Start by marking “JLA, Vol. 14: Trial by Fire” as Want to Read:
JLA, Vol. 14: Trial by Fire

JLA, Vol. 14: Trial by Fire (JLA #14)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The surviving members of the JLA unravel the secret of a creature of unimaginable power and fight to prevent it from unleashing World War III!
Published October 1st 2004 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about JLA, Vol. 14, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JLA, Vol. 14

Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Poor Martian Manhunter. Does he never get a break? I think I feel sorrier for him than for Batman and I LOVE Batman. Good story overall.
Iris Bratton
My favorite Justice League comic so far!

This volume blew me away! I was recommended this after expressing my love for Martian Manhunter, and I couldn't be happier! This highlights his inner struggle as well as proving just how powerful he is.

I haven't felt a book hangover like this in a while! The storyline is interesting, the art is gorgeous, and it ends satisfactorily so you don't have to continue on in the series to know more. I had a blast reading this! If you love the DC universe, definitel
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
One huge problem I have always had with the DC Universe is that their heroes are created too powerful. The likes of Superman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, etc. are shown here to do some unbelievably feats yet they are also succumb to things that wouldn't seem to make sense given their power displays earlier. It's the unevenness that bothers me and its quite evident here. This story, focusing on Martina Manhunter isn't bad but at times it was hazy as what exactly was going on. That could be Joe Kell ...more
Chris Haley
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes extremely well done superhero comics.
Shelves: owned
Every so often, I go back and re-read this, and every time I think, "This is gonna be the time that I realize this book isn't as good as I remember it being."

And every time, this book proves me wrong and is every bit as good as I remember.

I started to say, "I have no idea why this creative team' run on JLA didn't set the world on fire the way Morrison and Porter's before them did." but then I remember what the comic world was like at the time and all the other mitigating factors and sigh.

There a
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Forgot to add this in when I started it and now I'm done. Kelly pulls it off as usual. I was riveted from the start. The setup was actually in the last graphic novel but I just read that one a couple weeks ago. I don't really know that much about Green Lantern or J'ohn's origins so this gave some cool glimpses into what they're all about. Loved the conflicted heroes (especially Superman) who didn't want to kill their long time friend and ally and of course it was cool to see Plastic Man back, he ...more
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dc
Martian Manhunter sorta goes evil, and it’s sorta Green Lantern’s fault! I’m getting a little sick of all the revisionist history with Martians and Oans—they both seem to have a lot of retcons.
On the whole, there were just too many characters in this book (Scorch? Major Disaster? Faith? Manitou Dawn?) for anyone to easily slip into it. Some of the major emotional moments, like Batman talking to Plastic Man’s son, also didn’t hit home.
In the end, and mildly fun blockbuster.
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
By far, this is Joe Kelly's masterpiece in his run of JLA. I don't want to spoil it for anyone going in, I just want to say that you should go into this one blind. Its got the most character development and action I've ever seen, making for a blockbuster that is truly breath-taking and unforgettable.
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Una sequenza, l'ultima di Joe Kelly per la JLA, che ancora una volta non soddisfa per nulla le mie attese. Certo è un poco meglio delle ultime storie, ma in generale è stata una vera pena leggere il ciclo di Kelly.
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, dc
A telepath reeks havok on the earth. It's ok, and there are some nice character touches. This volume concentrates on Superman and Martian Manhunter.
Dec 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Solid, but never really got my juices going.
Jul 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: genre, graphic-novels
This storyline can pretty much be summed up in three words: well, that happened.
Jeff Clay
Oct 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • JLA, Vol. 9: Terror Incognita
  • JLA, Vol. 6: World War III
  • JLA, Vol. 16: Pain of the Gods (JLA, #16)
  • JLA, Vol. 17: Syndicate Rules
  • JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice
  • JLA, Vol. 15: The Tenth Circle (JLA, #15)
  • JLA/Titans: The Technis Imperative
  • Justice League of America: Another Nail (Justice League of America: The Nail, #2)
  • JLA, Vol. 18: Crisis of Conscience

• JLA: Earth 2
  • JLA, Vol. 7: Tower of Babel
  • JLA, Vol. 8: Divided We Fall
  • JLA, Vol. 9: Terror Incognita
“At 13:57 local time, a low yield nuclear warhead exploded in the city of Chongjin, North Korea.

A long standing military target. Chongjin is home to some 532,000 men, women, and children.

This city has survived a number of wars. It will not survive this.

But her people will.

As 13:57 and .00001 microseconds, half a million Koreans seemed to materialize on a hilltop 35 miles away from the blast.

They were carried there . . .

One at a time, sometimes two . . .

At a hair's breadth short of the speed of light . . .

By one man . . .

The Flash. The Fastest Man Alive.”