Start by marking “The Mother Goose Treasury” as Want to Read:
The Mother Goose Treasury

The Mother Goose Treasury

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Published September 30th 1966 by Hamish Hamilton Ltd (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Mother Goose Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mother Goose Treasury

Nicola
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.

This was a great find. We've read lots of poetry collections and really liked the range in this one. Its been very popular with her!
Christina Leone
Briggs, Raymond (1966). This book contains a collection of 408 rhymes and 897 illustrations. This collection contains several rhymes per page. Each rhyme has its own illustration(s). The pages alternate from pen and ink illustrations, and then turn the page to colorful illustrations, turn the page to pen and ink illustrations. Each illustration is integrated with the text. For example, "Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair; Says Simple Simon to the pieman, Let me taste your ware." A color ...more
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Have vague recollections of nursery rhymes from your childhood - but certainly can't remember the words? Well this book will take you part of the way there - it'll at least give you the words. Unfortunately you'll have to head to the web to find the tune to go with it!

The illustrations in this 1966 version of Mother Goose by Raymond Briggs are, as you would expect, a highlight.

Like all oral traditions there are certainly minor differences between some of the nursery rhymes I learnt as a child in
Nicole
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My personal reaction to the book was that it was a classic. For example Little Miss Muffett was one.

The purpose of the book would be for read aloud for curriculum reasons. This would be a good read for K-1. I would introduce the idea of poetry with this book. This book is full of nursery rhymes and i would emphasize on the lyrical sections and how they are natural rhymes. The illustrations correspond perfectly with the text and enhance the meaning. Even though the books illustrations are older,
Ann
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a Christmas gift, the year I was two. It's not a book I'll ever "finish," because I'll keep dipping back into it for the rest of my life.

The 408 rhymes were reproduced from the work by renowned British folklorists Peter and Iona Opie, and include many that are not found in other collections, and which, I am certain, first inspired me to be a writer.

Raymond Briggs' illustrations create a wonderful artistic balance across each two page spread, and vary in style from rich,
Robin
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After attending Betsy Diamant-Cohen's "Mother Goose on the Loose" which teaches librarians how to better integrate songs and rhymes into a story program for the babies, I continue to be interested in reading over these wonderful rhymes. This book is quickly becoming my favorite because I love Raymond Birggs' artwork and the way he presented these traditional rhymes that so many of us know and love.
Siskiyou-Suzy
A hearty collection of nursery rhymes, many, many of which I had never seen before, which is impressive at this point! Reading these also made it clear how many nursery rhymes deal with harming, abusing or otherwise mistreated women. Then there's the nursery rhyme that rhyme "slut" with "dirt," so, y'know, not a collection I'd actually share with children.

The illustrations actually weren't my thing for the most part., but I like the expansiveness of the collection.
Beverly
Oct 05, 2017
Kate
Aug 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Raymond Redvers Briggs is an English illustrator, cartoonist, graphic novelist, and author who has achieved critical and popular success among adults and children. He is best known for his story "The Snowman", which is shown every Christmas on British television in cartoon form and on the stage as a musical.

His first three major works, Father Christmas, Father Christmas Goes on Holiday (both featu
More about Raymond Briggs...