Start by marking “Mrs.” as Want to Read:
Mrs.

Mrs.

In the well-heeled milieu of New York's Upper East Side, coolly elegant Philippa Lye is the woman no one can stop talking about. Despite a shadowy past, Philippa has somehow married the scion of the last family-held investment bank in the city. And although her wealth and connections put her in the center of this world, she refuses to conform to its gossip-fueled culture.

Published February 13th 2018 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Mrs., please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Robin Meadows I took the car crash as an accident - his speeding set that up plus why drive out to pick up a puppy for your daughter's birthday if you're going to…moreI took the car crash as an accident - his speeding set that up plus why drive out to pick up a puppy for your daughter's birthday if you're going to commit suicide?(less)

Start your review of Mrs.
Miranda Reads
description

But to be clear, we had nothing against her.
We actually really liked her.
We really, really liked Philippa Lye.
Philippa Lye - the it girl - has long been a subject of fascination and intrigue among the New York Mommies of St. Timothy's preschool. Philippa always appears to have it all, but beneath the designer brands and perfect looks, she holds a deep secret.
Mummy never polishes her nails because it reminded her of when she had to wear nail polish for a living.
Gwen - the scholarship
Susanne  Strong
2.75 Stars.

Phillipa has a past and it comes back to haunt her. She is a former model, who is both beautiful and wealthy. She is married to a very successful man named Dan, who is cutthroat lawyer. Fingers crossed that she can keep her past a secret from him! Little does she know that he hasn’t set his sights on her.. Once Gwen and Minnie enter Phillipa’s life, nothing is the same. Gwen knew her a long time ago and Minnie? Well, she keeps both ladies on edge constantly. What happens once all of
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
3.5 elegant stars to Mrs.! .5

Caitlin Macy’s novel, Mrs., is a character study featuring Philippa Lye, a socialite who has it all, or so it appears to be precariously portrayed. Her life is shaken up when two other women enter the scene, Gwen Hogan and Minnie Curtis. The dynamics between the three women are fascinating to watch. How will Philippa cope when Gwen’s husband uncovers an enormous secret from her past that’s sure to ruin her reputation and standing in the community?

Philippa, Gwen,
ABookwormWithWine
/ 5

First of all, thank you so much to Little, Brown and Company for sending me a free finished copy of this book, I really appreciate it!

I feel TERRIBLE, but this was just not the book for me. I got to page 76 and I just could not go on. I wasn’t into the book at all and there wasn’t anything going on that interested me. This was my first ever, and I mean ever, DNF.

I hope everyone else will have better luck than I did!

* This book was published on 13, February 2018 *
Janine
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’ve just read my first worst book of 2018 The hype said that this could be the next Big Little Lies - um definitely not. The only comparison is that both books are set around a school, that’s all. I found the characters not very likeable, the writing too wordy and too much descriptive narrative. There was so much back story every chapter which became boring. The pace picked up at around 80% but then deteriorated again. No use telling you what it was about, why did I bother ...more
debra
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

2.5- Was looking for something a little more gossipy like Primates Of Park Avenue or Swans of Fifth. This wasn't it, and the characters were never fleshed out enough to be real in their own right.
Betsy
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
This Book was a S L O W send up of the “haves” ... - turned out to be a downer .... NOT anywhere near Big Little Lies ...nope.
jmNYC
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun send-up of Upper East Side types, sharply observed.
Heather Boaz ( mlleboaz.bibliophile)
Thank you Little Brown & Company for my free copy for review!

It is important to realize that this is a character-driven story - there is a plot, and it's equal parts scandalous and delicious - but that's not quite the point here. Macy's writing in this book is being compared to a modern Edith Wharton. And if you know Wharton, you know that the real delight will be in observing carefully crafted, multi-dimensional and fascinating people - and seeing what sort of troubles spin out as they
Karen
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I really wanted to like this book but was sadly disappointed. I found the narrative disjointed, the characters dull and the plot unimaginative. It was a struggle to finish it.
Dianne
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-of-2018
This is a hard one to review. The synopsis of the book is technically accurate, but it's written in a very cool and removed tone with a lot of exposition and unnecessary detail. Since the book's milieu is Upper East Side New York, the tone is probably intentional and is meant to reinforce the superficial verneer of the surroundings. Maybe. I don't know.

It's a slightly odd novel, which is probably why it has fairly low ratings for Goodreads. It's a choppy read, as Macy alternates between several
Chris
Jun 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
One “poor” star rating and truthfully, I’m being generous. This book was a complete and utter disappointment. I had no idea where we were going with this story - it was so disjointed! The characters were dull and unlikeable and I just did not even want to read any more about them to find out why. The plot was just all over the place, like a big train wreck. People having conversations but uttering back responses like ummh or mmh mmh, or not even responding back at all. Why was I wasting my time ...more
Michelle
The fundamental flaw in Caitlin Macy's novel, Mrs., is that she assumes readers are going to care about the über-wealthy New York socialites with their nannies, multi-million dollar apartments complete with doormen, and places for their children among the toniest private preschools in the city. I do not see this happening. In fact, given the fervor over the recent tax changes and the growing divide between the haves and the have-nots, I see the exact opposite occurring. It is difficult to feel ...more
Aisling
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, really. The writing is good, the plot slightly less so. Like many other reviewers I almost gave up on this book (and I rarely, rarely do that) because the characters were completely unrelatable and the plot moved slowly. I like Ms Macy's writing and observances but did not give a lick about one single character. After reading several reviews that said the ending was worth it, I plowed on.

The second half of the book is better. There is some deft weaving of plot and characters. Nothing
Siobhan Bejr
Nov 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
It might be a bit unfair to rate this book as 1 star after choosing to finish it after 107 pages but, try as I might, there was no way I could get in to the book. By page 50 I realised that absolutely nothing had happened and was still not happening any time soon. I had no interest in the characters at all and tried flicking through later in the book and realised it was still just as bland.
I'm sorry but I really did try!!
Lynn Gionette
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
didn't like it. was very dull. nothing really happened untill about 80% in and even then it was meh. hated the ending. not sure why it couldn't at the very least end on a happy note. sigh. I can not recommend it. I can't even imagine who would like this book
Barbara
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: beach-read, chic-lit
“Mrs.” Is another novel about the ultra privileged families in New York. What sets this one apart from others is author Caitlin Macy’s writing skills. She provides great observations of the insecurities of the wealthy, and humorously pokes fun at them.

Philippa Skinker is an ex fashion model who is beautiful, wealthy, and distracted. She could care less about social conventions and who does or does not like her. It could be because she has a bit of a drinking problem.

The story begins at pick-up
Sue Gerhardt Griffiths
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
It’s hard to put my finger on why I enjoyed this book but there was just something delightful about it. For all its unusualness, call me crazy, but I loved it!

Looking forward to the authors next book.
Lauren Cecile
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. I have an affinity for books about wealthy women living in New York City. I like the story to have some heft though; I don't really care for cardboard characters and a setting that could be Any City USA. I want the author to take advantage of the textured lifestyles and socioeconomic (class stratification) issues in one of the world's most interesting and complex cities, and breezy beach reads don't do those ideas justice.
Having said this, Mrs. is terribly
Maddie
Mar 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
I know this book is trying to compare itself to Big Little Lies & Bonfire of the Vanities, and those are both unfortunate comparisons that set the bar far too high. Big Little Lies is certainly chick lit, but it is well-written, a page-turner, and you understand the basic motivations of the characters. Bonfire of the Vanities has a big exciting mix of characters, a plot that makes sense, and it effectively skewers New Yorkers of a certain social class. I think the author was aiming too high ...more
Ilyssa Wesche
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This was not exactly what I expected but I liked it. Sometimes I felt like I had missed something, rather than just didn't find it out yet, and there are a couple of thing where I feel like "really, would someone have reacted that way?" But I chalk that up to me not being rich. I did enjoy the occasional one-off chapters, like with the stockbroker in the bar, and even the Greek chorus of women.

Good story, good if unbelievable (to me) characters, good ending.
Scottsdale Public Library
A light and quick read, I can see this made into a movie or mini-series as it reminded me of Big Little Lies. Told from multiple viewpoints, with engrossing dialogue, and rich description, Mrs. might be considered a modern novel of social criticism not unlike society novels of Victorian times. Classism is tackled, as well as new money versus old money prejudice. The woman on top of the parent’s social food-chain is discovered to have some rather serious secrets in her past and social decorum ...more
Martha
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book I’ve read so far this year. The tone is gossipy, but so cleverly constructed to give the reader just a little bit, like overhearing something you’re not privy to and wanting more. A contemporary remake of House of Mirth with a particularly manipulative male character who is talked about more than viewed in action, and a gorgeous ex-model who presents a drunken puzzle to the parents picking up and delivering their children at their exclusive Manhattan preschool. Most of the action here ...more
Donna Hines
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was 'Pretty Woman' meets NYC Upper East Side riches.
It was a cavier lifestyle fraught with characters that were at times unbearable, egotistical, narcissistic, jealous of one another, and ultimately imperfect.
"This was a society that ran on Lycra and imported Labradoodles, on making a virtue of pervasive lack of necessity: deciding to pick up kids when you could've sent the nanny."
Of course, many of us can relate to these elitist who truly believe they are superior and in this case the
Maureen
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was very enjoyable. Was it Lianne Moriarty good, well no, but it was sound in and of itself. The characters are well-developed, the tone is gossipy and atmospheric and the writing style is engaging. The multiple perspectives allow for a slow reveal of the traumas that ripple across the lives and between characters. I found this book to be impossible to put-down.
AngryGreyCat
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a free signed copy of Mrs. from BEA in exchange for a fair review.

This is an interesting look at wealthy society in New York mainly through the lenses of the women, the Mrs.-es. The story spirals between three women Philippa, Minnie and Gwen and how their interactions have repercussions beyond what they could imagine. The novel explores themes of feminism and marriage, secrets, Protestant work ethic, motherhood, greed, sexual violence/power, insider vs. outsider, and justice.

I found
Trudy
Jul 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure if it was me or the book, but I had to stop reading this book almost halfway thru because the author seemed to get too carried away with the details; rambling on about little things which only left me lost and needing to go back and re-read whole chapters or sections too many times. The IDEA of the story is excellent, and the plot seemed really good and juicy, but you never really seem to feel like you're getting anywhere in the book - with all the fading out in to details over ...more
Idris
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cover-love, giveaways
It was okay. The comparison to Big Little Lies oversold it and the substance of the book doesn't recover from the ill-conceived comparison. The characters were non-entities. The settings were surprisingly drab despite the opulence. The actual story was plagued with info-dumps and meandering digressions that did little to capture or keep my attention for the 200 pages or so I managed to read and then skim-read. This book wasn't for me and contrary to what other reviews have said, I don't think ...more
Mary-Beth
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
This novel focused on a small group of mothers who are part of the swanky UES preschool set, with comparisons to Curtis Sittenfeld's "Prep" and Liane Moriarty's "Big Little Lies". Great set-up, right?

Too bad each character was more flawed, unpredictable, and unpleasant than the next. I think the author believed that emphasizing the negative characteristics made these figures more relatable, but that particularly literary device was quite unsuccessful. I won't spoil it here, but the whole premise
Lakin Wilton
Apr 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I never ever don’t finish a book but this isn’t even deserving of one star. How this ever got published is beyond me. Truly had no clue what the story was meant to be. Got to 100 pages and my brain felt like it was turning to mush. Would not recommend!

• Laura & Emma
  • Alternate Side
  • The High Season
  • The Favorite Sister
  • Family Trust
  • The Female Persuasion
  • When Life Gives You Lululemons (The Devil Wears Prada, #3)
  • You Think It, I'll Say It
  • Limelight
  • All We Ever Wanted
  • Sunburn
  • The Queen of Hearts
“Distress, however much you tried to compartmentalize it, put you in an illogical frame of mind.” 0 likes
“It seemed comeuppance would slam down like the steel grille of a discount electronics store” 0 likes