Start by marking “Daddy Darkest (Doctors of Darkness, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daddy Darkest (Doctors of Darkness, #1)

Daddy Darkest

(Doctors of Darkness #1)

BURY YOUR SECRETS. BURY THEM DEEP.

A month after her high school graduation, small-town-girl Samantha "Sam" Bronwyn boards a plane with her best friend, Ginny. Destination: San Francisco. But when Ginny disappears inside an airport bathroom wearing Sam's letterman jacket, it doesn't take her long to figure out she was the intended target. Alone in a strange city, Sam's on a
Published June 1st 2017 by Ellery Kane Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Daddy Darkest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daddy Darkest

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
description

description

So color me surprised because I really enjoyed this book a lot. I'll be honest after reading a bunch of the reviews I wasn't expecting to like it much as it seems to have a lot of mixed reactions. But I was pleasantly surprised. Was it the most fantastic book I have ever read? No. It had its share of issues. But it kept me entertained. Tthe writing was very good. The pace was perfect. We jump back and forth from Clare's story in the past to Levi and Samantha's in the present. I found the past th
Lou
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I was offered this to read and review as part of an ARC program and due to the synopsis very much appealing to me I decided to give it a go. Unfortunately, it was not as enjoyable as it seemed it would be, in my opinion.

I am a big believer in trying out new authors as well as continuing to read your favourite writers as there's room for both and some of the best reads from the past year have been from indie publishers and self-publish authors. I don't like feeling like I could be missing out on
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Have I ever mentioned how much I love dark books? Yes, I know I have but I'm doing it again! Now next question, have I ever mentioned how much I love this author's Legacy series? Yes, I know I have but I'm doing it again!

So I've been trying to read more adult books since the YA book community it eating itself alive and like a day after I told myself to do this, Ellery emails me asking if I wanted to review her new adult book. I had to say yes! I love her writing and her plots are always top not
Shalini
The book starts with two girls Ginny and Samantha hopping on a plane to San Francisco, and Ginny gets kidnapped and Samantha goes searching for her. In her search for Ginny, Samantha ends up finding the real truth about her mother Clare's background.
The book is written in the present time about Samantha's predicament and in the past about Clare's life, her sexual abuse as a young girl, her interactions with a sociopath in the prison as a psychologist, and her love affair with him, a toxic serial
Donna Hines
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Sam Bronwyn boards a plane with Ginny for San Fran after graduation to embark on a new adventure.
Who knew it would involve vanishing while wearing a letterman jacket leaving one the intended target.
Sam's all alone. She's high tailed it out of there. She's fearing for her safety and her life.
Who can be trusted?
Who could be out to harm Sam and why?
Who are these other characters Cullen and Clare?
A things are about to 'combust' so be very careful as their may be a new name identity yet to be uncove
Erin *Help I’m Reading and I Can’t Get Up*
2.5 stars. Compelling plot, if not entirely new. Some confusing writing.
Yellagirlgc
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's so much I want to say about Daddy Darkest but after giving it a LOT of thought I'd hate to spoil anything for current and future readers. Ellery Kane and James Patterson make a good combination. All of the elements of a good psychological suspense are included in this book.
Jessie Rae (little miss book obsessed)
"received an arc exchange for an honest review"

i couldn't finish this i only got like 10% i just couldn't do it
Brandy
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
He loves you, he loves you not.

He loves you, he loves you not.

But the real question is - does he love you enough to let you live? Ekk! Cue the dark, creepy music and for heaven sakes lace up your running shoes kids! Cause’ you’re gonna need them to keep up with this fast paced thriller! Daddy Darkest sets the pace at a sprint from page one; leaving your huffing and puffing - utterly breathless in the end. I give this a much deserved 5 stars!
Alja Katuin
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty awesome and quick read! I loved the changing POVs, all the side stories and the constant thrill and I’m looking forward to book 2!

With a title as Daddy Darkest I suspected a book about this very wrong dad, doing things that no dad should ever do. In some way, that expectation was met when Samantha flew to San Fransisco with her best friend Ginny. On the plane Sam and Ginny met Levi; a handsome stranger warning them about the dangers of SF..
Shit hit the fan pretty quickly in this one, E
Eve K
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy mother of fuck.

Ellery Kane is my new favourite author.

Onto her next one...
Rishika S.
Jan 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
More like 0.5 stars, instead of 1!

The Bottom Line:

A terrible waste of time, Daddy Darkest is a story that does not (even remotely) do justice to the psychological thriller claim and is actually painful to read at most parts.

My review:

A big ‘Thank you’ to NetGalley for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review (‘honest’ being the key word here).

Daddy Darkest begins with a lot of promise. It starts with Samantha and Ginny traveling to San Francisco, Ginny’s disappearance, and a shi
Michelle Scott
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-reads
I'll be up front about this.  I did not like most of this book.  Although the writing itself was solid, and the story was gripping, the themes of child molestation turned me off.

Daddy Darkest is divided into two stories - that of eighteen-year-old Samantha and that of her mother, Clare.  Samantha's story is in present time, and her mother's is a series of flashbacks to the time before Samantha was born.  I thought that stories worked well together, and I was never lost when I read.  I was also v
Lisa P
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ellery Kane has created a world that is reminiscent of CSI, the Mentalist, and SVU rolled into one. The characters are credible and you get attached to them very quickly. Often times you're trying to figure out if and how things are connected as more layers are revealed. You'll want to make time to read this straight through because it hooks you right from the start. Fantastic start to the series.
Molly
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
A suspenseful, page-turning thriller, Daddy Darkest is the story of teenager Samantha Bronwyn, who is trying to sneak away for an adventurous little vacation with her flirty friend Ginny before the two of them graduate. Ginny disappears before the two girls even leave the airport, however, and Samantha is left trying to convince the police that something has gone very, very wrong. When the police won't listen, Samantha is forced to call her mom, Clare, and fill her in on the details - but things ...more
Andrea
Jan 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
At first I thought that this book will be "a case of mistaken identity",but no,this went into entirely new direction.

Ok,so Samantha and Ginny are on the plane,heading to San Francisco when Ginny disappears.Sam quickly realizes that she was the target and not her friend.Alone and in the city she doesn't know,Sam is on the run for her life.There is someone after her,who know some things about her life that even she is not aware of.
All of this lead me to believe that this will be a case of mistaken
Melissa Yoder
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure what to expect starting this book. The beginning was a bit confusing and I was wondering if I had settled in to read a teen drama. However after a few chapters you’re taken back in time to learn more about Sam’s mother and her past. This is a thrilling suspense novel that you will thoroughly devour. Highly recommend!!
Maya
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Promissing story but very confusing writing, didn’t like the way the characters were portrayed. Sam and her mother Clare are something else.... Sam is whinny and annoying, Clare is just plain awful and the whole book is just too predictible. The thing i did enjoy is finding out about Clare’s past and what made her this way but that’s where my interest stops.
OpenBookSociety.com

By Ellery A. Kane
ISBN# 9780692880968
Author’s Website: http://ellerykane.com/
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Heidi

Samantha Bronwyn leads a normal, albeit boring life in a small town in Texas, where she lives with her mom. She never knew her dad since he died when she was a baby. Sam’s a basketball wiz on the court and will be heading to Baylor soon.

Her best friend, Ginny, has talked her into going on a girls trip to S
Jo
Carmen
I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Best friends Samantha and Ginny take a trip to San Francisco. It was supposed to be their pre-college trip of a life time, but things go awry shortly after landing: Ginny is abducted from the airport bathroom. Armed with her luggage and Ginny's cell phone, Sam is on the run for her life after realizing that she was the target, not Ginny. Told through rotating narrators, we learn about Sam's mom, Clare, and why her secret past just
Myreadbooks
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the cover there is a scene in the night forest with a shovel backed to a tree, a hole in the bottom with the title of the book indicated in the hole. A catchphrase is below the title: "Bury your secrets, bury them deeply"

The Hispanic takes place in the present with Samantha who graduated a month ago who after a plane flight to San Francisco sees her friend Ginny disappear into a bathroom at the airport. Because she was wearing Sam's jacket, she knew right away that she was the target. Who is
GothicMom'S Reviewers
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: janet
Plenty of twists make this a riveting and unforgettable book. I absolutely loved this! There are few suspense authors that I love, and now this one is ranked right up there with my favorites. Yes, there is disturbing subject matter in here. The entire plot works here, and it's page-turning suspense.

Right from the start, we have Samantha's friend Ginny being abducted. There are no clues as to what happened. Samantha must decide if there is anyone she can trust or if she's on her own. A killer is
Beverly Laude
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. Was it perfect? Of course not. Was it great? Maybe not. Did I find parts of the book unbelievable or annoying? Yes. But, was it entertaining? YES!!

I liked the way that the author intertwined the present day with Samantha and Levi with the past of Clare and Clive. The story kept me reading long after I needed to be doing something else.

Clare is obviously a very confused person (understandably), but I also found myself feeling sympathy for her. Samantha is just a norm
Ashy Khaira
the book centers around samantha and clare bronwyn nee keely.the lies told by clare places samantha and her friend ginny in danger as they go on a vacation.the story keeps you hooked with its forbidden love story,the lies and betrayals caused over misunderstanding,the yearning for the one person who you will always love as a plus point.samantha finding out her father is a criminal finds it hard to accept the lies and come to terms with who her mother truly is.love the psychological aspect to the ...more
Kay J
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From the time the plane hit the ground this story took off and never slowed......a nice fast paced, and good thriller...enjoyed this immensely
Meegy
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was really good. I really enjoyed it, it was creepy and had a lot of twists and turns. It does have some pretty hard topics in it, which made it unsettling. But it was still good!
T.M. Payne
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed: Daddy Darkest (Doctors of Darkness Book 1)
Author: Ellery A. Kane
Publication Date: 6/1/2017
Reviewed by: Tammy Payne- Book Nook Nuts
My Rating: 5 Stars

REVIEW

One moment your graduating high school and hopping on a plane with your best friend to California and the next you're searching for your best friend who has now gone missing. And top that off with the fact that no one seems to believe you.

Enter a guy named Levi who was on the plane with these girls. And he will play a big part i
Norma
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
"There are worse things than murder."
Such a disappointment.
The opening scenes are good, drawing the reader into the book. Two silly teenagers of around 18 years of age have flown away from home for a weekend break. One is boy obsessed, the other nervous but excited to get away from home, ignoring her mother's increasingly frantic phone call. Then one disappears - just walks into a lavatory block and doesn't come out. A young man who had also been on the plane offers help So far, so good.
But as t
Bianca ღ
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arc
Daddy Darkest is the first book I've read by Ellery Kane. I do love a good thriller but I'm not a huge fan of police/FBI crime books, so hoped this one would work out for me, luckily it did.
When Sam’s best friend, Ginny, disappears in an airport bathroom while wearing Sam’s letterman jacket, it soon becomes clear that the kidnapper intended to take Sam. As she struggles to find Ginny, she starts to question whether everything she’s ever known is a lie…
This book is a huge, 'Who can you trust?' s
  • Lord of Shadows (Blackness Falls #1)
  • Violet is Blue (Hothouse #1)
  • The Shadowed Onyx (Diamond Estates, #3)
  • Hear Me
  • Runaway Lies
  • Demon Leap (The Specials, #1)
  • Secret Lies
  • The Elven Alliance (The Keeper of Dragons #2)
  • Sentencing Sapphire (Stalking Sapphire, #3)
  • The Dragon Sisters (The Dragon Sisters Trilogy, #1)
  • Jasmine and Maddie
  • Magic Reborn (The Peacesmith Series, #1)
  • The Ocean of Secrets
  • Dragon Magic: Dragonblood Sagas (Lyric's Curse Book 2)
  • Eyes on the Bayou
  • Night Flight
  • Nerves of Steel (Misfits of Magic, #1)
  • Nightscream  (The Thomas Family, #2)
Forensic psychologist by day, novelist by night, Ellery Kane has been writing--professionally and creatively--for as long as she can remember. Just like many of her main characters, Ellery loves to ask why, which is the reason she became a psychologist in the first place. Real life really is stranger than fiction, and Ellery's writing is often inspired by her day job. Evaluating violent criminals ...more

Doctors of Darkness (3 books)
  • The Hanging Tree (Doctors of Darkness, #2)
  • The First Cut (Doctors of Darkness, #3)
“He raised his hands in surrender. "Alright. Can we order breakfast first? My lips get a lot looser with a short stack of pancakes in me. I'm guessing you already know that though, since you googled me.” 0 likes
“Levi didn't seem surprised by my accusation. "I guess that bedsheet wasn't as soundproof as I thought.” 0 likes