Start by marking “147 Things: My User's Guide to the Universe, from Black Holes to Bellybuttons” as Want to Read:
147 Things: My User's Guide to the Universe, from Black Holes to Bellybuttons

147 Things: My User's Guide to the Universe, from Black Holes to Bellybuttons

From YouTube superstar, TV presenter, model and fact-obsessive oversharer Jim Chapman comes a hilarious user's guide to the universe. In 147 Things, Jim takes us on a whistle-stop tour of the best bits of everything, from the mind-blowing to the ridiculous. As with his videos, no subject is off-limits and he’ll lift the lid on his life and his relationships, sharing ...more
Published December 1st 2017 by Sidgwick Jackson

To ask other readers questions about 147 Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 147 Things

Start your review of 147 Things: My User's Guide to the Universe, from Black Holes to Bellybuttons
Oct 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
147 Things is a terrible book. To be fair to the author, I don't think I'm the target market, but having thought about it for a little while, I'm not entirely sure which demographic he's targeting. It seems too immature for the typical YA reader (the 'magical wonder of everything' is very primary school level), but the content is too adult in places (lots of references to his penis). I'm familiar with the author, as I watch YouTube videos created by his family, but I can't say I've spent a lot ...more
Dave
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Ah, Jim. Regularly appearing on the telly in our house due to my daughter’s love of watching Zoella and Alfie on YouTube, I found myself watching more when Jim was on. I do like Jim. He seems like a thoroughly nice chap, the kind of guy you would quite happily spend an hour chatting to in the pub over a beer. You’d probably end up talking about some of the things in his book.

I really enjoyed 147 Things. They’re a slightly odd, eclectic mix ranging from quantum physics, to life (and death), the
Claire Watson
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book by on of the biggest You Tube sensations is the moment...why not.

I read this book over a number of weeks. As it’s a book of 147 things, I found myself dipping in every couple of days. It’s witty, funny, informative and slightly heartbreaking in places too.

Thank you to NetGalley, Pan Macmillan and the author for the chance to review.
Angie
Oct 17, 2017 added it
Fantastic read with some thought provoking and some funny moments. Full of facts. Loved it. Written really well
Becky
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and interesting book! Jim explains all his points well & I now know some random facts!!
Hannah Harvey
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book was a bit hit and miss for me. On the whole, I liked it, but there were also a lot of parts which I found dull to read. Which, I suppose it only to be expected when it's a collection of random facts, some will inevitably be more interesting than others.
The parts I found most enjoyable were the stories which related directly to his life. The stories about sleep-talking and how he met his wife, were to me at least, way more interesting than the random stories thrown into the mix.
I found
Emily Ross
Thank you to the publishers for providing an ARC of this book through NetGalley.

This was interesting, in that it would probably help if I was going to a pub quiz and I liked the random mismatch of facts, but it wasn’t interesting enough to hold my attention for long, and I really struggled to read it.
Elena
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating =3.7 some of it was just a bit too much science for me.
Ellesse
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgallery
Let's start this by saying I don’t follow any YouTubers, put simply that requires time and I don’t have that commitment level to people; but an educational fact-filled fun book? Yes please! I’ll read that!

The book contains a rollercoaster of topics from jellyfish to death to pouring wax down a sink, the first irritation I had was the book didn’t flow well, I was reading about a really serious topic which I wasn’t eased to in only to shoot back to a light-hearted.

There are some personal stories
Sara Oxton
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
147 Things is a surprising five-star read. I will be honest I picked this up as I thought I would finally have something to talk to my husband about. (He’s a fan of the dude). I didn’t expect much, but it blew me away, don’t know if I will be watching the youtube but you never know. If it’s as funny and interesting as this, maybe I will have to check it out. It’s filled with funny anecdotes and facts that had me searching for more. Well done on a great read.
Ellen-Arwen Tristram
'147 Things: My User's Guide to the Universe, from Black Holes to Bellybuttons.' Sounds pretty wacky and out there, right? Pick up some interesting facts in a very easy read style book, or at the very least get some random and interesting trivia. Right? Right??

Well, I'm sorry, Jim, but your book just didn't do it for me. The balance of seriousness with sheer stupidity (the amount of times your penis was mentioned just wasn't funny, particularly when juxtaposed beside the story of how a major
Francesca
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved
I loved it! Made me giggle and cry , but also frown, too haha
Sammy Jackson
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really fun read filled with loads of interesting facts and laugh out loud moments.
Angela
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good thought provoking facts with a splash of humour. Unfortunately I found my mind wandering off a little bored in places.
Cheryl M-M
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
If I inherited anything from my father at all, because I damn sure didn’t get his maths genius gene, then it is a thirst for knowledge. I read a lot, and I acquire a lot of seemingly useless facts, tidbits or information.

You just never know when you’re going to need to know that penguins can jump up to three meters high or that it is illegal to hunt and kill camels in Arizona. Really? How many camels are there in Arizona that they need a law to protect them?

Essentially this is what 147 Things is
Lisa Bentley
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love stuff. I love facts. I love knowing things. It is this reason why 147 Things: My User’s Guide to the Universe, from Black Holes to Belly Buttons by Jim Chapman is the perfect book for me.

It is a culmination of a curious mind in book form. Jim Chapman has posed very serious life questions and answered them in a serious (and seriously hilarious) way.

I will admit that whilst I was enjoying 147 Things: My User’s Guide to the Universe, from Black Holes to Belly Buttons it wasn’t until I got to
Kathy
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
So many mixed thoughts about this book! When first picked up, I thought this would be 147 things about Jim himself, but it wound up being 147 things Jim knows (which I thought was a good twist). I'm not going to lie, he lost me at first because one of the first topics he started with was about how the sun will explode and kill us all. Nice and light. I personally hate thinking about that stuff and death in general, so it was a bit hard to keep going past page 20. However, in hindsight, I'm ...more
Kimmy Mcloughlin
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I absolutely loved this book. Anything with weird and fascinating facts is right up my street, I love learning about all this and passing on the information to family and friends, even if some of the facts are hilariously stupid, I just can't resist.

Get comfy and prepare to enter Jim's world of knowledge from the start of the universe to strange phobias. Facts and stories on zombies, why Jurassic Park is all lies, life (and death) and belly buttons.
There is something new and interesting to
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very intrigued to read Jim’s book, having followed his YouTube channel for a while. I was really impressed with the quality of the writing, and the amount of amusing anecdotes Jim shared. There were facts on a variety of different topics, admittedly some a lot more interesting than others; the great thing here however is that there’ll be something for everyone.

Jim came across so well in this book, as a really approachable and warm person with a lot to give. The only downside of the book
Zarina
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book jam-packed with weird and fascinating facts is very suitable for the colder season because when else will you have all the time in the world to properly hibernate with a read for hours on end and soak up knowledge from the start of the universe to strange phobias? YouTuber Jim Chapman has broken the content-creator mould with this very different and really wonderful non-fiction read that not only provides heaps of interesting tidbits but funny stories from his own life too; making it a ...more
Sam Young
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I expected a slightly different book. I am aware of Jim Chapman as a YouTuber and will admit I am more likely to find myself watching his vlogs when my daughter is catching up on all her subscriptions But, I was expecting something a little different. I judged Jim (wrongly) and thought I was going to read 147 absurd facts, so I sat back and expected a really easy, comical read. I didn’t get that, I got scientific facts and historical knowledge with a few anecdotes and jolly facts ...more
Eve beinguniquebooks
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Youtuber Jim is well known for his videos he creates or known due to his sisters or wife whom are also big YouTube stars themselves.

In this, his debut book, we know this is one hundred percent Jim from the first word as his questions surrounding many odd things in the world come to light. As well as being a storyteller at times letting us in on a few odd mishaps he's had happen to himself as well as sharing his views on subjects he discusses.

Topics brought up throughout include; Health, the
Molly Luck
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This isn't a normal fiction book, it's non fiction.
Jim Chapman is a blogger/youtuber, he has created a book with 147 random facts. I did enjoy this book as it's unusual to what I usually read but I found it very interesting to hear all the facts and things that you didn't know.
He also did include some things about his life like a biography but it was related to the fact he was telling you. It felt cosy as it was written as if he was talking to you rather than thinking about it too much and just
MetLineReader
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2017
Well I think I'm the wrong demographic for this book. The style was too erratic for me and felt as if we were travelling at the speed of light. As a he's a YouTube blogger, there's often a stream of consciousness - and that's how i felt whilst reading this book.

I persisted for as much as I could but couldn't finish. I think it would be a perfect book for my nephew and son but there's too many adult references.
That said, there's lots of funny anecdotes and Jim Chapman is very open and honest
Olivia Helen
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Jim is so likeable, funny and relatable. His vulnerability was matched by his humour, and his intelligence by good, engaging writing. There were some 'facts' that I was happy to skip through (because I have a different worldview, or simply wasn't interested), but on the whole, it was a fascinating, funny, interesting read. I feel like I know a lot more useless but wonderful information now.
Emily Guscott
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book and was great that it was written in small chunks so I could pick it up and put it down whenever I wanted. However, a lot of it was very scientific which meant that if I read it too much in one go, my brain would be fried! All in all though, a good book if you want to learn some new facts and hilariously funny in some places.
Alice-Claire
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, 2018-reads
I have watched Jim videos for a couple of years and I love them. I was basically guaranteed to like this book as Jim reminds me of my self. It is full of witty, random and interesting things. A very educational read. I listened to it on audiobook which is narrated by the author and I was fab.
Sophie
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a really fun book. I love reading fact books that make you think about different things in life. It was really well set out and funny to read. I love Jim's drive to find out about new things in detail. I hope there's another book from him soon!
Vanessa Carrie
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
For what this book is, a collection of interesting facts, it's pretty good. I'd never heard of the author, but he incorporates the facts into his personal story well. A good variety of facts too, I kept heading to Google to find out more about them, which is a good sign!

• Username: Uprising (Username, #3)
  • You Do You: How to Be Who You Are and Use What You've Got to Get What You Want
  • Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a Genius
  • Binge
  • Art as Therapy
  • The Boy Who Belonged to the Sea
  • Friendzone
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 2
  • Like the Flowing River
  • The Odyssey (All-Action Classics, #3)
  • Man and Boy (Harry Silver, #1)
  • Unthinkable: The Shocking Scandal of Britain's Trafficked Children
  • The Skeleton Cupboard: Stories From a Clinical Psychologist
  • Delight
  • By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept
  • One for My Baby
  • Harry Potter: The Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3)
  • Tanya's Christmas: Make, Bake and Celebrate