Start by marking “Mister Tender's Girl” as Want to Read:
Mister Tender's Girl

Mister Tender's Girl

How far are you willing to go for Mister Tender?

At fourteen, Alice Hill was viciously attacked by two of her classmates and left to die. The teens claim she was a sacrifice for a man called Mister Tender, but that could never be true: Mister Tender doesn’t exist. His sinister character is pop-culture fiction, created by Alice’s own father in a series of popular graphic nov
Published February 13th 2018 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about Mister Tender's Girl, please sign up.
Carter Wilson It was inspired by that. When I first read the news article about the Slenderman crime, I got about two paragraphs in when I stopped reading, because…moreIt was inspired by that. When I first read the news article about the Slenderman crime, I got about two paragraphs in when I stopped reading, because I knew I wanted my next book to be framed around that idea. Mostly, I wanted to explore what that girl (the victim) turned into as an adult. How did she cope with what happened to her? That turned into the major theme of MISTER TENDER'S GIRL.

Thanks for your question.(less)
Racheal Taylor Well Alice dialed the phone for him to call for help, and later Alice hears the sirens. As for future in his life I'm not really sure. I wish there…moreWell Alice dialed the phone for him to call for help, and later Alice hears the sirens. As for future in his life I'm not really sure. I wish there had been a little more epilogue done.(less)

Chelsea Humphrey
3.5 STARS

"For better or for worse, Alice, you can never separate yourself from your children. They are an extension of you. I haven't spoken to my girls in over ten years, but they are still a part of me."

"Like a tree," I say. "Branches on a tree."

"No," he answers. "Like a cancer."

This was one messed up book, and I mean that in the best way possible. While it won't be the preferred taste of every reader, those who enjoy tales of dark deceit and disturbing disasters will likely take to Mister Ten
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: .....I catch his stare, and his gaze is locked on me. There's an endless longing to it, as if I'm the ghost of someone he once loved. . .

Sometimes I meet a person and my paranoia insists they already know me. Know everything. Where I live. How many scars I have. My real last name. It's a game my mind likes to play when it thinks I'm getting complacent, or cured.

THE BLURB: How far are you willing to go for Mister Tender?

At fourteen, Alice Hill was viciously attacked by two of her classm
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I think this is based on the Slender Man case...that I completely didn't understand. I had to ask the kid. Apparently two girls stabbed a girl because Slender Man told them to do it.

Okkkkaayyy.

This story is about Alice who was stabbed by two twin girls and left for dead when she was fourteen. The girls were trying to impress a character from a series of graphic novels called Mister Tender. Mister Tender was a bartender/demon who would give you whatever your heart desired if you did little jobs
Kaceey
4.5 *
I’m sure most everyone is familiar with the Slender Man attacks that took place some years ago. This book has a similar theme to that tragic event. (In fact, the author and publishers even recognize and credit the similarities.)

When Alice was growing up she was viciously attacked by two young girls. They explained to the authorities that the fictitious Mr. Tender had encouraged the attack. So...just how far are you willing to go for Mr. Tender?

Years later Alice has come across the pond to
Debra
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"There's nothing in this world more trapping than one's own mind."

Now this is how you do a psychological thriller. I could almost feel Alice's fear, her anxiety, her dread, her anger, her desire to finally be done with people's obsession with Mister Tender and the attack which almost killed her.

When Alice was fourteen years old she was viciously attacked by twin sisters who believed they were doing the work of Mister Tender. But there is a catch - there is always a catch! - Mister Tender does no
Susanne  Strong
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars.

One Shock After the Next! Talk about a Creep Fest..

Thanks to Carter Wilson, I still can’t get Mister Tender out of my head, and after reading this, I’m betting you’ll have the same problem.

Alice Gray, (formerly Alice Hill) is a small cafe owner living in Massachusetts who thought she had escaped her past - unfortunately for her, she is very wrong. At the age of fourteen, Alice was brutally stabbed by two girls in her class who were inspired by Mister Tender, someone they would do absolut
Melisa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, arc, netgalley
Crazy unique plot, brilliant storytelling - you will not trust anyone for even a second. You will be horrified and scared and creeped out.

Read this one in less than 24 hours. I want this review to be short and sweet so you can go into it knowing as little as possible.

Recommend reading with the light on.

Thank you to Netgalley, Sourcebooks Landmark and Carter Wilson for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Kendall
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh my! Now.... that was a unique psychological thriller! Hello Mister Tender ;)

Now, who do you ask is Mister Tender?! At the age of fourteen, Alice Hill was viciously attacked by two twin girls that were obsessed with mister tender. Mister Tender is a fictional character that Alice's father created through a series of graphic comics.

Alice survived this crucial attack and moved away from her horrible past with her brother and mother. She changed her name to Alice Gray and opened a cute coffee sh
Carrie
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Mister Tender’s Girl by Carter Wilson is a thriller that is loosely inspired by a true story. Now having vague memories of the event I believe this book was based on I had a feeling that this would be one good read that I would enjoy and thankfully I was not wrong.

The story starts off introducing Alice Hill who bears the scars from an attack over a decade before not only on the outside but the inside as well. At just fourteen two girls whom she’d thought were friends viciously attacked Alice bla
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
"How's your mother, Alice?"
The question catches me a bit off guard, so I reply with the first answer that enters my mind.
"Fat," I say, then start laughing..."she's so fat, Charles."

Well hell then, aside from the fat shaming and a couple racial stereotypes regarding people of color, Mister Tender's Girl was somewhat of a fast-paced thrill ride and ironically, a lackluster read.

I honestly thought given the dark nature the premise of the book had to offer, I was expecting something much darker
Jan
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damn, I'm sad this one is over!

I was intrigued when I read this was inspired by the 'Slender Man' fictional character, who was brought to the nation's attention when 2 local WI teenage girls stabbed a friend 19 times in it's honor. Having happened in a neighboring state, the coverage of this crime was constant. I remember being baffled and confused as to how something like this could even happen, so I grabbed this book in hopes of some better clarity.

While it did serve that purpose, I have to s
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was lost in the creepy, wooded craggy coulee with Kaceey and Susanne reading Mister Tender’s Girl and we were having quite the creep-fest as Susanne called it in our coulee. Once we started this entertaining fast-paced story we tore through it in almost a day, terrified and wanting to get out of the coulee as fast as we could but enjoying this chilling story.

Mister Tender’s Girl is a complex, dark, and intriguing suspenseful thriller with a few layers that adds some great tension and reason t
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
While I was pretty surprised by the ending, this was an absolute slog. It took me two weeks to finish bc I just could not bring myself to care 😐
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

When Alice was just a little girl she was attacked by twins who were trying to please “Mister Tender.” While Mister Tender’s Girl flat out states in the blurb that it was inspired by the true events surrounding a brutal stabbing of a young girl by two classmates who claim they did it in the name of the “Slender Man” – the character of Mister Tender reminded me less of this . . . .

And more of this . . . .

(If you don't know who that
Mandy
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Go read this. Drop everything else you’re reading and read this!

Alice, sole owner of her coffee shop, The Stone Rose was once a young girl who survived a brutal attack by two girls posing as her friends. They stabbed her and left her for dead. But someone saved her in the nick of time and now she’s an adult living on her own but still haunted by her past.

One day at work she finds a book mailed to her from London. She immediately recognizes the work and illustrations of her father, but he’s dead
Dennis
Mister Tender's Girl is one sick, twisted, WILD RIDE! Wow... I feel like I just got off of a roller coaster and my brain is still rattling. I need to take deep breaths while I write this because I'm still gasping.

Alice, what did the penguin always tell you?

Alice Hill is fourteen years old when she was horribly attacked by two of her classmates and left for death. Melinda and Sylvia Glassin both claim that they repeatedly stabbed Alice because it was a sacrifice to Mister Tender, a fictional ch
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
At the age of fourteen, Alice was brutally attacked by two of her classmates who claimed to be acting on the direction of ‘Mister Tender’, a fictional comic book character who claims to give you what you desire most – but only if you complete horrible acts. Incidentally, Mister Tender was created by Alice’s own father. Left barely alive, Alice’s life changes forever.

Now, more than 10 years later, Alice is living in a new country and has attempted to leave her past behind her, until she realizes
Katie B

The book isn't perfect but man it was a page-turner! I couldn't get enough of this creepy story with messed-up characters. The story was inspired by the real-life Slender Man case in which two 12 year old girls stabbed their classmate claiming the fictional character made them do it.

In this book, Alice Hill was brutally attacked by twin girls when she was fourteen. The girls say Mister Tender convinced them to stab Alice. Mister Tender though is just a character in the graphic novels A
Brenda
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Brenda by: Perri
I thought this book was headed toward five star territory, but I felt let down by the ending. I needed a bigger bang.

It winds up with three people in a room. (view spoiler)
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐💫 / 5

First of all, many thanks to Sourcebooks Landmark for providing me with an advance review copy of this book via NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

Mister Tender's Girl is fiction, but is actually inspired by the true story of The Slender Man stabbing. If you aren't familiar with it, two girls were arrested for stabbing another girl 19 times as a tribute to the internet meme "The Slender Man". The girls were all 12 years of age. If you've never seen the character, it's creepy AF and I do
Sean Peters
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, thank you to Carter for a signed copy/preview book to read and read, and also for supporting my group "A Good Thriller. Also for spending a day doing an A & Q for my group.

Although an unusual title this is a full blown fantastic Psychological Thriller and more.

This is an Intriguing, gripping, rollercoaster of a thriller, full of suspense, shocks and some massive surprises. This book is addictive, very hard to stop reading!

Compelling that as I reader I was forever asking myself quest
Do you remember the Slender man stabbing in 2014? Two twelve year old girls took their "friend" into the woods and stabbed her 19 times claiming they did it because Slender Man (a fictional character made up on the internet) told them to. Thankfully, the young girl who was stabbed survived. Mister Tender's Girl is based on exactly that.
You might even argue that if someone wanted to stab me, why would they bother relying on my knife? Surely they would bring their own.

Alice Hill was stabbed repea
Trevor
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I could not put this down! Having never read anything by Wilson before (and add onto the fact that it's another book with 'girl' in the title), I didn't have the highest of expectations. However, I was pleasantly surprised & impressed with how well written MISTER TENDER'S GIRL is & will be looking forward to reading the author's other works.

Admittedly, I don't have that much knowledge of the actual Slender Man case, so perhaps that heightened my enjoyment of the novel (although it's ver
Shannon
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh em gee! What a thriller! Mister Tender’s Girl by Carter Wilson was AMAZING! Make sure you add this to your TBR when it comes out in February.

Do you remember the Slender Man Case? I didn't at first until Chandra reminded me. A girl was stabbed by two of her friends left to die. They did it because of the Slender Man. I saw a documentary on it and I mean, come on, two teen girls stabbing their friend?! Sign me the eff up! So to find a book that is based on that true story I was HOOKED! I couldn
Rachel
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

Not sure what would be more disturbing; the idea of an author creating this story inside his/her head or the fact that this psychological thriller is actually inspired by real life events. YIKES!

SUMMARY
This book was inspired by the Slender Man Stabbing which occurred in 2014 in Wisconsin. Two twelve year old girls stabbed their friend nineteen times and left her for dead saying they were being coerced by a fictional character named The Slender Man. Crazy but true. The victim survived t
Michelle
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alice Hill is attacked by knife wielding twins when she is 14 yrs old. They were inspired to attack her by her own fathers graphic novel Mr. Tender. After the attack her parents divorce and her mother moves her and her younger brother to the U.S. from London in hopes of escaping the past. As we all know sometimes the past does not want to be forgotten and here begins our novel.

This is a fast paced read with short punchy chapters that keep you flipping the pages. At almost 400 pages I was able t
Bam
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 stars

"If you get the sudden urge to start trusting someone, be smart and do away with it," advises Ferdinand the Penguin in the epic adventure story Reginald Hall tells his children, Alice and Thomas, each night as he tucks them into bed.

From that story which he called Chancellor's Kingdom, he creates a series of popular graphic novels based on an evil character in his fable. The character is named Mister Tender; he is a charismatic and handsome bartender who pours his customers their drin
Ellen Gail
“You’re the queen of scars, Alice, but I’m the queen of you."

Mister Tender's Girl is ridiculously fun and twisted. It occasionally goes over the top, but like a drink with a heavy pour, that's not always a bad thing.

Things with neither form nor mass scare me the most. Like silence. And memories. Nighttime. If I had been stabbed during the day, would I dread the sunrise every morning, like a vampire?

Is it ridiculous? Yes. Unashamedly so. Believable? Ehhhh, parts of it. I definitely had to mut
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: February 13, 2018
Genre: Thriller and Suspense

The Bad News: This book was NOTHING like what I had expected it to be.
The Good News: It didn't even matter what I expected because this book far surpassed what I would have wanted anyways.

Mister Tender's Girl is a fantastically written, fast faced, and insanely twisted ride that had me flipping the pages almost faster than I could read. I am new to Carter Wilson's writing but I have a feeling that after reading this one, I am going
Sara
Ah sometimes I just want a good scare. I want to disappear into a beautiful nightmare for a little while and just float around in the dark. Sometimes I want tragedy and broken people and violence. But its so damn rare to find that and beautiful language, a writer who really makes love to the page so that the ghastly becomes gorgeous.

I confess I was anticipating a quick and cornball pop true crime riddled gore fest with this fabulous book but, contrary to popular belief, I am always thrilled when
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions 2 15 Jun 15, 2018 01:37PM

• Like Lions (Bull Mountain, #2)
  • Darkness at the Edge of Town (Iris Ballard #2)
  • Killing Secrets (Nan Vining Mysteries #5)
  • Thirty-Seven
  • Bright Coin Moon
  • Toothless
  • Blood Standard (Isaiah Coleridge, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of the Mummy
  • Died in the Wool (Torie O'Shea, #10)
  • The Storm Murders (The Storm Murders Trilogy, #1)
  • Ultima (Maestra, #3)
  • The Beauty of Murder
  • Mercy Mode (Contaminated, #2)
  • The Hidden People
  • The Half Killed
  • The Dead House
  • Murder has a Motive (Mordecai Tremaine #1)
  • The Forgotten Girl
USA Today and #1 Denver Post bestselling author Carter Wilson has written five critically acclaimed, standalone psychological thrillers, as well as numerous short stories. He is an ITW Thriller Award finalist, a three-time winner of the Colorado Book Award, and his novels have received multiple starred reviews from Publishers Weekly, Booklist, and Library Journal. His sixth novel, The Dead Girl in ...more
“The concept of tomorrow is an illusion, a sweeping gesture of time. Marketing.” 2 likes
“At some point, all you can do is pray. This is true whether or not you even believe in God.” 0 likes