Start by marking “Balancing the Scales (Brits in Manhattan 1)” as Want to Read:
Balancing the Scales (Brits in Manhattan 1)

Balancing the Scales (Brits in Manhattan #1)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
“Carter's writing style is absolutely brilliant.” —The Romance Reviews

A Hotshot Manhattan Attorney.
Drew Harrington knows exactly who he is—a legal shark with a love ‘em and leave ‘em attitude that works just fine in his cutthroat world. He’s on the cusp of promotion to named partner, but only if he can prove to his colleagues that he has a more human side.

A Sweetheart of
Kindle Edition
Published November 21st 2017 by Kensington Publishing, Lyrical Caress

To ask other readers questions about Balancing the Scales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balancing the Scales

Steph McVicker
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 pond crossing stars for BALANCING THE SCALES!

The infamous Manhattan lawyer Drew Harrington has it all: a killer career, his pick of gorgeous NYC women and a generally kick ass life. So he doesn't expect the sucker punch that a 5ft nothing British blonde packs when she takes him on with food and ‘tude. Drew can't stop thinking about the beautiful spitfire whose desserts have him dreaming of all the places he'd love to eat them off of her. Rebecca Fletcher just got out of a controlling relations
LJT
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!

I love the corporate environment and the politicking involved when working one's way to the top of the partnership ladder. I also love desserts and how their goodness has the ability to bridge the communication gap between two opposites. After reading the book blurb and some of the reviews about this novel, I knew I had to experience Balancing the Scales for myself. This story was quite meaningful and passionate, while keeping me on the edge of my seat for most of the narrative. Laura
Terri
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Review also found at https://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/...

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you!

When I started the book it was written from Drew's perspective and I thought it would go back and forth between Drew's point of view and Becky's.  This was not the case.  The majority of the story is told from Drew's perspective and the reader only gets snippets of Becky's story as the plot unfolds.  I really enjoyed t
Sophie
Shelves: november-2017
WOW! What a way to kick off this series! Laura Carter has once again delivered a fantastic story with amazing characters. I loved this book.

Drew & Becky are loveable and infectious. From the very beginning there is an instant pull between these two charismatic characters. Tension sizzles and pops louder and stronger than rice krispies.

Drew made me swoon. He's so, so perfect. So DAMN sexy. And swoony AF! He was also surprising. His intensity and pure alpha male goodness rocked my world!
Bec
Elle Brooks
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first instalment of Laura Carter’s Brits in Manhattan series is every bit as fabulous as I hoped it would be.

Carter’s writing is nothing short of flawless, and the sweet, sexy, and easy reading nature of Drew & Becky’s story leaves you in eager anticipation for more.

This book has everything. The characters are both loveable and relatable, and I can’t recommend it highly enough.
Jeanette Book-Reviews
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 4-5-star
***4.5 Stars!***

Review to follow..
Marina (Living In Our Own Story)
This is my first Laura Carter book and in the beginning I wasn't sure whether I am up for reading it as I wasn't in the mood for a romantic comedy. But a friend of mine raved about it so much that I decided to check it out. And I am so happy I did. And yes, this is a romantic comedy but it is also so much more than that. It is a story of strength, survival, determination and a beautiful romantic love that will capture your heart and will stay in it forever.

Drew and Becky are two great characters
Claire Cronin
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous read by Laura Carter, this is the first book in the Brits in Manhattan series, and after this one I can't wait for the rest!

This is a very different read from Laura's other books which were more dark and edgy, this is lighter and fun, sweet, sexy and emotionally charged - I loved it and I think she's done a stunning job with this! Written mostly from Drew's POV with the odd few chapters told from Becky's which tend to go back in time to give you insight into just what she's been
Caroline F
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, I went to bed at 10pm and thought I'd have a little read. Oh, what a mistake! I couldn't put this book down!

"God, she gets more attractive every time I see her. She's the devil. The actual, distraction-I-don't-need, godforsaken devil."

Drew is a brilliant lawyer and a prime contender for partner. He's solely focused on his career and doesn't have time for relationships, but has no shortage of partners for casual flings. He's aggressive, super confident, and has no time for fools or distractio
Layla Sian Rathbone
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is book 1 in the Brits in Manhattan series, and what a fabulous first instalment it is!!!

Drew and Becky cross paths while waiting in line for Their morning bagel, and this story follows them as they both try to find their feet in the friend zone when really they want to be anything but. They both carry a huge amount of emotional baggage and find it hard to overcome, but gradually through their friendship blossoms something much more profound.

WOW. This. Book. I’m a massive fan of Laura’s s
Sarah Dale
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first book from Laura Carter and I simply adored her style of writing and will be reading her books again.

If this is the start to a new Series Brits In Manhatten I am so looking forward to seeing what happens next with this series! phenomenal start!

If you love a book that's light, fun, sweet, sexy and has brilliant characters you fall in love with and swoon over then this is the book for you. What I liked most is that most chapters were written from Drew's POV with only a few from B
Katy Kitchin
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 SEXY STARS

I have been so excited and anticipating this novel for AGES and it’s finally here! And what a story it is too, absolutely worth the wait.

Becky is beautiful inside and out, she’s feisty, independent, but heartbreakingly lonely and carrying so much pain from her life before coming to New York that my heart was physically agonising over it. The way Laura Carter manages to weave such strong emotions into her stories is one of the things I always love about her books.

Drew, oh wow wha
Tracy W (Tracy&HelensRomanceBlog)
This book is everything!!

I honestly loved this story...Laura Carter is a new author to me and was recommended by a friend and I am honestly so happy I decided to give it a go...

I really really enjoyed Drew and Becky’s story....I just fell in love with Becky and wanted to know everything about her and her past, I wanted to just jump into the book and hold her and tell her she can love...Drew what is there not to love about him, he just warms your heart and makes you feel so much....

This is a gen
Jill S (Love Affair With Fiction)
OMG there just wasn't anything about Balancing the Scales that I didn't just love. That I didn't want to just eat up like a bagel & lox. I started this book and never once put it down… it reads like a light romantic comedy but really has deeper undertones to it. It is so well written and the comedy and banter is so well done that it just flows perfectly. I never wanted this story to end. I loved their chemistry. I loved the sweet and sexy tone of the book. And I can not wait to see what else ...more
Rhonda
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well-written romantic comedy

Laura Carter did a great job, with this the first book in the Brits in Manhattan series.
I loved how Becky and Drew met. I liked that their relationship started out as a friendship, with an underlying layer of lust that eventually turns to love. The plot had me turning the pages and I finished the book in one setting. I also found Drew's family and friends interesting secondary characters and I look forward to reading more about them in future books.

I received an Advan
Heather Packer
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn’t love a billionaire romance, except I’m not sure he’s quite a billionaire yet. Either way, it’s pretty damn sweet.

Can the bubbly Brit tame the wild and wonderful bachelor Drew Harrington? Or will the past catch up and bite them in the ass?

A fantastic mix of fun and flirty, hot and dirty with some serious deep sections. Life is a rollercoaster, you’ve just gotto ride it. And that about sums it up! Really looking forward to seeing who else might cone up in the series – particularity Br
Kerry Harper
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Makes me want to hop on a plane and find my own Drew

This is the first instalment of Laura Carter's Brits in Manhattan series and I couldn't put it down. I very quickly fell in love with Drew and Becky's story, which was a sweet, sexy, emotional journey filled with laughter and self discovery. As much as i wanted to see how their story ended, i also didn't want to finish, so that I could stay in Manhattan with them. I will be impatiently waiting for Brooks' story. I love Laura's style of writing,
poppy
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by Laura and it won't be my last.This is Drew and Becky's books she is a pastry chef and he is a hotshot lawyer to begin with I did not really like Drew he was so up himself but as the book progressed he did grow on me, these two meet at a bagel cart and he is immediately drawn to her and shows up at her work trying to charm her, not wanting a relationship they agree to be friends, this was a great start to the series and I really enjoyed it.
Manuela Rathaus-Alper
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A story of self discovery.
Of what could be out there.
Something that most of us will be too scared to go after.
Be swept by the storm that is the story of Drew & Becky.
He thought he had everything he ever wanted and was happy to give up anything more that might be a distraction. That is until he found something worth been distracted by.
She ran across an ocean to find her inner strength, to spread her wings and sore to the sky.
The perfect sweet distraction.

Yummy yummy yummy.
Rachel Humphries
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant start to a new series! A cracking storyline with some absolutely relatable, loveable characters make this book a big hit in my eyes. There is office politics, chemistry that leaps off the page & a whole rollercoaster of other emotions that kept me gripped from beginning to end.

Can't wait to read the next book
Louise Roach
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book 1 in the Brits in Manhattan series and Laura Carter does it again. An author that always delivers a fun and enjoyable read, full of the twists and turns, plus plenty of heat and love! A great mix and this story had it all.

Becky and Drew were a brilliant couple, and they were perfect for one another. From the moment they first met, to their subsequent meetings and developing friendship. Some fantastic witty banter, sexual chemistry and laughs galore.

The storyline flows perfectly and the wri
Lena Claesson
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book that I want to be transfered to the movie screen.
The story was good, the characters well described - so well that they felt like friends. There were a lot of drama, mostly calm drama that goes well on the screen and a lot of laugh.
I’m looking forward to the next book.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
Kia Bunby
Holy Moly!!!
I really loved this book!!! It is part 1 of the Brits in Manhattan series and if this book is anything to go by I look forward to reading the rest!
I absolutely loved the chemistry between Drew and Becky and I am really pleased I have read their story.
Meaghan
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Highly enjoyable, fun and flirty romance. Very satisfying story. Looking forward to more.
Brianna
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read with lovable characters.. can't wait to read the next one!
Carrie
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this book from Goodreads Giveaways. Thank you.
Nicole Collins
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brit turned yankee

Love the brit and Yankee attitude. The twist in the story was an interesting twist. I love the chemistry and how the couple completes each other. Also, how welcoming his family is to her.
Francoise
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story! Laura Carter has written a fun, enjoyable contemporary romance with great dynamics between the main characters. Drew Harrington is the King of the Courtroom. He is every inch a lawyer, and lives and breathes his job. He is an arrogant and ambitious workaholic with a stellar career, as senior partner of one of the top law firms in New York. His work keeps him extremely busy with no time for a social life. He is very loyal to the people he cares about but he doesn’t do frie ...more
Bookgyrl
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
My first book of this author and I quite liked it. But I did not love it.

Drew and Becky, the main characters, meet in Manhattan. There is this part where Drew is mad at Becky (after they sleep together) because she let him oversleep and he almost lost an important client. Really?!
The reveil about Becky's past was not that impressive and I did think she should have told him.
Overall I enjoyed the story and will read Laura Carter again.

I requested and received an ARC via Netgalley. This is my ho
Laura Carter
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
With the book finalised and the cover reveal coming in just a matter of days, I figure now is a good time to write my author review of BALANCING THE SCALES. My previous books have been dark, angsty and very sexy. When I set out writing BALANCING THE SCALES, I wanted to write something that was lighter and more fun, much like the classic romcoms and chick flicks we all love to read and watch. Drew and Becky are two of my favourite characters to date. Unlike my previous alpha heroes, Drew does not ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Laura Carter is the bestselling author of the Vengeful Love series. She writes from her beach home in the Caribbean where she lives with her husband and (gorgeous) dog. She loves all things romance, including paper hearts, flowers, chocolates and champagne (not necessarily in that order). If she isn't writing or hanging around on social media, you can probably find her watching a romcom with a tub ...more
More about Laura Carter...

Brits in Manhattan (3 books)
  • Playing to Win (Brits in Manhattan)
  • Hedging His Bets (Brits in Manhattan)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)
  • Dancing in the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Never Marry a Viscount (Scandal at the House of Russell, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Secrets (The Sinclairs #6)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Extreme Measures (Aegis Security, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)