Start by marking “Not Just Lucky” as Want to Read:
Not Just Lucky

Not Just Lucky

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  329 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Media star Jamila Rizvi’s exploration of the confidence deficit holding women back, the barriers to career success this can create, and how they might be overcome. Accessible and timely, this is essential reading for millennial women.

Australian women are suffering from a crisis of confidence about work, captives to a voice inside their heads that says they’re not good enou
Published July 3rd 2017 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Not Just Lucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Just Lucky

Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Have you ever noticed that really successful women are always lucky?’

When I first joined the paid workforce back in 1974, as a shop assistant in a women’s shoe store, my (male) boss was still complaining that equal pay (granted to women in 1969) forced him to pay women more, even though males were physically stronger. This physical strength, he told me, would have enabled a male to carry more boxes of shoes up from the basement store room. When I left the shoe store a few months later to start
Jules
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I think the audience that would get the most from Not Just Lucky would probably be young women just entering the workforce. While the information and message is valuable and important, overall there's not any new ideas being presented within this book. I did find some chapters, such as Coping With Setbacks and How To Ask For More, had some affirming insight and practical approaches that would be genuinely useful, and I responded more to the sections of the book that had less mummy-blogger-style ...more
Anna
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish this book had been around at the start of my career, when I was young and reasonably confident, and around five years ago, when my career felt like it was going to hell in a handbasket. But now I've read it I'm going to take advantage of its messages. While the author explains at the beginning that the whole book might not apply to every reader, in my case all but one chapter was highly relevant to my personal experiences in the workplace. I was surprised to know how common my secret lack ...more
Kirsten
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to admit to struggling with this at first, I wasn’t really in the career headspace (and I had a weird thing against Rizvi because of Mamamia - that sisterhood chapter probably written for me). But I put it aside for a month and suddenly I am thinking about work again and it was very easy to get back into it.

There’s a lot of great insight here but what was really valuable was the practical advice and useful career tips (often a rarity in these types of books), particularly in the chapters
Jocelyn (foxonbooks)
3.5 stars. Rizvi offers some great insights into women in the workplace, how success and hard work are what women mean when they say they got lucky, and how we can avoid pitfalls set in our way.
Jocie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is like the cross-generational Lean In. Where I found myself tuning out a bit while reading Sheryl Sandberg's manifesto (simply because it seemed like it was a book for women who were in a very different stage of their career to me), Jamila Rizvi's book felt relevant, regardless of where you are on the career ladder. As someone who is just starting out, I found it as useful as someone who perhaps has a few more years on their career plate.

Also the number of times I found myself nodding
Heather
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Y'know, I thought this book was coming along at the time I'm at non-fic fatigue, as listening to audiobooks has meant I've been cramming them daily, but just as I was getting to the point of giving up the book surprised me. Clocking women's use of justs in an email right as I'm writing an email that contained several justs, highlighting cases of really successful women putting their career path down to luck and not talent right as I saw someone post something along those lines - it was really go ...more
Annabel Pizzata
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I thought it would be much less when I first started, it seemed so similar to Annabel Crabb’s Wife Drought except so much more ranty. But as I went on, the book contained more useful advice, even if it was contained in too many ‘X-step approaches’. I am at a weird place in my career so whilst this book didn’t really cover anything I haven’t heard before, it was a good reminder at a good time.
Anna Louise
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the correct way to write about women in workplace. Too many other books get involved in man hating and man blaming which is not the meaning of equality and feminism. Please read this book!
Kelly Anderson
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Jamila was able to articulate the many challenges women face in the workplace and in navigating relationships to support women in the workforce. I found myself feeling really empowered by the real way in which she has written about both her and other women’s experiences. Recommended reading for all.
Kathryn
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for all women but especially those at the start of their careers. Reading it is like you are sitting down with an old friend and chatting about everything and anything to do with being a female in the workforce. Jamila is bloody amazing and this is a powerful reminder that you aren't just lucky!
Megan
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I saw Jamila in action at a recent conference and she was brilliant. Amongst the women, and men, who are speaking up on gender diversity Jamila is one of the brightest, smartest of them all. Despite this I hesitated to read this book at first. There are only so many diversity books one can read in a year without becoming totally despondent. BUT, do it. Read this one. I have a teenage daughter and this is the one I will recommend she reads first. Jamila's 'voice' is devoid of patronising tone. Sh ...more
Melissa
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Something I have always admired about Jamila Rizvi's writing is how clear and accessible it is – she never gets bogged down with academic obfuscation (I say, obfuscating) when discussing complex social issues. And that's important in a book that you should buy for every woman you know in the workforce, especially if they're 14 and have landed their first job at Hoyts. Not Just Lucky has all the facts and footnotes (there are 26 pages of endnotes) a gal determined to debate that rude bro in the b ...more
Lutfiye
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good read.
Full of great explanations as to why we behave the way we do. While some maybe obvious after Jamila points them out, they do explain a great deal about the way we are programmed to think and behave, as women.
We are a product of experiences as we go through life, but this book does more than highlight that. This book shows that we are not exceptions to these feelings but we are in great company of others who have faced similar challenges and how they overcame them.
As som
Kym Hamer
Rizvi writes about her experiences Down Under but she could be writing about a lot of other places too. It's a frank and engaging accounting of Rizvi's wins, losses and mis-steps and she admonishes us to examine how much we underplay what it actually takes i.e. what we've done, to make it, win, succeed. Someone once said to me the harder you work the luckier you get - Rizvi's book encourages us to think about how we communicate our successes not just to each other but also to the next generation ...more
Bonnie
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd read Jamila's shopping list, listen to her interview a snail and watch her mow her lawn. I think she is utterly rad and this book is an absolute testimony to that. It's a great book, well written, funny, throughout provoking and filled with astounding facts and depressing anecdotes BUT it wasn't depressing, boring or soul shattering. Instead it is a positive, light filled novel for the modern day feminist. Let's not be angry, but let's get even with the males in society- purely through shatt ...more
Ashley
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not Just Lucky is better than, and a more modern version of, Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office, with a lot more discussion, and a lot less "telling". I would recommend reading this book with a positive mindset. Every time the storyline heads down what could be a depressive path, it flips into positive action. I loved how it didn't leave you in the gloomy depths of how unfair life can be, but inspires positive action in making the working world a better place for everyone.
Kris
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Should be a much quicker read than I took - but lots of interruptions in life for the reading of this particular book.
I attended the book launch where Jamila spoke passionately about women today and the structures of life and work that get in the way - as well as the pretty thorough internal voices that many women possess - and impact their attempts let alone their successes.
I enjoyed it. More like 3.5*s than 3.
Plenty of plain speaking examples, and citations of data quoted.
Déwi Adam
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
3 1/2 stars from a reader whose perspective is that of somebody who has been around half a century and who has lived a lot of what Jamila writes about in her book. It is an easy read but as another reviewer commented it is a book for a younger generation. For young women about to embark on a career there is a lot of good advice - hence my 5 stars. I will encourage my teenage daughters to read this.
Jeanette
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great tips, especially for those in early career. It explains those phenomenons at work that can be really confusing and confronting. If you can't quite figure out why your best isn't getting you recognised, this offers practical tips and good reminders for those of us well on in our careers as well.
Emma Crameri
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Some good points. Some points not so great. The whole chapter on “working with mean girls” is dismissive and explained because we expect women to be nice. Totally not my experience in working in a male dominated industry. Complaining about sexism doesn’t necessarily make you a hero. In some situations, you need to let it slide. I don’t think it’s always such a black and white issue.
Lauren
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has changed my world. A must read for women at all stages of their careers which provides insightful guidance and advice. It's written in a conversational, friendly style that never feels lecturing or preachy, all props go to Jamila Rizvi for this. I feel like this book will become my bible of sorts throughout career and personal challenges, love it!
Chelsea
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A clear appraisal of the challenges women face in the workforce, looking at both the large-scale legislative and societal changes needed and how we as individuals can navigate the system and improve the situation for ourselves and others. Reads like a conversation with a warm, wise and witty friend who isn't afraid to share her own mistakes. Will be highly recommending to my female friends.
Tamzin
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an important read, but noting that it is fairly entry level and for myself I didn’t find anything new in it, I did enjoy the personal anecdotes tho and the author has had quite an incredible career.
Tania
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
"On average men tend to apply for jobs when they have 60% of the skillset listed in the job advertisement. Women on the other hand only apply when they match 100% of the criteria." A great book for women starting out in their careers or trying to navigate the overtly sexist corporate world.
Bree Bacon
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was beautifully refreshing to read something that not only pointed out the bad, but also highlighted the good. Jamila offers solutions and advice that everyone (women, men, and everyone in between) can learn from.
Amanda
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Draws together themes regarding sexism, unconscious bias and culture, and applies them to women in the workforce. She also covers off recommendations regarding leadership and productivity to round out the book.
Meagan
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is the sort of book that resonates with a range of different people for a range of different reasons.

I found the use of research, facts and history extremely insightful and affirming.

It is engaging, witty and something I highly recommend.
Emily
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book informative, refreshing and inspiring. As someone who struggles with confidence, this book explored themes that I have commonly found in my working life.

This book made me feel empowered to take charge and when reading the conclusion, I got goosebumps.
Chloe
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, society, women
An honest, compassionate and practical look at workplace dynamics. Includes great advice for all genders on people management, time management and other essential career skills.