Start by marking “The Ice Maiden (Doug Bateman Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ice Maiden (Doug Bateman Mystery, #1)

The Ice Maiden

(Doug Bateman Mystery #1)

A serial killer is abducting, torturing, and murdering young women in a small community in central Maine. Seeming to select his victims at random, he acts out the rituals of the Spanish Inquisition before committing their bodies to the sacred waters of nearby Sebec Lake. Anne Quinn, an investigator for the Piscataquis County sheriff’s office, and Detective Douglas Bateman ...more
Published April 26th 2017 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about The Ice Maiden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ice Maiden

Carrie
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A couple out on a snowmobile ride find a fox in the middle of the frozen lake appearing to be interested in something instead of running off when they approach. Curious as to what holds his attention the couple approach to find what looks to be human remains that the animals have gotten a hold of so they call in the police.

Detective Anne Quinn out of the Piscataquis County sheriff’s office and Detective Douglas Bateman with the Major Crimes Unit of the Maine State Police find themselves teamed
Cheryl
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A seriously enjoyable tale of a vengeance driven serial killer set amidst the beauty of rural central Maine. I loved how the author has set the novel in real places and it was interesting to look at Google Maps to get a feel for the setting. Beautifully paced with a touch of romance to balance out the terror and tragedy, it's a book I thoroughly recommend.
Linda Strong
Detective Doug Bateman and Anne Quinn, investigator for the County Sheriff's office join forces to catch a serial killer. What looks to be a random selection of victims, this killer abducts, tortures, and then he commits their bodies to the local lake.

After their bodies are left in the water, there isn't much left in the way of evidence. Because of the out of way places he chooses and how easily he abducts the women seemingly out of thin air leads Doug and Anne to believe it's someone from the c
Bandit
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If perfectly adequate was a set goal, Smith passes it with flying colors. He takes an intriguing concept of a Spanish Inquisition inspired serial killer and sets it in the naturally creepy Maine and then proceeds to tell the story in a notably uninspired wooden monotone. It's actually almost peculiar enough to be interesting in itself, his narration tends to veer into this over descriptive passages pertaining to nature, geography, objects...but not so much characters, those are fairly stilted an ...more
Elaine Tomasso
I would like to thank Netgalley and Black Rose Writing for a review copy of The Ice Maiden, a police procedural set in Maine.

The body of a young woman is found submerged in the ice. She has been mutilated and tortured using medieval methods. Doug Bateman of the Maine State Police and Anne Quinn of the County sherriff's office investigate what turns out to be a far from straightforward case with few forensic clues, a hidden motive and a rising body count.

I enjoyed The Ice Maiden which has a good
Dianne
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, thriller, suspense
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Is one of history’s darkest times being re-enacted? A serial killer is on the loose in a small town in Maine. As this monster acts out the rituals of the Spanish Inquisition, innocent women are being tortured and murdered. Anne Quinn and Douglas Bateman will team up to dig through the meager clues, sifting through both the ancient religious horrors and clues of the present. They never expected the killer to hit so close to home.

B.D. Smith’s THE ICE MAIDEN gives readers a pano
John
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Good Maine Mystery

This was a good short story based in northern Maine! The killer kills people and uses items from the Spanish Inquisition to hurt then kill them all for revenge. The Maine state trooper and his partner, a Sheriffs investigator are really good together. Thought I Had it figured out but, I was wrong. Very enjoyable
Joyce
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
3 and 1 / 2 stars

Detective Doug Bateman and Anne Quinn partner together to investigate the death of a woman found in the middle of winter in the ice in nearby Sebec Lake in rural Maine. The video feed they obtain shows only someone and the woman dressed in strange clothes walking towards the lake. The woman seems out of it. The “someone’s” face is covered by a long hood-like affair. It’s as if they knew very well that there was a video camera in operation. It suggests that the perpetrator is a l
Mike Cullen
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
The Ice Maidens is a police procedural about a serial killer, murdering young women using the techniques of the Spanish Inquisition. As a concept it intrigued me, however, something got lost between the idea and the execution.

Firstly, the book needs to at least run through Grammarly. I admit grammar isn't my strongest talent but even I know too many commas disrupt the flow of the narrative.

Secondly, every writing course I've ever attended has stressed the 'show don't tell' school of writing. The
Kat Dietrich
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
The Ice Maiden by B.D. Smith is a mystery/thriller.

First, let me thank the publisher Black Rose Writing, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My Synopsis:
Anne Quinn, an investigator for the Piscataquis County sheriff’s office, and Detective Douglas Bateman with the Major Crimes Unit of the Maine State Police join forces to find a sadistic killer. The body of a young woman is found buried head first in frozen Lake Sebec. She had bee
Jennifer Robb
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: Amazon
It's an adequate mystery. The narrative style is a bit distant so I wasn't drawn in to the story as quickly as I have been in other books of this genre. I'm still not sure if the title refers to the women killed and placed in the lake/ice in Maine during winter or if it was meant to be a reference to women with chilly outer demeanors such as Anne Quinn or Beth.

I did suspect the character who turned out to be the killer and that the killer might be involved with others who were part of a certain
Karen Crissinger
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Doug Bateman and Anne Quinn are thrust together in a race against a truly sadistic serial killer. Faced with gory reenactments of ancient ritualistic torture, they must solve the riddles the killer leaves behind without becoming victims themselves. Unfortunately, the killer's madness is very, very personal, and both Doug and Anne will put their lives on the line to stop him.

B.D. Smith brings an obvious love of the Northeastern US to light in this thriller, sprinkling great historical detail and
Martha
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting but really creepy

I haven't spent much time in Maine so can't testify to the accuracy of the geography in the book, but it certainly sounds like the author knows their way around. There's a lot of little details that make you feel like you're right there in the story which is both a good thing and a not so good thing. It's good because you feel like you're right there seeing everything just as the main characters see it.

The main characters are pretty well developed and you get a dece
T'ana
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sometimes when you get a book for free you can't expect much. This was one of those books. I feel as if B.D. Smith sat their table with tons of researched material that they wanted for an accurate depiction and instead of turning around and making the story their own, they just threw in the research with a few bits of dialogue in between.

I, as a reader, enjoy knowing my characters but I don't need to know every minute detail of their every day lives if it's not relevant to the plot. I understood
Monika Obermeier
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I’m quite disappointed since this story had so much potential.

First things first. The language errors are inexcusable. “Preying” when it should be “praying,” for example. The punctuation errors in both their misuse and lack of use were also very distracting.

The story itself could be shortened by half and be much more intriguing. There is an outrageous amount of detail pertaining to local history, minor character history, and nature that does not add to the narrative. The back stories for the m
Mcf1nder_sk
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Ice Maiden is a very good psychological police thriller by B.D. Smith, another one of the good new authors in the @blackrosewriting family. A small town in central Maine (no Constant Readers, it's not near Derry) is rocked by a serial killer, using the nearby Sebec Lake to leave his victims. As Maine State Police detective Doug Bateman and sheriff's department inspector Anne Quinn race to catch this killer, it appears that Bateman himself may be the key to solving this case.
Smith has taken
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
The Ice Maiden by B.D. Smith, was the first book I’ve read by this author, and I hope that this might become a series. The book was very descriptive in scenery, characters and murders. At times I felt the character descriptions came in bursts or waves of information, but after a while it all just worked out. I thought both Doug and Anne were good leading characters, and the secondary characters helped support the plot with unique and creative personalities and situations adding to the credibili ...more
Lauren Dean
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
I loved the plot (which was intriguing and felt fresh), the setting (rural Maine), and the characters were interesting, but the writing style felt really rushed and you aren't ever really given a chance to get to "know" the characters beyond a very superficial level. This story has so much potential, but I wish it had been more fleshed out. It almost feels like transitions between scenes were cut out to make the page count smaller, which is shame! I'd have loved a longer, more thorough account o ...more
Margaret L.
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Another pleasant surprise. Besides the bargain price, this book caught my interest because of the Maine setting. As someone who used to travel a few times a year up through central Maine to Quebec, I enjoyed the detailed descriptions of the area, unlike some readers. (I smiled when one of the victims turned out to be from St. Georges, QC, our somewhat unlikely vacation destination.) As to the story itself, after an un-promising start (I thought "dude book" for sure), I actually got into it and k ...more
John Clark
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a serendipitous find. I got the book so I could create a bibliographic record for a nearby library, but the description on the back cover got me to sit down and read it. It's got some rough spots, but they're overshadowed by the story line as well as the author's knowledge of certain aspects of the forensics involved. As someone who lives near the area where the story takes place, the local history adds to the enjoyment, even though there's probably more than necessary. All in all a sat ...more
Natasha du Plessis
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first BD Smith book and certainly not my last. I really loved the main characters and how they related to each other. This looks like the beginning of a series that I will definitely pick up to read. I loved the setting as well as the descriptions of the setting as I am not from America. I enjoyed BD Smith's writing style. Some parts of the book was a bit predictable but maybe it is because I have read so many detective stories.

Thanks to Black Rose publishing via Netgalley for the co
Christine Deweaver
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Writing.

The author filled this story with details. The Military/Police equipment descriptions are excellent. Searches on the web for these items indicated the author was spot-on. This also applies to the details of the Spanish Inqustion and the horrible torture techniques and tools.
Overall the author was capable to weave a story that really wasn't all terror. The characters were well developed and life like. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Anne Iglesias
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good thriller, murder-mystery with a good storyline. Even though I read it months ago, I can still visualize specific scenes. There were a few parts where there was too much description on the roads they took to get to places, but aside from that, it freaked me out, like it was supposed to, and made me feel as though I was right there alongside the characters, which to me, is what a good book does.
Wilma
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book but quite gory. A dead woman is found up-side-down in a frozen lake. Investigation shows she was a victim of an auto-de-fe ceremony. Her body was mutilated and described in vivid detail. Another body is found and another auto-de-fe victim.

This book was well written, good characters and plot. The end was super amazing.

I'd recommend this mystery if you are not grossed out easily.
Margaret Appel
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Overkill

The Ice Maiden story deals with a crazed religious fanatic serial killer, gory torture, the detectives on the case, and a retired rich guy who gets in the way. Just when you think you know who did it there's a twist. If you like reading about serial killers then this is for you.
Catherine
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I was in two minds about this book. On the one hand it gave me too much background information about the characters. Some is good but I don't want to know about their brothers and sisters who don't feature in the story. Also I skimmed the many pages detailing the autopsies. However, the actual murder mystery was well done; an enjoyable story.
curt nettinga
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
A good read, but difficult

I did enjoy the book. The author obviously has knowledge of the area, as a detailed description is provided. I found the read difficult, however, by the poor use of punctuation, quotation marks in particular. Much dialog is not framed as such. Also, there are several spelling errors. Could have used a better, or more determined proofer and editor.
Pamela Wray
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gripping tale

Not a book you can read casually. Once you start, you will have a hard time putting it down. The characters are very believable & there is plenty of action. The plot winds & differs all thru the story until it comes to its surprising end. Enjoy
Robin Clemons
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mesmerizing

The storyline drew you in from the very beginning. A story worthy of Alfred Hitchcock. Enough suspense to keep you turning the pages to find out what would happen next. A great ending that ensures I will read more by this author.
Crystal w
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good and follows a serial killer. It kept me interested and I think i finished it quite quickly. I just had trouble putting it down. This is a small town and murders start happening. REally decent read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Inquisition (Jack Howard #10)
  • Silent Sentry
  • Petrocelli
  • From Nothing
  • The Second Death Of Goodluck Tinubu (Detective Kubu, #2)
  • Reflection (Whitney Steel, #1)
  • Eating Bull
  • Cold Barrel Zero (John Hayes, #1)
  • Unexpected Gaines (Scott Wolfe #2)
  • An Owl's Whisper
  • The Woman Who Married a Bear (Cecil Younger, #1)
  • Adam's Rib: A Rocco Schiavone Mystery
  • He Who Kills the Dragon (Evert Bäckström #2)
  • What Lies Within
  • The Three Deaths of Magdalene Lynton (Ngaire Blakes, #1)
  • Bones Beneath Our Feet
  • A Sunlit Absence: Silence, Awareness, and Contemplation
  • Rise of an Oligarch (The Way it is #1)

Doug Bateman Mystery (2 books)
  • Black Frog (Doug Bateman Mystery, #2)