Start by marking “Kindred Spirits” as Want to Read:
Kindred Spirits

Kindred Spirits

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  16,012 ratings  ·  3,423 reviews
A short story about waiting and believing — but mostly waiting — by the New York Times bestselling author of Eleanor & Park, Fangirl and Carry On. All proceeds go to the ACLU Foundation.

When Elena decided to camp out for the next Star Wars movie, she was expecting a celebration, a communion — a line full of people who love Star Wars so much, they have to share it.

Sh
Published May 2nd 2017 by Roadswell Editions (first published February 25th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Kindred Spirits, please sign up.
Amelia Yeah. And are we still able to get Kindred Spirits? Either way, my Reading class is celebrating at my school because I told my teacher about it and…moreYeah. And are we still able to get Kindred Spirits? Either way, my Reading class is celebrating at my school because I told my teacher about it and she was like, "We should do something."(less)

·  16,012 ratings  ·  3,423 reviews

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Leaving this story the same way I leave all of Rainbow Rowell's books. I WANT MORE.
Lola
‘‘Everybody likes Star Wars,’’ he said. ‘‘Everybody likes everything these days. The whole world is a nerd.’’
‘‘Are you mad because other people like Star Wars? Are you mad because people like me like Star Wars?’’
Gabe glowered at her. ‘‘Maybe.’’

Kindred Spirits is a – very – short story written by the imaginative Rainbow Rowell for the World Book Day, which took place on March 3rd.

Would you look at that, I missed it.

This TEASER illustrates how people can go to great lengths for things they bel
Nat
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
However Elena changed or grew, Star Wars seemed to be there for her in a new way.

description

Just when I thought Rainbow Rowell couldn’t get any better, she releases a new story.
Her books are magical. Rainbow is magic. She has this incredible way of drawing the reader into the story and once inside it— never being able to let go (the best feeling!!). I constantly think about her characters. They’re always somewhere in my head. And I love it.
I love knowing that no matter what state of mind I’m in, I can alwa
Darth J
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
(Alright. I've been in a GR slump for a while so I'm going to just post this review now instead of a while ago when I finished it.)

I was excited to read a new Rowell story, especially one having to do with Star Wars, but this fell quite flat. I didn't like any of the characters and most of all, this just didn't have that same Rowell essence her other stories did. It just seemed lazy and lacked her normal charm. I know this was supposedly free or whatever, but even Poe Dameron is disappointed in
Polly
After Reading: Rainbow Rowell's stories, no matter how short, never fail to put a smile on my face. This is just what I thought it would be - entertaining and completely adorable.

Before Reading: This is so exciting!!
In the UK on World Book Day a load of authors bring out short stories or novellas etc for children/YA for only £1! Or free for school children. It used to be my favourite day at school. Just wanted to let people outside the UK know what it is!
Taneika
That was so quick and super adorable! Considering it was a mere 62 pages long, I feel like Elena's character development was great! The writing was easy and pleasant to read too and overall it was a cute, fun, enjoyable read :)
Aj the Ravenous Reader
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Nicay │The Nerdy side of a Queen

Star Wars fan or not, this is such a cute read! It’s a short story that everyone who is helplessly passionate about something will be able to relate to. Rainbow Rowell sure knows how to bring her words to life. Recommended to my kindred spirits!^^<3

Do check out Nicay's review too.

P.S. Happy early birthday, Nicay. I might be too busy tomorrow so I'm posting this now. I wish you all the best and I hope your special day be extra special. <3
Whitney Atkinson
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, novella
This was aight. Since it said "for older readers" I expected I wasn't going to like it since I wasn't a huge fan of Landline or Attachments, but I was thoroughly surprised that it was actually really cute (and about high schoolers!) I'm not the hugest fan of contemporary short stories, because I like things that pack a punch or have a twist or some sort of psychological moral. This was just a dainty and lighthearted story, which was fun and quick, but had no real purpose or driving moral or rele ...more
Mara
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but super cute. Rainbow Rowell writing about Star Wars can't be anything other than perfection. I wish this were an entire book, not just a short story.
Pearl Angeli
4 Stars!

This short story is Fangirl junior. So cute and irresistible and I loved it!

Elena is a Star Wars obsessed. When another sequel of the film series was about to hit the theater, she camped out for four days prior to the show and eventually met guys, Gabe and Troy, who are also Star Wars fanatics.

I loved the fun moments that happened here. Even the witty and nerdy banters shared by Gabe and Elena. They just clicked with every part of me! These characters are very interesting and adorable an
Carol
Elena desperately wants a memorable STAR WARS experience. She's 18 (looks 12) and is a true believer. So, four days prior to the opening of the new STAR WARS movie, to her mother's chagrin, Elena decides to camp out in front of the theatre and wait in line with all the other STAR WARS geek types, but wait......there is no line, only two other fans of the male persuasian.

What happens in line and during the movie turns out to be quite the memorable experience for Elena in the end, but not what she

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Cute cute CUTE. I hope we see Elena and Gabe again somewhere in future Rainbow books, I'd love to see how they're doing post TFA. This was just adorable. Loved it.
Matthew
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, own, general-fiction
A little weird to be reviewing this one the day Carrie Fisher passed away. In fact, I was probably reading the final pages as the news broke.

This is a story about Star Wars fans waiting in line to see The Force Awakens on opening day. There is talk of Princess Leia and waiting in line back in the day for Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. A fun story for a sad day.

The force is strong with this one!

Despite being a glorified short story (or maybe a novella??? Not sure if there are specifi
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

Kindred Spirits is straight up adorable! Essentially a love letter to Star Wars, it is done in true Rainbow Rowell fashion: slightly awkward characters and snappy dialogue.

At just 62 pages, there’s a surprising amount of character development. I got to know Elena inside and out, but not once did I feel like I was being pelted with character facts; it was gradual and natural.

Even if you aren’t a Star Wars fan, I highly recommend picking
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
I'm really glad I happened to be visiting the UK during World Book Day so I could get my hands on this. It was a super cute little story. I prefer her short story in 'My True Love Gave to Me' much more though. But if you like Rainbow Rowell and you like Star Wars, you won't want to miss it!
Jillian
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok so my nerdy little heart loved this but there just wasn't enough. it made me feel nostalgic and warm and fuzzy. and normally i'm for rainbow's open ended endings...but this is something i need more of. just like her short story from my true love gave to me i feel sort of cheated....even though i did love it. LIKE ALOT.
Larry H
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Elena couldn't remember the first time she saw a Star Wars movie...in the same way she couldn't remember the first time she saw her parents. Star Wars had just always been there. There was a stuffed Chewbacca in her crib."

Elena grew up watching the original Star Wars trilogy, as the movies were her dad's favorite. He loved them so much that he made her promise never to see the prequels, because it would corrupt her enjoyment of the movies. But while she loved the films because they made her fee
Alaina
Kindred Spirits was a cute little book. I feel like I flew through it. The MC, Elena, is obsessed with Stars Wars. So what does she do when a new movie is coming out? Well she decides to wait in line (I think for a week?) outside the movie theater. She wants to be the first one there, get a great seat, and enjoy the amazing movie she's been dreaming about.

Unfortunately, things don't go her way. She had high expectations about this whole sitting outside the theater. She thought there would be a
Jaclyn
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS THE CUTEST!!!! It's literally about these three people who wait in line for days to see Star Wars. As a Star Wars fan, I totally related. As somebody who has camped out and waited on multiple lines, I completely related. I just wished it was longer!!! It was absolutely adorable and hysterical. So many moments where I was cracking up. This entire story put a huge smile on my face the entire time I read it and I couldn't get enough of it. It's SUPER short and extremely easy and fun to read ...more
Norah Una Sumner

Awww, this was really cute. The story is close to my heart definitely. And that ending is hilarious! However, the fact that I've read the excerpt from another book at the end of this edition without even realizing that it isn't the same story tells you how much I was captivated by it.

description
Vitor Martins
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, ebook
Que gracinha essa conto. Um casal adorkable, diálogos lindinhos e um final que deixa com vontade de "quero mais" (aliás, quero).
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
I couldn't sleep, so I decided to start this, and read it all in one go, and now it's 1:30am haha

It's been so long since I read anything Rainbow, and I forgot how much I enjoyed her writing. This short story was pretty cute and nice, and tbh I would've loved for it to be longer aha
Jojo (The Reading Bee)
What is this?!
" A World Book Day UK book." !!!!!!!!!
I don't know and I don't understand, but IT'S RAINBOW ROWELL SO I'LL READ IT!
////////////

I absolutely loved this!! I am not a Star Wars fan, I only know "May the Force be with you" reference, other than that, NOTHING! But, I enjoyed this so much, Elena's passion, and these cute characters that Rainbow create and you can ALWAYS relate to!!!! I MISS HER BOOKS, I NEED THEM IN MY LIFE!!!!!!

/////////////

Second reread:
STILL AS GOOD AS I REMEMBE
madamescozycorner
Very short and very cute read!
Angela
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Rainbow Rowell's new tiny book, rocking just around 100 pages. Even though it is one of her shortest, it's also the highest I've ever rated one of her books. This makes me terribly sad because I wish it would have been longer.

Elena loves Star Wars, so when the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens is set to release soon she knows she's going to camp out days in advance to get the full experience. When she arrives to wait in line days early she didn't expect to be one of only three people wai
Kindred Spirits is a nerdy, sweet, and very YA short story that most everyone will be able to relate too. If might help if you like Star Wars or can at least appreciate the collective community of it all, but it's not necessary. It's about the disappointment of expectations, the loyalty of fandom, unexpected friendships, and making the best out of a situation. It was really cute and it was reported that all proceeds go to the ACLU Foundation. Check it out!

My favorite quote:
“Did the prequels corr
Rachael ( RachaelRexds )
really cute short story about 3 fans of Star Wars! :) definitely recommend if you love Stars Wars / Rainbow Rowell ( or both HAHA )
Stacey (prettybooks)
Elena has loved Star Wars since she was a child. Her friends aren't super fans, but she is determined to join the cinema queue and count down the days until Star Wars: The Force Awakens is released. She's expecting hundreds of fans – it's the biggest movie of the year after all – but she only meets Troy and Gabe. Kindred Spirits is a delightful story about new friendship and fandom. It has many fun moments – from Elena desperately needing to pee (Gabe to the rescue!) to being quizzed on her favo ...more
Victor Almeida
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, tenho
Retiro aqui todo meu preconceito contra Rainbow Rowell. Que história mais AMOR! Tava tão dentro que nem percebi passar. Os personagens são divertidos, o clima todo é bem humorado, você compra a história rapidinho, e... ARGH, quero mais. Meio que imaginei que o conto ia acabar da forma como acabou, mas cê liga? Eu não ligo.

P.S.: pontos extras por citar "Mean Girls", hahaha!
Erratic Bookworms: Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell 1 4 Oct 08, 2017 04:40PM
United Book Nerds: May book of the month: Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell 12 14 Jun 04, 2016 11:23AM
The Bookish Bookclub: Book for April 1 2 Jun 01, 2016 02:58PM
Elena and Gabe 8 48 May 11, 2016 11:43AM
  • Spot the Difference
  • Other Worlds
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Killing the Dead
  • ...And a Happy New Year? (The Spinster Club, #3.5)
  • The Girl & the Machine
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • Always Joey
  • The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1.5)
  • Acting Friends (Flynn, #0.5)
  • The Fall Boys and Dizzy in Paradise
  • The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet
  • Resurrection Bay
  • Rules for 50/50 Chances
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories
  • Lightspeed Magazine, November 2013
Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about things that
“And the thing about nerd culture being mainstream culture now means that there's no place to just be a nerd among other nerds - without being reminded that you're the nerd.” 45 likes
“If you broke Elena's heart, Star Wars would spill out. This was a holy day for her -- it was a cosmic event. This was her planets lining up. (Tatooine, Coruscant, Hoth.)” 28 likes