Start by marking “Killing November (Killing November, #1)” as Want to Read:
Killing November (Killing November, #1)

Killing November

(Killing November #1)

It’s a school completely off the grid, hidden by dense forest and surrounded by traps. There’s no electricity, no internet, and an eye-for-an-eye punishment system. Classes include everything from Knife-Throwing and Poisons to the Art of Deception and Historical Analysis. And all of the students are children of the world’s most elite strategists—training to become assassin ...more
Published March 26th 2019 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Killing November, please sign up.

Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-ones
This is gonna be one of the kick-ass, fast paced, astonishing YA novels of the year with full of non-stop action, introduces us one of the brilliant, badass heroine, November! Her name belongs to month of Scorpio sign and so there’s so much hidden potential and secrets inside this character and I think she’s going to discover herself and turn into her perfect version on the upcoming novels of the series which I cannot wait to read them.
It’s great to see a movie producer and actor can write so p
Carrie
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Killing November by Adriana Mather is the first book of the young adult thriller series by the same name. This opening book of the series certainly set up a creepy atmospheric setting dropping the main character into a boarding school in an old castle in the opening pages.

November Adley had reluctantly agreed to go away to school for a few weeks when her father proposed the idea to keep her safe while dealing with some issues at home. Waking up in the strange location with no memory after the pl
Helen Power
~Synopsis~
When November Addley’s father sends her away to boarding school because it's too dangerous back home, she doesn’t know what to expect. But she definitely doesn’t expect to be sent to a school that’s completely off the grid--with no access to the internet or even electricity. Classes range from poison to dagger-throwing, and November starts to question who her father really is. But she doesn’t have much time to worry about that.  Someone’s killing the students in the school, and Novembe
Candace Robinson
Maybe there is something wrong with me but I couldn’t get into this one as much as I would have liked! 😭😭 However, I absolutely love the author’s other books!
Laurène Poret
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s now past 2am, I’ve got to get up early tomorrow but I don’t regret one minute staying up to finish this. Though I didn’t exactly get a choice since I couldn’t seem to be able to put it down.

The best book I’ve read this year, and I’ve had some good ones.
Amitaf0208
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars - very entertaining!
Sandra Mather
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read an early draft of this book. It was good. It has since gone through both line edits and copy edits. It is now excellent.

I really liked the premise and I found the setting atmospheric and intriguing. The MC was eminently likable, the writing taut and suspenseful. November appears to be like the ‘girl next door.’ But it turns out that she has mad skills that are extremely unusual.

All in all, this is an entertaining read.
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Random House Children’s, via NetGalley for an honest review.

Opinion:

You know those books you come across that sound AMAZING, like they will be an EXACT fit for you, and are already praised and LOVED by EVERYONE?

And then you start reading it, all giddy and excited for what’s to come…

…but then you get about 60 pages in and are just kind of like…

description

Yeah.

Killing November.

November assumed she had a normal upbringing, that was until she arrived
Arlene
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars.

Couldn’t quite keep my attention. I kept losing interest. The sad thing about this story is that someone had to literally die to reel me back in. After the third casualty though it felt contrived. I likely won’t continue with this story if there are sequels and it sorta feels like there will be. I’ll pass...
Bethany Towne
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Recently, I had the opportunity to read Killing November through an ARC tour. With several months to go, I look forward to reading this book again when it is released in March of 2019, as well as adding it to my personal collection.

Many of you who already know me likely know that Adriana Mather is one of my favorite authors. Adriana has a way of writing her books in which her characters are so easy to picture. The voice she gives them and the settings she illustrates with her words truly make e
Kelsea
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun! I’ve been into YA thrillers lately, but found most of them to be a bit lacking. Not so with Killing November! This one turned out to be just as dark, stabby, and twisted as the cover and premise suggest.

At the start, I wasn’t immediately sold. I felt like I’d been thrown headfirst into a confusing situation, and I wasn’t quite sure if November (the main character) was naive or masterful.

But by 1/4 way in, I was completely hooked! And I started to realize the genius of
Patricia
KILLING NOVEMBER is a ya novel with a kick-ass female main character - November! November is in school which teaches poisons, deception, all types of fighting, and the rule is an eye for an eye. So begins a non-stop action novel. I highly recommend this book.
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
3.5/5

Like Adriana Mather's previous novels, Killing November follows a generic YA format where the main character is absolutely clueless (I mean, she still doesn't know anything at 76%) and she goes through a journey of figuring out her role in this strange and new school environment. Throughout most of the novel, November was a passive character trying to figure out the school, its students, and where she fits.

"November Adley doesn't know why she's been sent to this place, or the secrets th
Yanileidys Batista
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So once again Adriana has done it. I’ve cried, I’ve laughed and I’m left wanting more. Murder, weapons, poisons and everything is deathly. I loved every single moment of it.This is another masterpiece and I’m ready to reread it, the plot, the twists and turns kept me doubting my own detective skills and once everything is laid out on the table all the pieces come together in a beautiful way and you’re left mouth open and crying. I found myself frustrated with November and at times had to put the ...more
Justin Turczak
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is sooo mysterious. At first your like can this person be trusted since motto is like trust no one. Even thru the book its that. But this book is very fun intriguing story. Like come on a secret school. Also the thrill of the weapons and fighting ect. Sooo well worth the read and another amazing work by Adriana Mather and look forward to book 2
Darla Bandel
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the medieval setting to gothic decor, once November arrived at International Academy Absonditi I was hooked.
I enjoyed getting to know each of the characters especially Ash.
Adriana has created a secret world that sucks you in and you can not wait to turn the page to find out where it will take you next.
I cannot wait for the next book to come out to see where the series take us!
Natalie M
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Think of the Harry Potter setting and school, but for Hunger Games families. A strong young adult theme, with a few cliche moments but for fans of YA and a bit of conflict, this one will do it for you. The requisite challenge of skills/tactics, relationships and someone out to unbalance everything. 4 stars for those that enjoy YA/mystery but only a 3 star general read.
OutlawPoet
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got such a kick out of this book. It’s just cool girls who kick butts, take names, and will put you in the ground if necessary fun!

November is a heroine you can relate to. Yeah, she’s YA-Trite-The-One, but she’s also pretty normal and funny. She’s kind of like the Buffy of her world.

As for our other characters, like em or loath em, they’re a whole lot of fun!

I’m so on board for this series and can’t wait for book two!

• ARC Provided via Net Galley
Samantha (WLABB)
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

For centuries, a handful of families have been orchestrating some of the biggest historical events. Welcome to the Academy Absconditi, where the children of these elite families come to train and perfect their skills in things, such as: strategy, mind games, subterfuge, knife throwing, climbing, and sword fighting.

When a "family emergency" arose, November was whisked off to this top secret boarding school in an undisclosed location. Little did she know, this was not your average
Clinton Read
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been a huge fan of Adriana's ever since I first picked up HOW TO HANG A WITCH and it's sequel HAUNTING THE DEEP, but she has stepped up her game like nobodies business. KILLING NOVEMBER is by far the most unique and entertaining book I have ever read. This gave me everything I wanted and so much more. Does anyone remember the film from the early 2000's called "The Skulls" starring Joshua Jackson and Paul Walker? Just Me? Cool. It could be the whole Secret Society vibes that keeps me thinkin ...more
Ashley Hawkins
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book way more than I expected to enjoy it when I picked it up. Initially, I thought it would be a good read for my students, who like thrillers. I expected to skim through, find it acceptable and move on. Instead, I totally got sucked in to this book. A lot of it was predictable, but this was just so much fun to read. The pace goes very quickly from start to finish, and I liked the characters quite a lot. There could have been more development, and information reveals sometimes wo ...more
Jilly Blake
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book and could not put it down!! What I really loved about this book is the intrigue of a secret society, a school steeped in history and mystery. I can’t wait for the next book in this series!! Adriana has outdone herself again, if you are a fan of How to Hang a With & Haunting the Deep, this book is for you!
Meaghan
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
First off I would like to thank the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for giving me the chance to read and review this ARC. Please note that the version I read was an advanced copy, and certain events/language may be changed in the published edition. While the copy was provided for free, all opinions are honest and my own.

In Killing November, November Adley must learn to navigate a new school, but it’s unlike any other school. It’s hidden in a place no one knows of and trains its students, al
Amanda
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, ya-mystery
This was a good choice to listen to. I really enjoyed the story and the narrator. I am a sucker for teens with special gifts at a boarding school stories. The plot in this book was wrapped up at the end and while you know what the second book is going to be about, I wouldn't consider it a cliffhanger.
Genesis Sheli (Whispering Chapters)
Before Killing November, I hadn't read anything by Adriana Mather, but now I'm looking forward to more!

This story gives a different and refreshing take to YA Mystery involving a school to train spies and assassins. I was intrigued from the start, mainly because there aren't many details concerning November nor the school she's attending. She doesn't even know anything about the school, her family, the politics surrounding the students, etc. Since November woke up at the school, with no recollect
Kelly
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Killing November took me by surprised. I don't know why but I thought I would like it less than I actually did. I don't really know why I thought that. Maybe it's because I was having a bad reading slump when I first started but it doesn't matter now.

Killing November was quite atmospheric and compelling. I was really into the story of this girl who got dropped in a boarding school that seem to be like nothing she's ever seen before. The people inside seem to be trained in many areas and even th
MyTimeOutShelf
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been in a bit of a book slump and this is just what I needed!

Killing November was such a fun read!

The MC has no idea wth is going on when she’s placed into a boarding school full of future assassins and spies. This school is brutal but so awesome to read about! Knife throwing , poisons , climbing and accent impersonating are just some of the classes.

I enjoyed piecing all the clues together along with November and trying to figure out who was trustworthy and who wasn’t and learning more
Kathy Martin
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an entertaining and engaging boarding school mystery. November was raised in a quiet Connecticut town by her father and aunt after her mother died. Now seventeen and with her family in danger, she is sent to Academy Absconditi - a hidden and dangerous boarding school - where she learns many of the secrets of her past that the other students already expect her to know.

Worst of all for November is that someone is either trying to kill her or trying to frame her for the murders of some oth
Erin
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to read this early. I didn't know much about the premise beforehand...I chose to go in blind. I have read Adrianas previous works and loved them so I had no doubt I'd love this as well...and I was not wrong! This books caught and kept my attention from the get go, it was the fastest I have completed a book the whole year (Just over a day and a half)!
The story of November takes the "assasin"-genre and gives you an entirely new take...this is not like ot
Ashley Hawkins
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it

• A Thousand Fires
  • Eight Will Fall
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
  • Spectacle (Spectacle, #1)
  • Untitled
  • The Deceivers (Vale Hall, #1)
  • Chilling Effect (Untitled, #1)
  • Goddess in the Machine
  • Cloudforest (Cloudforest, #1)
  • Other Words for Smoke
  • The Waking Forest
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (There Will Come a Darkness, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • The Shadow Wand (The Black Witch Chronicles, #3)
  • Legacy (Keeper of the Lost Cities #8)
Adriana Mather is the New York Times bestselling author of How to Hang a Witch, with family roots that go back to Sleepy Hollow, the Salem Witch Trials, and the Titanic. She's also an actor and producer best known for her role in the award-winning Honeyglue. She co-owns Zombot Pictures, a production company that makes feature films. Her first acting scene in a film ever was with Danny Glover, and ...more