Start by marking “Destroyer #1” as Want to Read:
Destroyer #1

Destroyer #1

(Victor LaValle's Destroyer #1)

When the last descendant of the Frankenstein family loses her only son to a police shooting, she turns to science for her own justice...putting her on a crash course with her family's original monster and his quest to eliminate humanity. An intense, unflinching story exploring the legacies of love, loss, and vengeance placed firmly in the tense atmosphere and current event ...more
Kindle Edition
Published May 24th 2017 by BOOM! Studios

Edward Lorn
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dark. Brutal. Interesting as hell.

Highly recommended.
FanFiAddict
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Modern-day continuation, not simply a re-telling, of Frankenstein.

Huge fan of LaValle after reading 'The Ballad of Black Tom' and have been waiting for Destroyer to be released. The only thing that sucks is that I have to wait for each consecutive volume to release.

The original creation is back to obliterate humanity while the last descendant of the Frankenstein family is dealing with the loss of her son. Police shootings, whale wars, utter destruction at the hands of a monster, and the science
Bridget Mckinney
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Gorgeous art, but a little light on story in this first issue. Still, a promising introduction to a series, and it looks likely to do an outstanding job of mining the rich thematic depths of the Frankenstein material and marrying them with current events and modern cultural trends.
Cory
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Sea Shepherd.
Aisha
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heavy, but I couldn't put it down.
Kel Munger
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Victor LaValle rocks ...

... and "Destroyer" isn't a reboot of "Frankenstein," it's a continuation, one that shows how inhumane so-called humans remain. Great reading.
Maureen
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hot Damn

Frankenstein, but woke AF. Plus nanotechnology?!?! I’m all in. Gorgeous artwork and more nuance than I was expecting. Read this!
Dr J Comb
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What can I say ? This novel is one of the most relevant and woke pieces of literature I’ve ever read. I can relate to Dr. Baker, myself being a black woman and a scientist, I have faced the same issues of racism and struggle in academia (and society). LaValle integrates this story as a part of many many many black people (specifically black men) who have become victims of police brutality and the policing of black bodies. All in all , Dr Baker is a black mother who feels although she has accompl ...more
David Dalton
I love this take on the whole Frankenstein history. The Creation is still alive? And looking for the latest in the long line of Frankensteins? Who happens to be a very high tech scientist who just happens to give life back to her son? Creepy but high tech cool. Another hit I can access thanks to Comixology Unlimited.
Ashley Andrews
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Need more. Admittedly, I’m not a comic reader so I need to continue this series, but I learned more from A Q & A with the Author included in the digital copy than I did from the story and illustrations - so hoping next installments dive deeper.
Alistair
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
well apart from the wrong pole an interesting beginning, but cartoon/graphic novels/ SEQUENTIAL ART need to be on paper!

Tried to be generous with the *'s so overlooking the e-effect but?............
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Decent opener, love the art.
AJ (Andrea) Nolan
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic comic looking at a scientist, who is a black woman, dealing with losing her son to being killed by police, by reanimating him. A brilliant re-imagining of Frankenstein.
Ronnie Catcus
I love Frankenstein and I’m so excited, because I know I’m going to buy this when the volume comes out. It’s a modern day continuation of the Frankenstein story. The graphics are interesting and left me wanting to learn more.
Midu Hadi
Simply beautiful and so on point with the current events that it is scary! These four issues are just the beginning though. I hope it continues to be this awesome. Here are some scenes for you to feast your eyes on:

description

LI
ME
BO
FB
OH MY GODS THIS IS SO GOOD!
Bernard Cox
Carol Tilley
Apr 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Orphan Black #4
  • Dead Team Alpha (Dead Team Alpha, #1)
  • Bloodshot, Volume 3: Harbinger Wars
  • Worm
  • We Stand On Guard #2
  • Anaconda: The Writer's Cut
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Southern Comfort
  • Hive (No Man's Land #1)
  • Suicide Squad: Rebirth #1
  • The Batman Who Laughs #1
Victor LaValle is the author of the short story collection Slapboxing with Jesus, four novels, The Ecstatic, Big Machine, The Devil in Silver, and The Changeling and two novellas, Lucretia and the Kroons and The Ballad of Black Tom. He is also the creator and writer of a comic book Victor LaValle's DESTROYER.

He has been the recipient of numerous awards including a Whiting Writers' Award, a United

Victor LaValle's Destroyer (6 books)
  • Destroyer #2