Start by marking “Dawn (Final Awakening, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dawn (Final Awakening, #1)

Dawn

(Final Awakening #1)

When the Blackout arrives, Dax Harper finds himself alone and fighting for survival on the chaotic streets of New Orleans. He is on the run, desperately searching for his estranged sister as the riots intensify. An unexpected encounter with his ex-girlfriend thrusts Dax into a leadership position—one he’s not sure he can accept. As the hours pass, the city floods, pitting ...more
Published May 1st 2017 by Molten Universe Media

To ask other readers questions about Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn

Kate M. Colby
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
A gripping, post-apocalyptic thriller that gets right into the action and doesn't let up. Dax serves as an engaging anti-hero and watching him and his group navigate apocalyptic New Orleans kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I wish more explanation about how The Blackout happened and the unanticipated paranormal threat were offered in this book, but I'm sure it will be in the rest of the series. Overall, a fun and quick read.
Ashley Rich
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
I have so many conflicting opinions about this book. Did it have issues? yes. was it riddled with stereotypes and vulgar slang and dialogue? yes. was the writing amazing? I dont know, I audiobooked it. Did I almost DNF it ... yes, yes I did. but then something happened. About 1/2 way through, the book took a complete 180 and had me on the edge of my seat begging for more. And you better believe I already have book two ready for a listen.

Action, adventure, heartache and despair. Dawn has it all!
PJ Lea
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not all heroes are good men.

Dax comes back to New Orleans to find his sister and her children after an unknown disaster sends the world into a downward spiral.
It starts off with looters, violence and the threat of a flood, then it turns creepier with the discovery of the screamers. No one is safe.
I liked it. Tense, graphic, violent with an unexpected ending. Dax is easy to like despite the uncertainty about his past.
Shannon
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy J. Thorn's writing, and Dawn continues that trend. Dawn is set in New Orleans after a blackout. Dawn follows Dax, who is searching for his sister, when he comes upon his ex-girlfriend, and a group that has been hiding out at a daycare center. They are in a race against time, danger, gangs, and an enemy that threatens everyone's survival. Dawn is a great start to the Final Awakening series. All the main characters are fleshed out, and you understand their motivations for their acti ...more
Jonas Lee
I liked the premise of the book, it reminds me a lot of the beginning of The Strain mixed with The Purge in some ways. That lawless feel of no system in place and people left to their own devices. The organization of the antagonist gangs and their need to produce drugs made me wonder how long the black out has been, that reference point only gets mentioned once and I think it tripped me up later in the book. Overall, great writing and dialog from the authors and a start to a promising series.
Linda
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling adventure

I loved this book! Great characters and tons of action. What starts off as a book about power loss in New Orleans takes a turn when the main character Dax sees humans with super strength and glowing orange eyes. The action was nonstop and I can hardly wait 10 more days to read the next book in the series. What are these creatures and why do they want Dax so badly. Great read don't miss it!
dennis barron
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dawn: Final Awakening. J. Thorn

All power is gone from New Orleans. An EMP? No one knows. FEMA will not be coming to help. No police . No help is on the way. Lawlessness exists . Survival is based on strength in numbers or weaponry. Dax is a survivor, an escapee from prison. This is a chilling tale of survival! Enjoyed immensely.
Bobbie Lee
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent

The story line is decent but the author falls into the trap that some do by starting the paragraph with the characters first name way too much. It's not done every time but enough to be annoying. A few typos here and there. All in all the book is good but not great.
Christine E Butler
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Worth the read

Okay, so I was a little bored in the first few chapters, but it gets so much better! I'm so disappointed that the story end where it did, but I can't wait to continue in book 2!
Jessie Mckissick
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book

I loved this story, however I felt the beginning somewhat slow. I would have liked to have had a better understanding of what actually happened to cause the blackout. I will continue to read this series. I'm hooked.
Adrienne
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another Thorn winner

Really enjoyed this 1st book. Thorn & Bohannon make a great writing team. Cannot wait for the next book in this series.
Tricia Hungerford
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing

Love fiction like this. Something is always around the next corner. Can't wait to read the next book in the series!
NormaCenva
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This was so good!
Shawn Remfrey
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
Another excellent post-apocalyptic read that was simply devoured. Zero complaints.
Jackie
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow. Started out a bit slow, but then picked up full speed. Just couldn't put it down. Loved every bit. Anxiously awaiting the second book
SUSAN BONILLA
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A killer writing team!

This is a post-apocalyptic thriller with a strange, new twist. No synopsis here, just saying if this is your genre, then this is a must read!
Lisa
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as i expected..

I felt the storyline was okay but not interesting enough to go to the second book usually it takes me two maybe three days to read a book this one I had to put down start reading another book... Then I'd go back it didn't hold my interest for very long I won't be getting book two.
Carol  Duff
Aug 21, 2017
Mickenzie Jensen
Jun 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Want a story that’s rooted in a fundamental aspect of being human?

I believe reading dark fiction can be healing. My overriding mission is to connect with you through my art, and I hope to inspire you to do the same. I’m a word architect and driven visionary. I’m obsessed with heavy metal, horror films and technology. And I admire strong people who are not afraid to speak their mind.

I grew up in an