Start by marking “Winston Churchill: A Life From Beginning to End” as Want to Read:
Winston Churchill: A Life From Beginning to End

Winston Churchill: A Life From Beginning to End

Winston Churchill The man that the world knows as Winston Churchill looms large on the stage of world history. Like some sort of colossus from antiquity, Churchill strides between two major epochs in the world, one foot planted in the glory days of the British Empire when the sun never set on history
Published May 2nd 2017 by Hourly History

To ask other readers questions about Winston Churchill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winston Churchill

Start your review of Winston Churchill: A Life From Beginning to End
Sulie
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
This was a very good overview of Winston Churchill's life. His achievements, struggles, and failures, in many aspects, during his life of service. It shows how he was very forward in his thinking, often preparing for things other allies scoffed at and then saw them come to pass.. He had some outrageous opinions in some regards, particularly one about Ghandi, as his main priority was to hold on to the British empire at all costs, but there is no doubt he made some hard decisions and definitely le ...more
Jordan
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Winston Churchill: A Life From Beginning to End is a fantastic overview of Winston Churchill and his life's events and accomplishments. This really is a book that can be read in about an hour, which will result in knowing quite a bit more about Churchill than you might previously have known.

This book is not in-depth, so if you are looking for something with detailed insights into his life and the various things he was a part of, that is not what you will get. However, if you are merely looking
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
As someone who enjoys history and just fancied reading a quick book, this was a good choice. However, I felt disappointed by it.
As a book that is about the life of Winston Churchill, I felt like this lacked the discussion of Chuchill's actual personal life. This book focused on his achievements with WW2, but I wanted to know more about the man himself.
Most of us are aware of the achievements of this man and are in awe of them, but sometimes it is nice to read a quick book which would detail more
Jenelle Lopez
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very well written! Short, compact, to the point and very cohesive. Mostly about his military life. Very little about his early or personal life. Good to have a basic knowledge of WW2 history going into it. I loved it and so did my husband.
Andrey Michel Andrade
Inspiring life story .
Thom Swennes
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-e-book
“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.”
Sir Winston Churchill
If a man can be called bigger than life, that man must be Winston Churchill. He was born two months premature on November 30, 1874, in his ancestral home of Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England. One could glean that from birth, Churchill was impatient to get on with life. At the age of nineteen, he enrolled in the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst as a Cadet Officer. It took him three tries to pass the en
Raj Shekhar
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A quick and essential read

I liked this book for its brevity, carefully balanced with details. It introduced me to various nuances about the world after the "Great Wars". I had known little about Winston Churchill before this. This book did not portray him as a perfect man. In fact, it showed his imperfections and his strong will to overcome challenges including depression. I would recommend this book for those who like nonfiction and want to know more about the man who led the "Empire on which t
James Moffett
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short, Succinct and Interesting: I thoroughly enjoyed this short read and reminder of one of the world’s greatest statesmen. This series of books from Hourly History are meant to give a brief overview and in this they succeed admirably in painting a decent and interesting portrait of this British leader.
Known for his sharp wit and keen intelligence, Churchill used his vocabulary to win many an argument or convince a recalcitrant audience. His memorable quotes are still used and as applicable tod
Sergio
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Concise and Information

The approach to Winston Churchill provides concise and helpful information which allow for the reading to get a realistic view of the values and life of such an important person in human history without disconnecting the reader by means of using an adequate level in the language used which neither feels snobish nor does it feel too simplistic as to attempt to dumb down the info too much.

I am really appreciative of finding this book and the author's approach
Nancy
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, historical
This is another hourly History, a book that can be read in one hour. It's a quick overview of the Life of Winston Churchill. The biggest part of the history was on what Winston did during and after World War II. Churchill first used the term, "behind the iron curtain", during a talk in Missouri. He was criticized by many national leaders for his concern about what would happen to areas under control of the Soviets.

The book was a nice small look at Churchill.
Carolina Casas
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fair assessment of Churchill

This is a good introduction on Winston Churchill that covers all the important aspects of his career and his life without overloading the reader with too much information or using big words to make this look imposing; or, as is the case with many short introductions, over simplifies it.
The end result is an accurate and mostly objective account on one of England's best PMs and world's greatest leaders.
That being said, the reason why I give it four stars out of five
Balu
Winston Churchill: A life from Beginning to End is a book which has covered most of the important aspects from Churchill's life.. Many books have been written about Churchill, but this short narration clearly explains and gives a good scope and provides an even deeper understanding of the legendary politician. It deals with his plans, actions, failures and illness, overall it holds great information
Mike Briley
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
As all of this series of short biographies, this summary of such a full life leaves the reader wanting to know more details. The overall tone of the book is less triumphant than many other Churchillian biographies. Is it closer to the truth? I am not enough of a student of Churchill to judge but I am stimulated to learn more about his life which was pivotal in the history of the 20th century.
Julian Orozco, Jr.
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Old British Bulldog

I really enjoyed this book. Learned some new interesting facts about Sir Winston Churchill. With having a few resurgent projects on Churchill on television and the theatre, I became more curious about the man. This book helped feed that curiosity. Very good read.
Mark Laufenberg
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's difficult to try to cover everything in a one hour read about such an accomplished man including the aspects of his leadership in World War II, but I think that the book did a decent job of it. As far as covering his political life, it pointed out his successes, misjudgments, and also his unheeded warnings, especially of the communist agenda at the conclusion of World War II. Definitely worth reading if you're somewhat familiar with him, but would like to be filled in on more details of his ...more
Terri Gostola
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, history
This short biography covered a lot of ground. I had never heard before that he suffered from destabilizing mood disorders that led to self medicating, which included alcohol, barbiturates, and amphetamines. Considering all that, it is amazing what he accomplished. Quote: "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something sometime in your life." Winston Churchill
Kaushal shah
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting account of Sir Winston Churchill's life

The biography is interesting and written in a short and a crisp format. I would have liked to see some more details about his personal life. The details of his handling of one of its major colonies like India are missing. However, I would recommend all to read this book
Gary
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book.

I learned a lot that I did not know about Winston Churchill. I think that if Roosevelt had listened to him about the Soviets, the occupation of Berlin might never have taken place. Things could have been very different.
miss r j torr
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read

A good and yet brief history of his life. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this as it gives a little history about not only Churchill but the world around him at the time.
I would read more by this author.
Seb
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book from Hourly Histories.

I read some negative reviews before reading it but was happy to discover that whoever wrote them was talking out of their backside.

I loved it. Well done.
Rodrigo Silva
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Hourly Book

First time with this series of "Hourly History", a brief compilation of a very deep and charismatic figure, therefore no more than just enumeration of facts and some interesting details are found.

Not useful if you want something with more substance.
Dan Mingo
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick yet informative look into the life of Winston Churchill. It was meant to be a quick read so with that it was very good, but I did feel it was missing some things. Not sure what that may have been.
johnanimalantics.net, Margaret G Conlan
Super

What an absolutely fantastic read from beginning to end. I didn’t know a few facts about Winston however we the British people have to thank him for his resilience. Great recount. Love factual books. Thank you.
Debarati
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very succinctly Written

This biography of Winston Churchill takes us through every phase of the "British Bulldog" in a succinct manner. Quite lucidly and vividly described. Short and Good read.
Eileen Carter
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
History come alive

This book is well written and tells about the incredible life of Winston Churchill. Some facts are well known while others I was shocked to learn.
Bruce
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wisdom, history, biography
Great brief review of a great and inspiring man.
Alan Stevenson
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Solid summary

This quick read covers the basic elements of Churchill’s life. It focuses on WW2 and the Cold war but there is still references to his early life.
Adrian Pollock
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Engaging read.

The chapters were short and concise whilst thoroughly covering all major points of Churchill's career. A great bite sized history lesson.
gerald morson
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a man

Winston was very far sighted on the world must be th a greatest Britain thanks for a great read brilliant
Cyriaco Bernardino Duarte de Almeida Brandao Jr
The book tells the history of Churchill in a very superficial way, it’s good to have an overview but lacks more details.

• Napoleon: A Life From Beginning To End (One Hour History Military Generals Book 1)
  • Julius Caesar: A Life From Beginning to End (One Hour History Military Generals Book 4)
  • Abraham Lincoln: A Life From Beginning to End
  • Genghis Khan: A Life From Beginning To End (One Hour History Military Generals #3)
  • Vikings: A Concise History of the Vikings
  • Alexander The Great: A History From Beginning To End (One Hour History Military Generals #1)
  • Greek Mythology: A Concise Guide
  • Titanic: The Story About The Unsinkable Ship
  • Russian Revolution: A History From Beginning to End (October Revolution, Russian Civil War, Nicholas II, Bolshevik, 1917. Lenin) (One Hour History Revolution Book 3)
  • The Black Death: A History From Beginning to End
  • French Revolution: A History From Beginning to End (One Hour History Book 1)
  • American Civil War: A History From Beginning to End (Fort Sumter, Abraham Lincoln, Jefferson Davis, Confederacy, Emancipation Proclamation, Battle of Gettysburg)
  • Pirates: The Golden Age of Piracy: A History From Beginning to End (Buccaneer, Blackbeard, Grace o Malley, Henry Morgan)
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Concise Guide
  • World War 1: A History From Beginning to End
  • American History in 50 Events (History by Country Timeline #1)
  • Roman Britain: A History From Beginning to End
  • James Madison: A Life From Beginning to End
At Hourly History, we focus on publishing history books that are concise, straightforward and take no longer than one hour to read.

Receive our new eBooks for free every Friday.
Sign up at: www.hourlyhistory.com/free