Start by marking “The Armored Saint (The Sacred Throne, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Armored Saint (The Sacred Throne, #1)

The Armored Saint

(The Sacred Throne #1)

In a world where any act of magic could open a portal to hell, the Order insures that no wizard will live to summon devils, and will kill as many innocent people as they must to prevent that greater horror. After witnessing a horrendous slaughter, the village girl Heloise opposes the Order, and risks bringing their wrath down on herself, her family, and her village.
Published February 20th 2018 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Armored Saint, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kelsey Smellsy I was curious about this too! It could be that as the connection was severed, Twitch just reverted back to a wild animal. Or the seizure meant the…moreI was curious about this too! It could be that as the connection was severed, Twitch just reverted back to a wild animal. Or the seizure meant the bite was accidental and Heloise's blood did play a role. Hard to say. Hopefully this is answered in the next book!(less)

Mark Lawrence
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Read it in two days, which is always a good sign. Though sometimes I do savour books I'm really into too...

This isn't a book for savouring, it's a hard hitting tale that doesn't let up until it's done. The punches come both emotionally and, in the actions scenes, literally. The title girl is the main character and we see events unfold through her eyes. Cole does a great job portraying her inner life along with her often poor decision making that comes from a good place.
Petrik
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of grimdark fantasy with great heroine
ARC provided by the publisher—Tor.com—in exchange for an honest review.

Constantly pulse-pounding, The Armored Saint is a poignant, tension-packed grimdark fantasy and a glorious beginning to a trilogy.

I started The Armored Saint with zero knowledge about the book; I didn’t know what it was about, and I had never even heard of the name Myke Cole. What captured my attention was Robin Hobb’s blurb and its stunning cover art by Tommy Arnold. Luckily, I’m pleased to say that the book’s tone totally m
Melanie

ARC provided by Tor in exchange for an honest review.

“Love is worth it. It is worth any hardship, it is worth illness. It is worth injury. It is worth isolation. It is even worth death. For life without love is only a shadow of life.”

Well, I think it’s safe for me to yell from the rooftops: pre-order The Armored Saint now, guys! What an amazing ride, even though I wasn’t ready for it to be over. This is easily one of the best things I’ve read in 2017, and this is truly epic fantasy at its fi
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
On sale now! Unfortunately it's a weak 3 stars for me, maybe 2.5. I'm an outlier here, so if you love the idea of a young, idealistic, and passionately impulsive gay character fighting against evil religious oppression in a medieval setting, this book will be right up your alley. Full review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

In Heloise’s land, the foremost rule of the Order is clear: “Suffer no wizard to live.” For the exercise of magical powers, it is said, will open a portal to hell through
Orient
Million 💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

After seeing wonderful reviews for this book on GR, had to try it! Special thanks to Petrik who got me infected with "Armored Saint".

What an amaztastic short read. Loved it, all of it! The characters, the pace, the worldbuilding and of course the

and the juicy

Can't wait for the next book to come out!

P.S.WARNING: LGBT traces.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
3 1/2 stars.

The most important question on whether or not I can enjoy high fantasy, at least for now as I’m still a newby, is whether or not I can engage in the narrative. High fantasy is an enjoyable genre, but sometimes, the longer and slower of the genre make me forget. Or my mood will. And this novella-length fantasy novel with an incredibly engaging story is the perfect example of entertaining and fast-paced high fantasy.

Okay, let’s break down why this novella works so well.
note: This r
Richard Derus
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, quiltbag
Rating: 4.9* of five

I have a confession to make right off the bat: I didn't request this book. My Tor.com Publishing contact, knowing I am big on books with queer representation, figured I'd like this and sent it along. I looked at it in some surprise because it's by Myke Cole, The Shadow Ops-superhero-y military SF guy. If you've paid me the smallest bit of attention before now, you know I detest superhero-y crap and am only enjoying milSF from a gay-male PoV these days. I was a history major.
TS Chan
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TS by: Petrik
Shelves: arc-review-copy
I received an advanced reading copy in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 stars.

A superbly well-crafted gritty story with memorable characters, tight pacing and vivid prose in just over 200 pages, The Armored Saint is one of the best novellas I've ever read.

200 pages are not exactly short by any standard for literary fiction. In fantasy, however, where stories are told in a secondary world complete with its own lore and history, social and political structure, it does not provide a lot of ground
Becky
RELEASE DAY 02/20/2018

I received this book from a NetGalley wish

Reading Gemini Cell sent me on a bit of a reading frenzy towards the end of this year. It was fresh and different and I queued the entire series on my Kindle and then thrilled to see that Cole had started his next series. Armored Saint is a medieval, grimdark fantasy and a fresh and exciting addition to the genre.

It was also my favorite book of 2017

The Armored Saint is action in concert with tension and there is a lot to love
Terence
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
"Suffer no wizard to live."

The Order ensures no wizards, wizard sympathizers, or wizard harborers are allowed to live lest hell's dark maw opens once again allowing demons to walk among man. When Heloise and the villagers of Lutet are gathered to assist the Order by razing a nearby town and all of it's inhabitants, Heloise and her father defy instructions and bring the Orders' wrath to Lutet.

The Armored Saint was a mixed bag for me. I was immediately drawn into the story based on the Order and
Kristen
A copy was provided in exchange for an honest review. Thank you.

"Fear's a deadly thing, Heloise. It can drain a person of all their strength, make them weak before their enemies. That's how we were until you showed us different. But we see now, and we are not afraid anymore..."

Heloise, a young village girl, is just that at first; fearful. In the first few pages, Heloise is privy to the horrors of the Order. The Order, an organization bent on maintaining a wizard-free world, leaves terror in its
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!! The Armored Saint is FREE when you subscribe to the Tor.com newsletter!!!!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!! I've been wanting to read it for decades!!!!!! (Yes, I know the book was only released last February. And your point is?) Click here to download it and stuff!!!!

Oh, by the way, I'm not sure if you've noticed, but I'm kind of excited right now. Not much though. Just a teensy little bit.

Sorry what? You didn't know I wrestle in my spare time? Well now you do, my Little Barnacles, now you do.
Lindsay
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heloise is the daughter of a scribe in a dark medieval world rigidly ruled over by an Emperor and his religious Order. Society is rigidly proscribed under the Emperor because of the threat from wizards; people who can access magic are said to become portals through which terrifying devils can come into the world. But in Heloise's quiet village both wizards and devils are a long way off and all that really affects her are the draconian Writ and the brutal Order, which is a problem for a same-sex ...more
Nicholas Eames
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was my first novella, and I feared I'd feel like I only read half a book, but Myke tells a wonderful story here, with beautifully realized characters and effortless worldbuilding. To paraphrase Luke Skywalker: "This is not going to go the way you think it will," since there's a twist or two in here as well.

All in all, fantastic--I eagerly await the next!
Jack +Books & Bourbon+
Well that was short, sweet, and to the point! And what a change of pace for me, as my epic Fantasy picks tend to be, you know, EPIC. Like, as in size, as well as in content. And while this story is a single POV tale that is set in only one main location, and with maybe a 4th of the page count of my traditional fantasy reads, it still seemed pretty epic to me. I’ve not read anything else by Myke Cole, but I plan to remedy that as soon as possible. Because whew, this guy can tell a lean & mean ...more
Daniel
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and at times brutal. Ending with a cliffhanger :(

Ovde nema šta puno da se kaže. Grim dark fantazija koja u relativno malo scena uspeva da prikaže ovaj svet, klase i sistem funkcionisanja, mitologiju i relatvno velik broj likaova a da ni u jednom momentu ne smara. Tempo je dobar, akcije ima na kašičicu ali bude odlično opisana i vrlo bolna.

Jedina dva minusa su kraj koji završava prva ark knjige ali sama priča je daleko od gotovog a drugi su same korice. Ženska u njima izgleda bad-ass ali on
Anton
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm... I was really looking forward to this release. I had no luck with ARCs so waited patiently for the publication date and read it on my Kindle as soon as it came out.

In summary, I would score it 3.5|5.0. I enjoyed it enough to finish but wasn't charmed away and unlikely to pick up the sequel(s).

The strongest parts of this book for me were:

(1) Format. It is nice and brief - 200 pages or so. Either a long novella or short novel. I have a particular soft spot for brief fiction. Not too short (2
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
Safe to say I’ll be following this new series to the depths of the earth! EPIC read! Full RTC on Lair Of Books (Link is in the bio). Pre-ordering my finished copy, The Armored Saint hits shelves 2/20/18 🔥

UPDATE: FULL REVIEW MAY ALSO BE VIEWED ON LAIR OF BOOKS

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 STARS!!!

description

MY REVIEW...

I’m singing this books praises to you all today cause it is well worth it & so much more! coming in at 208pgs, The Armored Saint has to be one of the top Fantasy books I’ve read in a really long time. Set in
Lia  (a paper pigeon)
Hell is a word men use in place of fear.

I don't know about this one. I really don't.
Maybe it wasn't the kind of fantasy I thought it was, or maybe I really couldn't get into the writing style, but I've had my rough times going through it, even if it was less than 150 pages.
The fantasy factor was okay, maybe it was probably the best thing about the entire book (definitely the thing I liked more), but it was a little weak on the whole and confusing when it came to long descriptions and past ev
Janet Martin
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, as there is a lot going for it. I wasn't able to overcome the extraordinary stupidity of the main viewpoint character--16, going on 6. Every single bad thing that happened in the story was the result of Heloise's stupidity and headstrong selfishness. I, and most of the girls and women I have known in my life, are smart enough to know when to fight and when to shut up. Heloise destroyed the lives of everyone who ever tried to help her and a bit of bravery at the end wa ...more
Scott Sigler
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was at Seattle ComicCon, shooting the breeze before my signing. I started talking with the bookstore owner about — what else — books. She asked what kind of things I would like to write that I hadn't already done.

I said something to the effect of: "Well, I've always had this cool idea about medieval mechs, like some kind of wandering knight errant that travels from town to town, except instead of wearing a suit of armor, he's in some kind of mech suit."

The bookseller looked at me for a moment
Olivia
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.75-4 Stars.

First the positive: the writing is incredible, and the chapters are brimming with tension. From the very first day page I was on the edge of my seat devouring this book.

The setting is captivating with a religious order fighting against wizardry employing questionable methods.

But...I found the main character to be incredibly frustrating. Heloise is sixteen years old and she makes a lot of unfortunate choices in this book.

That’s probably understandable because she’s young and naiv
~Dani~ LazyTurtle's Books
Read this review and more at Book Geeks Uncompromised.

So...wow. This book is just a hair over 200 pages long and it hit me hard.

The people in Heloise's world live under constant fear of wizards, who they have been told just by doing the smallest bit of magic can inadvertently tear open a portal to hell. Because of this, their Empire quickly strikes wherever there is even the barest whisper of magic and they do so in a horrific manner.

"Her father was lying, not just to her, but to himself. Worst
kartik narayanan
The Armored Saint is disappointing. Considering the hype around it as well as the current goodreads ratings (4+ stars), the reality of the book is very different.

For one, the story is superficial as well as trite. The second (and bigger issue) is how the writing never seems to draw the reader in. When I was reading it, I never once felt anything for any of the characters. In fact, Heloise, the main character, turns out to be a whiny spoilt brat of a girl who screws up over and over again. And t
Adrian Collins
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Armored Saint is the new novella from Myke Cole (Shadow Ops) and the beginning of a new fantasy trilogy, The Sacred Throne. The publication seems to be part of Tor’s novella series, but at 208 pages, it reads more like a short novel than a novella. No matter what you call it, though, Cole makes the format work exceptionally well with tight prose, a close third-person single narrative, a condensed story world, and intense conflicts all stuffed into a smaller-than-door-stopper package. As most ...more
Geek Furioso
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Esperaba más.

Siendo como es mi primera lectura de Myke Cole, creo que me esperaba más contenido militar y si acaso un poco más de acción. No puedo ser especialmente duro, ya que doscientas páginas dan para lo que dan. Así a bote pronto, no puedo evitar pensar que es un fanfic de Warhammer (servoarmadura de Marine Espacial incluida) con más personajes LGBT, que sería ya de por si lo suficientemente alucinante si no fuera por (view spoiler)
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favorites
"Being brave isn't not being frightened, it's doing a thing even though you are."

My eyes are literal waterfalls.. These kinds of books make me rethink ALL of my previous recent ratings. HOW can a 200 paged grimdark epic fantasy do that?! I haven't got a clue. Also I need to mention this is the most pro LGBTQ+ book I have ever read in my life so if you are looking for a female main character finding herself in a brutal world that wants to draw the line at love (and all things wizardry) PICK THIS
Jon Adams
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.7
I'm taking off .3 stars because I needed a longer book. I want more!

Damn, that was a helluva ride. This is almost a completely different book than what Cole usually writes. I say almost because the only similarity is the damn good writing.

Set aside some time. You'll want to finish it in one sitting.

I really feel like I should more to this, but I'm still in awe. Read it.
Marielle
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-own
Very much enjoyed this book and I will definitly read the next.
Lukasz
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s the first Mike Cole book I’ve read and I’m not sure if it’s representative of his style and themes he touches in his books. The Armored Saint gest good reviews and I can agree with many reviewers that there’s a lot to like in this book.

The world painted in the book isn’t particularly happy. The Empire lives in the fear of devils who can come through the portal opened by the use of magic. Such portals can be placed in the eye of a wizard. An Order ensures that no wizard will live to summon
  • Killing Gravity (The Voidwitch Saga, #1)
  • The City Stained Red (Bring Down Heaven, #1)
  • The Devil's Colony
  • In Midnight's Silence (Los Nefilim, #1)
  • The Bitter Twins (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy #2)
  • A Red Peace (Starfire, #1)
  • Sword & Laser Anthology
  • Redemption's Blade (After The War, #1)
  • California Bones (Daniel Blackland, #1)
  • Where Loyalties Lie
  • The Memory of Fire (The Waking Land, #2)
  • The Descent of Monsters (Tensorate, #3)
  • Beyond Redemption (Manifest Delusions, #1)
  • The Bloodline Feud (The Merchant Princes, #1-2)
  • The Light Brigade
  • Stone Mad (Karen Memory, #2)
  • A Taste of Honey
  • She Who Waits (Low Town, #3)
As a security contractor, government civilian and military officer, Myke Cole’s career has run the gamut from Counterterrorism to Cyber Warfare to Federal Law Enforcement. He’s done three tours in Iraq and was recalled to serve during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. He recently joined the cast of Hunted on CBS as part of an elite team of fugitive hunters.

All that conflict can wear a guy out. Than

The Sacred Throne (3 books)
  • The Queen of Crows (The Sacred Throne, #2)
  • The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)
“That love is worth it. It is worth any hardship, it is worth illness. It is worth injury. It is worth isolation. It is even worth death. For life without love is only a shadow of life.” 14 likes
“...while your thoughts are your own, the words you let pass your lips belong to the world, and the world will not always take the meaning you intended.” 3 likes