Start by marking “Behold, I Shine: Narratives of Kashmir's Women and Children” as Want to Read:
Behold, I Shine: Narratives of Kashmir's Women and Children

Behold, I Shine: Narratives of Kashmir's Women and Children

Set in the once-fabled land of Kashmir, Behold, I Shine moves beyond male voices and focuses, instead, on what the struggle means for the Valley’s women and children—those whose husbands remain untraceable; whose mothers are half-widows; those who have confronted the wrath of ‘Ikhwanis’, or the scrutiny of men in uniform, and what it means to stand up to it all.

This book a
Published May 1st 2017 by Rupa Publications India

To ask other readers questions about Behold, I Shine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behold, I Shine

Bigsna
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian-authors
I wish this book was more well know and more widely read than it appears to be, even though it is written by a well established journalist who has a significant body of work.
So, I am glad to have chanced upon it during one of my browsing binges on Amazon.

The author seeks to explore the assumption that women in Kashmir have not suffered the brunt of direct violence as much as men have, and in doing so brings out stories and experiences from Kashmiri women, old and young, which tend to be more d
Surabhi Sharma
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
‘Behold, I Shine’ showcase the struggle of women and children of Valley of Kashmir. The book is an attempt to give a voice to the forgotten struggle of half of the population; women and their equal contribution in bringing the peace in the valley. The book also brings to focus on the childhood of the Kashmiri children bound to confined in four walls and grow in between gunfire and curfews and seeing a security force check-post on every corner.

The book narrates some of the incidents which shaken
Sayantan Dasgupta
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would recommend this book to the people who are genuinely interested in studying the Kashmir conflict.
Biswanath Banerjee
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
She was in need of urgent medical help-her daughter was shivering from fever. Only a mother can risk her life-letting her out on the deserted road- road that seen wrath of agitators –road that bears the brunt of clash between angry agitator and the security personnel.
Yet-she was out! She had to be out! The nearest hospital was barely a kilometre away. There was curfew imposed on the area-now and then –for the last thirty five days. At some point she had to be out on the road- carrying her feveri
Raksha Bhat
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I think that maybe if women and children were in charge we would get somewhere”so said James Thurber, he was more than right.
Behold I Shine: Narratives of Kashmir's Women and Children by Freny Manecksha gives the reverberating voices of agony and anguish of the Kashmiri women and children a forum in literature, and more importantly it projects their indomitable endurance and fight against all the inhumane atrocities.

An online flash sale and the current scenario of Kashmir led me to this book.
Preethi Kavilikatta
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of the above-average books that I have read so far. I would have rated it a 5, had it not been a tad bit repetitive. But the author/journalist, is true to the demands of her vocation and delves deeper into the subject-matter (which is, an interplay between human rights and feministic perspective on the situation in Kashmir). This book, also wouldn’t qualify to be an eye-opener for someone who is familiar with the gross violations that take place in areas that are subject to military ...more
Privy Trifles
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one book that gave me sleepless nights. No, it isn't scary in the horror way but it is scary because it is the harsh reality of our country which we have been ignoring since so many years.Bringing together real life experiences of women and children in Kashmir, the author has tied them with a thread of hope, grit and determination.

Read whole review at :
Avinash
Jan 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
poorly written book. total misrepresentation of facts. the narrative is fragmented and biased.
Neha
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
3.5
Good introductory read on Kashmir.
Veena
This is my first read from the land known simultaneously as the heaven on earth and the battleground of humanity. This is one of the books that I had intended to read before I visit the place myself. I did get to understand the place but there is nothing in it that I did not know before.

Apart from my travel reading aspirations, this book has not fulfilled much. Let me tell you why in this review of the book.

Cover page
On the cover page is a woman in what looks like an orchard. There are mentions
aman caur
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
“Beautiful” and “conflict zone” – are two descriptions that are synonymous with Kashmir. Through Behold I Shine: Narratives of Kashmir’s Women and Children, author Freny Manecksha compels the audience to look beyond the prism of the “beautiful”, while herself holding on to the thread of conflict to bring out the female voices from within Kashmir. The book explores the ways in which conflict has affected Kashmiri women and children.
The book also traces stories of children during their formative y
Arsh
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read a non fiction after a long time and The one based on the issue of Kashmir, for the first time. It was exceptional.

After a brief explanation of the history of Kashmir, the book keeps bumping in post-90s era.
Writing style of the author was great and keeps the reader engaged throughout the book.
Though, at times I got confused due to the resemblance in each story.

At the end, one feels sad for the situation in which the people (especially women) of Kashmir are but also applauds their resilience.
Neha Singh
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This might be a surprise, but it was Chetan Bhagat's "Room No. 105" which made me read books written on J&K. While "Behold.." has a decent collection of stories portraying the hardships of the Kashimiri women, what they lack is a sense of clear understanding. It is very convenient to be biased and portray just one part of the story. And, while I do not deny the hardships of the Kashmiri women ( I seriously thank my stars for not being one of them), what is appaling is the one-sided view this ...more
Yash Sharma
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kashmir is the real test of secularism in India.
- Mahatma Gandhi
--------------------------------------------------
Behold, I shine, narratives of Kashmirs women and children, is the stories of those fifty percent of the population, which generally remains hidden from the general public, and especially when someone is living in a land which is under 24 x 7 surveillance.
----------------------------------------------------
THE stories in this book is almost same of all the kashmiri women the Author
Keerthi Purushothaman