Start by marking “Titan: Fortune of War (Star Trek)” as Want to Read:
Titan: Fortune of War (Star Trek)

Titan: Fortune of War

(Star Trek: Titan)

An original spin-off novel set in the popular Star Trek: The Next Generation universe from New York Times bestselling author David Mack.

Death slumbers in the ashes of silent planets, waiting to be awakened and unleashed…

Twenty years have passed since the interstellar scourge known as the Husnock were exterminated without warning by a being with godlike abilities. Left behi
Published November 28th 2017 by Pocket Books

Daniel Kukwa
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
As a balls to the wall action/adventure -- and a long-time-in-coming sequel to a TNG episode -- this certainly works, and hardly ever pauses for breath. My only issue is that I'm not enamored with much of the supporting cast; they didn't manage to grab hold of my attention, and their fairly quick disposal (and replacement by the much more formidable Breen) is a plus in my estimation. But this minor complaint aside, it certainly seems that David Mack as been on fire lately. The conclusion has me ...more
Aron
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: st-titan
As expected David Mack turned out another high quality ST story. Over the years Mack has really done a lot with the Breen & it's always fun to see what he does next. Also getting to see Riker continuing to adjust to come into his own as an Admiral was cool. The story itself was very good, it's a neat continuation of an interesting TNG episode. Highly recommend!
Tariq Mahmood
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
A great read for any Star Trek fan, a real page-turner. Though I didn't really like the end but the story right until the end kept me completely captivated. I love way various racial features are discussed with abundance, and all the fear or fight decisions taken by the Federation commanders against all odds.
Andrew
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers ahead - A lot happens in this book despite the fact that almost no progress was made for 20 years while the federation research team studied Husnock technology. The Pakled, Orions and Breen sweep in and figure out how to get Husnock ships and a station up and running in no time. Meanwhile the federation can't even decrypt their language after 20 years? Pretty unbelievable - I've watched tv episodes and read books where the "universal translator" started picking up the language after hea ...more
Christopher
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fate's Lady
Dec 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I'm halfway and I'm bored. This is supposed to be some high stakes race to a super weapon, but I don't feel any interest or sympathy for any of the characters except maybe one of the Ferengi... but there are two of them and I can't tell them apart based just on the writing, so it makes it hard to care. Aside from just not being interested in practically anyone, there's some random side character with serious gross misogyny issues and another (or is it the same guy? See what I mean?) who tells a ...more
J
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans
Fortune of War is the latest novel following the continuing stories of, now-Admiral, William Riker. On the edge of explored space the ruins of a vast, powerful, and technologically dangerous civilization have been found. What comes next is a race to claim its powerful technology and industry against shadowy forces. A race where the loser could be wiped out.

I liked the motivations from each of the major players involved. Complete with how far each are willing to go and how some, confronted with t
Paul Lunger
The first standalone Titan novel in a while, David Mack's "Fortune of War", is a follow-up to TNG's "The Survivors". The basic premise around the novel at the beginning is the discovery of a way into the Husnock technology to finally learn the secrets of the race. An attack on that planet; however, reveals a revolt w/in the Nausicaans which is quickly brushed over when that group is wiped out by an attack from the Breen. It's against this backdrop that the Titan along w/ the USS Canterbury & ...more
Maurice Jr.
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captain Christine Vale faces the toughest challenge of her brand new command- yet another threat from Admiral Riker's past. Twenty years ago as first officer of the Enterprise, then Commander Riker encountered a powerful being calling itself a Dowd masquerading as a human named Kevin Uxbridge. A savage race called the Husnock attacked the planet where Kevin and Rishon had settled and massacred everyone living there. For love of his wife Rishon, Kevin committed genocide on the Husnock race.

The Hu
Michael
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
There is a ton of action in this one, lots of characters we have loved for years or grown to like from the Titan books, but not enough Riker. This is more a Vale as Captain story. That's fine, and the book is good as you can see from my 4 star rating, but I want more Riker and Troi.

That said, this one has the Titan fighting for its life against the overpowered Breen and a super powered race from a TNG episode with a cache of weapons and warships that the Federation somehow did not find in 20 yea
Martín Pérez
I've enjoyed David Mack's Bashir/Section 31 novels, and his wife exploration of the Breen is very interesting, but this novel didn't do the trick as a Titan book. Past Titan novels by other authors have focused on the crew and its interactions, even when there was a large-scale crisis at hand.

To me, it seems that this book treats the Titan characters, except for two or three, as mere set pieces, or extras. Furthermore, the crisis is purely military (with a small measure of science sprinkled here
Terje Fokstuen
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
David Mack writes good Star Trek novels. Titan: Fortune of War is based on the ST:TNG episode "the survivors" where the Enterprise finds evidence of the disappearance of a entire race of advanced beings, the Husnock.

In this novel, a Star Trek xeno archeologist team is investigating a Husnock site, and finds something resembling a Husnock "rosetta" stone which allows them to read Husnock. A crew of Nausicaan freedom fighters (terrorists) kidnap four members of the xeno team to gain access to the
Maurice Jr.
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
20 years ago, Commander Will Riker and the crew of the Enterprise encountered a Douwd, a powerful energy being masquerading as a man named Kevin Uxbridge. He lived peacefully with his wife Rishon until a marauding race, the Husnock, attacked their planet and killed everyone on it except for "Kevin." The Douwd snapped and committed instantaneous genocide on the Husnock.

Now, Admiral Riker is tasked with finding out what happened to a Federation scientific group studying a Husnock colony they foun
Ron Turner
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disappointing sequel to the TNG episode "The Survivors."

The Duowd was able to wipe out an entire species of fifty billion people with a single thought but there's no follow-up for that. Why didn't the Federation go back to him to ask for help with the Dominion or Borg? Where did his species come from? Are they familiar with Q?

The Husnock were described as a "hideous intelligence" but we never get a sense of what exactly that meant. Instead it's just a caper story. Nausicaans, Orions, Ferengi,
R. S.
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect follow up book to TNG's "The Survivors."

The Husnock were a military race, that made the mistake of conquering Delta Rana IV. Unfortunately for them, one of the inhabitants was a Douwd, a powerful GOd-like being who killed all the Husnock instantly throughout the galaxy.

20 years later, Admiral Riker is leading a task force whose main objective is to prevent the Breen and other races from acquiring Husnock ships and technology.

Its a pretty fast-paced book that throws you right back into
Jimyanni
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I have, in general, enjoyed the "Titan" series, and this is one of the best of the lot. Still, I don't think there was enough to interest a general reader (as opposed to an established Star Trek fan) to rate the book at five stars. Even for an established fan, there wasn't enough unique and gripping to keep it from ultimately blending into the background of literally hundreds of Star Trek books read. A month from now, I'll have trouble recognizing the name and remembering what happened in it.
Dan
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: titan, star-trek
A fun adventure that uses events of the TNG series to great advantage in crafting a fascinating follow-up. Fast-paced and exciting, while at the same time featuring some great character moments and explorations of the relationships in Titan. Here's hoping we get a continuation of Star Trek: Titan someday!

Full review (video): https://youtu.be/VH0hzDvsULQ
Kieran McAndrew
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Admiral Riker and his fleet are dispatched to locate the Husnock Empire, destroyed by a Dowd during the early years of the 'Enterprise's' mission.

The Federation are racing against the Orion Syndicate, the Breen, the Nausicaans and the Ferengi to capture weapons of unspeakable power.

A well written, fast paced novel which underpins Riker's values as an officer.
Brian Stuhr
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
David Mack doesn't write a bad book. back in the 80s & early 90s, you always knew a Peter David Star Trek book would be a good read. Mr. Mack has done the same with his ST novels!
This one is no exception. For those wanting more post-Voyager Trek, this is it!
Now, get 'The Midnight Front' - not Trek, but a whole new take on WWII history.
Paul Clark
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Typical Star Trek Fare

This has the typical threat to the universe plot. It is full of macguffins, action, and no break for levity. Mack's prose is on point with other writers of this genre.

Terry
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another Good Book

I always enjoy the opportunity to read a book from David Mack. The book was well paced and enjoyable. I always like short chapters, makes pacing my reading much easier.
Apostolos
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pretty interesting adventure. I had completely forgotten about the Husnock and needed to look them up on Memory Alpha. In many respects it reminded me a lot of the hunt for alteran tech in stargate.
Michael
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good tale and strong story to continue the Star Trek legacy.
Linda Farsi
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed

I enjoyed the book ,it was a slow start but once it got going it was fast paced. Can’t wait for more
Maria Whitehorn
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story

Great story, surprising ending but battle at husnock planet could have had a bit more details as it seemed rushed at times
Christian
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good, if you can look past the completely insane babbling about how the Federation can’t handle weapons like the Husnock’s.
Uly Ramos
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was awesome

I loved it and I would recommend this book and this series I think is great and terrific and I got into every book
Stephen Layne Johns
Awesome! Had me pacing the room as I read it. Great characters and suspenseful exciting ending
Stephen
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good standalone story with lots of great twists and good battle scenes, which has been rare in the Titan series. Not much in the way of old faves from previous series/Titan books.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book cover 2 14 Sep 26, 2017 01:06PM
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Hearts and Minds
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Patterns of Interference (Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation #5)
  • Original Sin
  • Architects of Infinity
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)
  • The Light Fantastic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Star Trek: SCE: Wounds (Star Trek: Sce)
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans on Fac