Start by marking “Ordnance” as Want to Read:
Ordnance

Ordnance

(The Fixer #1)

Roland Tankowicz wasn't even legally a person anymore. The aging cyborg had never really recovered from being betrayed and enslaved by his superiors in the Army, and the final insult of being permanently classified as "defunct military ordnance" had been a bitter pill to swallow. Now, he spent most of his time drinking beer and working as a fixer for the crime families in ...more
Published March 24th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Ordnance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordnance

Start your review of Ordnance
Dr susan
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-again, own, favorites
Ordnance is fantastic science fiction. I loved it and highly recommend it. I love the characters, the plot is thrilling, and the ending made me smile. *oops, I forgot a graphic violence warning, but with a title like Ordnance, do I really need one?*
David P. Duffy
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
25th Century Cyborg Libertarian Fixer/Enforcer Tale

"Ordnance," penned by first time author, Mr. Andrew Vaillencourt, proved to be an enjoyable, fast paced tale, of a retired, 25th century, sole surviving Army cyborg, a libertarian, who fills his days (and nights) being a fixer/enforcer for the non-elites/unsavory sorts, of his patch of Boston.

The story has Roland, the MC, climbing out of his self imposed, purgatory of numbing complacency, by the triggering of a lifetime debt, to a long ago
Thomas Allen
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by talking about Jay Ben Markson's performance. If you're like me and you listened to the preview snippet, you may have found his narration to be rocky and crackly to the point where it sounded like it was going to fall apart. This almost kept me from ordering this book. But Mr. Markson's performance turned out to be really quite good. He has good pace and emotion, and he does a good job with the characters.

While very enjoyable, the story itself is nothing revolutionary. It's a
Enzo
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roland Tankowicz likes to keep to himself. He is retired from the armed forces. The joke happens. "The elegant woman walked into the bar and the fight started".
The thing is she says "Breach" which triggers a couple of things in Roland. The woman comes to seek aid from Roland. Lucia Ribiero is running for her life after her father is kidnapped. The setting is Boston in the 25th Century and it's not the same Boston we know.
What ensues is a war between the Gangs and a couple of malevolent
Andrei
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly appreciate the book, my thoughts on Roland always change and it's really hard to picture him, as he is described being a cyborg, but so often I imagine him as a gigantic mech with an enhanced embedded pilot, after all, if I were to cite from the book he has only 10% biological mass. The storyline is 95% linear and very easy to read, and it keeps you pretty intrigued, later on, the book will put much value into the bonds of the characters. And from the second book I see that the bonds ...more
Gemma Bray
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow to originally get into it, but by Chapter 10, it sped up and I started to enjoy! I love the storyline, it's definitely something unusual, I wouldn't think of reading it beforehand. I love the whole futuristic world that Andrew has created, it makes me think that perhaps all this could actually happen. Thank you Andrew for a good book, definitely excited by the other books in this series.
Lukas Lovas
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't often come across the allknowing type of narration, so it was quite enjoyable. Especially considering the backstory of the main character and the revelations of how others see him from their own points of view. At times funny, action filled and well written. I have the second book lined up already :)
Henry Lazarus
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Vaillencourt sets is fun tale of a retired cyborg who is technically “defunct military Ordnance (paper from Amazon). Roland Tankowicz was the only survivor of the Golem project which produced unstoppable warriors. Unfortunately corrupt brass had a way of turning their brains off when the job required. The rest of the group suicided, but Don Ribiero, one of his designers fixes that. Roland works as a fixer in a crime ridden neighborhood of future Boston. Then Don’s daughter, Lucia, asks ...more
Ulysses S. Cruz
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read...

I love the author's writing style. The prose is tight, and easy to read, yet provides enough flavor to really feel each scene and character.
Best of all, the characters feel real, fully developed, and believable.

I can't wait for the next book in the series.
Nadja
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, noir, cyberpunk
I really, really enjoyed the old, detective noir style overlaid on the not-so-distant future world. As an eight-foot (or was it nine?) cyborg, Roland "Breach" Tankowicz more than fills the shoes of Dashiel Hammet or Raymond Chandler's tough-as-nails heroes. Add the fact that the dame in this story is less damsel and more butt-kicking beast in her own right, and you get a cyberpunk romp that's just a bunch of fun. Vaillencourt's main character carries black and white ideals for what's right and ...more
James Marquis
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We're definitely headed toward a future filled with enhanced humans and the author does a nice job painting that picture. The plot moves along well and you can tell a lot of research has been done. Interesting stuff.
Jack
To lazy to write a review, but brilllliant! A real nice smashing book, simple, but well executed. Good romance and a quick read. No annoying characters, no irritating writing, just solid writing. Beautiful
Michelle Trudeau
Fun read

Action, humor, romance and well written to boot. What else could I ask for? Definitely worth reading and a good time
Michael James Dillon
Great book!

Really great book! A military action and love story all in One.

Plus, it gave me a lot of satisfaction to see the good guy, and girl win.

Buy it!
Ziggy Nixon
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fair-ish book at discount prices
And now: a voice of dissension.... 2-ish stars. I was disappointed - severely so - by this book as I had such high hopes for it and the following tomes.

"Ordnance" - which for some weird reason is subtitled 'The Fixer' - is an interesting concept that was unfortunately haunted by uneven pacing (the first several dozen pages are very poor in this regard) and clichéd phrasing. Seriously, up to about page 50+, I had the feeling we were trying to quickly cram in the plot from a supposed 'The Fixer
Emilie
Some hard science-fiction, some action-adventure, some psychology, various interesting viewpoints and some very clever use of words kept my interest. The punctuation isn't too good around dialogue, and I saw some typos, but the imagery, action, and characters' feelings were very clear.

Some of the viewpoints were of thugs and other vicious people, but they weren't emotionally very deep. It was more to show those characters' mental calculations. And ordinarily I get upset when a viewpoint
Tony Hinde
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

A solid novel with decent characters. It does seem a little dated in style... petrol is still a thing; A.I.s are barely fleshed out, etc. The world holds few surprises.

The biggest flaws were in character motivations. A villain that now obsessively hates the protagonist simply because a fight was lost... a fight that the villain initiated, (weak trigger). Lucia goes from not wanting to kill an assassin, (despite him trying to kill her and having a history of killing even kids), to
Rob Enderle
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read, liked it so much I bought the rest of the set. Not a lot of sex, which didn't make that much sense anyway (which I'm good with), really decent action in what is a bugs bunny story line (really little doubt the hero is going to win, the only mystery is how much the bad guys are going to get hurt in the process, hint, a lot!). If you have a sense like I do that the bad people just win too often this is the kind of violent feel good book for you. It is just kind of nice to have ...more
MKenfield21
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weapons and tactics are well thought-out, which is extremely rare in books these days.

And the characters are diverse and fairly interesting.

Unqualified recommendation.

The author does repeatedly misuse the word "nonplussed," which seems pretty silly to me at this point. Doesn't everyone know it means the opposite of what it sounds like?
PJ Lea
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ronald is a good man/cyborg unwilling to stand by any longer and let bad men prevail.
A fantastic story, violent yet emotional, with engaging characters and a great plot.
I would have given it 5 stars if not for the editing issues; there are far too many instances where 'a' or 'the' is missing.
David
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Packs a wicked punch!

I really liked the way the story portrays the set of characters. It’s sparse, dry, portrayal which is humorous at the same time. The dialog between the various characters encountering Roland is much like you would imagine in a Old style PI movie or book. Well worth the time to read.
Kelly Willcoxbrackeen
Very different, but exciting...

This second book about Roland was definitely a step up from the opening story. It is well written, full of action and definitely not predictable. Well worth the read.
John Hulet
Predictable..

Roland is a lot of fun to read. He’s simple, stalwart and trustworthy. His past is ugly, but the author does a good job letting the reader feel why Roland’s not the bad guy he believes. The rest felt easy to guess was going to happen....especially the relationship.
Mike
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Criminally underrated author.
Mark Turner
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good humour and lots of action.

Nice tech, enjoyable characters and an interesting story with lots of blowing stuff up. Looking forward to the next one.
Melinda
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Good read . Bad guys and good guys . Plausible corporate future with home planet diaspora and rebellion and an old soldiers burdens
Slappy
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun military romp with underworld and corporate intrigue.
Alston Antony
The fast paced book with a lot of fighting and next level sci-fi stuffs. Overall a fun book to read.
Oldklingon
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this one. A good balance of character development and action. I am hunting for the next book in the series.
CJ
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a superb science fiction book! Lots of action with amazingly well thought out characters. This is a fun book and I look forward to the rest of the series.
Goodreads Librari...: The Fixer series 3 15 Mar 21, 2018 11:01AM
psssttt.... GIVEAWAY 1 1 Jun 09, 2017 11:59AM

• Marine (Terran Scout Fleet, #1)
  • The Last Reaper (Last Reaper #1)
  • Fear the Reaper (Last Reaper #2)
  • Rebellion (Omega Force #11)
  • Wholesale Slaughter: (Wholesale Slaughter Book 1)
  • Borough of Bones (Zone War, #2)
  • Bound By Law (Vigilante, #3)
  • Shockwave (Star Kingdom #1)
  • C.A.E.C.O. (Demon Accords, #15)
  • Sword of Mars (Starship's Mage, #7)
  • Blade of the Reaper (Last Reaper #3)
  • To Serve and Protect (ONSET, #1)
  • Bound by Blood (Vigilante, #5)
  • A House Divided (Terran Armor Corps #4)
  • Zone War (Zone War, #1)
  • Iron Dragoons (Terran Armor Corps #1)
  • Finish What You Started (The Kurtherian Endgame, #5)
  • Terminus Cut: (Wholesale Slaughter Book 2)

The Fixer (6 books)
  • Hell Follows (The Fixer, #2)
  • Hammers and Nails (The Fixer #3)
  • Aphrodite's Tears (The Fixer #4)
  • Dead Man Dreaming (The Fixer, #5)
  • Head Space (The Fixer, #6)