especially Miss Olive Stapleton. This is made worse when Miss Stapleton is found dead.
Meanwhile Henry Jameson at British Intelligence asks Freddy to attend the Communist meetings as he suspects they are trying to arrange another general strike.
Another enjoyable well-written mystery with its likeable main character

Sharon
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Temperance & Communism

Asked by the Gov't, Freddie goes undercover to suss out the goings on of the Communist Rally meetings that meet in the town hall on the same night as the Temperance group. When one of the Temperance woman is found dead after a meeting, he tries to solve the crime as well as foil the plot of the more radical communist members. Took me a while to get into this particular book. I am a big Clara Benson fan, but this book seemed to move too slow for me.
Michael
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as much fun as Book One

There was a lot to like about this book. I thought, however, it was a bit confusing. Too many characters had similar names, and as a strong supporter of labor unions, I found that the anti labor rhetoric hard to take, not knowing what the characters really felt. Now on to book three.
Karen
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable mystery in this series; I liked this one better than #2 but not quite as much as #1. In this book, the murder is actually rather secondary to the conspiracy, but I was still surprised to find out "who did it". Freddy is still an amusing central character and Benson's writing is still refreshingly clever and accomplished. I'm sure I'll be reading #4!
JK
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another riveting story, what

I love the Clara Benson books. They are so easy to read and entertaining. Angela was great and now Freddy is fully establishing himself as a favorite.
This adventure see trouble with the communists and the temperance groups, and Freddy in the middle of it all.
Loved it
Heatherinblack
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
good for freddy!

Freddy was marvelous in this book. The mystery was clever and even included political intrigue! Freddy's efforts were reasonable and not too far fetched. He is a bit of a dandy, but a clever one
hollace turnage
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Must read

C Benson describes wonderful characters that are not clones. Each one is well defined with temperament, language, etc. Can't wait to read her next offering.
Shelby
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another winner

A very enjoyable read. Interesting characters and plot. Freddy has developed over the past several books into an interesting young man. Can't wait for the next book.
Sarah Schattman
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Always a pleasure

Freddy combines his reportorial skills and unrelenting charm to foil a communist plot and discover the murderer of a temperance volunteer.
Elisa
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Freddy is as entertaining as ever, even if he always seems to get banged up in the process of solving crimes.
Marjorie
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like British Cozy mysteries, you may find these are very entertaining. I am planning on reading all of them just for fun!
Michelle Abraham Ne Hartshorn
Great

I love the author as she manages very well to capture and transport you back to the 1930's. Always an enjoyable read and can't wait to read the next one.
Patricia
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A light read but fun. I need light reads now and then.
Elmira
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book was greyer, less vivid, than Benson's usual style.
drew pether
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed it

Good to see Freddy getting up to his usual antics. Enjoyed it as I have all the others waiting for the next one
Pauline Ross
Book 3 of the new Christie-esque murder mystery series by the author, featuring Freddy Pilkington-Soames rather than Angela Marchmont, which gives the books a very different flavour. Angela was very much a lady, so her sleuthing was conducted over cups of tea and genteel dinner parties, whereas Freddy is a man about town, and there’s a certain amount of creeping about in the middle of the night, and he gets physical from time to time. Unlike Angela, there’s no mysterious past to be gradually ...more
Irene Vartanoff
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Temperance ladies and the Communists in London of the 1920s make curious bedfellows in adjoining rented meeting spaces; it's not surprising that murder ensues. Freddy gets deeper into Actual Adult Behavior as the secret service wants him to investigate the goings on, but there's also plenty of typical Freddy drinking too much and the usual lighthearted approach to life as a reporter for the kind of newspaper rightly called a rag. This story gets quite tense at points but is mostly one fun ...more
ShanDizzy
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Freddy has come into his own. I hope to read more of his escapades.
Moria Sheehan
Nov 29, 2017
Lisa Holmes
Jun 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Murder in Black Tie (High Society Lady Detective)
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle,#6)
  • The Egyptian Antiquities Murder (High Society Lady Detective Book 3)
  • The Saltwater Murder (Posie Parker Mystery #7)
  • Murder at the Boat Club: a cozy 1920s murder mystery (A Ginger Gold Mystery)
  • Murder at the Tea Party: 1920s Historical Cozy Mystery (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 2)
  • Murder on Eaton Square (A Ginger Gold Mystery, #10)
  • A Subtle Murder (Rose Beckingham, #1)
  • Dead in the Water (Campbell and Carter Mystery #4)
  • Rack, Ruin and Murder (Campbell and Carter Mystery #2)
  • Murder in the Folly (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 7)
  • Murder in Venice (Posie Parker Mystery #6)
  • Murder at the Masquerade Ball (Rose Simpson Mysteries #9)
  • LORD JAMES HARRINGTON AND THE WHITSUN MYSTERY
  • Murder at Blackburn Hall (High Society Lady Detective Book 2)
  • A Christmas Case (Posie Parker Mystery #5.5)
  • Eggs on Ice (Cackleberry Club, #8)
  • Murder & The Heir (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #1)
Clara Benson is the author of the Angela Marchmont Mysteries and Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures - traditional English whodunits in authentic style set in the 1920s and 30s. One day she would like to drink cocktails and solve mysteries in a sequinned dress and evening gloves. In the meantime she lives in the north of England with her family and doesn't do any of those things.

If you want to be

Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures (5 books)
  • A Case of Blackmail in Belgravia (Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #1)
  • A Case of Murder in Mayfair (Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #2)
  • A Case of Duplicity in Dorset (Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #4)
  • A Case of Suicide in St. James's (Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures #5)