Start by marking “The Dark Interest (The Dark Choir #4)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Interest (The Dark Choir #4)

The Dark Interest

(The Dark Choir #4)

Surrounded by evil on every side, Dorian Lake is about to face his most personal challenge yet…

A wave of dark voudon magic is rolling into Baltimore. With new rivals on every street corner and hidden enemies out for blood, hex peddler Dorian Lake is doing his best to keep his head above water. All he wants is a chance to reclaim his soul, but an unseen adversary is driving
Published August 22nd 2017 by Curiosity Quills Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Interest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Interest

Carly
~2.5

I've been procrastinating on this review for months, to the point that I've even been avoiding all of Goodreads. No matter how it looks, I don't enjoy writing negative reviews, particularly of series that I previously enjoyed. I really wanted to like The Dark Interest. I've relished the rest of the series: I like the magic system that Sloan sets up, the affectionate familiarity with the city of Baltimore, and I even enjoy disliking jerkish antiheroic protagonist, Dorian. The series has routi
Jeannie Zelos
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Dark Interest ,(The Dark Choir 4), Book FOUR of The Dark Choir, J.P. Sloan

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre:general fiction (adult), sci-fy and fantasy

I've been with this since book one, and TBH its such a complex series you need to do that. It's full of difficult characters, real world and Old World, and demons of course, charms, hexes, curses, murders, mayhem and magic and without knowing the backstory you'll get lost. I do know the events that have passed and yet at times I'm lo
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

Book source ~ ARC. My review is voluntary and honest.

Dorian Lake went from man on the sidelines to man in the middle. He’s done a lot to keep his city safe from The Dark Choir and those who would prey on the innocent, but with the downfall of the Presidium he’s facing more problems than he anticipated. It’s time to pull up his big boy panties or turn tail and run. And since Dorian has never been much of a runner, well…

With each book in this series I wonder what poor Dorian is going to go thro
Kristine (A Cozy Booknook)
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, sci-fi-fantasy
This is a captivating story. The author has weaved a story filled with complex characters, action, and so much more. There are plenty of twists, and one heck of an ending. I strongly suggest reading this story in order for best enjoyment.
michael white
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly wasn't sure what to expect when I started this one. It's a great read with a few unexpected turns that certainly keep things interesting. One twist in particular that comes at the end I was actually expecting and was glad that particular hook got used. All in all, the best one yet.
Penny Noble
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I was so excited when I read the first book in this series by Mr. Sloan, and here it is the fourth book in the series. At this point, I go into the next book hoping it is just as good as the first, and this book in no way disappoints. Dorian is at a stand-still in parts of his life, and he is losing jobs to someone new in town. But, just like always, events and people conspire against him, and he has to delve into the darker side to get ahead of the Dark Choir and to make a living. I just love h ...more
Roseanna
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth installment of the series. I am not sure if there will be more in it or not. I think the end was done in such a way as it let us know what happened to a certain thing, but not so much as what’s to be done about it. The story was as always well written. Dorian is shades of grey. Not all good, not all bad. Which really makes his character more believable I think. This is a great series, I recommend starting from book one. The series reminds me of another in some ways, I can’t re ...more
tracey welch
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic read

Once again we find Dorian up to his neck in trouble. And what a joy it was to read. Excellent continuation of the storyline while adding new plots that need to be fixed. Great characters that are fully developed and the dialogue is completely believable. I really enjoy this series and look forward to the next book. Warning: Major cliffhanger. I loved it. !! Came out of nowhere.
Kriselda Gray
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book at no cost from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Wow.

I've loved this series since I started reading it, and have eagerly awaited each new installment. I have yet to be let down, and the series just keeps getting better.

Dorian Lake has been having a rough time lately. As if losing his soul wasn't bad enough, his troubles from the magical world are affecting his friends - some in truly awful ways - messing with his lovelife and getting him caught in th
Stacy Bradley
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So here we are on book 4 and holy cow I did not see that coming. The mixed up magical world of Dorian Lake is definitely one you dont want to miss out on. I must say tho, you MUST read the first 3 books to truly understand how far down the rabbit hole Dorian and his cohorts are going. For once stepping out my comfort zone has paid off. Read it, you know you want to.
Juliet
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
Wow wow wow wow. So good.
Marjolein
Full review to come!
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
Dark

Wow what a book! This one was intense and powerful! I thoroughly enjoyed all the twists and turns this one kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. And then that ending ah!! Didn’t expect that. Can’t wait to see where the story goes from here.
Kat
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

Oh, Dorian. Dorian, Dorian. You started out an amusing, inexplicably likeable a-hole, but oh how far you have fallen. Not that any of the people in your stories are particularly good folk, or even very nice, but we're looking at a severe downslide in the quality of your moral choices. If you weren't the hero of your own series, you'd be a villain in someone else's. Harry Dresden would hate you, man.

Apostrophe to fictional characters aside, I'm really finding this series fascinating, as a stud
Julie
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Dorian Lake is a trained "curse merchant" which is a title he dislikes. But he has made his money in Baltimore selling hexes and charms. Dorian's magic is based on karma so when someone asks for his help to hex someone, their karma dictates what might happen. He is trained in the bad stuff too, and can curse others but chooses not to do that kind of work. It carries a stain to the soul with it and there will be literal Hell to pay. However, Dorian's soul is currently missing ...more
Jennifer percy
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Well thought out twisted plot. So engrossed with Dorian mixed up magic world that I have read series to date. Recommend
Janis Hill
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural
I would like to thank Curiosity Quills for approaching me to review this book for them. I was sent a free electronic copy and was not paid to review, it was a totally volunteer basis thingy. I feel I was approached as I have thoroughly enjoyed the other books in this series - ‘The Dark Choir’.

However, I don’t know if they will approach me again after the constructive criticism I am about to give. I don’t think Mr Sloan is going to have me marked as a favourite reviewer any more either. ;-)

But pl
Ann
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This is book 4 in the Dark Choir series and it's the first by J.P. Sloan I've read. I think it would be beneficial to read the previous books to gain insight into the many characters and paranormal groups.
Set in Baltimore, Dorian has a nice business selling hex's and charms to stay afloat. He senses that dark magic is taking over the city and he's right. I'm going to read the earlier book and reread this story.
Jessica
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is by far my favorite book in the series! Dorian is finally defending himself the only way he knows how CURSES!! He still has a amoral dilemma with actually "hurting" people but then again he is still without a soul...so yeah lolz Dorian is constantly reminded about not having a soul, and actually being hounded by a man with a plan for his soul. In this book we learn that people are actually afraid of Dorian, and the damage he could do if he went off the deep end. I have genuinely loved the ...more
Al
Erika Galpin
Jan 30, 2018
Bill
Oct 13, 2017
J.P. Sloan is a speculative fiction author … primarily of urban fantasy, horror and several shades between. His writing explores the strangeness in that which is familiar, at times stretching the limits of the human experience, or only hinting at the monsters lurking under your bed.

A Louisiana native, Sloan relocated to the vineyards and cow pastures of Central Maryland after Hurricane Katrina, wh

The Dark Choir (5 books)
  • The Curse Merchant (The Dark Choir #1)
  • The Curse Servant (The Dark Choir #2)
  • The Curse Mandate (The Dark Choir #3)
  • The Dark Principle (The Dark Choir #5)