Start by marking “The Heart Collector” as Want to Read:

The Heart Collector

(The Sin Eater’s Daughter)

A selection of three companion stories to the Sin Eater's Daughter series. When rats invade golden Tallith, the king summons a rat catcher from across the seas. But the rat catcher brings with him more than just his trade; a beautiful daughter who will bow to no man. And when Prince Aurek decides he wants her, he triggers a chain of events that will reshape the world for c ...more
Published May 4th 2017 by Scholastic Fiction

Hollis
Weirdly I liked best the short story that was the least directly related to The Sin Eater's Daughter series. But all were very well written and it was nice to end on a less emotionally-charged note by wrapping up with this compilation.

I am very much looking forward to whatever is next from this author.

KING OF RATS - 2.5 "god Aurek is just one big giant dick" stars
THE HEART COLLECTOR - 3 "the Bringer broke my heart" stars
MULLY NO-HANDS - 3.5 "I adore flipped fairytales like this" stars

overall, 3
Eeva
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5

This book is a collection of three short stories, one ok, one pointless and one pretty good.

The King of Rats
This story should be called "The boggest dickhead in the kingdom". It basically shows us the story how Aurek became The Sleeping Prince. It's a pretty ok story and I enjoyed it.

The Heart Collector
It was actually a pretty ok story until Dimia told The Bringer, the man that was literally bringing her to be killed, that she doesn't want to die without being kissed. It made m
Stacy Kersteter
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
It was ok

I enjoyed learning more about Aurek and how he came to be the sleeping prince, but the other two novellas just dragged on half the time and rushed through the other half.
Reda
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-reads, fantasy
The Heart collector had some stories connected to the main trilogy. The best one was about the Bringer, how he's lost in time and has to do fathers biding...
Story about sleeping Prince was ok, explained some backstory but wasn't necessary...
Last one I just finished cause since it was just few pages till the book ends...
Jamie Coudeville
There were 3 stories in here but I'd already read the first (Rat king) so I'll just talk about the other 2. The heart collector was interesting, I'd already forgotten most of book 1 so I had to think for a moment. The other story was a bit weird. I couldn't figure out how it fits into this world. But overall nice additions to the series.
Charlotte Burns
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Melinda Salisbury broke my heart. Well, what was left of it after I finished The Sin Eater's Daughter trilogy.

When Melinda announced on Twitter that she was releasing The Heart Collector (short stories linked to the trilogy), I, along with every other fan, squealed incomprehensibly and immediately pre-ordered it. It did not disappoint.

There are three stories in the collection:

• The King of Rats - telling the tale of the rats arrival in Tallith and the curse of the Sleeping Prince.

• The Heart Col
Sifa Poulton
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE KING OF RATS elaborates on Aurek's backstory - the arrival of the rats and then the rat catcher and his family. There's nothing new in the story, the basics familiar from THE SIN EATER'S DAUGHTER, but it's interesting to see the story a little more hashed out and more detail given to Aurelia.

No one comes out well in this story, except maybe Aurelia and the rat catcher's daughter, who are treated more like inconsequential pawn. The king and rat catcher are greedy, and Aurek cares only for sed
Beth
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this little novella. The Sin Eaters Daughter trilogy is one of my all time favourite series It is just a such a brilliant story and it is so underrated. So naturally, because I love it so much, I want more of it. I would love a spin series or a prequel or anything. I love the universe. And this little novella bind up has really made me want that even more. To see these little tales from the universe, I just want more. It was so nice to see more of the world, and to uncover more of the sto ...more
Adrianne Rutherford
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I could honestly read anything that Mel writes and part of me hopes that she would make a collection of fairy tale type stories like these. Getting into the backstory of Aurek after what happened in The King of Rats left me speechless and the ending left my mouth gaping open, I'm still reeling from what happened. Beautiful and vivid descriptions as always (the food will make you hungry) and it also left me feeling sad for what could of been with The Bringer if he did not have to walk this path. ...more
Andrew
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
3.5 stars. Review from The Pewter Wolf

The Heart Collector is a collection of three short stories set in the The Sin Eater’s Daughter world. We have two that have been released on the Waterstones's website for a limited amount of time - The King of Rats and The Heart Collector - and a third being published for the first time in this collection - Mully No-Hands.

All are prequel stories and you don't need to have read these to enjoy the trilogy. I want to make this clear before I go any further, exp
Christeen
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent companion stories to "The Sin Eater's Daughter", and can easily be read while reading the other books without spoilers. Loved that I got to delve into this world again through these stories.
Steph
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not normally a fan of short stories, but anything Melinda Salisbury writes has a place in my heart. Absolutely loved The Heart Collector and The King of Rats. Mully No-Hands has a great message too! I am going to miss these lands so much.
Pili
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
After absolutely adoring the whole trilogy I found out that this collection of short stories was available and run to grab it! It has the stories referenced to in the trilogy as fairy tales that happened to be true, so it was a joy to read them finally! Creepy and amazing, just like the books!
Lisa
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-done
This bundle of books was pretty good. I liked the first story and the last story but they were all good.
Tracys
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
A trio of mini tales which flesh out the world Melinda has created, giving background and depth, and a cautionary tale. A nice companion to the main series
Nastassja
Enter your review (optional)
Lucrezia Palù
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
The King of Rats 5 ☆
The Heart Collector 3 ☆
Mully No-Hands 2 ☆

Mari
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't quite like the first book of The Sin's Eater Daughter , but after reading this one , I really want to finish the whole series , even though only the first one had launch in Brazil !
Alex
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really wanted this to be about The Sin Eater's backstory, or maybe a 5 years later sort of deal, or about Twyllas twin brothers. Didn't involve any of that. Still liked it. Want mooooore.
Claire Knight
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I felt so bad for Dima and the bringer
Sabrina
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just what I needed to ease me into life after The Sin Eater's Daughter trilogy...
Charlotte
Elvira
Jan 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Per-Bast: A Tale of Cats in Ancient Egypt
  • Cookies, Curses, and Kisses (Blue Moon Bay, #1)
  • Of Blood and Magic
  • Booke of the Hidden (Booke of the Hidden #1)
  • A Fistful of Fire (A Madison Fox, #2)
  • Blue Bottle Tree
  • Buffy: The High School Years - Parental Parasite (Buffy: The High School Years, #3)
  • White Heart (Merrydian's Gate, #1)
  • Wishbone
  • The Red Queen (Wonderland University #1)
  • Witches in Wonderland (Wicked in Moonhaven #3)
  • Wicked Wonderland (The Looking-Glass Curse #1)
  • Damned Either Way (The Harker Trilogy #3)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Clouded by Envy
  • Winterdream
  • PERfunctory AfFECTION
  • Sorcery and Sin: The Complete Trilogy
Melinda Salisbury lives by the sea, somewhere in the south of England. As a child she genuinely thought Roald Dahl’s Matilda was her biography, in part helped by her grandfather often mistakenly calling her Matilda, and the local library having a pretty cavalier attitude to the books she borrowed. Sadly she never manifested telekinetic powers. She likes to travel, and have adventures. She also lik ...more

The Sin Eater’s Daughter (3 books)
  • The Sin Eater’s Daughter (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #1)
  • The Sleeping Prince (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #2)
  • The Scarecrow Queen (The Sin Eater’s Daughter, #3)