Start by marking “Contingent Upon Magenta” as Want to Read:
Contingent Upon Magenta

Contingent Upon Magenta

An unprovoked attack on Earth prompts the U.S. military to send a small contingent to assassinate the matriarch of a world where mothers and daughters are exalted. A dissenting citizen from the world provides the U.S. military with guidance by insisting a female be an operative in the contingent. Captain Joan Jones is the operative. Shes a mother of a young daughter and is ...more
Kindle Edition
Published April 28th 2017 by Gothlick

To ask other readers questions about Contingent Upon Magenta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contingent Upon Magenta

Start your review of Contingent Upon Magenta
Dianne
The Earth has been attacked by aliens and the U.S. decides its payback time and this time, they think their plan is foolproof. This time the assassin will be a woman. Who better to infiltrate a matriarchal society? Who better to gain a chance to get close to the female leader? Too bad the idea came from a disenchanted alien, but is he right? Captain Joan Jones is willing to die for a place in history as a strong woman in a world where men seem to get the accolades more often than not.

Things do
Anthony Puyo
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
***I dont reveal the plot or spoilers. If you want to know what the book is about, read the blurb. My only focus is on writing style and entertainment value.

When it comes to searching for my next book to read, I like to split my search between known and Indie authors down the middle. A known author gives you a good story (most of the time) but I think sometimes they lack the rawness a good Indie can offer. After all, there is no restraints for an Indie as to a pub author.

C. Dryings debut novel
Esther
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Thanks to the author for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is not a bad debut for C. Drying at all. It's actually pretty good! What I liked most is the writing style. It's well paced and I could easily get into the flow of the story. I'm curious if there is more to come and I'd be willing to read another book by this author!

A longer review can be found at Bite Into Books

This is a good debut, especially if I consider that the writing style was what I
Diann
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you prefer your sci-fi low on ray guns and high on psychological and cultural twists, C. Drying's debut novel is for you. This quick read kept me engaged from the first to the last page, and I wondered how she was going to wrap up the story with so few pages left. The characters are both novel and believable while shedding light on many aspects of the human condition that are not fiction. Drying's matriarchal society capitalizes on aspects of womanhood and motherhood that might typically be ...more
O.J. Lowe
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes when you read a book, you find yourself unsure what to expect from it. This was one such book for me.

I can honestly say, without a shred of doubt, this is one of the best books I've read recently. I don't want to go into too much detail from the plot, but the setup is intriguing, the world is cleverly-built, characters are well-developed and some powerful moments. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Recommended highly.
Angelia
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story was good,it had everything..sex drama, romance, action and adventure. It wasn't overly sexy or too mushy,just right. I would have liked to know more about the relationship with Joan Jones and her daughter Butterfly before the story got going. The story is left open for a sequel ,and there is lots left to the imagination as to what twists and turns await the Magentan inhabitants.
Jacque
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Jill
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a woman has to do to get ahead is different for Captain Joan Jones as her uncover mission unfolds. This short novella focuses on a female dominated race that turns its attention to earth and family relationships. Understanding the Stockholm syndrome is critical to the plot, which explores mothers love for their children and what they will sacrifice to keep them safe. Editing would improve pacing. The ending was very abrupt, but expected.

I received this book through a random giveaway.
Nwoukix.Netcom.Com
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
An exciting first novel about dynastic politics (and of course sex!) on a well-imagined alien world. The characters plot and counterplot while the earth-born protagonist tries to not killed while figuring out what's going on around her. I am not sure she ever entirely does, which opens the door to further adventures.
C. Drying
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written
► Questioning postmodernism
► Proud to be an American vegetarian
► Am a Pastafarian apologist
► Lesbian
► Email me if you want to know more (CDrying@CDrying.me)