Start by marking “The Reunion (Brides of Beadwell #1)” as Want to Read:
The Reunion (Brides of Beadwell #1)

The Reunion

(Brides of Beadwell #1)

An inconvenient engagement turns a marriage of convenience into so much more in this sparkling new series from award-winning author Sara Portman . . .

Published September 26th 2017 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about The Reunion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reunion

Penny Reid
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency

What I loved:
1. The premise-- provided great tension right from the beginning.
2. The heroine
3. The writing
4. Story / setting immersion

What I maybe didn't love quite as much:
Of note, my criticism section is longer than my praise because criticism deserves proper explanation where as "GOOD JOB" is perfectly appropriate for praise.
It's hard for authors of today to write in the regency world and provide a story realistic FOR THE TIME PERIOD (specifically, I'm talking about the enlighte
Kari Lemor
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Reunion by Sara Portman was a very enjoyable book. I'm not a huge reader of regency historical but every now and then have a craving for a good one. This is a good one. The characters were thoroughly enjoyable and I loved the plot. There was even a secondary romance that took place, though I was hoping to have a full story for those two. This author gave me everything I want in a regency romance; feisty heroine, broody hero with a loving heart, and some beautifully written love scenes for ou ...more
"Avonna
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Check out all of my reviews at http://www.avonnalovesgenres.com.

THE REUNION (Brides of Beadwell, #1) by Sara Portman is a wonderful character driven historical romance that had me hooked from the first chapter!

Lady Emmaline Shaw has grown from an uncertain girl into a strong, independent woman. She had to face the disappearance of her fiancée, John Brantwood, four years ago and not so long after that the death of her parents. She ignores the gossips, has a close circle of friends, and is living
Seana
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! From the opening chapter I was hooked. Lady Emmaline is a wonderful heroine. She's publicly jilted by an unfeeling Duke. Her marriage options dry up as the gossip swirls. She's shunned by the ton, through no fault of her own, but instead of wringing her hands in worry, she shuns them right back, moving to the country for a quiet, scandal-free life.

The inhabitants of Beadwell, the village she takes up residence in, were all interesting, fully-fleshed out characters, not backgr
Shell Cunliffe
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Blurb

Lady Emmaline Shaw’s reputation was irreparably damaged when her fiancé, John Brantwood, disappeared immediately after their engagement four years ago. Since then, she’s grown from a shy, uncertain girl to a woman who knows her own mind. And what she knows is that London society holds nothing for her.

Rumor has it that John ran off to war and died in battle. Now, as the new Duke of Worley, his shocking resurrection throws the ton into a tizzy and makes him one of England’s most sought after
Mandi Schreiner
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I really enjoyed debut author Sara Portman's book, The Reunion. Smart, mature characters (well, one immature side character I grew to like), a sexy hero, and a heroine who I adored.

Four years prior to the book starting, seventeen year old Lady Emma, was forced into an engagement to a man whom she barely knew. This man, our hero John, took one look at the very young Emma, sneered, and made some not so nice remarks. To everyone's confusion, shortly after this, John disappears. Time passes and ever
SH
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first novel that I have read by Sara Portman and I now have another author that I will be following. From the beginning, the characters had me entranced, particularly the central character Emmaline. The story begins with Lady Emmaline (Emma) who was jilted by her fiancée, John Brantwood, four years ago. His father and Emma believed that he was killed in battle but his arrival but to London, finds her once again at the mercy of the gossiping ton. Emma has endured the years since his d ...more
Lux Lewis
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
John Brantwood, now the Duke of Worley, has been missing for four years and presumed dead. Now, he's resurfaced in England, speculations were rife as to his whereabouts. This was indeed a shock to Lady Emmaline Shaw, who's betrothed was 'resurrected' and has no recollection of her nor their engagement four years prior.
John needs to find a suitable bride. His Duchess would be instrumental to his sister Charlotte's introduction to polite society. Charlotte grew up in poverty in Boston and resists
Synergy Quest
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - What a lovely story! There is much to like about the hero and heroine. Both are honorable, faithful and loyal to those whom they call friend or family. They both long to take charge of their futures and be more than either of their fathers gave them credit for. This is no insta-love story. We, the readers, are allowed to see acceptance transform to a sort of unconventional trust. This trust leads to exploration in the bedroom, which gives birth to passion. We also see this trust secu ...more
kris
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book via a Goodreads Giveaway.

Four years ago, Lady Emmaline Shaw got engaged to John Brantwood, future Duke. He said some mean things and then disappeared into the night, leaving her at the mercy of London's gossips. Now he's back from outer space and they get married! And fight their emotions and secrets and boners like married people do!

1. Emma was...underformed. She allegedly loves gardening, which is mentioned approximately thrice. She likes sex with her husband. She loves th
Nicole
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book from net galley for an honest review. Thank you!!

This novel was an enjoyable read. The plot flowed and there was also a little side story in additional to the two main characters. Sometimes in life, you need to accept the situations you are given and adapt. However, you should still be able to be your own person without giving up who you are.
Lady Emmaline Shaw had her reputation destroyed when her finance left her. She was a young debutante and was deeply hurt by the words f
MAP
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won a kindle copy of this book as a Goodreads Giveaway.

This book was definitely a cut above many romances. It has some familiar tropes (marriage of convenience, "I must marry so my spouse can help my family member" - a trope I run across surprisingly often, tortured past, etc) but they are done with just enough of a twist that they don't feel trite.

Emma is the daughter of an earl and a spinster due to her former fiance's astounding rejection of her before running off to join the war in Spain.
Sharon
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful new author. This is an innovative story with quirky well drawn characters. I could not put it down. I already have the next one on my wishlist.
Shannon
The set-up for The Reunion should be my perfect catnip: a marriage of convenience between a brooding aristocrat trying to do right by his long-lost sister and a spinstery spitfire who never felt the need to get married and who has her own mind and motivations. Aaaaaannnddddd. Yuck. PLEASE LET YOUR CHARACTERS ACTUALLY GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER OUTSIDE OF CLIMAXING TOGETHER AN UNREALISTIC AMOUNT OF TIMES.

Spoilers beyond this here point, yo!

Let's start with the positives. The writing is actually reall
Amanda Richardson
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
"The Reunion" by Sara Portman is a very good book, with likable characters and an interesting plot. Emma was engaged to John when she was just barely out of the school room. John only agreed to marry her to keep his father off his back and, if the gossip is true, he ran off to war to die rather than marry her. Emma hasn't had a true suitor since and believes she will be a spinster.
John didn't run off to war, he ran off to America to help his mother and sister who he thought died years ago. John
Karen
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won
I enjoyed this book. I like a book with the lovers being at odds until the end of the book. This is not a book with "I love you" every other sentence which gets tiresome very fast. If you are looking for a book with hot sex every other page then this is not for you. So I enjoyed the characters and the story.
MLB
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free kindle copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway.

I really liked this book! I tend to read more contemporary romances than historical, so I don't have much to compare it to. I thought the story was good and really liked all of the characters.
Coral
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Plot: 3/5
Characterisation: 4/5
Prose: 4/5
How much I enjoyed it: 4/5
I quite like the start of the story where instead of the main characters giving the backstory, we get the backstory from the gossiping matrons of society.
Jultri
4.25/5. Thoroughly enjoyable debut novel by an author to watch. Lady Emmaline Shaw last saw her fiance, John Brantwood, four years ago when he angrily reacted to being forced into an arranged union by insulting her looks and her integrity and then promptly disappeared. Humiliated by his rejection and the subject of cruel gossips, she chose to retreat to her country cottage haven, which she inherited after losing her parents soon after her reluctant betrothed left England. Society gossips did not ...more
Debra Martin
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lady Emmaline Shaw never wanted to be engaged and certainly not to the rude and arrogant Duke of Worley, John Brentwood. When he disappeared 4 years ago, she was relieved that she never had to think of him again, that is, until he showed up at the ball and informed her he intended to keep their engagement and marry her. Thus begins an unlikely marriage where Emma would help tutor his sister Charlotte in the ways of society.

Ms. Portman teases out the story of Emma and John's growing attachment f
JRe2i
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an early release copy of this book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As a male, I am somewhat of a unicorn when it comes to being a romance novel reader. Truth is, I'm new to the genre having only read a few Julia Quinn novels and, of course, Pride and Prejudice.
The author has a great talent for writing. The book flowed very well and logically. I enjoyed that the writing was not "dumbed down". I will admit I occasionally had to look up a word or two but that is just my sho
Bookworm Erica
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reunion

What a cute romantic story. It kept my attention and I liked the characters. I recommend it very very heartily. This was a goodreads win and I really appreciated it!! A real prize
Andree
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, rounding down. Because I am grading on the curve of "this was free." On the other hand, unlike a lot of recent free e-books, I finished this one, and didn't entirely hate it.

The set up is not terrible. And I am a sucker for love interests re-emerging, having been presumed dead. I mean, it's not ideal, in that Emma essentially has no choice; everyone thinks she should just marry the Duke, which fair, he's a Duke. But he's also a Duke who disappeared for years, before re-appearing, havi
Joana V.
3.25*
review em breve
Plainbrownwrapper
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mf
I received an eARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This appears to be Sarah Portman's first published novel. Although her author page says that she has written multiple historical and contemporary romances, The Reunion won the Romance Writers of America Golden Heart award in 2015 -- which is only given to writers who have never published. So this book seems to be her publishing debut, if not her writing debut.

As a debut, this is a very impressive book. Portman obv
Antonella
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was historical romance, very well written with equally well and interesting characters in used but very much tempting marriage of convenience plot line.

When I read historical usually two things happen;
-I like it or
-I am bored to tears
There are no gray areas.

Obviously boredom is not the case for this book.
As a matter of fact this was a page turner of a book.

Things I loved;
-heroine she is strong and smart
-plot line
-writting
-side characters

Things I DID NOT liked;
-hero at times was very irr
Toni
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
Shelves: sara-portman
*** I WON A DIGITAL COPY OF THIS BOOK IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW***

This is the first book that I've read from this author and I loved it. As soon as I finished TR, I started looking for more titles from Ms. Portman. The characters were well developed and the plot entertaining. I highly recommend for historical romance fans to grab a copy of this book and to give SP's other titles a try too. 4.5 stars
Valerie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book from NetGallery for a honest review.

I thought this book was good and from the start - I was intrigued on how Emmaline reacted with the duke's arrival back in town after publicly rejecting their engagement. Her strong feelings against any reunion, his desire to reconnect. The relationships between family members and friends kept everyone on their toes - a great read. I would recommend it to anyone.
Ishara Dasruth
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has a pair of MCs that will keep you engaged. The story moves along nicely and has some rather interesting characters. Looking forward to the other books in the series. Overall, a good read.
  • Desperate Bride (Forever Brides, #3)
  • Romancing Adrienne
  • Kissed at Midnight
  • Bride of the Lion
  • Duke of Scandal (Moonlight Square #1)
  • The Unexpected Bride (Bowen, #1)
  • The Husband Campaign (The Master Matchmakers, #3)
  • A Gift for Guile (The Thief Takers, #2)
  • The Bartered Bride (The Brides #3)
  • A Duchess in Name (The Grantham Girls, #1)
  • The Greatest Lover Ever (The Westruthers, #2)
  • Claiming Her
  • A Taste for Scandal (Sealed With a Kiss, #2)
  • The Earl's Mistaken Bride (The Parson's Daughters, #1)
  • The Duke of Danger (The Untouchables, #6)
  • Starcursed
  • Tempted by a Rogue
  • The Disappearance of Lady Edith (The Undaunted Debutantes, #1)
Sara Portman is a USA Today Bestselling author of historical romance. Her debut novel, THE REUNION, received the 2017 RT Reviewer's Choice Award and was named 2015 winner in the Historical Category of the Romance Writers of America® Golden Heart® contest.

A daughter of the Midwest, Sara was born in Illinois, grew up in Michigan, and currently lives in Ohio. In addition to her writing endeavors, Sar

Brides of Beadwell (3 books)
  • The Offer (Brides of Beadwell, #2)
  • The Chase (Brides of Beadwell, #3)