Start by marking “Creatures of Light (Woodwalker, #3)” as Want to Read:
Creatures of Light (Woodwalker, #3)

Creatures of Light

(Woodwalker #3)

Queens, countries, and cultures collided in Woodwalker and Ashes to Fire, the first two books in Emily B. Martin’s Creatures of Light series. From Mae’s guidance to retake Lumen Lake to Mona’s eye-opening adventure in Cyprien, we now see things from Gemma’s perspective—a queen in disgrace…and symbol of the oppressive power of Alcoro.

Queen Gemma—although she isn’t sure she
Published January 23rd 2018 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Creatures of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creatures of Light

The Skiffy and Fanty Show
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A trilogy of queens comes to an end with Creatures of Light, a breathtaking finale that ties up loose ends and left me aching for more. In this novel, Queen Gemma must put aside her own heart for the good of her country and relearn what it means to trust herself and others.

Martin’s style is clear and descriptive, and her worldbuilding is first class. Add to that a unique religious system, a growing sense of danger, and a plot twist I definitely didn't see coming, Creatures of Light is an excell
Lis Carey
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Queen Gemma of Alcoro is sitting in prison a the start of this book--a prison for the high-born, discreetly known as The Retreat, but a prison nonetheless. This trilogy has been a story of a clash of cultures and kingdoms, and Gemma's choices in the midst of larger conflicts in the previous books have branded her a traitor. She's awaiting trial and sentencing. There's no chance of changing the verdict, she's concluded, but she hopes she can at least make her case to her husband, King Celeno, and ...more
Amanda Nelson
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, once again, I went to war with myself on whether I should read this in one sitting immediately or try to read a chapter or two a night to make it last longer since I knew it would be the last one in the series. Obviously, I devoured it completely. We are talking 4 hours. I just couldn't help myself. The world was so engrossing once again and the story just kept me going. And my love for Colm. Sigh. These books are just so good. I recommend them to pretty much everybody I have ever mentioned ...more
Danielle T
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The point of view protagonist in the third and final installment of Emily B. Martin's Woodwalker series is a scientist, and I couldn't love her more. After the actions at the end of Ashes to Fire, Queen Gemma finds herself arrested by her own people. A familiar stranger breaks her out, and a tantalizing discovery could change the religion and politics of Alcoro forever.

I honestly thought the first arc would be the overarching book so as our characters approached McGuffin 1, I looked at my page
Elizabeth Mathis
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it

Queen Gemma—although she isn’t sure she still has claim to that title—is in prison.

To her people, it’s simply called “The Retreat,” but in the middle of nowhere, su
Celina
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Do you like nature? Do you like adventure? Do you like it when the author rips your heart out? If your answer to these questions is yes, please PLEASE give this series a try. Please. I'm begging you. I don't have anyone to talk to about these feelings.
Meltintalle
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Love triangles are among my least favorite tropes, especially when the author has previously sailed past a prime opportunity with a wink and a nod and allowed characters to be friends. Even here, it could have been ignored with a little judicious "la la la nothing to see here" from the reader except that this plot thread and a couple of more interesting ones were gathered together and sliced off. It was very disappointing after a series with a premise of "no easy answers, actions have far reachi ...more
Kenzie Barnett
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing end to an awesome series!! This yet another good book in the series as it focuses on the viewpoint of Queen Gemma in the aftermath of Ashes to Fire. Discovering her as a person and her situation is interesting as she tries so hard to reconcile science, religion, and stop a war from razing all the lands that have been explored. It helps explore more of the world in an interesting light and a different view point even as the reader finds familiar faces along the way. Would definite ...more
Dan Shonka
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the final installment of the trilogy. Once again, we have a new point of view, that of Queen Gemma. And once again, Ms. Martin does a wonderful job of describing the world of her characters. In all three volumes, it is no exaggeration to say the settings are important (and well developed) characters. There are some nifty twists and turns in this big finale, and as in the first two books, this one is got plenty of adventure, danger, and a dash of romance. It's a great and satisfying finis ...more
Harley Emmons
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't recommend this series enough. All three books feel so different, each woman's voice is unique and strong, but they connect so well in this final book. I cried. More than I'd like to admit. It's amazing how in the second book we had a completely different perspective of Gemma through Mona's perspective, and now she's so relatable. The attention to detail really brings the culture and landscapes to life. I don't know what to do with my life now.
Sandy
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent conclusion

This is a fitting end to a great trilogy. This follows the Acorean queen as she attempts to right the wrongs of the warfare her people have promulgated. Strong characters , well paved action and good resolution. You can't read this as a stand alone book though. You need the prior installments to have a sense of the plot
Tiffany
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emily Martin has such a talent for drawing you into the world of the Woodwalker series. All three in the trilogy are good, but I think the final installment might be my favorite. The three books are all so good, I highly recommend reading them!
Adrienne Stephens
Left me in awe and adoration

Such a beautiful series. I'll be recommending this to everyone I can. Thank you for giving us strong women of every caliber to look up to. This has been a fantastic journey!
Lisa
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

Although not a fantasy in the sense of magic, elves, etc., it is a strong story. The character development is just right. They seem realistic, with goodness as well as flaws. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Tamsen
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great characters and adventure

All three of these books have been enjoyable. Unique storytelling yet characters have familiar strengths and weaknesses that we all know. Loved the strong female characters. Loved it and I want more.

Becca Evans
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great end to this trilogy! A full review will be available soon on skiffyandfanty.com.
W B
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Callie
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Had to let this book digest for about a week before I could write a review. I feel like so much happened to wrap up a great series. Would highly recommend this series to anyone.
Rachel
I am a MESS and you all need to read this series. Martin is solidly on my autobuy list.
Jen
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**I received this as an egalley from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.**

From the moment I realized I had fallen in love with Woodwalker two years ago (I realized it around the same time I realized I had finished half of it in one day), I knew this series was going to be something else. And this conclusion was both beautiful and heartrending, perfectly imperfect in everything it was, and just a wonderful end to an incredible journey.

Emily B. Martin has such a way w
Feb 02, 2018
Kathleen Okkema
Jul 22, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Park ranger by summer, stay-at-home mom the rest of the year, I am also a freelance artist and illustrator. An avid hiker and explorer, my experiences as ranger helped inform the character of Mae and the world of WOODWALKER.

When not patrolling places like Yellowstone, the Great Smoky Mountains, or Philmont Scout Ranch, I live in South Carolina with my husband, Will, and two daughters, Lucy and Am

Woodwalker (3 books)
  • Woodwalker (Woodwalker, #1)
  • Ashes to Fire (Woodwalker, #2)