Start by marking “By the Book” as Want to Read:

By the Book

An M/M gay romance.

ebook
Published June 14th 2017 by self

To ask other readers questions about By the Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By the Book

Coco.V
Jul 13, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
💝FREE on Amazon today (7/13/2018)!💝

Blurb:
Joshua Dayton met the man of his dreams as a sophomore in high school—his mentor and biology teacher, Mr. Cayden. Fearing his love would be considered forbidden and rejected, he ran away to college, determined to move on and forget. Three years later, he is summoned home and comes face to face with the man he tried to leave in the past. The same man he never stopped loving.

Samuel Cayden was looking for a fresh start and an escape. What he was not expecti
Jaime
May 28, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
No, no... just, no. I really can't get into this book. DNF and at this point if I kept going and rated, looking at a 1.5 star .. maybe. Going to just "not rate" and hope a lot is changed prior to publication.

Choppy, undeveloped characters, conflict that makes no sesnse...

Made it to 60%
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
DepictonFiction
DNF=1 star
After 38% I started skipping and at 50% Stopped with this book. I couldn't imagine what came next and at that point I couldn't care less
Candice
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, kindle-unlimited
It's too bad I don't have a shelf called "bratty child", because that's what Josh is. He has anger issues, too. He snappy, quick to assume, he yells all the time. He's trying to tell his mother he's an adult while at the same time he's acting like a bratty child. UGH! I have no idea what Sam saw in him. I skimmed quite a bit, because I couldn't take it any more.
Jara Beaubien
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost lets all remember that love is love and that it does not care about who you are or what you look like, all it does is swoops in, disregards everything and all that matters is that you are with the one you love.
Joshua Dayton met the man of his dreams while still in high school, as always an ugly little monster managed to infiltrate his life making him afraid that it would be a forbidden love and that he would be rejected.
Yet live has a strange way in making things right in her
Line
Jul 13, 2018 marked it as probably-not-but-freebie  ·  review of another edition
Freebie at amazon.com right now: https://smile.amazon.com/Book-Maria-V...
EskieMama & Dragon Lady Reads
Yet live has a strange way in making things right in her
Socially Book Nerd
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first official review, kind of like a blank slate, lots of pressure :)
M/M Romance between high school teacher Sam and his ex-student Josh, Josh has been away for 3 years at college he's grown up now, mature. not the awkward high school boy he once was. But, the only thing that hasn't changed is his love for His ex teacher Sam. When Josh returns home Sam notices right way that Josh has changed, but, still the young man he fell in love with. Now it's sort of safe for him to act on his feeling
*~*~Fawkes, Padfoot, and Prongs~*~*
Borrowed on Kindle Unlimited. Soooooo glad I didn't buy this!!!

Josh (one of the MCs) was bratty and had an attitude problem. His mom was a fucking bitch. And there was conflict here that was ridiculously contrived, out of the blue, and fucking mind boggling.

The characters were very very poorly developed (to say they were underdeveloped would be a gross understatement), and the book was all over the place. Also, the writing just grated on my nerves!!!

I cannot recommend this book whatsoever!! Ugh
meep
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Started reading it and sadly couldnot finish it however i gave it 3 stars because the subject matter was good and i liked the charater. maybe i didnt finish it just because of my current mood but i will be trying to read it again soon!!!!
Tania Gray
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. It is a story about love,friendship,trust and hardship. You will fall in love with Sam and Josh!!!
Rosie Chapel
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maria Vickers is fast becoming one of my favourite authors! I was riveted by her 'Love Seekers' novels and have been intrigued to read By the Book. This is only my second MM romance (the first was a Regency novella), so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I don't know why I was worried - Maria, as ever, has produced a superb novel.

Josh has loved Sam for a long time, but Sam was his teacher, so whether or not the affection was mutual was immaterial - he was forbidden territory. Until graduation.
K
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Josh Dayton has been in love with Sam Cayden for a long time but when he realized he was falling for his 'then' biology teacher, he knew it wasn't the right time to say or act on his feelings. Considering there is a fourteen-year age difference between them Josh assumed his feelings would never be returned so he rushed off to college—in another state—planning to never look back.

During the set up of the story, we learn the struggles Josh has suffered losing his father—the most prominent parent i
Courtney
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for a student/teacher story. Even though this book takes place 3 years after Josh was a high school student, there's still a slight element of taboo when you think about a kid falling for their biology teacher. I'm glad that there was a 3-year gap, honestly - a 21-year-old and a 35-year-old is a little more understandable than an 18-year-old and a 32-year-old. But I digress.

Josh and Sam had SMOKING chemistry. They didn't spend TOO long pining for each other during the story (not cou
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
4 stars

This is a sweet story by Maria Vickers with characters that captured my heart. The connection between Sam and Josh is so strong from the beginning I couldn’t help but fall in love with them. Their struggles and commitment to each other makes it an emotional story.

The first day they saw each other after years apart was a bit tense, as expected but you could still feel that spark between them. I love how they both blush and snuggle into each other; they’re so cute. There are challenges for
Shannon

While student-teacher romances aren't usually my thing, I liked the premise of this one- student falls for teacher, does nothing about it for years until an unexpected return home and run-in makes them both realize their feelings for each other have never faded. But sadly By the Book left me feeling underwhelmed. It had great potential but there was just not enough character development and I never reached a point where I felt a real connection to Josh or Sam.
They both had some deep, ugly, fami
Lisa
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sweet and heartfelt read.

Josh has always known who he loves: his biology teacher Sam. He also knew he could never do anything about it until he left school. His love was declared in a letter before he left town and he has not been back since. When Josh's mum is taken into hospital, Josh returns home to find Sam helping her out. Josh's feelings for him haven't diminished. In fact absence has made the heart grow even fonder.

This was a reminder that prejudice is still alive and rife in society, w
MJ's Book Blog and Reviews
Review by: Jennifer
(3.5 stars)

Josh receives a call one night that his mother is sick and so decides that he needs to go home and see what's going on. When he gets there he doesn't expect to see Sam, or Mr. Cayden his former teacher and coach. Josh never really expected to see him again, especially after he wrote him that letter telling him that he was in love with him. Things get a bit awkward for the two, until its realized that Sam does have the same feelings for Josh, and they decide to see w
Victoria B
By the Book is about Josh, a 21 year old college student still in love with his high school teacher 35 year old Sam. Neither one acted on said feelings while Josh was Sam student. Jump a head three years and Josh rushes home from college to take care of his "sick" mom and runs into Sam, for the first time since he confessed his feelings in a letter three years prior. The chemistry is still there between them and they can't fight their feeling for each other. While they are trying to get to know ...more
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
By the Book is a story that will give you the warm fuzzies as you pray for Josh and Sam to get together, and to STAY together. This may sound easy, but these two have both families against them. Josh does act immature at times, but he is actually mature enough to realise it! Sam is trying so hard to do the right thing, that he may end up losing the best thing for him.

This is a wonderful story, excellently told, and giving great insight into how family can cause issues even if they are not on the
Chrissi
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
This is an MM romance story.
Josh finally comes out to his dad about his sexuality while he is in highschool. Confessing to his dad that he has fallen in love with Sam, his teacher. Josh's dad asks him to wait before acting on his feelings. When Josh leaves for college, he leaves his heart behind.
Sam has always known he was gay, and after having had enough dealing with his painful family, starts a new life as a teacher at Josh's school.
When Josh returns home to help his sick mum, all his feelin
Angelique du Plessis
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it

Can i start off with the ONLY thing that i did not particularly love about this book, which is the cover. (Literally only the cover)

I don't mind people on the cover but no faces (it messes with my imagination).

Now there are tons of GOOD BITS which I will leave up to the reader to get to because *damn*.

We meet two really conflicted men, one being a former student, Joshua and one being his former teacher, Sam. Not conflicted over their sexuality, but instead their feelings.

Without giving anything
Hanan
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love taboo teacher/student romances. Throw in MM and I couldn't resist not reading By the Book.
Samuel is a teacher in a small town. He lives it there.
Joshua just graduated and Sam was one of his teachers.
The day of graduation Josh hands Sam a letter declaring his love.
Then he leaves for Florida to attend University. Both thinking of the other but that's it.
Now three years later Joshua is heading back to his hometown because his mom is sick.
Josh and Sam finally come face to face again.
Their fee
Marika
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this story, a love story between Joshua, a college student, and Sam, his high school teacher, Sam.
Joshua has always been in love with Sam, but he was still his student, so he cobfessed his feelings then left for college..but 3 years later he is back in town and their meeting proves that there are still feelings.
There are people and prejudices that comes eith their story, and the story progressed quite wuickly even tho it's been in the making for years.
I loved both characters, ev
michelle Shelly
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by this author, I really liked it. I'm a sucker for M/M books. By The Book is a sweet sexy read. I loved the characters Joshua and Sam.

Sam was Joshua high school science teacher. On graduation day Joshua gave Sam a letter telling him his feelings before leaving the state for college. Now three years later he gets a call his Mom is sick and he's needed at home. A place he hasn't returned to since finishing high school. Walking in the door to his childhood home he gets the s
Cassie
Kelly
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading some of the mixed reviews I didn't know what to expect. I'm happy to say that I extremely enjoyed this book. Loved Sam and Josh. There was some drama, but it didn't override the story. Loved that no matter what was thrown at them, whether it was Josh's mom, which she redeemed herself towards the end, or Sams father and brother, they pushed through it, and became stronger because of it.

There was a sort of secondary character, Jacob, that I would love to, hopefully, hear more about
Stacey Lippincott
Beautiful!!!

Truly beautiful love story!!!! Josh has known since he was a teen that he loved Sam. Not just a crush and not just a little bit, loved him with his whole heart. Sam knew he loved Josh but always thought it was wrong because he was so much younger. Three years separated didn't change the love that either of them felt and when they finally gave in, the love was overflowing. These two,were clearly made for each other and I would love to have a bit more of their story, hint hint.
Megan Hubble-Roney
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid four star read.

The first book by Vickers for me. I enjoyed Josh and Sam, seeing them reconnect, realizing that they were both older, wiser and new what they each wanted. Seeing them go after and make it work, despite family issues and miles between them.

I feel like maybe the relationship between Josh and his mom took center stage when it didn't really need to, mostly she just annoyed me until she didn't. That's just me though. I was so angry for Sam though because of the crap his family
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Biker's Dom (The Biker's Pup, #2)
  • Devil's Slave (American Monsters, #1)
  • Caught on Camera: Part One
  • Obsessed #1
  • The Wallbanger (CockTails, #1)
  • Taken by Tentacles (Taken by Tentacles, #1)
  • Furtive Liaison
  • Pendulum (Kingdom of Night, #1)
  • Hot Mess 3 (Hot Mess, #3)
  • Sanctuary (Invicta, #2)
  • Thárros
  • Friday Night Jamie
  • Finding Me (The Music Within, #3)
  • City Slicker at the Horny Goat Ranch
  • Bought (The Fate of the Fallen #1)
  • Theoden (New Haven #0)
  • Solid Education (Higher Learning Book 1)
  • Damon Snow and the Nocturnal Lessons (Damon Snow, #1)
Maria Vickers currently lives in St. Louis, MO with her pug, Spencer Tracy. She has always had a passion for writing and after she became disabled, she decided to use writing as her escape.

Life is about what you make of it. You have to live it to the fullest no matter the circumstances.

From the author:
I have always loved books. Not only creating the stories, but reading them as well. Books transp