Start by marking “Generation S.L.U.T.: A Brutal Feel-up Session with Today's Sex-Crazed Adolescent Populace” as Want to Read:

The first exploration of the sex lives of modern teens, as reported from the frontlines by twenty-year-old Marty Beckerman.
Innovatively combining fact and fiction, the book is filled with mind-shattering stats, news reports, and confessions from adolescents nationwide about the new American "Hook-Up Culture," in which 7,700 kids lose their virginity every day.
Far from
Published February 24th 2004 by MTV Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Generation S.L.U.T., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Generation S.L.U.T.

Start your review of Generation S.L.U.T.: A Brutal Feel-up Session with Today's Sex-Crazed Adolescent Populace
Lindsey
Apr 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
I fucking hated this book. I read it a couple of years ago, and at the time it struck me as being very sensationalist, not very well written, and pretty misogynistic. There was a lot of hype surrounding the book because the author was really young when it came out and because the subject matter, part of which is presented as journalism, was "controversial". Personally, I think it would have been much more compelling to present a more well-rounded view of teenage sexuality. Interspersing gory rap ...more
Evan
This book attempts to be the hooking-up bible of Gen-Y, both celebrating and despairing of the directionless, sad, loveless lives of SLUTS (sexually liberated urban teens) circa 2001. About half the book is a fictional novella (broken up along the way by snippets of alarming statistics, news clippings, “anonymous” teen testimonials, and author Beckerman’s own essays and biographical anecdotes as a sexually active Gen-Y teen) telling a somewhat melodramatic, tragic story of the results of the hee ...more
Rene Low
May 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
Yes, he can write. But choosing to write a misogynistic and clichéd novella liberally sprinkled with stats and sensational newspaper stories is a poor choice of applying his skills. The boys in this book are mostly reprehensible and the girls completely undeveloped and non dimensional (sic). Even twenty years ago it wasn’t cool for the boys to treat the girls like this. It lacks insight into the hearts of these kids (and this generation) despite claiming to be just that.
Alyssa
Nov 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes an iteresting book.
Really didnt learn anything from this.. but i thought it was a very interesting book.. and very exciting... this book was really good.. i ended up reading it in 3 hours or so.. i would not reccomend this book to anyone under 13 cause there is a lot of drug use, fould language, etc.
Blanca
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cifras alarmantes sin lugar a duda. Es necesario inculcar muchos buenos valores.
Adam
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-media
Alright, I tend to steer away from MTV products, but this one intrigued me. I barely paid attention to MTV when I was a teenager, and I would say I was the venerable outcast in High School. I think this book is designed to try to get you to identify with at least one of the characters. I was not part of that "party scene" that is talked about, not only here, but in books & movies concerning college. I was the kid that most people only saw at school, because I typically stayed home, played guitar ...more
Alyssa Tallama
This book was not what I expected. From a research standpoint, this book would be a good resource to grab some of the statistics that the author includes in the book - but other than that this book doesn't have any academic value.

While I do agree with the social commentary that is attempted, the story that the author creates seems, in my opinion, extremely far-fetched. As I read through the book, there were certain scenes and situations that made me think "yea, that is true with some teens / pe
Derek
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I can see why someone would hate this book. I did all the way up until the end when my perspective changed.

It's a fast read and pretty immature. "omg, teens are having sex and drinking and don't connect like in the good old days. How nihilistic and meaningless and horrible."

That being said, the author of the book was 20 years old when this was published which I think gives this book perspective. It hints towards the alienation and feelings of hopelessness of the author in a time when he is stil
On My SlOw FlOw NaMeAn
For my age this book is realy nasty and I never want to read a book like this again. I can be mature if somebody says the word "sex" but this book uses every other word I dont want to here at this age. On the other hand it does teach you what can happen if you get ingaged in sexual intercourse at an early age. I only recommend this book to people that can handle it and are interested in things like this.
Daniella
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was a few things: a) a very quick read, b) mildly amusing and concerning at the same time and c) a nice collection of statistics.

It's a nice book to prop up on your bookshelf and does well to raise eyebrows when strangers scan your titles. Even better if you leave it on the coffee table and use it to start a conversation. However past that, I found it pretty useless. It's not a 'curl up and read it' kind of book nor a 'use as a source for a Sociology paper' book.
*|| Darliss ||*
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
this book is not that bad. I would recommened it to people who do like books like these. But i think that it just gives facts and facts about sex and todays life in teenagers. Does this book have a 2nd generation? How come the stories are so so long? my FAVORITE part of the book is in all the chapters the explain facts like for example out of every ..... and it includes some comics also!!!!
Adrian
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro interesante que a manera de cuento nos da una idea de lo que sucede con los jóvenes (en este caso americanos, pero que se puede adaptar a todos los países) y los peligros que corren con el tema de drogas, alcohol y sexo. Es un libro de facil lectura.
Katie Cooper
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have no idea how to review this book: I was intrigued by all the statistics (from 2003) and horrified at the same time. Some of the actual story part wasn't all that fun to read and I wish there had been less of the novel part and more of the statistics/quotes part. Eye-opening and frightening.
Alissa
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was ok
Great premise, horrible and cliched writing.
Matt
Sep 18, 2007 rated it liked it
a romp thru over sexed and over drugged teens. the story is meant to shock you and it has some dubious stats thru the story about what teens are "actually" doing.
Natassia
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it
It would scare any teenager straight.
Sophie
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sophie by: naomi lansing
marty beckerman is a god. and he wrote this at the awesome age of 20. read it. love it.
Maria Zambrano
Nov 02, 2009
Mallory
Dec 28, 2011
Justin
rated it did not like it
Mar 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Bad Feminist
  • The First Forty Days: The Essential Art of Nourishing the New Mother
  • Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture
  • Down the Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of a Former Playboy Bunny
  • Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family
  • The A-List (A-List, #1)
  • On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
  • Magnolia Wednesdays
  • Of Human Bondage
  • Grub, the Bush Baby
  • Commute: An Illustrated Memoir of Female Shame
  • The Afterlife of Billy Fingers: How My Bad-Boy Brother Proved to Me There's Life After Death
  • Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High