Start by marking “Parlez-Vous Murder? (Stranded in Provence #1)” as Want to Read:
Parlez-Vous Murder? (Stranded in Provence #1)

Parlez-Vous Murder?

(Stranded in Provence #1)

"My name is Jules Hooker. I have lived through a few crappy moments in my life—and with a name like Hooker, you can just imagine—but nothing, nothing, compares to the two intensely and world-shatteringly crappy things that happened to me this last June.
Three, I guess, if you count Gilbert.
After my boyfriend dumped me on the day I thought he was going to propose, I’d have
Published May 14th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Parlez-Vous Murder?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parlez-Vous Murder?

Anne
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
There were so many problems with this book. The biggest and most glaring issue is the confusion of genre. It’s a cozy murder mystery, but also a time traveling drama, but also an apocalyptic, fear-driven story, but also a romance. Let me just state I love when authors subvert your expectations of what should or should not be in a particular genre. However, this one just felt like a mess. The moment the murder mystery would start to get interesting, the story would focus more on the apocalyptic s ...more
Monica
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Cozy mysteries are not really my genre. I picked this because it was a free book and it had a question for a title. Something I needed for my reading challenge. It was a quick read and set in Paris which is always nice. The main character was likeable and there was an interesting plot twist when the power went out all over the world for an undetermined length of time. Overall, it was not a bad read.
Sharon
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
When Jules goes to a small village in Provence,France to recover from a romantic breakup, there are many things she is not prepared for. Her apartment is tiny with few of the amenities that she is accustomed to and she finds that she is not within walking distance of anywhere outside the village. All of these considerations fall away however when she finds a dead body and immediately thereafter all of the lights and communications go out and cars and computerized equipment ceases to function - n ...more
Cynthia
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: english, kobo-read
A fun read. The many french words some times made it diffecult but if you read further you wil understand it clearly. I like Jules and Luc and the old ladies. Juist havent decided if i am gonna read the other parts.
Harold Coutts
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
i read this for a book club with my friend and honestly what on earth
Parisan
Mar 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
“I mean, after all, my country is a country of cowboys, rebels and loners. We believe in the individual, in vigilante justice, in getting and keeping what’s ours.
In the right to bear arms.
If what had happened in France truly had happened in the US then I wasn’t at all surprised that instead of produce markets and cafés with fresh-baked bread, there was looting and lawlessness.”

REALLY AUTHOR REALLY?? YOU ARE REALLY GOING TO MAKE THE UNITED STATES LOOK BAD IN A CRISIS LIKE THIS? Get real. How ofte
Coco.V
Feb 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (2/12/2018)! 💝
Tracey Pedersen
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I started this book and quickly realised I was daydreaming when I read the blurb. I thought it was a time-travel book and the heroine actually travelled back to the 50's, not just that the EMP event knocked out the power and vehicles etc, making it LIKE they were back in time. LOL - after I got over that surprise, I really enjoyed this book. The premise was interesting and I enjoyed the fact that the police were not morons - a nice change for a cozy. There were a lot of descriptions which bogged ...more
Sheryl
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery, kindle
3-1/2 stars: First off, let me say that this kindle book could use a lot of editing. By that I mean there are quite a few punctuation errors, grammar errors and the occasional missing word. If not for that, I probably would have gone with 4 stars. The story is light (as most cozies are), the main character, Jules, has a good “voice” and the concept is fresh. The author came up with a refreshing way to give the main character a reason to investigate crimes without making the local police look lik ...more
Miss A
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Amazing! From the very opening I loved the main character, could completely understand and empathise with all that she was saying and the tone as spot on. Her slight attitude convinced me I could only end up liking her more. Slightly confused by the concept of a French garden being organised and an English overgrown and would as this is the wrong way round... there was 1 spelling mistake but hey, not everything is perfect.

The concept of a modern day apocalypse and how that affected the whole to
Mauri
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book, with a neat twist on a sort of "closed room" mystery novel. Good characters and a good mystery, overall, with one glitch at the end (very general/mild spoiler below).........

SPOILER BELOW....

(When she says she needs to get the guilty party to confess so that the police can hear it, why doesn't she get the police before she goes there? That was a bit TSTL, and also, just a reason to have the final scene... but she said she needed the police to overhear??? Anyway... small thin
Patti Wilson
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Survival in Provence post apocalyptic

I love cozy mysteries. I love French memoirs. I hate post apocalyptic drama series that seems like everything is a minute by minute fight for life. Susan Kiernan Lewis has solved this by creating a post apocalyptic mystery cozy in France that still includes great food, handsome men, a few bad guys, and surprises. Hope and acceptance surround these French villagers while the main character, Jules Hooker, an American stuck in France, decides to solve a murder w
Ellen Ansok
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Cozy Mystery with a Strange World Order

What would you do if all electronics and electricity were gone, just like that? Now think what if that happened while you are in a foreign country and you don't speak the local language. Then you find a dead body! What would you do?

I personally had no problems with the French sentences, but then I had three years in high school. The only thing holding this book back from five stars is the quickness that the lead solves the mystery. I will read the next on
Jim B.
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun read. Even though a murder mystery there is not much blood and gore - that's a good thing. Pressure relief from some crime stories I read. EMP is not a good thing - not sure there would be telephone for possibly years given wide spread damage. Telephone services could provide temporary service to limited areas. Radio would work faster for HAM operators who build their own equipment. These are minor issues with the book. Well written by one of my favorite authors. I would recommend the book t ...more
Paul
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was genuinely surprised how much I enjoyed this book.

In simplest terms, the reader finds themselves following the exploits of Jules Hooker as she attempts to a) survive an apocalyptic event, b) fit herself into a foreign country, and c) solve a murder that happened on her first day.

The characters were solid, more three dimensional than many mysteries, and the reader forms an attachment to Jules quickly.

The nearest I can equate this story is a sort of Miss Marple. The journalism angle adds dime
Karin
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stuck in France with a murderer.

A book that was a surprise to me. I did not think I was going to enjoy reading it considering what had happened there, and to most of the world. But the quaint village in France and Jules, on vacation and now stuck in Provence held my interest and intrigue. There are so many interesting characters, a murder mystery, and beautiful scenery. I couldn't put it down. And now am putting this author, and Jules next adventures on my reading list.
Athena
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Not sure what to think

I really like the story, but I will say the overall apocalyptic theme is more or less unrealistic, and seems a little more ridiculous then understandable. However, I do enjoy the mystery, all the personalities, and after you get past the unrealistic idea of things not working etc. it’s interesting to see how people do things. I’m deathly gonna take up more for the series.
Sherry McWilliams
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found Jules and the other characters in the story interesting. It is not only a cozy murder mystery, but has a dirty bomb being set off that takes out all electrical and etc. out. Made you think about how we would survive that. As the French and Jules realized you had to keep living and use tools long forgotten. I enjoyed the story and hope to read more about Jules and her French adventure.
IMHO
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The month of June was not being kind to Jules.
Her fiance breaks up with her, when she is
expecting a proposal. She decides to take a trip
to France with tickets she had purchased as a
surprise for her boyfriend. When she gets there
the apartment, she had traded her condo in
Atlanta for, was not as described. Then she finds
a body. In the middle of being questioned by
the police, terrorist detonate EMP bombs....
What else can go wrong?
Eileen Weglicki
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a clean Cozy mystery

This is a well written story. I couldn't wait to continue reading it when I had to put it down to get on with my life. It was enjoyable and thought provoking.
We are so tied to all our electronics and many people have forgotten how to manage without our everyday conveniences. The story examines this issue along with solving a murder. There is just enough romance and colorful people to keep your interest.
Donna
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a fun little cozy mystery. The MC has a unique last name that made me grin every time the cop called her Madame Hooker. I always thought the idea of a house swap would be fun. However, the situation in this book would so not be fun. Of course, who goes to another country without learning the language first? Overall, it was a fun mystery that is perfect for those days that you just want to curl up with a cozy mystery and cup of hot chocolate.
Bernadette F.
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
American stuck in France

I thought it was a nice to why our detective would be left to her own devices in a country she was visiting for only two weeks. As a reporter, I thought Jules would have done her research a little better about the area before she got there. It does give pause to think what would happen to the world if we no longer had the convenience of electricity for the rest of our lives and not just a couple of days.
Marilyn E. Hay
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a unique set up for a cozy mystery series - but I won't share the details because I don't want to spoil the unusual situation the author has created for her characters to complicate their lives. The characters are well crafted, the descriptions wonderful in creating the ambiance of a village in southern France, and the mystery has enough twists to be engaging. I recommend this book and am looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
Linda
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoy reading Susan Kieran Lewis's books for the fun of a 'who done it' mystery. The main character Jules Hooker who loves fashion and very high heels is a misfit in the town of Chabanel, a hard to believe post EMP setting in a minuscule town in France. With the main character not even speaking French, and trying to solve a murder, believability is even more of a stretch. Somehow it all comes together to be a cozy mystery.
Cari
Jul 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
An American character who continually bashes America and her citizens, her patriots.. Disgusting.

Poor editing, too. But the constant anti-American sentiment is appalling. The story might have been good with the interesting setting and the main premise. Too bad the bashing of our country took priority.
Elizabeth Maher
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting plot!

This is a good mystery to settle in with and pass a few pleasurable hours reading a what if mystery? The characters are believable and it is a good mystery without detailed blood and gore! It is more of a thinking mystery that leaves you to figure out the killer! There are red herrings and there is an issue usual plot twist! Enjoy the read!
E
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a Kindle freebie that I got because I like the Maggie Newberry series that Kiernan-Lewis writes. It takes place in Provence (which I like), but I'm not too crazy about the apocalypse part of it. I enjoyed it, liked the characters Jules, Luc, and the twin sisters, but I probably won't read any more unless they show up free for Kindle.
Norma Huss
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
How not to spend what was supposed to be a honeymoon, but wasn't---take the trip alone, then get caught in the explosion of a dirty bomb that does away with anything modern, including how to get home (where it is even worse). This is the life of our heroine, plus, find a body. But, there is a hint of possible romance to liven up future stories in the series.
Carlin
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-kindle
I adore Susan Kiernan Lewis' Maggie Newberry mysteries. So when I saw she has started a new series, also set in France...Provence in fact....I jumped at the BookBub offer. The premise of the series is that Jules Hooker (she hates her last name) has come to France on a house swap arrangement when a dirty nuclear bomb exploded over the Mediterranean disrupting everything electronic, so she has no way to return to Atlanta. She speaks no French and is distrusted by the residents of the small medieva ...more
Amber
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not a bad read

Quick, fun, quirky. I really enjoyed Jules' personality. The novel itself was sort of anticlimatic and the ending was just sort of handed to you. Overall it was an enjoyable and easy read and the idea of the apocalypse not completely destroying the infrastructure of the world was a refreshing perspective.

• Past Perfect (Amber Reed Mystery, #4)
  • Bare-Naked Lola (Lola Cruz Mystery, #3)
  • Synanon Kid Grows Up: A Memoir Of Learning To Live Outside The Synanon Cult
  • Le Cœur d'une autre
  • A Kiss in Lavender (La Vie en Roses Book 4)
  • Love & Death in Burgundy
  • Top 10 Paris (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Lula Bell on Geekdom, Freakdom & the Challenges of Bad Hair
  • Codename: Dancer (Dani Spevak Mysteries, #1)
  • Sinal de Vida
  • Murder at the Mayan Temple (Starling and Swift Mystery #1)
  • The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual—and the Modern Home Began
  • The Dragon Arcana (The Cardinal's Blades #3)
  • No Place Like Home (Includes: La Vie en Roses, #1.5)
  • A la lumière du petit matin
  • Together for Christmas: Four sweet and clean heartwarming Christian romances
  • Dog-Nabbed (Doodlebugged Mysteries, #3)
  • Flowers for Elvis

Stranded in Provence (8 books)
  • Crime and Croissants (Stranded in Provence #2)
  • Accent on Murder (Stranded in Provence #3)
  • A Bad Éclair Day (Stranded in Provence #4)
  • Croak, Monsieur! (Stranded in Provence #5)
  • Death du Jour (Stranded in Provence #6)
  • Murder Très Gauche (Stranded in Provence #7)
  • Wined and Died (Stranded in Provence #8)