Jump to ratings and reviews

Vanished?

She: a very hot 30 something Swedish woman. He: a native of Berlin, on vacation in rural Sweden, seeking solace for his broken heart. They meet. He finds her irresistible. But before their relationship can get off the ground, she vanishes mysteriously, having apparently been abducted. So Martin sets out to rescue Liv from her captors, with the aid of two Swedish detectives in a race against time – and across Sweden. In so doing, Martin and his intrepid detective duo put their very lives on the line.

VANISHED? is the first book in the Stockholm Sleuth Series and where we meet the two private investigators, Elin and Lars. If you like fast action and surprising twists, then you'll love Christer Tholin's Swedish crime novels.

300 pages, Paperback

Published April 30, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Christer Tholin

14 books367 followers
The author grew up in the North of Germany, Schleswig-Holstein. Today, he lives together with his family in Stockholm, Sweden, where he works as management consultant.

Already for ages he has been a great fan of crime stories and therefore, had the desire to write his own crime story with the characters acting in Sweden. This crime-fiction is now available under the title "Vanished?".
The crime novel starts at a slower pace - like Martin's holidays, but the tension goes up more and more. It comes to a number of surprising turns giving new impulses to the story. Apart from that, the lovely country Sweden is described with the view of a foreigner.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
28 (8%)
1 star
8 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 33 reviews
Profile Image for Susan Baker.
Author 15 books34 followers
Read
May 26, 2017
Recently divorced German attorney Martin travels to Sweden for a brief respite from his law practice in hopes the vacation will help him recover emotionally from the separation from his now ex-wife and child. Upon arrival in the general area of the vacation house he has rented, he becomes lost and stops to ask for directions, which immediately characterizes him as a male secure in his manhood. Martin meets an attractive women who, it turns out, is a close neighbor. After settling in, he drives to town for provisions and runs into the neighbor, Liv, again. They enjoy a conversation and, in the end, she invites him for coffee the following day. When he shows up the next day, Liv has disappeared. It appears from the premises that a struggle has taken place. After further examination of the house, Martin reports the disappearance to the police who seem little inclined to look into the matter. Thereafter begins an unexpected journey into a complicated scenario for Martin who takes on the search for the missing woman. His inability to speak Swedish causes Martin to have to resort to hiring an investigative firm, which assigns an investigator, Lars and a young assistant, Elin, who soon becomes Lars’ sidekick. Together, Martin, Lars, and Elin proceed to use their intellect, the Internet ,and good old footwork to get to the bottom of the mystery which is full of complications the reader would not anticipate.

This first novel is well-plotted with twists and turns that keep the reader guessing. The main characters are well developed. Since I’ve been to Sweden, I enjoyed reading Tholin’s description of the setting, which, to my mind was accurate. Also, I learned a lot about what research is available on the Internet to assist in an investigation such as this. Christer Tholin is off to a good start with this detective series. I recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys Swedish mysteries. I look forward to reading the next one.

Profile Image for Ken Fredette.
961 reviews50 followers
August 4, 2017
This book really made sense to me because I have a daughter that is living in Austria and had to learn German. Although, that's were it ends with the story. Christer makes it sound like nothing was out of the ordinary at first but Martin and Liv had a small meeting of the extraordinary kind. He lent her money and it was to be paid back the next day. That's where the story begins and it has three changes to it where each time it is resolved it becomes different. I liked the story because of the changes and feel that it was believable, even with the extra characters that were involved. They made it even better. It was a love story with murders to spice it up. It was a great read and I will recommend it without reservation.
613 reviews7 followers
September 10, 2018
A recently divorced German man rents a vacation home in Sweden and quickly finds himself caught up in the disappearance of an attractive Swedish woman. Unfortunately, the author decided to write this book in English instead of German or Swedish. It feels like it was written by someone whose mother tongue isn’t English. Also unfortunate is that neither the plot or characters captured my attention.
Profile Image for Leslie.
2,687 reviews2 followers
February 6, 2022
I am probably being really generous with 2 stars. This is a dumb book that is written at an elementary school reading level with adult themes. The plot is preposterous. The Dialogue is juvenile and silly.

Profile Image for Eileen Thornton.
Author 25 books115 followers
May 27, 2017
Martin, an attorney in Berlin, decides to take a holiday in Sweden to help him get over his recent divorce. What could be better than two weeks of solitude in a summer house well away from the beaten track. However, almost immediately after arriving, Martin meets, Liv, a Swedish lady, quite by accident and takes a liking to her. She invites him to join her for tea the following day, but when Martin arrives there is no sign of her. Finding her door unlocked, he checks inside the house, where he finds chairs have been overturned in what appears to have been a struggle. Though he informs the police, they don't appear to be interested and Martin is loathe to leave it there. What he decides to do next leads him into danger, yet he is determined find out the truth about what had happened to Liv. To say anymore here would spoil the plot for future readers,

This is a terrific story, which grabbed me from the start. The author has portrayed the characters well and included so many twists and turns that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't come up with 'whodunit'. There was a point when I thought the story was over, mystery solved, but it wasn't, there was more to come. If you are looking for a crime story to keep you guessing, then this is the one for you. Don't miss it.
Profile Image for Pat Kahn.
402 reviews
December 29, 2019
Not a book I would recommend although I see that it got quite a few very favorable reviews. The writing seemed very amateurish, even childish, although this could be the translation. People were not very realistic. Also entirely too much detail repeated over and over. I really don't care that route 214 runs into 65 or whatever. Perhaps things like that would be overlooked if only once or twice but it was constant. Will not read any further books.
Profile Image for Sara.
294 reviews3 followers
October 14, 2018
Enjoyable enough

The writing is pretty amateurish but the storyline kept me interested. It’s the kind of story with many threads that in this case seemed to be revealed one after the other rather than hinted at throughout the story. I think it would have benefited from a few early chapters that revealed a bit more about some of the later twists in the novel.
1 review
September 4, 2018
While the plot line was interesting the author belabored the dialogue again and again and again. There was no heat between the main characters, the relationships were hollow, and the heroine as a mother was really empty. I would rate the book as just average.
Profile Image for Bonnye Reed.
3,916 reviews65 followers
October 27, 2019
I received a free teaser to a series of Swedish police procedures from Christer Tholin. This Kindle file contains portions of Vanished?, Secrets?, and Murder? and leaves you invested and wanting more. Christer Tholin is an author I will follow. He writes a tense, fast-paced story with characters you want to be involved with.
Lars and Kalle are Swedish police, Martin is a lawyer from Berlin, visiting Sweden to get over a love gone wrong. Liv is an irresistible Swedish woman. With these men, we travel across Sweden in an attempt to rescue Liz.
Reviewed on October 27, 2019, at Goodreads, AmazonSmile. BookBub, and GootlePlay. Not available at Barnes & Noble or Kobo.
500 reviews6 followers
October 16, 2019
Exciting thriller

I found this to be a very good thriller. The characters were interesting and unique. The story moves a a fast pace. It keeps you guessing as to who was doing what. It is nice to have a good story to go with the detective aspect.
Profile Image for Mary.
2,321 reviews
October 17, 2019
Kept my attention from the first page to the last
Profile Image for Jessica Bronder.
2,013 reviews21 followers
December 23, 2017
Martin is an attorney in Berlin and has recently finalized his divorce. He decides to go on vacation in Sweden to help get over the divorce. He happens to run into a beautiful lady, Liv a couple times and he invites him over to her house for tea. But when he gets there she is gone and it is clear that there was a struggle involved.

Martin tries to go to the police but it seems that they don’t really care about Liv. Martin then decides to investigate himself. The only problem is that he doesn’t speak Swedish and ends up hiring Lard and Elin to look into the disappearance of Liv.

This is a great introduction to a new Swedish mystery series. There is so much happening that you will be kept guessing at what is really going on. It was so easy to get into this story. Martin is trying to get over his divorce even though him and his wife have been apart for two years. His meetings with Liv started innocently enough but he finds himself in trouble soon enough.

I really enjoyed Elin. She is trying to become an investigator and this is a great case to get her feet wet. She quickly shines in her role. I really enjoyed this story. I think it is a great start to a new Swedish mystery and can’t wait to see what is going to happen to Lars and Elin next.

I received Vanished from Silver Dagger Book Tours for free. This has in no way influenced my opinion of this book.
Profile Image for Dawn.
1,485 reviews16 followers
December 22, 2017
I chose to read this book after receiving a free copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

Martin decides to take a vacation at a summer home in Sweden just to get away for a couple of weeks after his divorce is final. He runs into Liv a couple of times and she invites him over for coffee. When he arrives, she's not home and things look a little suspicious. He's afraid that something has happened to her but no one will listen to him so he takes it upon himself to find her.

That's when he hires Lars and Elin. Their investigation turns up some interesting information. But will they find Liv?

There are many twists in Vanished? as well as action and romance. I don't usually care much for in depth descriptions of places but in this case I did because my grandma was Swedish. Martin is visiting Sweden and the author's descriptions are good enough that it was almost like I was there.

If you like a suspenseful crime mystery, you can't go wrong with Vanished?
Profile Image for Sandra Lopez.
Author 3 books317 followers
May 29, 2020
Martin was on his first trip to Sweden since his divorce and separation from his daughter. On the first day, he meets a beautiful woman named Liv. The next day, when they agree to meet, she vanishes.

This seemed interesting to me. The character ruminates a lot, often thinking thoughts out loud, which was not bad, but it just didn’t make for very interesting reading. The guy didn’t really strike me as the detective type to be honest. In fact, he goes through the missing case like checking off groceries—remedial and ordinary. The writing was okay, but not too engaging. As you read on, the story gets a little more complicated and judicial.

An okay read.
Profile Image for P.J. Roscoe.
Author 13 books52 followers
July 8, 2017

Having never read this kind of genre before I began with an open mind, however, it did become difficult to get into the story as many sentences did not need to be there and did not help the story in any way. Skip past all that and there is a really good, strong story within it that kept me interested. There are core characters who we follow within the novel and Elin became the most dominant one which I'm a little unsure of as surely, Martin should be the main focus? If you can ignore the pointless sentences, and get down to the nitty gritty of the story then it's a good read.
Author 3 books1 follower
July 17, 2017
For a first novel, I say well done Mr. Tholin! The characters are well-developed and the scene descriptions are detailed and excellent, leaving the reader to feel that they are traveling through Sweden on this adventure with Martin, the main character, as a brief respite turns into something other than relaxing! Lots of twists and turns keeps the reader guessing. There may have been a few translation issues, hence the 4 stars. All and all an exciting read!
Profile Image for Gary Van Cott.
1,424 reviews8 followers
February 28, 2018
I thought this was a good book. A bit different. I was surprised to discover that the two people who were the main characters in this book are not the primary characters in the series, but that the two detectives that helped them are. I thought the translation was a bit odd, especially in the early portion of the book which had several words that I think had just been made up
April 30, 2018
Unpredictable

I found this book quite entertaining. The story line is different and kept my interest. The characters are well fleshed out and interesting. Can't wait to read the next book.
362 reviews1 follower
June 18, 2018
Quite good. Fairly predictable. Translation a bit pedestrian. A German lawyer get caught up inadvertently in power struggle that involves a Swedish family, the Russians, the police and a private detective.
93 reviews3 followers
July 2, 2018
Absolutely Fascinating

An easy read. A novel with not one but two interesting crimes. Quite a lot of data about Sweden including.Stockholm. I didn't realize it was the Venice of the North.

I am looking forward to the second novel in the series.
10 reviews2 followers
January 12, 2018
Well-done!

An entertaining read. A series in the offing? Lars and Elin seem to have a future together! Good translation, too.
Profile Image for Nadine Vansant.
135 reviews2 followers
April 25, 2018
Easy to read. Don't think you know everything after a number of pages, because you don't. Persons dissapears, are kidnapped, get themselves blown up etc etc. But: all's well that ends well....
7 reviews
April 2, 2019
Good story line

Fast paced, kept me interested. Will read the next book in the series. I already know Martin won't be in it, but I hope Lars is.
Profile Image for LizaRose Alderson.
Author 1 book3 followers
June 28, 2020
A well paced thriller set on the Northern part of the European continent finds Martin, a German lawyer zipping between Germany and Sweden as he tries to find out what happened to a mysterious and enchanting woman with whom he has a fledgling relationship.
After a promising start, her disappearance leaves him curious and worried, particularly after what happens to Martin himself as he looks for her.
Translated from the original German, the occasional excess word creeps in, but the overall feeling is a streamlined plot that twists and turns acceptably without overwhelming the reader with over-complications. A good read if you love Scandinavia, the author's love for the area comes through well.
Profile Image for Oana.
315 reviews
August 30, 2020
The story starts interesting and we have a nice tension in the air with the disparition of Liv, but that feeling starts to get lost once we get deeper in the story. While the action is fast paced , we find out almost right away who the kidnapper is and the reason why Liv got abducted. I think those details were better told near the end of the story so we could have tried to guess the kidnapper.
Martin is a nice character and a great man for his interest in Livs health and wellbeing .
553 reviews3 followers
July 16, 2021
A Bit Thin

The story was okay but not grabbing. The characters were somewhat mono-dimensional and the dialogue and descriptions were often unnecessarily wordy and trite. Can't say I cared about the characters except clever Elin. I don't think I will be reading any more of this author's works any time soon. The only positive thing I can say is the it made me eager to go to Stockholm from his brief comments on the beauty of the old town area.
Profile Image for Tony Rampling.
294 reviews1 follower
February 28, 2020
Another great Lee Child recommendation another great Swedish writer with a pair of detectives that are superb. The stories build slowly which adds to the suspense and the plot twists are unpredictable and keep you on the edge of your seat.
Profile Image for Lana L Fiems.
214 reviews
February 12, 2021
This is a new author for me.

I love scandinavian mysteries. Goblin is a new author for me. I enjoyed the story and the characters. While the premise was a bit overdone the writing and characters were good. I will probably read the rest of the series soon.
14 reviews1 follower
Currently reading
December 5, 2020
Well done mystery. Always love trying to pronounce Swedish names.
Good plot, keeps you guessing.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 33 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.