Start by marking “Farlough” as Want to Read:
Farlough

Farlough

Newly turned thirty, Cameron North is preparing himself to spend his life alone. When he inherits his great-aunt's teashop on the remote island of Farlough, he returns for the first time in more than a dozen years to a place where memories—and demons—flit close to the surface of his mind. There he meets Gwyneth, a sassy barista who becomes his instant best friend—until Cam ...more
Published May 22nd 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Farlough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farlough

Lelyana
I had difficulties to keep going and interested.
I loved the blurb and the possibilities of a newfound love and forgiveness of an old love.
But I found this too long and too much telling. Until 60% mark, Cam was still trying to make peace of his past and solved his impending problem with Mads. I didn't like Mads's wife. I think she's annoying and sounds like a nosy old woman, and that's bothering me.
We met Tristan way much later. There's nothing really happen in this book, I kept waiting for a lit
Claire
This was my first Xavier Mayne book and whilst I liked it well enough I didn’t love it.

For me Cam and Mads should have been together all the romance was in their back story and my heart broke for them both. I know sometimes love doesn’t conquer all, in this case I think it should have. Tristan was nice enough but never developed into more than a peripheral character for me. I think he was introduced too late into the story to have the impact required for him to become a believable love interest
Annie
A departure from the norm

If I were to sum up my feelings about this book with a single word, it would be “intriguing”. This book was different than your standard contemporary romance- from the setting to the somewhat eccentric characters and even the story itself. Nevertheless, I was drawn to it. So often when I was reading Farlough, I wouldn’t know what to make of it…which only served to intrigue me more. There were unexpected twists and connections. Some connections I correctly anticipated, y
Lada
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I was totally charmed by the island of Farlough-which is a fictitious island, so don't bother googling it like I did- and by Cam's inheritance. I also liked the characters, who were all so nice and wonderful. I wanted to hate Gwyneth and Mads, but I just couldn't do it because they're one of the kindest and most down-to-earth characters that I've ever met.

I think Cam was quite a fool, but I did understand that he needed time to grow up and to realize what he really wanted and neede
BWT (Belen)
WARNING: PERSONAL OPINION AHEAD.

...and you know what they say about opinions, right? Amiright?

I didn't like most of the story. Filled with purple prose, odd situations, and not very well-fleshed out characters or setting, I spent a large majority of the time reading this and wondering why I didn't just set it down. I still can't really adequately explain why I continued to read.

I didn't like Cameron, mostly because he struck me as a very self-centered character. When he left Farlough when he was
Feliz
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing had a lovely old-fashioned feel to it, very fitting the setting of the story.
Farlough is a remote island in the middle of the North Sea, off the Scottish coast. There are no cars there, no telephones- let alone internet- there's just enough electricity for light, and the ferry runs once a week at most.
The story in and of itself was quiet, slow-moving and relaxed, a bit melancholic and very sweet. A perfect Sunday afternoon read.

Lisa The Novel Approach
~ 2.5 Stars ~

Farlough has the feel of a Harlequin novel to it, with flourishes of language and proper decorum (besmirched at times by naughty thoughts and bedroom antics). Descriptions, moments, and slight turns of phrase were meticulously written in such a smooth and careful manner, making the words the star of this book. I thoroughly enjoyed the way Xavier Mayne crafted his story.
Cam sipped the tea, and all he could taste was lack. Lack of his great-aunt, lack of any family whatsoever, lack o
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This story of a selfish, aging New York club kid who travels to a remote Scottish Island to secure his inheritance is the most conventional book I’ve read by Xavier Mayne. This is a gentle rural romance set in a timeless island community. As a long time fan of the author, I was expecting high camp dramatics, slapstick humour and steamy, smutty sex scenes. Instead, this is the quiet story of a thirty year old man reflecting on t
Cathy Brockman
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Farlough is a beautiful sweet romance set in both a modern day setting and in a more historic setting. how can that be? Farlough is an island far off the shore of Aberdeen and only accessible by Ferry. the only modern convenience is enough to power to have lights everything else is done with peat for heat and cooking and manpower. There is no TV no cell phones or electronics and you get around by horse or bicycle or walking. Cam left Farlough behind when he was 17 and never looked back. He didn'
Melanie
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words review

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

For the full review, visit http://wp.me/p220KL-azD

From that review: " Oh, that synopsis....what a teaser! I had no idea which way this story was going to go, there was even a hint that there might be an element of the supernatural here but no. It's simply a wonderful contemporary romance about putting the past to rest, finding out who you really are and coming home.

I absolutely need to contact Xavier Mayne to see if Farlough is r
Suze
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slow, sweet tale of loves lost, loves found, lives lst and lives found. 3.5*
Written in quite an other worldly style, just like Farlough. Isolation brings its own idiosyncrasies and these came across.
Cam begrudgingly goes to Farlough to claim an inheritance. As he travels we get to understand this is more than some distant relative - it is the island and woman who raised him. His first love was here so he has to confront this time in his life, how it ended, the other person as well, clear up mi
Blaine
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very sweet story, and I enjoyed all of the characters very much. Save time by not looking for the actual Farlough island (I looked, its fictional). I loved the description of island life and the connection to Mother Earth. The seemingly supernatural occurrences has a very satisfying conclusion. I will definitely reread this one. But not a single kilt? Bummer.
Bev
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unexpected

It's not what one would expect in a romance novel, It flow's freely and kept me reading till the end, The island is charming, the people of the island may well make you laugh .
Damian Brzeszczyński
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cute, lgbt
I really enjoyed this little novel. It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
If it wasn't for "the sex scenes", which, for me, were simply unnecessary, I would have given it 5 stars.
I'ma Reader
Carole
May 22, 2017
Luisa Pugliano
Jun 01, 2017
Xavier Mayne is the pen name of a writer who has been both a university professor of English and a marketing professional for software companies. He currently manages a team of writers for a large technology company based in the US Pacific Northwest. Versed in academic theories of sexual identity, he is passionate about writing stories in which men experience a love that pushes them beyond the bou ...more