Start by marking “The Beta Mum, Adventures in Alpha-Land” as Want to Read:
The Beta Mum, Adventures in Alpha-Land

The Beta Mum, Adventures in Alpha-Land

Here, it isn't the battle of who has the Rolls-Royce of strollers...these children actually roll in Rolls-Royces!

When 33-year-old Sophie Bennett moves from a sleepy suburb of Toronto to glitzy West London, she doesn't know where she has landed, Venus or Mars. By a stroke of good luck, her three-year-old daughter Kaya attends Cherry Blossoms Nursery, the most exclusive nur
Paperback, 1st, 232 pages
Published June 20th 2017 by Silverwood (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Beta Mum, Adventures in Alpha-Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beta Mum, Adventures in Alpha-Land

Start your review of The Beta Mum, Adventures in Alpha-Land
Nicola
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably didn't read this with quite the same perspective as someone who is a full-time parent because here's the thing: I have no kids, not of my own. Instead, when me and the hubs got together, I instantly inherited two small people who were able to walk, talk, wipe their own bums and understand that me staring at them over the top of my glasses was not a good sign. And I never did a school run.

"It reminds me of the “popular girls” who looked at me with a lack of interest during lunch, a
Many thanks to the author: Isabella Davidson for providing an electronic copy of The Beta Mum, Adventures in Alpha-Land in exchange for an honest review.

Keep an eye on blogger and new author: Isabella Davidson! Her debut novel: The Beta Mum, Adventures in Alpha-Land is funny, relevant, entertaining, a bit suspenseful, and very reminiscent of Sophie Kinsella and Liane Moriarty's love child...if they were to ever have one...you know, in chick-lit land.

Bullying doesn't stop at childhood. The socia
Bookread2day
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this fictional story that has a gallery of fascinating super rich mums. The Alpha Women are beautiful. The Alpha Men are rich and powerful. The Alpha children are bright. It's a war who has the cleverest children, the biggest house. Sophie Bennett is living in the shadows of the Alpha. I wonder how long can she last. Do you think you could handle it? Sophie is offered a new in London with a salary that she could never get in Canada. The flat they rented in London was full of worn furnitu ...more
Ana
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"...it seemed like I was the one who taken the wrong tailwind and found myself in an alternate reality where everyone was beautiful, stylish and rich, and I was the frog at the princess ball." (pág. 18)

Isabella Davidson describes in a very entertaining way the daily life of a "normal" mother in an exclusive London nursery, "Alpha Land". In this place all the parents have successful careers, are super rich and look like supermodels. There is always a competition to know who has the biggest house
Susan Hampson
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-reads
I loved this all round super funny entertaining book about modern-day family life of the rich and famous which is set around the mums and occasionally the dads at a London nursery. Sophie, Michael and three-year old Kaya had recently moved from Oakville, Toronto to London, which has put Michael further up the ladder of success but left Sophie still looking for work and rather a lot of time on her hands.
Cherry Blossoms Nursery is a place that prides itself on keeping the prying eyes of reporters
Chantelle Hazelden
Well what can I say? Honestly I loved it. From start to finish this book is funny and relatable (even if you don't write a blog).

I think most of us mums are no stranger to the unwelcoming mummy clique at the school gates, you end up feeling like you're back at school yourself sometimes and this can only be made harder when you aren't it a place that you would necessarily call home.

"I am the first person to know that not only do sticks and stones hurt, but words can hurt too."

So how do you get o
Aisha
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed The Beta Mum. It's both funny and intriguing. What's more, I can envision this happening in real life! I thought the conclusion was well written too.
Elle
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pretty excited about this book as soon as I heard about it. A new city, rivalry, anonymous blogging...it seemed like a promising debut!

When her husband lands a job opportunity that's hard to turn down, Sophie Bennett begins to prepare the family's big move from Toronto to London. Moving to a new city is hard enough, but heading to a new city halfway across the globe is even more difficult - especially when there's Sophie's four-year-old daughter Kaya's schooling to consider.

Luckily, Michae
Nadine
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sophie’s gloom started weighing me down

Sophie moves to London, from Oakville, Canada, together with her husband and three-year-old daughter. She finds it hard to make new friends and dreads the move. Once in London, the story is mainly about Sophie’s struggle with the Alpha Mums at the nursery. It’s also about the joys (and dangers) of writing a blog.

I found it easy to relate to Sophie, being on the shy side myself. But Sophie went on a bit too much about being miserable. I got to a point where
Kelly (purplebookstand)
The Beta Mum: Adventures in Alpha Land

What can I say? I absolutely LOVED this book!

Sophie Bennett has moved to London from Canada and is finding it hard. Her daughter goes to an exclusive nursery and despite numerous attempts, she's finding it hard to make friends and fit in. It could be because they all seem to be 'Alpha Mums'. Models, celebrities, super rich...is Sophie out of her depth? She decides to start a blog chronicling her journey in Alpha Land, she keeps it anonymous until one drunke
Molly
Special message brought to you by the FCC: I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Sophie, our protagonist, seems like a nice enough person. It's easy to relate to her loneliness and frustration and finding herself in a fish-out-of-water situation, suddenly surrounded by celebrity and supermodel moms in London as a result of her husband's new job opportunity. As Sophie struggles to fit in among the Alpha-Moms of Cherry Blossoms Nursery, she turns to blogging in the hopes that it will help her fe
yorkshirebooknerd
Kaci Frame
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was funny and observant, and I really empathized with Sophie and her plight. I think this book serves as a good reminder that while it's easy to judge others, you just never know what they are going through. Oftentimes, the people who put on the biggest show of having the perfect life have the most turmoil going on behind the scenes; be happy with what you have and try not to worry about everyone else.

Isabella Davidson has some really good insights into marriage af
LoveHexe
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine
I'm one of the lucky winners of the giveaway and when I received the book last week I was really happy so I started reading it even though I didnt have a lot of time.

I loved the book. I expected something funny and I was not disappointed but there were also a lot of deep moments that left you thinking. I'm young and I dont have kids or plan to but I still could relate with Sophie. I found some of the alpha moms really fascinating and I would love know more about them. I totally recommend it!

I'm
Ariel C
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elna Smith
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the very first novel I've read in 24 hours.  Yes, all 234 pages in one day.  I hardly ever read fiction nowadays (mainly because I prefer history and biography), but I simply couldn't put it down till I turned to the last page.

The story revolves around Sophie and her life in Alpha Land; she reluctantly moved to London from Canada with her husband Michael and three-year old daughter Kaya.  Michael had to work long hours leaving his wife and toddler by themselves which made Sophie very lo
booksofallkinds
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE BETA MUM ADVENTURES IN ALPHA LAND by Isabella Davidson is hilariously witty, engaging, and compelling, and is definitely a must-read for mums around the world.

Meet Sophie Bennett. In her early thirties, she is happy living in Canada with her loving husband Michael, and her little girl Kaya. Insecure as a teenager, she is now more comfortable in her skin and content with her family and friends. But when Michael gets a job offer that he cannot turn down, Sophie finds herself transported to Lon
Marie
Review to come
Nia Ireland
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was stunningly well written and had me hooked from the get-go. Sophie, a very 'normal' and middle of the road type of woman suddenly finds herself moving from her cosy home in Canada where she has a place carved for herself in the world, to the posh end of London where toddlers have tutors and bodyguards.

These Alpha-mum escapades are really entertaining to read from the perspective of Sophie's blog, but there's a tinge of alarm when you realise that there really are people out there wh
Nilay Mustafa
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
An entertaining, funny and delightful book. A fascinating alternative to the combination of Bridget Jones Diary and Bad Moms.

I really loved this book. As a single person I can say you don't need to be married or have kids to enjoy this story.

'Was this a case of the emperor's new clothes, and was I the only one who had clothes on?'

The protagonist is so realistic and relatable. I mean who hasn't felt like an 'outsider' at some point in their lives. Plus it's great to read a character who isn't se
Heather
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was offered a copy of this to read pre-release I thought why not, and I'm glad that I did!

When Sophie moves to London, from Canada, with her husband in the pursuit of his career little does she know how life was going to turn out for her and their daughter Kaya. Taken away from everything she knows, her friends and her family Sophie finds herself as an outsider, a Beta mum in the land of the Alpha's!

After struggling to make friends at the school gates, and finding herself of the receiving
Lisa
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway, thank you. It tells the story of a mum struggling with a move to a new country and new nursery for her daughter. I found the book a little slow at first but it became more amusing as it progressed. I'm sure many people will identify with the situations written about.
Cas
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What worked as a blog is not so successful as a full length novel. The characterisation is more like caricature, and I didn't care about any of the main players. Over-extended, false in feel and too often comes across as being written by someone who needs help for her depression.
Anita
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could picture it all as we used to live in Notting Hill : )
Veronika Sokolova
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun short read if you live in West London and getting ready/ is part of the described community.
Jo Barton
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow
NormaCenva
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Very nice, light-feeling read. Great for commutes!
Lisa
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the Beta Mum, it was one of those wonderful books that you felt as if you knew the characters personally, in fact, they could have quite easily stepped straight out of my world and into the pages of this book.

Sophie was immediately likeable and I could relate to her. I think most of us have at some time in our life felt like Sophie did, lonely and isolated. The blog was her lifeline and it literally did save her. The Beta Mum shows you a glimpse of how addictive and all consumin
Sara
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed for Chick Lit Central (www.chicklitcentral.com)

I could totally relate to Sophie. While I've never made a move to London, and I don’t find myself surrounded by semi-famous, glamorous mothers, I feel as though I’m still trying to find my niche after moving to Arizona, particularly when it comes to making new friends. And just like Sophie, I’m not quite sure how to fit myself inside the close-knit groups of women that stand outside the school doors, either dropping off or pickin
Rosie Amber
The Beta Mum: Adventures In Alpha Land is contemporary women’s fiction about a set of competitive mothers from West London.

Sophie and Michael relocate to London with their young daughter Kaya. Using the services of a London nursery consultant, they secure a place for their daughter at Cherry Blossoms, one of the finest nurseries in the area. On the first day of term Sophie faces a high powered group of 'yummy mummies'.

Attempts to make friends and fit in fall flat, and, with Michael working long
« previous 1 3 next »

• Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • Всё о Манюне (Манюня, #1-3)
  • Mister Pip
  • Why Mummy Swears
Isabella Davidson is the author of the popular blog, Notting Hill Yummy Mummy, which chronicles the entertaining lives of west London residents. Through the blog she has written features for The Times, The Saturday Times Magazine, Corner Magazine, and has been interviewed by Financial Times, Harper's Bazaar, The Spectator, The Times and many more.

She started The Beta Mum during the six-month Fabe