Start by marking “Makeup: The Ultimate Guide” as Want to Read:
Makeup: The Ultimate Guide

Makeup: The Ultimate Guide

This guide to makeup has clear step-by-step instructions and includes what to buy, how to apply it and looks for every occasion. Rae also reveals all the tricks, techniques and trade secrets, including which eye shadow colours work best and how to contour and highlight your face.
Published June 1st 2008 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Makeup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Makeup

Start your review of Makeup: The Ultimate Guide
Janelle Dazzlepants
I saw this book released in Australia a while ago, and wanted to look at it then never got around to it. Then I rediscovered my love for makeup a few months ago, and after seeing a Youtuber mention it, that was the tipping point for me. I'd read a million beauty blogs, watched a lot of beauty videos, and bought a whole lot of makeup, but there's just something about seeing the work of a top makeup artist, and hearing tips and tricks straight from them that's so inspirational and really credible. ...more
Lesr Kew
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So amazing i will buy it.
Zoe
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: makeup-books
A really good creative book. Rae Morris is currently one of my favorite makeup artist and publishers. Her books not only speak about basic makeup but also gives you that creative side of makeup. If you are looking for a good makeup books then you might skip this one. This book is for people that already get makeup and want to work on the creative side
Jane
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Beautiful imagery in this book. For a complete makeup novice this would be an interesting read but for myself being a make-up artist it didn't teach me anything new, but that's what I expected though from these make-up books. They are more of a decorative item than a book to me.
Kath
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I had to give this book fewer stars because while the make-ups and make-up advice are brilliant (although in at least one place she doesn't follow her own advice!) the skincare advice is frankly shocking. Please, never ever put baking soda on your skin. It has a super high pH and will destroy your acid mantle.
Oxana Udodova
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Местами полезно
TheIMakeupMaven
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for anyone working in the beauty industry.
Laura Ross
Aug 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
I expected so much out of this book. The images were overly altered, which made it hard to see detail. The models were heavily powdered and their skin looked cakey and dry. Most of the looks were extreme and theatrical. I was very disappointed, because I expected to get a lot more use out of this book. It didn't give me anything that I could integrate into my current routine.
Rachel
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a makeup book that is genuinely insightful and easy to understand. I have read numerous makeup books that offer little originality or creativity as well as having hard makeup tutorials to understand/follow. But this book is brilliant. Fun to read, easy tips to try on yourself or others (and handy too), plus the photography is exceptional. I would definitely recommend it!
Elise
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Definitely worth a read to get a sense of the basics, but a lot of the makeup looks featured are just too much for every day use (which is what I was hoping to expand). I wanted to add to my every day routine but didn't really find a whole lot to walk away with. This is better for special events, etc.
Rori Rockman
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some beautiful looks and great tips on makeup. My only complaint is that a lot of the looks are very dramatic, and I would have liked a few more looks that I would actually be inclined to try out without needing to wait for some kind of special occasion.
Michelle
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Read quite a few rave reviews so I got a copy for myself. Must say it is informative and they do include quite a lot of new ideas. Now, if only I can be diligent or adventurous enough to try out some of the techniques.
Kimberley
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book to learn the basics of applying makeup as well as more advanced techniques. Each look is set out as step by step with a photo for each step as well as a beautiful A4 photo of the finished look. A great book to buy if you want to learn new makeup looks and techniques.
Karen
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: makeup, beauty, cosmetics
A lovely, informative book with gorgeous photos. I got some nice tips from reading it and bought an eyelash curler. My quibble is that many of the eye makeup looks are OTT and unusable. Also, some of the photos are "artsy" shots of a model with dirt all over her face. This was a bit jarring.
Gini
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every person who dreams of becoming a makeup artist needs to have or read this book! She explains everything so clearly and concisely. I love the story of her beginnings in makeup artistry. I whole heartedly recommend this book. It's even great for those who just want to do their makeup better.
Callum Gough
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great insight into the make up world. Shes an amazing artist.
Alyssa Cooper
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love this book! As a studying makeup artist it opens the eyes to more daring designs
Gabrielle
Sep 27, 2010 is currently reading it
Great tips and looks that made me go buy some make up that same day. Only thing that missing you don't what brand of makeup she used. Other than that it a must on my book shelf now.
Vina
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
It tells me how to do make up properly...
Ellen
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book with very good tips!
Stephanie Salonrouge
What an inspiration! Amazing pictures, Great Makeup! easy to follow to recreate these looks!
Catherine brown
Amber
Nov 15, 2010

• Face Paint: The Story of Makeup
  • Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro
  • About Face: Amazing Transformations Using the Secrets of the Top Celebrity Makeup Artist
  • Parisian Chic: A Style Guide
  • Marilyn
  • Stig of the Dump
  • Face Forward
  • Making Faces
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • Paris Street Style
  • The Makeup Artist Handbook: Techniques for Film, Television, Photography, and Theatre
  • Pretty Honest