Start by marking “Digital Food Photography” as Want to Read:
Digital Food Photography

Digital Food Photography

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Packed with enticing and creative full-color photographs, this book focuses on the art of food photography and how the digital photography revolution has changed and enhanced it. Broken down into the areas of photography, styling, science, and business, this visual guide compiles all of these aspects of food photography into a valuable reference. Readers will learn techniq ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Course Technology (first published January 8th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Digital Food Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digital Food Photography

AJ
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was pretty solid, but the author seems to focus more on really beginner photography concepts, and he goes into a bit of detail into how he personally sets up shots, but I didn't find it to be very informative for people who already know about photography and would like the skills to take better photos of food. I was hoping for more information about proper lighting techniques, etc, which he only covers very briefly.
Happyreader
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-and-drink
This book would be a helpful checklist for professional photographers considering expanding their business to include food photography. For a photography neophyte like myself, the book was not useful. I only learned two things: one, don't use the camera flash because it flattens food out, use an external flash instead (??); two, use mirrors, aluminum foil to create lights and shadows (again ??). The book is full of summary statements, not how-to details.
Cade
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Amature Photographers, food photographers

A great book on the photography of food, it was interesting to read about how food is made to look so good in advertisments. Beyond just the food photography, I found the book interesting in how it explained ways to best take photos, tips on photography, and giving a different perspective on shooting photographs.

The photos in the book are wonderful.
Meg
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not a "good" read...quite technical in some areas and too broad in others. Not being a techinical person, I was hoping for more direction on lighting (although he does give good "to buy" recommendations), and styling--best backgrounds, colors, etc. Overall, a useful tool that I will probably reference once I have more free time to get more technical.
Serge Pierro
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
A good first book on the subject. I prefer to shoot "real" food and not items that "look like" real food, so some of the sections were not applicable to what I was interested in. However, there are a lot of good tips for people who are just starting out.
Carine
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography, cooking
Very good book about food photography. The writer, a professional food photographer, gives plenty of advice and techniques for anyone interested in photographing food, whether for pleasure or professionally.
Michael
Feb 04, 2011 rated it liked it
It would have received 5 stars if it wasn't for the price - it just wasn't a £23 book. £16 would be about the right price. Excellent content, beautiful images, plenty of ideas. Would have liked a bit more on the technical aspects of each image, especially how each shot was lit.
If any of you have read my blog, you know how desperately I need this book!
Gaurav Prabhu
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good for budding food photographers. Covers all the basics to get you, up & running.
Arfi
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
my reference on food photography. you must own it if you think you love food photography.
DixieJo