Start by marking “The Pope of Palm Beach (Serge Storms #21)” as Want to Read:
The Pope of Palm Beach (Serge Storms #21)

The Pope of Palm Beach

(Serge A. Storms #21)

From Florida’s king of mayhem—"compulsively irreverent and shockingly funny" (Boston Globe) New York Times bestselling author Tim Dorsey—comes a diabolically madcap adventure featuring the indomitable Serge A. Storms.

No one worships the Sunshine State as much as Serge A. Storms. Perpetually hunting Floridian arcana and lore, he and his permanently baked sidekick, Coleman,
Published January 30th 2018 by William Morrow

Melki
Shhh!

Serge and Coleman are on Juno Beach. There's a beautiful full moon hovering just above the waves, and we're whispering because the loggerhead turtles are coming onto the shore to lay their eggs. But, wait . . . a group of drunken young men (frat boys, perhaps) are staggering onto the beach. Oh, no! They're messin' with the turtles! Don't worry - here comes Serge to the rescue.

"Excuse me, gentlemen. I thought I would live my entire life without having to utter this sentence, but could you pl
Tim
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some decent humor, but not as much as other Serge stories. 5 of 10 stars
Sandy
“The sun was going down behind the Big Burger when the alligator came flying in the drive-through window.”

When a book opens with a sentence like that it can only mean one thing. God help us, they’re back. Yep, Serge A. Storms & his perma-stoned sidekick Coleman are on the road again, embarking on a literary tour of Florida. It goes without saying there will be some speed bumps along the way…you know, just the usual stuff. Angry monkeys, drug dealers, a hermit, sex toys with GPS…the mundane t
Fred Forbes
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's an annual event for me to pick up the new Serge Storms novel early in the year by buying it at a live appearance by Tim Dorsey. This time he walked into the Barnes and Noble looking visibly shaken and announced that there would be no humorous introduction or reading as us usual. Why? This was in South Florida and Tim was staying at the local hotel where parents were gathering to see if their kids were any of the 17 killed at Stoneham Douglas high and he observed the tension and heartbreak i ...more
Stacy Fetters
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”It’s the element of the unexpected, like that famous Monty Python surreal skit about the Spanish Inquisition. I remember that one, said Coleman. Nooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Nooooooobody expects the dildo!”

Serge and Coleman are back for another tale of diabolical pandemonium. Every book lovers dream comes true with a book tour inside of a book. Tim Dorsey is a man after my nerdy little heart.

Dorsey does something that he has never done before as we get some back history to o
Jeanne
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was quite centered around the "Pope of Palm Beach" - reliving much of his life and his protege, Kenny -- that it took away some of the enjoyment in tales of Serge and Coleman. Although the two "groups" did converge and Serge delivered his usual form of justice. Humorous as always for me; however, a bit of a reduced rating due to so much focus on Darby & Kenny. 6 out of 10.
Thomas Todd
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't enjoy a good romp with Serge and Coleman? I always enjoy Dorsey as I feel as if I'm getting 3 books in 1: mystery, hilarious black comedy and the non-fiction geographic history of Florida and its landmarks. Great read I'd recommend to all Dorsey fans as you will not be let down.
Sid Nuncius
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Pope Of Palm Beach.

Although there are 20 previous books in this series, this is my first Tim Dorsey and it worked fine as a stand-alone novel. Set in Florida, it's a very amusing farce featuring the manically curious and furious Serge Storms and his drug-addled sidekick, Coleman. They are a brilliant pairing, with Serge venting his righteous rage on various scumbags who do things like dump polluting materials in nature reserves or price vital medicines out of the reach of those who
sandra fuller
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure Dorsey

In our continuing love affair with Florida, Serge,Coleman and I continue learning things about the Sunshine State. The stories just keep getting better. Thank you, Tim.
Fred Svoboda
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent outing by Serge, Coleman and a full cast of Florida characters, including a paranoid author who spends thirty years hiding under his kitchen sink before making a comeback.

What makes this particularly fun is that Dorsey is juggling three time settings: Serge as a kid, the mid-80s, and the present. He bops back and forth from one to the other until, of course, all three lines merge near the end.

This is full of wonderful writing, a page or two at a time that work as complete mini-essays
Beverly
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crazy funny, deliciously violent. I've never read a book like this one, and then I find out there are at least 20 more with the same main character. Win!

Serge Storms is a nature-loving Florida-phile who takes his perpetually stoned pal Coleman on a literary tour of Florida. Along the way, he catches violators of the Florida ecology and executes them imaginatively and appropriately. How can you not love a serial killer who's an ecological vigilante?

He visits the homes of his favorite Florida auth
Tracy
Nov 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
humor? maybe a GR Best of 2018?
DNF really quickly on this one. So quickly that I wouldn't even mark it read, but I don't want to stumble onto this one again by mistake.

Ridiculous, one-dimensional characters in a contrived plot. I couldn't even laugh at it while drinking and making cheesecakes for Thanksgiving. Just not my vibe.

#lifeistooshorttoreadshittybooks
Art
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Serge is back for another of his rollicking Florida adventures, this one a literary tour of the state.

He and his half-baked sidekick, Coleman, return to their hometown, which leads to a lot of little Serge flashbacks and a plot that jumps between his childhood and current days -- and then meets up as only a Dorsey novel can do.

Some unlucky "contestants" face the creative wrath of Serge, who doles out punishments fitting the crime to those who do not respect the state and its environment, and we
Joann
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got this for free through a Goodreads giveaway.

It's been awhile since I read one of Tim Dorsey's books. After awhile, they sort of started to blend together, but this one reminded me just how amusingly nutty his writing is. This is the 21st! Serge Storms book, but mostly stands on its own (some prior knowledge of the characters will probably enhance your enjoyment). Serge's still a semi-homicidal Florida history buff/ part-time social avenger and his sidekick Coleman still can (and does) get hig
Ron Arden
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little different than the usual Serge and Coleman adventure, since they would up helping the friend of a legendary Florida figure. I liked the two timelines and how they eventually merged. Made me think of the Surf's Up animated feature.
Matt
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dorsey gets a bit meta and possibly autobiographical.

This is your standard Serge Storms manic romp through Florida, killing off those bad elements that need killing off in Florida, and doing it in wonderfully creative ways.

But 2 things give this a bump. First, I actually reacted out loud when the eponymous book loving, surfer king, tries to get his buddy hooked on reading and gives him Vonnegut (my favorite author). Second, this time Serge and Coleman are on a literary tour of Florida and eventu
Paul
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a reader we get greedy and demand more, and more of our favorite authors. And then when the author fails to deliver a 5 star book every time we get upset. I have always been able to rely on a Tim Dorsey book to make me laugh, educate me on Florida history, and keep me entertained. That was not the case with The Pope Of Palm Beach. Easily the weakest book in the whole series. For the first time ever I was bored reading a Tim Dorsey book!
It may be time for the author to either write a book with
Don Gorman
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
(3). Tim Dorsey is an acquired taste. No other recurring characters (in my realm) redefine insanity the way that Serge and Coleman do. I have had my ups and downs with this series, but I am glad to say this is one of the best offerings of the bunch. Two converging stories that are actually interesting, not just bizarre. Things do go astray about 2/3 of the way in, but thankfully, Dorsey puts it all back together at the end. It is always to nice to see old friends get better!
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! It’s so interesting when all the plot threads finally come together.
Bill Krieger
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok

DNF - page 100. It's not my cup of tea.

This series of books is known for being the Jimmy Buffett of novels... based in Florida and really celebrating the fact. Well, I'm not a big Jimmy Buffett fan either. There's a running joke that one of the main characters is always high. (shrug) I'm no teetotaller, but it just isn't funny.

There are a couple funny, smart parts.

"Whew, glad that awful shit finally wore off."

"So you're not going to take it again?"

Coleman gave him an odd look. "You don't k
Erin
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliant book in this series. I loved the addition of flashbacks to Serge and Coleman's childhoods and their madcap antics never cease to entertain and delight me. I've read just about every Serge book out there and this one just earned its place among my favorites.
Andrea Montague
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Serge's literary tour of Florida.
Thomas P. Cushman
Best of recent

Dorsey has recaptured that whatever it is that needed to be recaptured to put Serge back on top of his game. Very nice.
Josh Liller
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, florida
After reading 11 of the first 12 Serge Storms novels, I quit the series feeling it had gotten stale. I return now after 8 years with #21 (having skipped over 13-20, at least for now). Hearing about some of the locations featured in this novel got me interested.

Most of the story takes place in northern Palm Beach County. The novel is in two parts, with the first part a mix of Serge & Coleman's travels from the Keys to Palm Beach, flashbacks to Serge's childhood, and past events featuring the
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
I’m not sure that THE POPE OF PALM BEACH is Tim Dorsey’s best book, but it’s certainly my new favorite in the Serge A. Storms canon. If you’re looking to shake off the winter doldrums with a solid, laugh-a-page read with some innovative mayhem applied to deserving parties, this is the novel you want and need.

THE POPE OF PALM BEACH may be the 21st installment, but don’t hesitate to jump right in. Dorsey makes it quite easy for newcomers to make the acquaintance of Florida’s #1 fan, archivist and
Jennifer Tooker
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A literary tour like no other

The Pope of Palm Beach is the 21st in the Serge A. Storms series of novels by New York Times bestselling author Tim Dorsey. In this installment, Serge and Coleman are on a whirlwind “literary tour” of Florida as they visit historical sites of interest for many authors who at one time or another have called the Sunshine State home. The tour does include the usual “side trips” to correct an injustice here or there and culminates with Serge in his hometown of Riviera Be
Elaine Tomasso
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Farrago for an advance copy of The Pope of Palm Beach, the twenty-first novel to feature serial killer and local historian Serge Storms.

Serge and his sidekick, Coleman, are on an unorthodox literary tour of South Florida when they discover that Serge's hero, Kenny Reese, needs help.

This is part of a series which I have not read before so I was delighted to be offered the opportunity to try it out. Firstly I will say that the novel works well as a stand alone a
Kate Vane
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly described in the blurb as ‘part spree killer, part local historian’, Serge A Storms is a man with a strong moral code. He loves his native Florida and is committed to its ecology and culture and does not take kindly to those who undermine either. His version of ‘not taking kindly’ is both brutal and inventive.

In the present day, Serge is on a literary road trip round the state with his stoner friend Coleman, in search of the truth about a writer whose disappearance is a mystery. Mean
Angelnet
For Father’s Day I’ve chosen a book from a series that might appeal more to Dads out there. The Pope of Palm Beach is the latest in Dorsey’s Serge Storms series. Set in Florida, Serge and his sidekick Coleman are travelling through the state on a Literary tour. Irreverent and funny Serge is a character that has no comparison. A historian with a love of stories and books he has a tendency towards a redneck sense of justice and a leaning towards being a full blown serial killer.

This isn’t a book t
Sara
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is always so much going on in a Dorsey novel and The Pope of Palm Beach doesn't disappoint. Serge is avenging wrongs against society while taking us on a literary tour of Floria. The mob is doing what the mob does. And there is a young author honing his trade writing stories about Florida inside this novel about Florida, like a play within a play. I always enjoy the ride with Serge, Coleman, and Dorsey's quirky characters, especially this time because I realized why I am drawn to these boo ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Air Dance Iguana
  • Paradise Screwed: Selected Columns
  • St. Augustine and the Civil War
  • Tropical Swap (Key West, #10)
  • The Cat Sitter's Whiskers (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #10)
  • The Baritone Wore Chiffon (The Liturgical Mystery #2)
  • First Blush : A Meegs Miscellany
  • All's Fair, Mrs. Biddle
  • This Dark Place (Detective Kelly Moore, #1)
  • Last Train to Paradise: Henry Flagler and the Spectacular Rise and Fall of the Railroad that Crossed an Ocean
  • Beluga (Nick Reid, #2)
  • Wonderkid
  • The Wrong Dead Guy (Another Coop Heist #2)
Tim Dorsey was born in Indiana, moved to Florida at the age of 1, and grew up in a small town about an hour north of Miami called Riviera Beach. He graduated from Auburn University in 1983. While at Auburn, he was editor of the student newspaper, The Plainsman.

From 1983 to 1987, he was a police and courts reporter for The Alabama Journal, the now-defunct evening newspaper in Montgomery. He joined

Serge A. Storms (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1)
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms, #2)
  • Orange Crush (Serge Storms, #3)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
  • The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • The Big Bamboo (Serge Storms, #8)
  • Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)
  • Atomic Lobster (Serge Storms, #10)
“Nobody ever brought up the hairpiece, and Salenca thought it was the perfect crime.” 0 likes