Start by marking “Little Black Book: A Toolkit for Working Women” as Want to Read:
Little Black Book: A Toolkit for Working Women

Little Black Book: A Toolkit for Working Women

Little Black Book: A Toolkit For Working Women is the modern career guide every creative woman needs, whether you’re just starting out or already have years of experience. Packed with fresh ideas and no-nonsense practical advice, this travel-sized career handbook is guaranteed to become your go-to resource when it comes to building the career you want.

Writer Otegha Uwagba
Published June 15th 2017 by Fourth Estate

To ask other readers questions about Little Black Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Black Book

Start your review of Little Black Book: A Toolkit for Working Women
Cindy Pham
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
The book gives pretty standard advice for productivity, creative block, personal brand, public speaking, money, and other relevant topics for creatives. The advice is valid, but nothing new, and they are all presented in bite-sized pieces that don't give room for much depth.
Annikky
Nothing groundbreaking, but sometimes it's good to remind oneself of the basics. Worth it for a couple of good - and new to me - resources alone (it's a very quick read).
A Sara
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Am I the only one who was completely disappointed with this? The simplicity of the ideas didn't inspire me but rather left me cold; nothing new but, more importantly, nothing for the grey matter to nibble on.
Lily ☁️
This is, all in all, a worthwhile book, but the last chapter, consisting of words of wisdom from various successful women (including Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie!) was the best part of it … which says a lot, I think. (rtc)

Blog ¦ Bloglovin’ ¦ Tumblr ¦ Instagram
Rosamund
It was okay. Probably better for people right at the start of their creative career - this is more like freelancing 101, e.g. manage your finances, make sure you exercise. Probably better to own it as a hard copy too, so you can flick to a specific part you need. It was more Lean In-ish than I expected (not a compliment). By this, I mean some of the quotations at the end made me roll my eyes hard.
kippen (uponthepages)
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism
Well, I guess I need a physical copy of this book now. Absolutely wonderful.
Claire
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Little Black Book is indeed an essential for women working in the creative industries. Whether you're freelance or working within an organisation, it's a mine of useful advice - some of which I have already started following and found immensely useful. This book is highly relevant, the author has real and up to date insights into how the women it's aimed at live our lives. It is extremely practical, with tips on efficiency, the admin side of creative work, networking, and self-care. Very gla ...more
Vivian Wolkoff
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every working woman should read this!
Esmée
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is quite hard to rate because it’s a book of just useful information for if you’re working. The information given is interesting, so I gave it 4 stars for being useful, and I loved the quotes in the back, but this is especially useful if you’re freelancing in the creative industry.
Manuela
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is nice to read. It is good to be reminded of some essentials even when you are not new to business or are not in the creative Industrie. However I would have liked it to go more into detail and not merely scratch the surface... but then again, there already are so many books that do go into detail that it gets overwhelming so it is good to have an overview.
Weaving Fiction ( Sj )
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction
This was such a useful and insightful book. Even as someone who works a normal job, not in the creative industry, there was such a wealth of knowledge hidden in this tiny book that allowed me to understand more, and honestly, will allow me to further myself as a person.
Chelsey
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was great! Think of all the great advice you've received about work life, and condense it into a tiny, pocketsized book that is direct, motivational and overflowing with Woman Power. At about halfway through the book, I stopped and thought, I've heard most of this before. But the thing was, I hadn't listened. And this finally made me want to. So take this advice to heart, and listen to Otegha and the other amazing women quoted in this book. I could spend the whole afternoon writing out my f ...more
Marion Honey
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I sat with a notebook while breezing through this very readable advice compendium and have 15 new things to try out. Great appendix as well. Lots of good stuff in here for freelancers.
Amanda
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute little book with some helpful hints. I didn't find anything overly unique however.
what.heather.loves
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
"Women who are striving for more. Women, who like me, want, or need to, make a change. Because things are changing aren't they? The offices, studios and coffee shops where we spend the majority of our waking hours are constantly evolving, and with them the rulebook on how to build a successful and fulfilling, creative career."

This mini compact career guide for women is concise; small and just over 100 pages. I can't say this better myself - Emma Gannon (in my TBR pile) is quoted on the back - 'T
Fangirlalert_07
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I liked this book way more than I expected too, well because for starters it was non-fiction and I don't really enjoy non-fiction but this book was a startling exception. The only reason I picked this book up was because of the "feminist" in me. I really wanted to read a book that is women-centric!

This book has it all, from advice about networking to managing your finances. Very informative but not so, that it becomes boring. well detailed and precise, I liked how the author didn't really make t
Lindsay Seddon
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely a good read if you want to fire yourself up to start working on a new project or if you're thinking of changing direction. After reading this I will be updating my CV and looking at my options, as well as changing my daily routine to be more productive with projects I have already started.

I would have liked to have read a little about what Otegha herself does and about her own experiences, and I definitely could have done without the two pages about mental health that could have been
Lucia
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I believe this is a book for every woman in the creative industry or every woman who's an entrepreneur. It's a helpful guide on how to do things in the business with a female insight. It helps with time-management and contains lots of incredible resources, and sources you can get inspiration from. Also, very useful tool for freelancers as it explains why it is important to get a grip of your finance and understand every aspect of being a self-employed woman.
I loved it and it was really helpful
Shelby
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
This tiny, stylish pocketbook is a great resource for women who work. From how to negotiate a salary to setting a freelance schedule, Uwagba’s book is a great gift idea for new graduates, creative friends, or budding entrepreneurs. I found it to be a little repetitive, but it’s a solid foundation for women who have yet to hear this advice.

Uwagba’s podcast, In Good Company, is excellent supplementary material for any woman who needs career inspiration, a self esteem boost, or a freelancing commun
Sakshi Pandit
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actually very helpful book...
The author talks about how you should exercise and keep work out of your personal life. At the same time gives tips on creating your brand and asking the correct value for your work. Certainly not a guide to work but can be used for all.
Readbylala
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good book to have in your library for tips on starting your own business or how to create more opportunities for yourselves. It's aimed at creative women but the tips are relatable for all fields.
Harriet Thacker
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2019
I think this is a great book with some useful hints and tips on how to get the most out of your career.
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Nothing too new or earth-shattering but covers everything you need to think about if a woman in a creative field. From setting freelancer rates to asking for pay raises, and drafting contracts and the importance of networking this is great for those just starting out--or a nice reminder for those more established. Helped me refocus some goals for the rest of the year.
Kate
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Smart, sassy, and surprisingly helpful.
Victoria Larsen Stø
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clear, concise and helpful guide to navigating working life. Found this especially useful as someone about to enter my first full-time grad job. Would definitely recommend.
Ema
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm pretty disappointed with this book. I liked the 'bite-size' format in which it was written, but that was pretty much where the positives ended. It felt more like a brochure than a book, and after reading it in one sitting I don't feel like I've learned anything of value. Nice concept, poor execution.
Ally McCudden
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice little inspirational read for when you are feeling a bit flat
Sabreena Grant
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good clear concise tips for working women. Really enjoyed reading this and found it very useful, will be recommending to others as it is not very long but is packed full of information.
Ella
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great little book recommended to me by a fellow blogger. It has some great tips and pointers about creative careers and freelancing, however a lot of it also felt quite obvious to me (get enough sleep, put your phone away sometimes, eat well and exercise regularly etc). My favourite parts were the quotes at the start of each chapter and the q&a at the end from women in the creative industries (I’m a sucker for a good quote), and I thought the resources at the end, plus recommendations of website ...more
Abi
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nothing particularly groundbreaking, but lovely to have all the reminders, advice and resources in one place, as provided. A great motivational career pick me up, and well worth the money.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Multi-Hyphen Method: Work less, create more, and design a career that works for you
  • An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Your Life, at Work and at Home
  • The Working Woman's Handbook: Ideas, Insights, and Inspirations for a Successful, Self-Made Career
  • Why Social Media is Ruining Your Life
  • What a Time to Be Alone: The Slumflower's Guide to Why You Are Already Enough
  • How to Fail: Everything I’ve Ever Learned From Things Going Wrong
  • Everything I Know About Love
  • How to Style Your Brand: Everything You Need to Know to Create a Distinctive Brand Identity
  • Money: A User’s Guide
  • Skincare: the Ultimate No-Nonsense Guide
  • Intuitive Living: A 6-week guide to self-love, intuitive eating and reclaiming your mind-body connection
  • The Authentic Lie
  • Comfort Zones: women writers tackling unfamiliar ground in aid of Women for Women International
  • Rituals for Every Day