Start by marking “Markswoman (Asiana, #1)” as Want to Read:
Markswoman (Asiana, #1)

Markswoman

(Asiana #1)

Kyra is the youngest Markswoman in the Order of Kali, one of a handful of sisterhoods of highly trained elite warriors. Armed with blades whose metal is imbued with magic and guided by a strict code of conduct, the Orders are sworn to keep the peace and protect the people of Asiana. Kyra has pledged to do so—yet she secretly harbors a fierce desire to avenge her murdered f ...more
Published January 23rd 2018 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Markswoman, please sign up.
Elke As already said, there is a romance aspect to the story, but it's definitely not the most important. It's also only present in the second half of the…moreAs already said, there is a romance aspect to the story, but it's definitely not the most important. It's also only present in the second half of the book.(less)
Rati Mehrotra The book is predominantly in the POV of Kyra, the "Markswoman" referred to in the book title. Less than a third is in the POV of Rustan, a Marksman.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I freaking love this cover! I loved the summary of the book but it was just an okay read for me.

I'm sure plenty will love it though 😊

Happy Reading!

Mel ❤
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, fantasy
This was a fast paced fun read. It was YA so it unfortunately it fell into some of the same YA pitfalls I tend to dislike, most notably, an instalove triangle. Not to fear though, the love interest doesn’t even show up until halfway into the book and the romance was in no way a central plot thread.

I loved the characters here. Kyra does not have special snowflake syndrome. She is the youngest full fledged Markswoman in the Order of Kali and her skills aren’t always up to par which was refreshing.
C.G. Drews
Not reviewing this one right now, but a few things to point to:
☆ It has a south-asian setting which is fantastic.
☆ Cast is quite thoroughly POC!!
☆ world building is pretty intense and detailed
☆ very very slow and used a lot of (tired) tropes
☆ kinda about murder nuns
☆ the old ancient wise ones tell you diddly squat
☆ um....slow
chri
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I AM HERE FOR SISTERHOODS OF BADASS WOMEN. My reading interests fall pretty neatly into two categories: books full of badass characters (the characters I want to become) and trashy romance novels (for the trashy person that I am.) I was so certain Markswoman would fall into the former category, but it ended up falling into neither. My emotions while reading went something like: bewildered -> confused -> quite frankly lost???? -> bored -> a little more than slightly angry -> confus ...more
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Markswoman
Series: Asiana #1
Author: Rati Mehrotra
Release date: January 23, 2018
Cliffhanger: Yes
HEA(view spoiler)

“To be evil is to suffer, and there is joy in releasing others from suffering."

When I first spotted this book, I just had to have it. The entire package was calling out to me, telling me that I needed to read it. A group of revered female assassins who use magic daggers to enforce justice and keep the peace? That cover? A debut YA fantasy author to try out? Y
Justine
This book was a big surprise for me. Why? Because I had started off listening to the audiobook in the car while my kids were with me and they insisted that I could only listen to it when they were there too. So I did - hence the lengthy time to completion. I thought maybe they might get bored, as this book is a bit slow in some parts, and has more than a few political machinations going on, but no, they LOVED IT. **

What I liked about this were the unique setting - post-apocalyptic but Indian ins
Maryam
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, canadian
This book is a fast paced YA read with solid characters and a good story.

It has a unique setting, it’s a post-apocalyptic middle eastern/Indian inspired world. The world is full of forgotten technologies that people do not understand the physics of them but use them.

Kyra is the main protagonist which is the newest markswoman of the oldest order in the Asiana. She is not the best and has lots of doubts about what she should do due to her tragic past, but she is the head of Order’s favorite and ma
Zoe Stewart (yerabooknerdzoe)
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: default
I was iffy about this one for the first 70 pages or so, but I really enjoyed it! There were times where it dragged a bit and could've been condensed, but overall it was better than I was expecting. There are still some things that I'm confused about with regards to the world-building, but I don't know if it'll ever be cleared up. The only way I think we'll ever learn more about the history (and the things that are confusing) is if there are some sort of flashbacks in the next book or insights in ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/03/18/...

There’s really not much more to say about Markswoman beyond the fact it was a thoroughly engaging and straight-up good read. I blew through this book in a little over a day, and I loved how what started off as a typical YA-ish premise eventually developed and grew into a more enigmatic, mature and interesting story.

Our protagonist is Kyra, a Markswoman in the Order of Kali, a sisterhood of elite warriors trained to prote
Lisa
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-release, fantasy
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2018/0...

This debut was such an enjoyable read for me. It had a great balance of world building and character drama and the pace kept things moving. The world in this is definitely interesting. It starts out feeling like a standard fantasy world with magic and swords, etc. But then as you keep reading and details are revealed, you come to realize it also is post-apocalyptic. I’ve seen this in a number of other books, but that certainly
Sabrina
Nov 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, 2018, dnf
tw: self harm
I read a few chapters of this book but I'm going to put it off for some time later. It was good so far like the world building and characters were interesting but what bugged me was that the MC cuts her arm after a kill (this happens in chapter 1). It is explained why though, to remember who they kill but I just.. I'll give this book another chance some time later.
- - -
So I did give this book another chance but it just fell flat for me. There were many great elements like the wor
Lena (The Printed Girl)
omg omg omg! I just one this book as my first goodreads giveaway!!!
I'm sooo happy. I entered more than 100 give aways for over a year and I FINALLY won!!
Can't wait to start reading this book!! :D

-----------------------------------

Great read! It was a bit confusing sometimes because it went very fast at some points, but still a great book.
Jessi ♡
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
heteronormativity and insta-love aside THE PLOT IS SO GOOD AND I LOVE ALL THEM FEMALE ASSASSINS, they can murder me i'll thank them
Crazy4Books
WARNING: Dont read more than the first paragraph of the goodreads/amazon summary because it will spoil half the book and make it a lot less entertaining.

I was hooked after the first line of the blurb "An order of magical-knife wielding female assassins ..." Set in a fascinating world where women with the gift can bond telepathically with their blades. These women train to become peace makers and executioners in a sisterhood of Markswomen. Kyra was taken in by their leader Shirin Mam after everyo
Austine (NovelKnight)
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-releases
I wanted to love this book. I wanted to devour it in one sitting and bask in the wonderfulness that is female assassins and with YA/adult crossover appeal and. . . and. . . and I could go on. But that's not what happened and it comes down to one thing, really, that made the rest of the book not work for me.

But before I get to that, some positives. First, the world building. The world building, y'all. It's gorgeous. Definitely fantasy but with an almost sci-fi feel from the Hubs that transport yo
Nadhira Satria
Oct 03, 2017 marked it as to-read
LOOK.AT.THAT.COVER
Sinead Anja (Huntress of Diverse Books)
Check out my book blog for more book reviews and other bookish posts!

I received an ARC of Markswoman from the publisher. It was one of my most anticipated releases for 2018. Fantasy stories about assassins are always sure to pique my interest. This is a new adult fantasy novel (MC is 19 years old).

It’s #ownvoices for Asian representation. It’s set in post-apocalyptic Asia.

__

The pacing in this book picks up momentum with every chapter. I couldn’t stop reading. The ending was a massive cliffhanger
Jaclyn
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Markswoman is an interesting fantasy title in the fact that it defies categorization, to a certain extent. While the uniqueness of the world appealed, I did find the execution a little disorienting and confusing. This was part coming-of-age story, a revenge plot, a romance, and an adventure. There were many things happening in and I felt that to be a detriment considering that it took so long for the plot to get moving. Readers go in to the book knowing that Kyra's mentor is going to die; it sa ...more
Beth Cato
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, fantasy, blurbed
I LOVED THIS BOOK. Post-apocalyptic magical knife-wielding female assassins FTW! I received a galley through the publisher (also my publisher), and was happy to supply a blurb:

"Markswoman is a breathlessly-paced post-apocalyptic fantasy with a highly original setting and characters you can't help but love (and hate)."
Amanda Kratz
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I like it, but it is SO SLOW. It takes forever to get going. (I think 150 pages so almost half of the book before the story starts)

Basic plot: the story is told from 2 view points Rushtan and Kyra. They are both assassins (Markswomen/Marksmen) who are tasked to carry out all deaths for this world. When Krya’s favorite mentor is murdered she goes seeks aid for vengeance/justice. (She is still trying to learn the difference)

So the world is interesting in that it is a bit like Shanara. 100s+ year’s
Andrea
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
I really wanted to like this story. And while I did think it was good, I think I would've liked it more had I actually read the book. This was a very rich and complex fantasy world, and some of the details kind of flew over my head since I was listening to the audiobook.

However, I did really like the MC, Kyra. She was determined to make things right for her Order despite her mentor being murdered and the new Mahimata spreading lies about her. Kyra kept persisting even when things got out of han
Nadine
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Full spoiler-free review now on my blog

Kyra is the youngest Markswoman in the Order of Kali, one of five orders that were created to bring peace to the world of Asiana. She and every member of the order fight with weapons that are infused with magic and are bound to their wielder. But aside from her duty to her order, she has a deep desire to avenge her murdered family.

In my opinion, this is totally enough to know before going into the book and to tell more would only spoil the twist the story t
Ella Zegarra
Jul 27, 2017 marked it as to-read
I just read " magical-knife wielding female assassins" and i'm sold
Queen Cronut
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I won an ARC of the sequel without reading the first book which is how I got introduced to this series.

The worldbuilding was so vibrant and unique. I liked the amount of detail this fantasy world is given without info-dumping everything. Assassins that can telepathically wield knives and are after earning their rank of a Markswoman to keep peace in the post-apocalyptic world, indeed a very unique, well-developed concept and very well thought out.

Additionally, I liked Kyra, the main protagonist
Alexandra
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1018
I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

The captivating world of Asiana awaits you in this stunning debut of Asian inspired fantasy! Kyra and her order of female assassins with telepathic blades rule over Asiana along with the other orders, keeping the peace and bringing justice. When betrayal strikes and Kyra escapes to the desert on the other side of Asiana and the male order of Khur, she and her new ally Rustan will disco
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Not grabbed by either character in the first few chapters. The concept's interesting, though I'm a bit confused by the world building thus far. I don't hate it, but I'm not sold enough to continue at this point. I will keep an eye on the series, and, if it concludes well, I may give this another shot down the road.
Amanda
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-hoopla
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
The synopsis sounds great, and the cover is gorgeous!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Kelsey
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-and-not-read
This is more like a 2.5 stars for me. And I don't really know how to review it.

I liked the story and it had a lot of potential. There were some plot holes or just some things that felt rushed.

The romance felt a little off to me. Like it went from 0-60 in a month, and we didn't get to learn about anything that happened in between.

I'm confused by the ending and I think it was abrupt, BUT I have an ARC of book 2, so at least I can jump back in to the world.

I didn't really have the "OMG I need to
Roy
Feb 14, 2018 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Started a sample but couldn't get into it. The writing seemed a little too descriptive and slow pace for YA.
  • Sinless (Eye of the Beholder #1)
  • Daughters of the Storm (Blood and Gold, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Torn (The Unraveled Kingdom #1)
  • Latchkey (Archivist Wasp Saga, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone (Tower of Winds, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • A Spark of White Fire (The Celestial Trilogy, #1)
  • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Seven Deadly Shadows
  • 4 Wizards
  • Whisper of the Tide (Song of the Current, #2)
  • Our Dark Stars
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
Born and raised in India, Rati Mehrotra now lives and writes in lovely Toronto. She is represented by Mary. C. Moore of Kimberley Cameron & Associates. Markswoman is her first book. You can check out her short stories at http://ratiwrites.com/short-fiction/

Asiana (2 books)
  • Mahimata (Asiana #2)
“The only binds are those that you lay on yourself, or those that you allow to be laid on you.” 3 likes
“To b evil is to suffer and there is joy in releasing others from suffering.” 1 likes