Start by marking “Love Songs & Other Lies” as Want to Read:
Love Songs & Other Lies

Love Songs & Other Lies

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  137 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
It’s summer romance and second chances, the songs that stay in your head, and the boy you’ll never forget.

Two years after rock-song-worthy heartbreak, Virginia Miller is looking forward to a fun, carefree summer. Her friends just landed a spot on a battling bands reality show, and Vee is joining them for her dream internship on tour. Three months with future rockstars seem
Expected publication: April 24th 2018 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Love Songs & Other Lies, please sign up.

Jessica Pennington I LOVE love love music, but aside from 8 years of playing the clarinet and 2 learning (unsuccessfully) to play guitar, I'm more of a lyricist,…moreI LOVE love love music, but aside from 8 years of playing the clarinet and 2 learning (unsuccessfully) to play guitar, I'm more of a lyricist, unfortunately. I did buy a guitar while writing LS&OL, though, so I could remember what it felt like to hold and such. So I own a guitar but can't actually play more than a few basic chords (sad, I know!)(less)
Jessica Pennington I love dual timeline and dual POV, too (obviously!) Juggling the two storylines, was definitely the hardest part of writing LS&OL, but it was also…moreI love dual timeline and dual POV, too (obviously!) Juggling the two storylines, was definitely the hardest part of writing LS&OL, but it was also the most fun thing about writing it. It was like one big puzzle, figuring out how to weave together the story of Cam & Vee's past AND their present, into one twisty, turny love story! (less)

Fafa's Book Corner
Updated mini review:

I received this E-ARC via Macmillan-Tor/Forge and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Last year I read the excerpt from Netgalley and fell in love! This was one of my most highly anticipated contemporary release of 2018. I am utterly disappointed.

I'll start off with my likes. Logan was honestly so sweet. A bit stupid but well intentioned. The writing style was good. The point of view and timeline switches were well done. The mystery aspect kept me reading as well as s
Jessica Pennington
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
If you loved Love Songs & Other Lies, be sure to add my next book When Summer Ends (April 2019) to your TBR!
**************************
PRE-ORDER GIFTS for Love Songs & Other Lies are now available! Visit my instagram to find out how you can get awesome swag AND be entered to win one of 2 fun prize-packs! And if you sign up for my newsletter (below) you'll even get one extra piece of swag with your pre-order!
**************************

LOVE SONGS & OTHER LIES (aka my very first book bab
Katie McGarry
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved!!!
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
Love Songs & Other Lies by Jessica Pennington is a whirlwind of a story that combines drama and music in a unique reality show concept. The characters are super relatable and the use of dual timelines and dual points of view give lots of dimension to the plot.

If you are a fan of dramatic plots and reality TV, this is the book for you. There is a lot going on in terms of turmoil, as one might expect, in a book that features a reality show. I love how Pennington tells the stories of Cam and Ve
Karlita
You were the missing lyrics to a song I didn't even know I was writing.
Both feeling alone, consumed by their guilt, fear and anger, Cameron Fuller and Virginia Miller found comfort and solace in each other. Music became the bridge between the gaps that render a strong note in every lyrics of each songs they shared making them vulnerable and exposed to something, more than the intensity of a first love high school romance.

But when fear was confused with white lies of wanting to start a new li
Katerina Kondrenko
4 out of 10

Another book from work. I would love this story about 10 years ago, when I was into music-bands and such. The only thing which helped me through was Cam's mystery. And even this turned out to be a deal as big as it seemed to be. If you love music related stories mixed up with romance, which is all about misunderstandings, then you'll be delighted, I guess)
Jaime Arkin
I loved everything about this book, and it’s honestly no surprise to me. It has all kinds of elements that I love… second chances, best friends, something of a summer road trip… and a little bit of drama.

Vee’s best friends just landed a coveted spot on a battling bands reality show, and Logan, the lead singer, has talked her into joining them and getting some much needed experience in PR and marketing. How can she turn down spending the next three months with her friends and the rest of the ban
Taylor
Mar 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley, arc
"It's a tiny lie...
...Those never come back to haunt us, do they?"

I am so invested in this music-infused storyline. Told in alternating POVs that flash between the past and the present, this contemporary left me feeling hooked. I was only able to read the first 5 chapters via a Netgalley excerpt, but I can't wait to get back into the story come April.
Shaila
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've fallen in love with Cam. Yep. You can't have him! :D

This was a beautifully written, romantic, and poignant second-chances love story, and it grabbed my heart from the start! The story unfolded in a way that drew me in and wouldn't let go well in to the night. Chapters alternated from past to present, and it felt like two stories in one. I loved it! Cam and Vee stole my heart, and I can't wait to read more of their story! <3 Please tell me there's a sequel!!!!

(I was given an ARC for my ho
Alyssa
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-releases
***Review to come***

Dramaaaaaaaaaaaa ugh.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
So, this story is kind of post high school with flashbacks from before, but I'm still considering it YA because there was honestly nothing that really made it feel like it wavered into new adult territory. But it was nearly unputdownable. I know a lot of readers don't like flashbacks, but I love that you get a more well-rounded idea of a character, seeing what they were like before and how they've changed. Seeing where everything went wrong and that they're being given a second chance. I also lo ...more
Katy Upperman
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jessica Pennington’s Love Songs & Other Lies is a music-infused romance about a pair of perfectly imperfect teenagers who will have readers rooting for their happily ever after. Equal parts heartbreaking and hopeful, contemporary young adult fans won’t be able to put this debut down!

1. Characters to cheer for. I'm a fan of both Vee and Cam -- how passionate they are, how vulnerable they are, how screwed up they are, and how much they care for each other. From the very beginning, all's I want
Maggie
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was all kinds of adorable! I loved the dual POV between Vee and Cam, and I loved the dual timelines that played throughout. Pennington did a wonderful job of having convincing and correlating character arcs separated by 2 years and 2 main characters.

I highly recommend to fans of boy bands, redemption arcs, and the magic of reality TV. Guaranteed to make your heart feel warm and fuzzy!
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
I have a thing for contemporaries with music in them. I just always pick them up, and the don’t usually disappoint. I liked Long Songs & Other Lies, but I know it’s going to be a forgettable read for me. While I did really enjoy the Then-Now format and the history it brought to the story, and I always love a good RomCom contemporary, I just didn’t get invested in this. The main problem I had with the story is that my interest started waning and just kept fading the more I read. By the end of ...more
Lauren
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a second chance romance that weaves the past into the present by alternating chapters of Then and Now. We also get both Vee and Cam's perspectives throughout, all of which just makes everything more intense and emotional and sweet and heartbreaking and heartwarming. Aaaahhh. So much FEELING in this book, and the song writing and performing just adds to it all. I was also impressed with the pacing of how information about each character was revealed through both timelines. I sympathized w ...more
Colleen
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received Love Songs & Other Lies by Jessica Pennington from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review but it has no impact on my thoughts. My thoughts are my own.

I absolutely LOVED Love Songs & Other Lies. It was one of those summer music tour type books with friends AND it had two point of views and it was a timeline type of story that was very easy to follow. I just liked the way this book was written, it was just perfection.

And those lyrics were beautiful. I liked all of the char
Cait • A Page with a View
2.5 stars. The first few chapters definitely set up a fun summer story, but I quickly lost interest after that.

Things just got rather boring and the way that the narration jumped back and forth between the past and present didn't help the weak storylines. I did like that the characters were in college and how the narration was split between the POVs of the guy and girl. And the setting of a band tour bus was fun.... but I thought the rest of it was pretty bland, honestly. I don't really care en
Colleen
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A review will be coming soon!
Erin Arkin
Loved this one. Full review to come.
Amelia Brunskill
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love, music, heartbreak and reality tv come together in this absorbing story. Alternating between the past and present of both members of a fractured relationship, Love Songs & Other Lies is a sweet, funny and, at times, sad story about first love.
Ashleigh
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an E-ARC of this book which will be released 4/2018.

This book was great! I loved the two main characters and how they had their flaws...it made them much more endearing. I really enjoyed that it was a battle of the bands reality show and that they were on tour. I felt a whole range of emotions reading this book. I laughed, cried, got angry, cheered the characters on, etc. If you like swoon worthy, contemporary romance, I really think you'll love this book! I definitely recommend it.
A.V. Geiger
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an advance copy, and I loved this book! It's all about first love... and music... and touring with a band... and healing from tragedy. SO MANY FEEEEEEELS! For some reason, the whole storyline from both Cam and Vee's perspective made me think of the song Amnesia by 5SOS (one of my favorites because of its raw heartbreak, full of regret). If you like teen romance with a side of angst, this is the book for you!
Jennifer Shanahan
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-giveaways
I received an ARC sample of this book from NetGalley. I LOVED this sample and I can't wait to read the rest of the book. I don't know if I can hold out until next year! I love books written in first person alternating between the two main characters and this book was exactly that! Vee and Cam seem like really great characters and I can't wait to read their entire story.
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
That was so good! I seriously loved the characters, the story, the writing, all of it. Exactly my kind of story. Can't wait for others to read this wonderful debut. Review to come!
Jordin
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!! I loved the romance, the songs, the then and now storytelling. It had so many feels! I definitely teared up at various sad and happy points.
Irisheyz77
This one started off really slow for me and I was worried that even though it had all the things I love in a story that it wouldn’t work for me. But something happened around the halfway mark, probably around the time that secrets started to be revealed, I became invested. I grew to love these two characters, Cam and Vee, and really hope and pray that they’d find their way back to each other. I’ve never been a fan of “the big secret” trope in books but I do love second chance stories so in the e ...more
Ariana
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings.
The book was pretty entertaining with the mystery and all, enough to read it in one sitting anyways. On the other hand, things were a bit weird with all those "not telling anyone" and "not telling anything" and I also seemed to like the past storyline better. But I did not connect with the main characters and the side ones were just there for the ride, acting randomly just as well.

2.5 stars.
ALEXA
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
LOVE SONGS AND OTHER LIES was fun! It reminded me a little of Katie Cotugno’s books, but with a stronger fan fic feel (which, as a consumer of fic and a former writer of boy band fic, I was all about).
Tiffany Brownlee
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book sooooo much! It made me swoon, it made me sigh. It made me laugh, it made me cry. And I didn't want it to end! If you're looking for a YA romance that will tug on every heartstring you have, then this is the novel for you!
Kelli Spear
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2018
I made a mistake when I chose this. Yes, you read that correctly. Let me explain. I was looking for something to read, something light and easy, in order to fall asleep. Joke was on me, because I was hooked after one chapter. And I didn't put the book down until I'd finished. The whole thing, that is.

I didn't know much about this going in. Just that it was a second chance romance. Friends to lovers to enemies to lovers. And since those are my favorite tropes—SOLD. I cared about nothing else. It
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jessica Pennington is no stranger to the combination of love and drama. She’s a wedding planner, after all. A writer since the age of ten—when she sought publication for her poem about a tree—Jessica likes the challenge of finding the humor in a sad situation or highlighting the awkwardness in a romantic one. She lives in a Michigan beach town suspiciously similar to the one in her novel, with her ...more
More about Jessica Pennington

Young Adult Deals

• Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
  • You Are Not Small
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
  • If I Ever Get Out of Here
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
  • Stop Pretending: Poems About When My Big Sister Went Craz
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
  • Invisible Emmie
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Grit
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Tree
  • Wild Swans
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
“You were the missing lyrics to a song I didn't even know I was writing.” 4 likes
“Someday will be here before you know it, Ginny. Eventually we all run out of tomorrows.” 1 likes