Start by marking “Midnight Rainbow (Rescues, #1)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Rainbow (Rescues, #1)

Midnight Rainbow

(Rescues #1)

Grant Sullivan had been one of the government's most effective agents, and he's agreed to rescue Jane Hamilton Greer, a wealthy socialite possibly engaged in espionage. In the time they spent together, questions of guilt and innocence began to fade against the undeniable reality that two people from such different worlds should never have met.
Published March 25th 1996 by MIRA (first published February 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Rainbow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Rainbow

Heart of Fire by Linda HowardTinted Lenses by Jackie WilliamsMidnight Rainbow by Linda HowardThe Unseen by Sabrina DevonshireOut of Control by Suzanne Brockmann
Jungle Love
66 books — 123 voters
Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardAfter the Night by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareNaked in Death by J.D. Robb
Best Romantic Suspense
1,870 books — 2,542 voters

More lists with this book...

AgentScully
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Midnight Rainbow was originally published as a Silhouette Intimate Moments in the '80's and is about 250 pages. It is more exciting, more action-packed, more romantic and plain more fabulous than many a longer mass market paperback published nowadays. In fact it is one of my top 5 favorite Linda Howard books. If only she still wrote like this! The plot is simple enough - burnt out special ops hero must rescue spoiled socialite from villain's Costa Rican lair. There's a microfilm involved, which ...more
Sandra
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Jungle Romances
Ex-government agent Grant Sullivan is hired by a wealthy man to get his daughter, Jane Greer, out of the Costa Rican jungle where she is being held captive by a powerful man who thinks she has access to important microfilm that he wants. What follows is an exciting, suspenseful, and romantic story.

I really liked:

The heroine Jane Greer--29 and divorced, she was no TSTL (To Stupid To Live) heroine. She was quite brave and gutsy at times but also vulnerable and likable. She was a heroine who actual
Lady Heather
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: contemporary romance, black-ops, action, suspense
Grant Sullivan is an 'Original' Uber-Bad-Ass, dominating, possessive male!
Jane (Priscilla) Greer is charming, witty, sassy, and brilliant.
When the reader 'sees' things through her eyes, everything seems SO logical, but when it actually plays out... maybe her choices may not have been the best in her situation.

I absolutely LOVED this story!

Background
Grant Sullivan is a retired agent hired by Hamilton Greer, a wealthy, connected socialite to rescue his daughter (Jane) from being held captive in C
Duchess Nicole
I had read this years ago but wanted to revisit some of Howard's stories. Namely the Kell Sabin series, as I recall loving him to absolute pieces. This was a jungle setting, nonstop action from page one, and the hero is the alpha male that I never knew the name for way back before realizing there was a name for the type of hero I liked. I admit, this story feels a little dated. The technology they talk about would have been okay ten years ago, but sadly, it seems archaic now. The romance was gre ...more
Naksed
Hands down my favorite Linda Howard book and the only one that has earned a five star rating from me as of this date.

For 90% of the book, it was a lighthearted, humorous, romantic suspense reminiscent of those popular 80s capers that would pit a prim,proper, cool, city girl with a hawt and dirty adventurer in some exotic locale. Think Romancing the Stone or Crocodile Dundee. I enjoyed the banter and tension between the characters, the setting of the Costa Rican jungle, and the fast pacing. But w
Mo
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
As they would say in Ireland ... "It was grand." I had higher hopes for it but they fizzled out about halfway through. I felt it read like another LH book but cannot seem to remember the name of it right now. The next in the series is available for preorder on kindle at $10.00. No thanks. Not sure how an author/publisher can justify issuing an OLD book on kindle ... and then charging that much for it. Will have to scour the second hand bookshops at some stage.

Time disappeared as they stood in t
Saly
I enjoyed Midnight Rainbow. Grant Sullivan lived in the shadows too long, covert operation and more that he found himself losing his humanity, so a year ago he quit and bought a farm trying to heal but now he's back because someone made him an irresistible offer, if he rescues a woman, his mortgage will be wiped clean.

The woman is Priscilla Jane, who is a hostage in Costa Rico. After observing her Grant thinks he has her pegged, she is rich, spoiled, pampered and woman who uses her feminine wile
KatieV
This is a very fun adventure/romance. Definitely a lighter offering by LH as far as angst goes. The hero only has one small episode of asshattery where he falsely accuses the heroine, but it doesn't last very long.

This is basically a story of opposites attracting with some twists (the h isn't as opposite as most think at first glance).

Re: Audio - I am not a fan of the choice this narrator made for the heroine's voice. It honestly took me quite a while to be able to tune out my annoyance and jus
Vintage
Plot? Who cares. There's the McGuffin aka microfiche that has to be smuggled out of Central America by heiress/natural born spy Jane who is rescued by ex-covert agent Grant Sullivan. Bad guys give chase while love blossoms. I jest. Fun, fun, fun. Tons of exciting action within a very short time period and off the charts sexiness.

Midnight Rainbow is an excellent example of suspense novel. Strong silent-type hero, smart and ingenious heroine, explosive chemistry, and non-stop action. Correction, a
Blacky *Romance Addict*
Extremely fast insta-love aside, this was such a brilliant book! THIS is why I love Linda so much. She's just amazing.
Kathleen
4.5 giddy stars for the book, and maybe 4 stars for Sweeney's narration. Her voice for the hero is great, but the heroine sounds both flakey and fake, high pitched.

Whoot!! Linda Howard's romantic adventure is decades old, but it stands the test of time. Fabulous story! Lots of action and adventure in the rain forests and villages of Costa Rica. Fast-paced page turner. Plenty of tension. Logical, coherent plot. All the characters were credible, with slowly-steaming sizzle between Grant and Jane
♥Rachel♥
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Eva • All Books Considered
Sexy and a lot of fun!
Jane Stewart
I wanted to buy the audiobook but the narrator Brenda Sweeney is terrible. There were many complaints on Audible about her and her breaths were annoying. My review of the paperback is below.

Fun, good story. Warrior-type saves smart, feisty, troublesome heroine - danger, suspense and love.

Setting is current day Central American jungle with former CIA-type agent. Sexual language: moderate. Number of sex scenes: eight or more. Copyright: 1986. Genre: romantic suspense.

CAUTION SPOILER:
When the two w
Jacqueline J
Just as lovely the second time around. Love this story. I am particularly fond of running through the jungle stories and this one is great. The alpha male all set to rescue the society princess but she is already in the process of rescuing herself. She's odd and quirky and smart but not hard and smart alecky. Moves fast, well written and well plotted. The hero and heroine spend almost the whole book on the page together. It had almost that old madcap comedy movie feel without being in anyway ove ...more
Chitra *CJ*
"Midnight Rainbow" is the story of Jane and Grant.
When heiress Jane Greer is kidnapped and suspected of espionage, her father hires the famous government secret agent Grant Sullivan as the man to rescue her.
Grant thinks of Jane as the airheaded man-eating bimbo, but within moments of meeting her- realizes how mistaken he was, something that is proven yet again by her resourcefulness throughout the journey..
It was a pleasant read. The couple survives in the wild, fighting against nature and initi
Addie H
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Meet Grant – secret agent asshat.

- He looked like a lean, mean, fighting machine, every hard, muscled inch of him.

- He was clad in tiger-striped camouflage fatigues, and he wore the trappings of war.

description

Me thinks he is not quite right in the head.

- He realized that he was fondling his knife, his long, lean fingers sliding over the deadly blade with a lover's touch, and he shoved it into its sheath.

description

Meet Jane (also called Pris and Priscilla).

- She was a mass of contradictions. She was a jet-setter, s
Linda
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Die-Hard Linda Howard Fans, Lovers of the Uber Alpha Genre

MIDNIGHT RAINBOW is the first of four books by Linda Howard about the U.S. government's most effective agents. Grant Sullivan thought he had permanently retired to a farm in Tennessee when he got called back to save a woman in Costa Rica. Under the impression that she was a spoiled bimbo, he was going to say no until he found out there was more involved than a simple extraction. The security of the United States was at stake.

Grant was an uber-alpha loner. Many who knew this former soldi
Sometime
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
Loved this! Grant is a hardened ex-military fighting machine. (He fought in Vietnam) He is hired to rescue Jane who turns out to be nothing like he imagined. She's smart, sweet and feisty. They must race through the Costa Rican jungles to escape the bad guys. There is some Insta-love but I didn't mind at all. Linda Howard's writing is excellent as always. The suspense plot was tight and the romance was sexy and satisfying.

Safety(view spoiler)
Cheri
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one. Tons of action!
Zeek
Initially this story starts off with a bit of Pride and Prejudice, in that Grant Sulliavn, ex-military who’s specialty was jungle warfare, is prejudiced against Pricilla Jane Hamilton Greer from the facade of a spoiled selfish society girl she’s wrapped around her life. But Jane, is not who she portrays and she knows exactly what she’s doing- ie getting the hidden secret microfilm (microfilm- yeah that’s how old this book is) and getting the hell out of Costa Rica ASAP. If her pride keeps her fr ...more
Crista
This is one of my favorite of Linda Howard's "oldies but goodies"! Linda Howard is perhaps best known for her MacKenzie series, but for my money, this series is her best.

Here's the order to read them in:
Midnight Rainbow
Diamond Bay
Heartbreaker
White Lies

Midnight Rainbow begins this awesome romantic suspense series as Grant Sullivan is hired to rescue Jane Greer from a compound deep in a South American jungle. I love a good jungle romance, and they don't get any better than this! With Linda Howard'
Hasnamezied
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing 4.5 Stars.

Another great book for the talented Linda Howard. The chemistry between Grant and Jane was one of the best I read.

Definitely a favorite.
Holly
After a discussion on Twitter last week, I decided I need to re-read this again. It was just as satisfying this time around. Howard is definitely one of the few who can stand the test of time.

It has been so long since I read this book I didn't remember most of the details. I enjoyed it, though of course I had to take the time period into account and give some leeway to the characters.

Jane is such a different woman. She constantly surprises Grant, blowing his preconceived notions to hell again a
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I really enjoyed this book. It's a bit of a shorty, but the bulk of it takes place over only a few days, so it was just right. Great hero and I loved the heroine who was feisty and smart. Gotta love a heroine who says of an already in love but gun shy hero, "I'm going to chase that man like he's never been chased before." Love it!
Ira
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I like the H and h, why 3.5 stars then?
The almost all jungle adventure story setting is really not my cup a tea...
D.G.
**3.5 stars**

This was one of those narrations that detracted from the book but wasn't so horrible that made me stop listening.

The plot itself was good...surprisingly not as dated even though it was written in 1985, but then, they spent a lot of time in the jungle. Grant was one of those quietly tortured heroes and Jane was the type of person that finds joy in the most unexpected of situations. She wasn't ditzy per se, just a person who really thought differently - she would react to things in re
Pamela(AllHoney)
An earlier work of Ms Howard. Grant Sullivan is sent to the Costa Rican jungle to find and rescue Jane Hamilton Greer. They start out with a love-hate relationship that quickly turns to something else. Lots of jungle action and most of the story is "on the run" but it was a good solid read.
Paraphrodite
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2017
4 stars.

This is vintage Linda Howard romantic suspense. One of the reasons why Ms Howard used to be one of my must-buy authors. Her RS novels were fabulous, a pity I have been disappointed with her recent offerings.

The tale maybe a bit dated now with its reference to the Vietnam war and public phone queues at the mall but packs enough action and romance to satisfy the reader.

The only quibble I have with this audio version is the baby-girl voice given to Jane, our heroine. Just seems a bit too m
*The Angry Reader*
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
LH perfection. Growly, damaged, alpha-bad-ass. Feisty underestimated woman. Jungle. Action. At one point he was such a stubborn dumbass. Then it was all swooooooooon. Lurve.
  • Amazon Lily
  • The Soldier and the Baby
  • River of Eden
  • Fade To Midnight (McClouds & Friends, #7)
  • Midnight Angel (Midnight, #3)
  • Breaking Point (I-Team, #5)
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Night Magic
  • Into the Dark (The Bodyguards, #6)
  • Blade's Lady

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance

Rescues (4 books)
  • Diamond Bay (Rescues, #2)
  • Heartbreaker (Rescues, #3)
  • White Lies (Rescues, #4)