Start by marking “Coiled” as Want to Read:

Coiled

A healing touch. A hideous face. A looming curse.

As the ugly twin to a perfect sister, Princess Laidra lives her life in the shadows—until her parents offer her as bait for a giant serpent.

Her escape attempt leaves her shipwrecked on a secluded island with only one inhabitant: Prince Calen, who lives under a curse. If anyone looks upon him, he turns into a giant serpent.
Published June 15th 2017 by Uncommon Universes Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Coiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coiled

Nate Philbrick
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
**3.5 stars rounded down to 3**

Oh boy. Okay, so I had the hardest time deciding how to rate this book because I had so many differing thoughts about it. I finished it last night but needed some time to organize my thoughts.

First of all, Coiled was the first (I believe) romance novel I've read. Romance is not a genre that I've ever found appealing, but Coiled drew my attention through its fantasy-based setting and premise.

Let me also point out that the writing itself was professional. Were my ra
Marquise
The reviews that alerted me to its release said Coiled was a retelling of the myth of Eros & Psyche, one of my favourites. Which proved to be true, although partially.

Because I believe it's also based on the 17th century salon fairy tale The Green Serpent by Marie-Catherine d'Aulnoy, that was also inspired by Eros & Psyche, so it would make Coiled a retelling of a retelling. As it isn't well-known today, I don't expect most would've known and noted down that fact, but I bet author H. L.
Serethiel ☽ ✨
Greek mythology retold. A giant, man-eating serpent. A rejected princess with a hideous curse and an astounding gift.

From the moment I first heard about H.L.'s upcoming novel to the moment I saw the cover, I knew this was a story I wanted to read.

A retelling of Eros & Psyche, as well as a Beauty & the Beast retelling in its own right, Coiled is the story of Laidra -- a girl forced into hiding by her own family, treated as if she was the child who was never meant to be, and thrown into po
Kristen
9/6
I was looking for something short and pleasant, and this fit the bill. I liked the protagonists, the curses were interesting, and I love the concept behind the romance: two people become friends and then fall in love based solely on the strength of their respective characters and shared interests. Like sign me RIGHT UP.

There's a few things you should probably know going in. In no particular order:
1. This book has some vague Christian overtones...or rather, vague monotheistic overtone
Deborah O'Carroll
I love H.L. Burke’s books, so I was absolutely delighted when I won this in a giveaway! (I loathe snakes, but her funny snek memes make me laugh, and I ended up really enjoying this book despite the scary snakes. XD)

I was only vaguely familiar with the Eros and Psyche myth this retells, but it did feel familiar enough (and kind of Beauty-and-the-Beast-ish too), that I quite enjoyed the retelling aspect! :)

The mirror curses were fascinating and that whole fairytale-ish element was well done!

It ha
Liz Delton
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally consider myself a romance reader--apparently, only when it's done right, and Coiled does it really right. I was originally interested in this book because of the myth-retelling aspect, but got sucked in to a well-told tale with many twists and coils. Pun intended.
A twist on Eros and Pysche, the story of Laidra and Calen is at times heartbreaking, heartwarming, and full of intrigue, adventure, and even an Olympian-style quest.
Laidra is cursed with hideousness that worsens whenev
Kat
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you so much to NetGalley an Uncommon Universes Press for allowing me to read and review this lovely myth retelling by H.L. Burke. This was, I believe, actually based off a Greek myth, but also has strong elements of "Beauty and the Beast" incorporated. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It takes place in a mythical island kingdom where twin princesses have been cursed shortly after birth. One is incredibly lovely, and only grows lovelier every time she is cruel to someone or something. Her twin has a
Claire Banschbach
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got a copy of this at a conference and then read it on the plane ride home. Yep, read the whole thing in one sitting. I've said in my reviews of other of HL Burke's books that I've enjoyed them. Well, I'm pretty much a lifelong fan now.

The story is gripping, the characters really interesting and developed, and relatable (even though I don't have magic and don't turn into a giant green snake if someone looks at me :P ). I loved Laidra. She was gentle and kind even if her appearance was conside
Heather Hayden
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Burke's work for a while now--picking my favorite is hard, though her most recent release, Spellsmith and Carver, came close to knocking Nyssa Glass from the top spot.

Coiled, releasing in just a few short weeks, is another amazing tale from an awesome writer.

This book is a retelling of Eros and Psyche wrapped in coils upon coils of Burke's own special touches. Laidra is a princess cursed with ugliness--Calen is a prince cursed to become a snake if he is gazed upon. Together, t
Tessa
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley for my honest review.

I went into this book expecting cute. For the most part, I got it. I love Psyche/Cupid based book and this was far more accurate than the Beauty and the Beast scenario.

Laidra, the heroine, is very real. She's cursed to be ugly, though with the power to heal. However, each time she heals, it turns her even uglier. Calen is cursed as well; he is cursed to never be seen without turning into a monster. So, for almost all his life
D
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Coiled

After reading the first couple of pages I wanted to cry. I could feel all of Laidra's pain and isolation and it kept me glued to the story. I had to find out whether Laidra would triumph over her demons, and as I read I discovered a much deeper, more in-depth story. "Coiled" was like a twist on "Beauty and the Beast," but it explored the idea of being cursed due to someone else's failings and selfishness.

I believe this story gave us some thought-provoking questions to consider. For exampl
Savannah Jezowski
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun Cupid and Psyche Retelling

This was a good book — not amazing, but still good. I enjoyed the setting (ancient Greece-esque) and the storyline. Ms. Burke did an excellent job of keeping the heart of the myth while still giving it new life and spirit. My one issue with the book is the numerous awkward references to the wedding night activities. (Nothing explicit; it's just a little odd and annoying.)
Sophia Hansen
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having met Heidi Lyn burke standing next to her books, I couldn't help but buy Coiled. The read was as delightful as its author and I enjoyed every word. It tasted like a mix of fairy tale + mythology with a nice side of romance thrown in. If any of those appeal to you, Coiled is definitely recommended reading.
Emma Hamm
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alright, I'll admit, I was leery going into this book because the cover is a little teenie bopper and the characters are 16. Not my usual style, but I'm a sucker for anything even vaguely beauty and the beast. And I was NOT DISAPPOINTED AT ALL.

If you haven't read this book, the only thing I have to say to you is

This book was so incredibly sweet, and honestly, I've been in a reading funk. There are SO MANY books out there that are just.... blah. I've been avoiding reading lately just because I
☘Tara Sheehan☘
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The era of retelling old myths has been alive and going for some time now with hits and misses along the way depending on the writer’s talent or interest in ancient folklore. This one has the makings to be on the interesting side: royalty, man-eating serpent, curses, magic and that oft used theme of love.

This is a take on the myth of Eros (more commonly known as Cupid) and Psyche. If you don’t remember, or never knew the myth, I’ll give you my personality infused rundown of the love story betwee
Hannah
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I was reading description of the book I found it interesting, but I was still debating on whether or not I would really want to review it.
And then I read that it was a retelling of the Eros and Psyche myth.
If something is a retelling, it's safe to assume that I'll want to read it.
This book was well written and the characters were developed. I went into this expecting a sort of insta-love situation, but I discovered that this wasn't the case, and that I was in fact rooting for the characters
Laura A. Grace
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story! The romance was so beautiful and loved how it bloomed in an unexpected way that truly reflected a love that looks beyond appearances. The author also certainly threw in a few plot twists that I didn't see coming and had me rereading to make sure I read it right.

One of the things that truly took me off guard and pleasantly surprised me was the faith aspect. I'm not sure if you would call them "Easter eggs" or "hidden nuggets," but regardless, I soaked it up! Though t
Veronica Lynn
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a discerning Bibliophile and book editor who has enjoyed incredible literary offerings from pretty much every genre, I am not easily impressed.

With COILED, H.L. Burke has wowed my mind, touched my heart, sparked my imagination and delighted my soul.

Burke has artfully woven favorite aspects from timeless classics, such as THE PRINCESS BRIDE, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, and Greek mythology and crafted a masterpiece that honors its predecessors without ever imitating them.

Burke has created a magical h
Katy
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars for a fantasy that slithers into your heart (and I already liked snakes). Coiled has such a strong feel of Greek mythology, it could easily be titled "The Labors of Laidra" so she could take her place in the pantheon of mythological heroes. The MC, Princess Laidra, is an extremely sympathetic yet strong and selfless character (the three "S's," rather snake-like). The members of the supporting cast, including humans and gods and monsters, are all individual drawn yet have enough similar ...more
Laurie Lucking
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved so much about this book I hardly know where to start! The mythology was very cool, the mirror curse was fascinating, and the development of the romance was just so sweet. Both Laidra and Calen were characters I was rooting for all the way, and I appreciated that the secondary characters became increasingly complex as the story unfolded. The plot took several unexpected twists, delivering an ending that was very satisfying but came about in a way I never anticipated. I would highly recomm ...more
Gemma
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love me a good story based on Greek mythology and this is no exception. An easy and engaging romantic read with an interesting concept, loosely based on the myth of Eros and Pysche.
Barbara Russell
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for this lovely re-telling of the myth of Eros and Psyche by Apuleius, with a dash of Beauty and the Beast. Laidra and Calen, star-crossed lovers, will charm the reader with their heart-breaking love story. [Spoiler] I grew worried toward the end because I couldn’t see how a happily ever after was possible, and I was worried that the book would end with a “you can’t have everything” kind of end, a half HEA, a la Markus Zusak. I was ready to throw my Kindle across the room, but H. L. B ...more
Taylor
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I recieved a copy from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Oooh this book was like a beauty and the beast retelling with snakes and princesses. It also had a greek mythology undertone to it.
Denae Christine
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
Reader thoughts: Well, it wasn't quite what I was hoping, but it was still fun. I absolutely loved the first 40% of it.

Where to start? Curses. I loved the ideas of the two mirror curses. Laidra gets uglier every time she heals someone magically, but she can't help herself. So, she's crone/hag/wart-fully ugly. Her twin, Ellea, gets prettier every time she cruelly breaks someone's heart. Calen is a giant serpent any time anyone looks at him. His twin, Volen, is a giant serpent any time someone
Amber
Laidra carries half of a curse.

She and her sister were given a mirror curse at birth.  For one, kindness makes her hideous.  For the other, cruelty makes her beautiful.  Laidra knows the boundaries of her curse, and yet she presses them, because she has an extraordinary gift and wants to help people.  The two princesses are not the only mirror-cursed, seeking a cure.  In a neighboring kingdom two brothers suffer from a more terrifying fate.

By himself, Calen is a kind and gentle soul.  However, w
Calye Cochran
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
(This is a partial review. You can access the whole thing at my blog: calyecochran.wordpress.com/2017/09/30... )

This book had a lot going for it – curses, romance, monsters, and I would even say some psychology! First of all, this is a retelling of the story from Greek mythology of Eros and Psyche. I have always been a Greek mythology buff, so this was right up my alley!

The story is told through Princess Laidra’s perspective, and you automatically find yourself drawn to her. She is not the typi
Bethany
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Once I started reading it I didn't put it down, and since I was on Vacation at the time, I had plenty of time to just sit and read.
There were intriguing concepts here.
I picked up on the greek mythos right away. I mean multiple gods, sea serpents, gorgons, etc. Although I didn't pick up on the Christian aspect until later. (view spoiler)
Martha
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully engaging fairy tale. My rating 4.75.

Princess Laidra and her twin sister, Ellea, were cursed at birth. Ellea is beautiful but her beauty is enhanced by her acts of cruelty to others, such as crushing a small bird. Laidra has the gift of healing but with every healing touch she becomes uglier with moles and wiry hairs on her face and body.

Laidra’s mother insists she cover herself with a cloak and hood and forbades her from healing. But Laidra still helps the servants when the
Desiree Shay
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5/5
I received this E-ARC via NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book. It gave me flash backs to what it was like to read Ella Enchanted back when I was in junior high. The story is sweet and simple, a very quick read and I enjoyed the time I spent on it. The story takes some cliches and the idea of princes and princesses and true love and twists them in a story that is entirely unique and it's own story. The innocence and sweetness of the book p
Born in a small town in north central Oregon, H. L. Burke spent most of her childhood around trees and farm animals and was always accompanied by a book. Growing up with epic heroes from Middle Earth and Narnia keeping her company, she also became an incurable romantic.

An addictive personality, she jumped from one fandom to another, being at times completely obsessed with various books, movies, o
“Tomorrow they would be facing a dragon. Tonight, however, they were together, and even with their twisted circumstances, that was a gift.” 0 likes