Start by marking “Second Impressions (Vintage Jane Austen)” as Want to Read:
Second Impressions (Vintage Jane Austen)

Second Impressions

(Vintage Jane Austen #6)

Jane Austen's stories have inspired writers for generations...in this collection they inspire fiction across the genres! From the English Regency to the American 1950s, in Houston or a space freighter, fairytale land or a retirement center...Austen's timeless characters come to life again.
Published April 28th 2017 by CreateSpace (first published April 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Second Impressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Impressions

Start your review of Second Impressions (Vintage Jane Austen)
Kelsey Bryant
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie-authors
The stories in this short story anthology are extremely diverse and yet they are all sweet and uplifting. I think Hannah Scheele had a brilliant idea when she decided to hold a contest to create a collection of short fiction inspired by Jane Austen's novels. Six authors have contributed nine stories, and I enjoyed every one of them! I'd pick a favorite, but as it was the one written by my mom, I'm afraid that would be considered favoritism...
As I said, the settings and situations and styles are
Bethany
WARNING: The following review will contain spoilers

SECOND IMPRESSIONS
Overall rating: 3.5 Stars
An overall delightful little collection of Jane Austen inspired short stories, ranging over all the different settings imaginable, from medieval castles in a faraway land of ‘once upon a time’; to present-day American cities with smart phones and cars. Although I enjoyed this collection on the whole, there were a few stories that I really, really didn’t like, or that I just felt didn’t work with Jane Au
Mikayla
I have looked forward to reading this book since they announced it, and since I am in the collection, it made it even cooler to read. I'm just going to give a short note on every story:

Chocolate Surprise. This was a cute Emma retelling, set in the 1950's. That is my favorite time period, so I really enjoyed reading this. It was cute, and I enjoyed how the characters were set up.

Gently Pursued, Finally Persuaded. This was a very unique retelling of Persuasion set in a modern retirement home. To
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
Age Appropriate For: 10 and up
Best for Ages: 10 and up

This collection is one of the best I have ever read. Normally, you read a collection of short stories and you end up loving one and either feeling apathetic or hating the rest. While I liked some more than others, all of these stories captured my interest.

Chocolate Surprise ~ This story got the whole thing off to an amazing start. The opening line sounds like the story is going to be off Pride and Prejudice, but you quickly realize it is more
Deborah O'Carroll
The moment I read the opening line of the first story in this collection (from "Chocolate Surprise" by E. Kaiser Writes) -- "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman, in possession of any income at all, must be in want of some chocolate." -- I knew I was going to have the best time reading these stories. I was right. ^_^

From the lovely introduction right through each of these nine tales to the end of the collection, I was touched and charmed and smiling (or laughing), and overa
Saphraneet
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I liked the variety in this collection of short stories. Several different genres, settings, and time periods were represented exhibiting the creativity of the authors. Yet within each story the inspiration of Jane Austen's timeless novels glowed. In some the glow was brightly evident, but in others it was more muted as if under a translucent shade.
Angie Thompson
As with any short story collection, there were some I loved and some I didn't care for. Individual reviews and ratings below. :)

Chocolate Surprise - 4 stars

Took me a little bit to pin this as an Emma retelling, but I was impressed at the way the key relationship/twist from the novel was condensed down to a short story while keeping most of the essential elements. The only thing I didn't really understand was how Heather's misunderstanding had come about. But the one line that explained Ida and t
Jess Swann
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Alors, déjà le concept : des réécritures/ suites très brèves des romans de Jane Austen (donc forcément l'intrigue ne se centre que sur un ou deux points des différents romans), le tout à des époques différentes ou contemporaines de Jane.

Comme toujours, je vais débriefer rapidement chacune des vignettes avant de donner un avis global

* Chocolate Surprise de E.Kaiser Writes : Une version de Emma... L'histoire se suit plaisamment et on retrouve les étapes importantes du roman. Bien entendu l'héroïne
Gabriella
May 16, 2017
Sep 01, 2018
Serethiel ☽ ✨
E. Writes
May 04, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Stargazer R. L.
Anna
Oct 13, 2017
Svetlana H.
Oct 24, 2017

Vintage Jane Austen (6 books)
  • Emmeline (Vintage Jane Austen)
  • Suit and Suitability (Vintage Jane Austen)
  • Bellevere House (Vintage Jane Austen)
  • Perception (Vintage Jane Austen)
  • Presumption and Partiality (Vintage Jane Austen, #5)