Start by marking “Fire Dance” as Want to Read:
Fire Dance

Fire Dance

Espionage, diplomacy, conspiracy, passion, and power are the sensuously choreographed steps of the soaring new high fantasy novel by Ilana C. Myer, one woman's epic mission to stop a magical conflagration.

Lin, newly initiated in the art of otherwordly enchantments, is sent to aid her homeland's allies against vicious attacks from the Fire Dancers: mysterious practitioners
Published April 10th 2018 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Fire Dance, please sign up.
Jack This is a standalone sequel. You'll get more out of it if you've read Last Song Before Night, but you don't need to have read it to understand and…moreThis is a standalone sequel. You'll get more out of it if you've read Last Song Before Night, but you don't need to have read it to understand and love Fire Dance.(less)

Bradley
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-shelf, fantasy
Without getting into spoilers, I think this novel is poetry.

This may not be self-evident, but when we deal with poets and an academy of poets who may or may not grow into magicians, anything might happen.

It begins with death, from a highly-placed demise inside the academy to the deeply shaded returning character of Lin from A Song Before Night to the gruesome demise of many melted people. It's a lightly-stepped dance between light and shadow, life and death.

The writing is gentle and nuanced. D
Kathy
That, he believed, was the essence of what it meant to be a poet. Not to work magic. Rather it was to see, and weave verse from, life's manifold truths. Even if they hurt.
They nearly always did.

This book is a triumph. A masterwork of character and prose that wind through your soul like the final trembling notes of a song. Myer's debut, Last Song Before Night, was brimstone and fire and icy winds and music that rumbled low through your body. Fire Dance plays out like a haunting ballad that reco
Nicholas Martinez
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The sequel to Last Song before Night reads like you are building a fire of your own. The start of the novel is when you are gathering the kindling, a slow process but an important one if you want a successful blaze. Myer takes her time building all of the core parts of the novel which did make the start a little slow and dry but was well worth the payoff in the end. By setting up the intricate webbing of characters, which was and still is the series' strongest points, Myer's buildup of all of th ...more
Quinn David
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Myer definitely has a way with words; picking up from where Last Song Before Night leaves off, Fire Dance is an exercise in grace and beauty, of lilting prose made only more poignant by the subject of her series; Poets, who depending on landscape take the form of Magicians and or Seers. Each and every sentence is composed of beautiful, complex meaning and it is a testament to Myer that she trusts that her readers will spend the time needed to discern truth and understanding. Even though I could ...more
Ian McKinley
A while back I decided that, as an author, I didn't know how to approach Goodreads. My participation here began on the understanding that it was a platform for readers to flag good books to fellow readers, but then as my immersion in the world of publishing deepened, my view of this platform morphed into a fear that it's a tool that can have an important impact on fellow authors. That is why I stopped giving star ratings on books ... who was I to render a verdict on a colleague, especially one w ...more
Aaron Culley
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a sequel to Last Song Before Night. I loved the first novel and was very glad to return to that world and its characters. While the first novel came to a satisfying conclusion (while leaving the door open for more to come), Fire Dance ends with many remaining loose ends, and to some degree is a cliffhanger (though not to the same extent as V.E. Schwab's Gathering of Shadows, 2nd in the Shades of Magic trilogy). When I learned about this sequel coming out, I wondered if this would be a tr ...more
Booknblues
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fire Dance, the sequel to Ilana C. Myer debut novel Last Song Before Night is an intricate and exciting fantasy novel. Lin Amaristoth, court poet returns in this one venturing to northern Kahishi to stop the dreaded fire dancers.

I don't generally read fantasies, but because Meyer's first novel was so intriguing. I felt compelled to read this one as well and I'm glad I did.
Katja
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ville Kokko
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written though ultimately dark character-driven fantasy story full of secrets, mysteries, twists and magic.

Fire Dance continues from where Last Song Before Night left and continues in a similar vein. You can read either one without reading the other, but I recommend starting with Last Song, whether you continue to this one or not. It's slightly better, and reading this one first will spoil things about it.

Like Last Song, Fire Dance is a character-driven story about magic – but wi
Rachel
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A breath of fresh air! Particularly after the last couple of kinda "meh" books, but even on its own. I think I may have allowed myself to forget some of the winning points of the first book, LAST SONG BEFORE NIGHT.

This second installment in Ilana C. Myer's epic fantasy series opens several years later, at least from the start of the first book. Alas, I may have forgotten some plot points, too, but the author did her best to keep us abreast of what we needed to know. Still, I wish I'd re-read it,
Lynne
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully written, deeply introspective fantasy novel.

A magic-based war is routinely slaughtering the people of Kashishi. The characters in this novel are trying (across 3 separate locations in 3 groupings) to prevent seismic political changes, at great personal cost. Each character carries their own darkness with them, and a recurring theme is how darkness is deeply personal--and often, kept private, to great cost. Many heroic fantasy narratives overlook or underplay the costs of he
Pierce
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This needs to be a short review. I don't know how I feel about this book yet. I loved the first one, have preached the greatness of Ms. Myer from here to the horizon. But I struggled for a while during this book. But Part Four... my goodness... I hope to give a better analysis in the future. When I do a re-read of both Last Song and Fire Dance.

For now, I think it is safe to say, Ilana C. Myer is a gem. Read her books. This is art.
Lulu248
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better

Although, the narrative was flowing rather sluggishly at a few places, the second installment of the series definitely showed clear improvements; now the tale is in full swing. Cant wait to see how the author will wrap up the storyline. It is just frustrating that it will take until 2020...
Andrea
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
You know, I didn't finish this and I feel kind of bad about it. I think reading two dark fantasy novels in a row (the one before this one and then this one) was a little too much. Also, I have trouble with how women are treated in both of these novels. It definitely adds to the dark mood; but it kept me from enjoying this fantasy world as much as I would like to.
Kristy
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was just fine. It was a perfectly adequate boring trope-filled fantasy. With overly flowery language. Ultimately a snoozefest. I admit to skimming a lot. But I’m sure someone out there will love the troops and the cliches and the ridiculous language.
Meril
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sff
Would have been four stars, but it ends in a cliffhanger. Very disappointed.
Equifinality
May 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Overly dense with a lot of characters to keep track of. Plot moves painfully slowly too.
Garrett Olinde
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: waiting
Muddled in the middle, stronger at the end. Looking forward to third.
Groucho42
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Last Song 2. Lin heads to neighboring nation where a war is going on. It ends up that more bad guys from her nation are messing things up. Thoroughly mediocre novel saved by her bright writing style.
Sharon Jacksack
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
There’s a lot of confusion for me here, but the characters kept me reading.
Patricia Litz
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a hard book to stay interested in. It had a twist to it that I did not see. It ended but was not finished so we know there will be a sequel at some time from now.
Shel
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review coming soon!
Elyn
Sep 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
slow read. wish thered been more focus on the titel givers ...more
Jana
Rating: 3.5 stars. Review posted at Fantasy Literature.
Jack
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In a world where poetry has power Myers’ words are ever more magical. This is not a book to skim, Myers’ language must be savored or you’ll miss the point.

In Eivar the poets are discovering the complexities of their new power personally and politically. Meanwhile the new Court Poet has journeyed to Kahishi to help uncover destructive forces — magical and otherwise.

This standalone sequel is stunning in itself, but even more impactful if you read Last Song Before Night.
Lena Merenkova
Brough Milner
Dec 16, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Play Book Tag: Fire Dance by Ilana C. Myer -4.5 stars 1 19 May 02, 2018 08:40AM
  • From Unseen Fire (Aven Cycle #1)
  • Over Raging Tides (Lady Pirates, #1)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Heart (Tales from the Chocolate Heart, #2)
  • The Stone Girl's Story
  • Circle of Ashes  (Wish Quartet, #2)
  • Thornfruit (The Gardener's Hand, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Sisters Mederos
  • The Stone in the Skull (Lotus Kingdoms, #1)
  • Scarlett Hart: Monster Hunter
  • The True Queen (Sorcerer Royal #2)
  • The Shards of Heaven (The Shards of Heaven #1)
  • The Tower of Living and Dying (Empires of Dust #2)
  • Wicked Little Game (Series, #3)
  • The Mighty Captain Marvel, Vol. 3: Dark Origins
  • Taste of Wrath (Sin du Jour, #7)
  • The Unbound Empire (Swords and Fire #3)
  • The Devil's Bible (Bohemian Trilogy #2)
Ilana C. Myer has written for the Globe and Mail, the Los Angeles Review of Books, Salon, and the Huffington Post. Previously she was a freelance journalist in Jerusalem. She lives in New York City.

Fire Dance, the sequel to Last Song Before Night, will be released in April 2018.

Last Song Before Night is a standalone novel, but there IS a sequel (two actually!) forthcoming. Details here: https://il
“One’s shadow is private.” 0 likes