Start by marking “If Tomorrow Comes (Yesterday's Kin, #2)” as Want to Read:
If Tomorrow Comes (Yesterday's Kin, #2)

If Tomorrow Comes

(Yesterday's Kin Trilogy #2)

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  222 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Nancy Kress returns with the sequel of Tomorrow's Kin, part of an all-new hard SF trilogy based on a Nebula Award-winning novella

Ten years after the Aliens left Earth, humanity has succeeded in building a ship, Friendship, in which to follow them home to Kindred. Aboard are a crew of scientists, diplomats, and a squad of Rangers to protect them. But when the Friendship arr
Published March 6th 2018 by Tor Books (first published March 2018)

To ask other readers questions about If Tomorrow Comes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Tomorrow Comes

Denise
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think I understand why some reviewers weren’t crazy about this book. It’s true that the series is a bit more of usual fare vs some of Kress’ more original stories. None-the-less the characters are well developed- mostly we are in the minds of three: a thirteen year old boy who is conflicted about where he fits in, a middle-aged doctor reviewing his choices and a young adult in the military who is adaptive and slowly learns to question assumptions and his less adaptive commander. There is actio ...more
Bookwraiths
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-freebie, scifi
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

My rating is 2.5 stars.

If Tomorrow Comes by Nancy Kress is the follow-up to Tomorrow’s Kin and the second installment in the Yesterday’s Kin Trilogy. Since there isn’t any way to review this book without giving away spoilers for the first book, I have to warn you now not to continue reading if you haven’t finished book one.

A decade ago Earth was changed by the arrival of aliens. Not only did these being give warning of a coming “spores” plague, but they also le
Britta Böhler
Unfortunately not as good as part 1, more of a re-hash in a different location. Pity. Here's to hoping that part 3 (which will come out in November) will be better.
2.5*
The Captain
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy me mateys! Grab your grog! Yesterday I reviewed the first book of the series. Here be book 2 of the sixth installment of the 3 Bells trilogy showcase.

I loved book two more than the first book! In this version ye get to read about the alien’s home planet, World, and what happens when a diplomatic mission from Earth arrives there. The most I can give ye without spoilers . . . craziness!

I absolutely loved readin’ about World’s culture and how the humans from Earth are completely wrong about wh
Kristen
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
3 1/2 Stars - Liked it but thought it was not as good as Tomorrow's Kin, especially the part comprised of the previously published novella Yesterday's Kin.

If Tomorrow's Kin excels at ideas and imagining how the world of Kindred could have developed its society, but parts of its execution could have been stronger and it was not as engrossing as the previous book in the trilogy. I thought its biggest weakness was featuring such a large cast of characters without providing enough satisfying charact
Kate
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved Tomorrow's Kin and I was so excited to read its follow up. This time we spend time on the visitors' planet of World or Kindred and Kress's descriptions of society on that planet are fascinating. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Jim Higgins
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This second novel in Kress's trilogy blends genetic and biomedical drama (a Kress specialty) with intense conflict on a distant planet. Very satisfying.
Milliebot
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review and others posted over at my blog.

Thank you to Tor for sending me this book for free in exchange for my honest review.

The sequel to Tomorrow's Kin didn’t disappoint. Kress kept it fresh with a new setting and some new characters, but a few familiar faces turn up.

Dr. Jenner joins the crew of the Friendship on the first expedition to Kindred, known as World by the people who inhabit it, the planet the “aliens” came from over a decade ago. Disaster strikes before Dr. Jenner and the re
Andrea
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok its Nancy Kress, but really, I ended up skimming. Sorta boring. And honestly Nancy, deus ex machina? Hmm...
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The second in a cleverly conceived hard science fiction series that melds satisfying characterization with challenging considerations of the contemporary issues of the environment and xenophobia.
Avani
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
The last book suffered from thin characters, and this one focused on them. The plot didn't excite me, and I think the anti-tech tone recent Kress books have taken have hurt them, because she is really good at writing about tech. Will probably read the next one for completeness' sake, but I'm fine waiting.
Ralph Ambrose
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very well done.
Morgan Dhu
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
If Tomorrow Comes, the second novel in Nancy Kress’ Yesterday’s Kin trilogy, begins about ten years after the conclusion of the first book. Earth has survived the spore cloud, but at great cost - in some regions, notably Russia/Central Asia, as many as 30 percent of the population have died due to mutations that disabled the immunity to the disease in most humans. Some animal species have been decimated, causing ecological chaos. Some humans want to reach out to their cousins on World - now call ...more
Nicholina
As I mentioned in my review of Tomorrow's Kin, I'm a Nancy Kress fan. I really liked the first book in the trilogy. This one, though, I found disappointing. It was okay. Some aspects were interesting and, at the end, I stayed up late finishing it. It dragged enough and was unpleasant enough in the middle, though, that I considered not finishing it.

My main issue was probably characters. I didn't like most of them. We switched between various points of view. One I liked well enough, two more were
Amy at Read What I Like
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I was given the opportunity to read and review the upcoming release from the Yesterday’s Kin Trilogy I jumped all over it. I loved the first book! I appreciate the complex characters, moral dilemmas, and real science (as far as my liberal arts educated mind can tell) that Ms. Kress uses to weave her story. So I cleared my reading calendar and sat down to see what happen next in If Tomorrow Comes.

If you are or have picked up this book without reading the first in the trilogy I think that you
Martin Phillips
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd volume of this story did not disappoint. Kress' writing is so amazingly tight, I love letting her tell me a story! The story basically starts off where the 1st book left off. Earth humans have the tech to build the Kindred starships, but it's costly. One starship gets built by the American's and they build a team, including Marianne of course, and they set off to Kindred. But someone is aboard who is not all they claim to be, or maybe more than they claim to be, and has motives of their ...more
Jenny Yates
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is pretty standard adventure sci-fi, a quick and fairly satisfying read. Once again, I read the second book in a series without reading the first, so maybe I would’ve been more invested in the characters if I’d read the first.

There’s plenty of plot tension in this one. A ship from earth lands on a distant planet, with certain assumptions. They thought the natives would be friendly, and that the technology would be more advanced than their own. Well, no.

So there they are, with their spaces
Cheri
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Like the first of the Yesterday's Kin books, this book promises more than it delivers. We see Marianne again, this time far away from home, along with a ragtag bunch of surviving Rangers and scientists. What ensues is a race against time while the military dudes strut around with stereotypical bravado, hardheaded stubbornness, and simple stupidity that isn't really argued against by the rest of the group. It's a potluck of tropes.

The story here is interesting but nothing groundbreaking. The int
Michael Higgins
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Samuel Lubell
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, sf
Not as good as the first book. The Earthlings visit World (the planet settled by humans taken from Earth thousands of years ago) but their ship and many World cities are blown up by the Russians and it turns out World does not have a high tech civilization but a somewhat alien matriarchal culture. The Marines aren't sure how to handle this situation and their leader goes crazy. But too much of this book is rather soap opera-ish.
Mike
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
If Tomorrow Comes is the second book in Kress's Yesterday's Kin trilogy. I really liked the first book and second books sometimes are a bit of a let down, but this one wasn't. Although linkted to the first book, I think you could have read it without having read it. It also has a satisfactory ending and you could stop here without feeling the need to know what happened next. But I want to read the third book, this one was too good to not read more.
Russell
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-next
This is a good second instalment. The story follows naturally and has its own solid arc and solid characters. It also serves as a good insight into the culture and world that Kress has created.

Only three stars because it seemed slightly ponderous at times. Overall an enjoyable book (finished it, after all) and will definitely read the next. Looking forward to it.
Carolyn
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this story as much as Tomorrow's Kin -- it never gripped me with the originality and freshness that I enjoyed so much in the first book. It just seemed much too contrived and didn't really flow. There is scheduled to be a third installment; I'll decide later whether to tackle that one, but I'm not as enthusiastic as I was in awaiting the second.
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
This continues to be an OK series. I found the story line to move predictably and slowly. I had a hard time carrying about the characters and what would or would not happen. Like many middle books in a series this solved the first problem and set up the next book in the series. A nice story for fans of Kress but not one that would go on my favorites shelf.

Beth
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good book that deals with SF stuff -- alien planets, alien tech and space ships, viruses and anti-viruses. Also betrayal, choices, and tough decisions. Kress has apparently known a lot of adolescent kids with a talent for making bad decisions -- her Aaron is a perfect mess of short-sightedness and hormones.
Rpaul Tho
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this second book in the series so much that I couldn’t put it down and read it in two days. I can’t wait for the final that come out in a couple of months. The story has progressed so well and I really felt like the characters were so much better conceptualized than in the first one. You hated some, liked others and it came to a satisfying end.
Emily
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I like Kress best when she's writing about "aliens." This book has a lot of interesting stuff in it (paranoid soldiers, a technological reversal, and lots of revenge and distrust), but also kind of feels like a middle book in a trilogy. I'll be excited to see what Earth is like after 29 years away.
Bob
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Sequels are often hard to critique, right? All the worldbuilding done in the first book, etc.

Kress does a great job of containing a tight plot and character development within a brand new setting. Enjoyed it, but not as much as the first in the series. Different, but good.
Ed Whittle
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good job Nancy

A great book. Good characters. Good plot. Fast paced. I stayed awake too long not wanting to put the book down. I felt I was reading a Tom Clancy/Robert Silverberg novel.
Leigh
The first book in the series was better. This one had a strong reminder of the conflict between the Vietnamese and the Americans during the Vietnam war. The agrarian locals and the sophisticated Americans with all their soldiers and weapons. I am not going to finish the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Nancy Kress is an American science fiction writer. She began writing in 1976 but has achieved her greatest notice since the publication of her Hugo and Nebula-winning 1991 novella Beggars in Spain which was later expanded into a novel with the same title. In addition to her novels, Kress has written numerous short stories and is a regular columnist for Writer's Digest. She is a regular at Clario ...more

Yesterday's Kin Trilogy (3 books)
  • Tomorrow's Kin (Yesterday's Kin Trilogy, #1)
  • Terran Tomorrow (Yesterday's Kin Trilogy, #3)